• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Exchange from SFX: Grand Luxxe 2 bedroom, Nuevo Vallarta

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Our daughter was trying to find something tropical for a week over Memorial Day, so I called Nathan at SFX and was offered a Grand Luxxe unit for a $200 upgrade, and I had the SFX bucks to pay that. I was thrilled to get anything last-minute. Our daughter is also thrilled but has questions about rental car. She was able to get a car at Budget cheap-$60/wk. How much would she need a car? I have never been to Mexico, and she has only been there on cruise stops. I am thinking a car would be necessary to get groceries and such. They really cannot afford to eat all meals out.

They have no intention of going on a timeshare tour and will be adamant. She is a strong woman and can overcome all of that pressure.

Also, is there a boat and train that go around to the Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace pools and amenities? I saw both in pictures.

Do you recommend a car, or is it dangerous to drive away from the resort?

Last edited:

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
First off, that rental quote probably doesn't include the required liability insurance in Mexico. That can add a large amount to the rental (could easily double or triple the total cost).

With that said, we have been to the Grand Mayan NV a few times, and we have never gotten a car. We used taxis to get around when needed. Wal-Mart is a cheap taxi ride away, so that would be our first trip after arriving for groceries, etc. The resort has several restaurants, and there are several more within walking distance at the marina, so there are plenty to provide variety for a week's stay without taking a cab. Fare to downtown PV is a bit more expensive (~$15), but even if they went there 2-3 times during the week, I think they would still save money over renting a car. And that doesn't factor in the hassle of driving, parking, possible shakedowns from the police, etc. You can also take a bus to downtown for much less, but I don't have any experience with that.

Also, remember that the resort provides free a shuttle from the airport on your arrival.

Kurt

Last edited:

taffy19

Reaction score
Also, parking your car at that big resort is quite a hassle so also would recommend taking a taxi and shop for the whole week. It is a beautiful resort but very spread out. The Grand Luxxe condos are luxurious.

If they want to go to downtown Puerto Vallarta, there are very inexpensive busses or even a taxi ride isn't that bad in price either. It will be a much more relaxing vacation without having to drive.

They make strange left turns in Puerto Vallarta and even our neighbor, who drives all the time, got in an accident this year making a left turn. He is a very good driver and you cannot hesitate or be a timid driver at all.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Grand Luxxe is gorgeous and totally worth it. They will pick them up at the airport and bring them to the resort for free.

From there, I would use cabs. There is also a small grocery store on site.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our daughter was trying to find something tropical for a week over Memorial Day, so I called Nathan at SFX and was offered a Grand Luxxe unit for a $200 upgrade. I was thrilled to get anything last-minute. Our daughter is thrilled but has questions about rental car. She was able to get a car at Budget cheap-$60/wk. How much would she need a car? I have never been to Mexico, and she has only been there on cruise stops. I am thinking a car would be necessary to get groceries and such. They really cannot afford to eat all meals out.

They have no intention of going on a timeshare tour and will be adamant. She is a strong woman and can overcome all of that pressure.

Also, is there a boat and train that go around to the Grand Mayan and Mayan Palace pools and amenities? I saw both in pictures.

Do you recommend a car, or is it dangerous to drive away from the resort?

I love Nathan! He's the best @ SFX.

The train was non-functional when we went in January of 2015.

I'd avoid the car but only because the cost (IMO) is a bit prohibitive with the special insurance you need, and I don't really like driving in foreign places (even out of state--LOL).

I want to say the taxi ride to the shopping village in NV wasn't bad, but the ride into downtown PV was a bit pricey (I can't remember the exact, but I want to say 120 pesos per person each way)?

As much as I like the GL, if we go again to NV/PV we'll get Nathan to check into the Sheraton that's closer to downtown and the malecon.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Grand Luxxe is AWESOME!!! She should just choose to take a taxi when she needs to leave the resort. They do charge for parking and PV is not as easy to park in as other places. The restaurants are not too expensive - epeically if you factor in taxi fare. I would do 1 or two days in PV and the rest at the resort.

For a first time visit, like Hurnik, I would choose Buganvilas, if possible. We own at both resorts, but Buganvilias has the BEST location and you can walk 3 blocks to the Mega, across the street to OXXO,and it is less than a mile to the Malecon area.

