• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Hyatt ROFR [moved/merged]

sts1732

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunset Harbor Key, west
Pinion pointe Sedona, az.
So the latest twist in our process of exploring options at Highlands Inn is that we are considering buying 1 bedroom wk 32 & 33 full ocean view. These weeks cover Monterey Car Week and sometimes they include the Sunday finale which is the Concours d Elegance. Our thought is that for the next 20 or so years until we retire we'll use one week and rent the other at a premium using Redweek, this site, Airbnb, VRBO, etc. We should be able to rent the week that covers Monterey Car Week at a nice premium over the annual MF....maybe even enough to cover