Last edited:

nomadio

TUG Member
Reaction score
If she insists on a rental car she should use Gecko. Many bad reports about Budget.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't rent a car for the week. The mandatory USD$75 resort fee covers transportation from the airport to Grand Luxxe, and it's an easy $5 taxi ride to WalMart to pick up groceries/libations.

We thought the resort restaurants were quite good, and were very happy with the meal coupon vouchers (6 breakfasts PLUS 6 lunches or dinners for USD$224). They can buy one package and share it. "Breakfast" is served until 12:30pm, and dinner portions were large/easy enough to split (a lot of people were doing that when we were there). The calamari appetizer at Gong was a meal for two all by itself! There is a TUG thread on the meal vouchers.

Also, tell them Restaurant Week is happening May 15-31. If they want a spectacular evening out on the town, it's a great opportunity to try Cafe des Artistes, Vista Grill, or other fine dining restaurants at truly bargain prices!

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The resort is very isolated but you can get to the Marina area by walking up the beach. The Italian restaurant was very good.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
$60 a week for a rental? Think about that for a moment, maybe two if it doesn't compute.

That's the correct amount, and it's through AAA.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For a first time visit, like Hurnik, I would choose Buganvilas, if possible. We own at both resorts, but Buganvilias has the BEST location and you can walk 3 blocks to the Mega, across the street to OXXO,and it is less than a mile to the Malecon area.

I was offered Buganvillas, also, for the same date, and it is what I would have taken because I am familiar with Sheraton. I am just imagining the high-pressure they will undergo to attend a sales presentation.

I looked at more photos of the resort. Amazing. There is a 1 bed for the same dates we could take (through II), and it's tempting to join them. But we have just too much yard work and exterior house painting to get done for our son's wedding on June 10th. We cannot possibly go, though I would love to.

I am going to talk her out of the rental car. They are young and the kids are 6 and 9, so they should be able to walk where they want to go. Our poor son-in-law will be overheated all of the time, while our daughter and grandkids will enjoy the warm, humid weather at that time of year. He was miserably hot on our cruise last year. He is very fit and works out every day. I have no idea why some people are like that, except Colorado is so dry, and we all have issues with humidity, except our daughter, and she loves it.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Vidanta Neuvo Vallarta

The resort is very isolated but you can get to the Marina area by walking up the beach. The Italian restaurant was very good.

I would not call it isolated - If you do not wish to leave , I would call it complete and self contained with good on site restaurants , store and markets .

The Vidanta NV complex of resorts has complete daily maid service and all towels replaced daily etc . I believe it has about 5000 employees

It is less than 15 minutes from the PV airport .

Cindy - since this is your daughter's first trip to Mexico and to Puerto,Vallarta
I would suggest she skip the car rental and enjoy the sun , ocean ,pools etc
and resort amenities - since this is a vacation .
here would be a suggested itinerary / ideas

Book the free transportation to resort through the Grand Luxxe concierge email
this is included in the $ 75 resort exchanger fee .You will need to give flight information / time

Tell her not to talk to anyone in the " shark tank " when they have their luggage
and exit thru the doors into the main airport . Everyone in the " shark tank " is connected to non Vidanta TS presentations . The Transportation company that has the Vidanta contract meets them outside . The concierge email will give specifics .

luggage is brought to your suite by bell boys - she should tip them - as it is a significant income source for all staff . ( so have some US singles and $ 5 's
for the cab driver and bell boys ) Once checked she will get a bracelet that also functions as your room key . Every thing including tips at pool side service can be charged to your room (A weekly tip for the specific maid who does you room
we do in cash - usually a day or two before check out / $5 a day / 500 +pesos
is my norm )

I believe you generally get access to the room / suite around 3pm
You must give them a credit card - but can pay however you want -when you check out .All on resort charges are in pesos - so at current exchange rate everything is less than in 2015

Assuming they arrive between noon and 3 pm - I would would go to a pool and
have lunch - changed to room number If a little later - have an early / lite diner and then walk around the resort - to figure out were everything is located .

If they want to fill the fridge with snacks and do some cooking - I personally would go to Walmart or Mega THE NEXT DAY - when less tired from getting up early for the flight etc . The Nuevo Walmart is a $ 5-7 cab ride as others mentioned . It also has other stores there if " going to the mall " for an adventure is something your daughter enjoys . Since it is Mexico it is enough of an adventure for a first time visitor since all the " regular " mall stores are different from American ones .My wife enjoyed the comparison window shopping this Feb at that Mall , and she has been in lots of stores in Mexico .

If they need caffeine in the morning - I would bring a day or two supply with me
so I can get up that first morning and have a cup of coffee and relax (and possibly a breakfast snack ) and then go off to get food for the week .

I would suggest they mostly enjoy the resort and plan - one or two " off resort"
adventures
Close by - via the beach walk mentioned is the Nuevo Vallarta Marina - which has restaurants.

To do this - exit at the Grand Mayan end of the resort and walk about 1200 feet -
past 5 non Vidanta condo buildings . She will then see the SEA GARDEN - which is Vidanta owned and can exit the beach there . There is an OXXO convenience store in view of the street side Sea Garden entrance and local bus service and collectives stop across the street Bus service come every 5 minutes If they wish to take the bus the Sea Garden staff can explain how - since this is how they all get to work .If you walk down the street to the left you find the NV Marina restaurants .

In Puerto Vallarta - the Malecon that Phyllis mentioned is very nice and has lots of nearby restaurants . We have eaten at two that have seating on the second floor - overlooking the Malecon and we ate watching the sun set into the Pacific Ocean .

Yelapa - is a good day trip . It can be done on your own by taking the Mismaloya
bus from centro PV and than the water taxi 's . HOWEVER for a first time Visitor to Mexico and PV I would strongly suggest using Vallarta Adventures (and paying the extra )We did it on our own 2 years ago - but it was during our 5 th PV / 10 th
Mexican visit - so the logistics of " do it yourself" were manageable .

We have not done "Rhythm of the Night" by Vallarta Adventures but it has great and consistent reviews . It is an evening diner trip by boat to
( the beach is part of John Houston former PV estate - I believe )

There are on resort travel agencies that can book these adventures . I believe you can get a very good price by agreeing to go to a " presentation " Not suggesting - just saying .
Good breakfast - but the 90 minutes starts when you get to the TS sales floor - so plan on 3 hrs +

Buscarias - is a nice beach side town 20 minutes north of the resort by cab or bus
Beachside bars and restaurants , but a real town were locals live .

Hope she enjoys the vacation in PV
Bet you go next year

The more you go the more you explore PV !!

but I suggest for a first time visitor that one morning trip to The Walmart & Mall and one late afternoon to evening off resort dinner and one possible all day adventure is plenty for a first time visitor to Mexico.If they do less than that and just enjoy the resort - but want to go back again - then it was still a good exchange .

Cindy - just read your post above - with the kids ages . I would think Grand Luxxe makes more sense with the kids than Buganvillas There is a kids club near the Grand Mayan & Lazy River etc
Buganvillas has a great reputation and is close to restaurants etc . We own Mayan Palace Puerto Vallarta Marina and like that best because of easy access to PV . Both would be fine for kids BUT
Vidanta Neuvo Vallarta has everything !!!

Some of my post will work better for 2 adults without children - but I will leave as is for other readers

Last edited:

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
The kids will love the lazy river, wave pool and water slide. These are all at the Grand Mayan pool/beach area. They will not want to leave the resort. There are lots of pools at this resort and the beach is huge! They should have a blast. :)

saabman

Reaction score

AAA won't guarantee the price once you're there. Add in the required insurance, per Mexican law, and the rental will run $250-$350 a week. CC insurance coverage will not be accepted. Anyway, I see your not going to rent so that's a good thing and the surprise and frustration you'll experience won't occur.

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
I didn't realize your grandkids were going, too. With 6 and 9 year olds with them, I doubt they'll ever want to leave the lazy river and wave pool all week!

(I see Pittle just posted the same thing.)

Also, if he works out regularly, your son-in-law will love the gym at Grand Luxxe.

Last edited:

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
I didn't realize your grandkids wee going, too. With 6 and 9 year olds with them, I doubt they'll ever want to leave the lazy river and wave pool all week!

(I see Pittle just posted the same thing.)

Also, if he works out regularly, your son-in-law will love the gym at Grand Luxxe.

Cindy - have we All sold you - on joining them for Memorial Day / week ?

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score
^ ^ ^ I bet Cindy wishes she was going!^ ^ ^

My son and daughter-in-law are headed down there soon, and we're staying home to watch the grandkids. I just couldn't convince my son that it could be a romantic trip with the three kids and his parents tagging along! :shrug:

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I do wish we were going, but this is a trip over the kids' 12th anniversary, so I guess we will stay home. The kids are super excited to stay in such a fancy place. I would be too.

They always travel as a family and have been so many places, including Germany, France, Italy, Scotland and England with the kids. The kids were little during all of the trips to Europe, so the stroller was the luggage carrier and they trekked those kids everywhere. They have more energy than I do, that's for sure. I think my grandson was three-and-a-half for the Scotland/ England trip, and the kids stayed in hotels only two nights at a time. They didn't want timeshares, which seems odd to me, of course.

itchyfeet

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've been to Nuevo Vallarta many times. All good suggestions here. We love going to the Mega store to shop because it is an experience in itself. However, there is usually someone there who will offer to "help" find something. These are timeshare wranglers looking to book appointments. Also under no circumstances would I attend a presentation at the resort. The Vidanta group (Grand Mayan) is well known for extremely high pressure and long (sometimes eight hours) torture. I agree with the others who suggest not renting a car since this is their first trip and it is only for a week--taxis will work just fine for the time they will be there.

Last edited:

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Sorry for the stupid question, but this thread piqued my interest. What is the Grand Luxe/ Grand Mayan/Mayan Palace? Are they all parts of the same resort or interconnected resorts, adjacent properties, or??? Which has the Lazy River, wave pool and water slides?
Thanks for the info.

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*

It is better to rent through the Buget Rental Car website than an outside vendor regarding Mexico because Budget does include the mandatory 3rd party liability in their rate. This is not offered in outside vendor rates from what I have seen. Most outside vendors have a disclaimer about the insurance offer through the rental agencies.

We rented two cars last January in PV at Budget through their website. Before we left home I printed the portion of the rental agreement that states the 3rd party liability is included in the rate and my credit card was good for the rest. They do place a $2500 hold on the card if you refuse the insurance packages they offer. The rental agency tried to say we needed to purchase their insurance but backed off when I showed them their agreement.

BTW, its valet parking at the Lux. I think the cost is about $35.00 + tips.

Bill

Aussie girl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Cindy,

They are going to love it and never want to leave. This will be our third stay and we have never left the resort except to buy groceries our first trip. Last year we made do with the new market onsite. We only eat one meal out a day.

I think the 6 and 9 year old will be too tired in the evenings to want to leave the resort. The two bedrooms are huge, they can spend the evening in the little plunge pool on the balcony.

taffy19

Reaction score
I wouldn't rent a car for the week. The mandatory USD$75 resort fee covers transportation from the airport to Grand Luxxe, and it's an easy $5 taxi ride to WalMart to pick up groceries/libations.

We thought the resort restaurants were quite good, and were very happy with the meal coupon vouchers (6 breakfasts PLUS 6 lunches or dinners for USD$224). They can buy one package and share it. "Breakfast" is served until 12:30pm, and dinner portions were large/easy enough to split (a lot of people were doing that when we were there). The calamari appetizer at Gong was a meal for two all by itself! There is a TUG thread on the meal vouchers.

Also, tell them Restaurant Week is happening May 15-31. If they want a spectacular evening out on the town, it's a great opportunity to try Cafe des Artistes, Vista Grill, or other fine dining restaurants at truly bargain prices!
"Vallarta Lifestyles" is a great weekly newspaper to subscribe to when you go to Puerto Vallarta often. Here are the restaurants that will participate this year and Cafe des Artistes is one of them again.

youppi

TUG Member
Reaction score

By curiosity, if somebody books 2 or more consecutive weeks, do they charge the $75 fee for each weeks since the $75 covers transportation from the airport and it will not be used for the others weeks (already at the resort) ?

If they charge the $75 for each of the other weeks, do they offer for free the transportation to the airport at the end since the transportation from the airport has not been used for those others weeks ?

Thanks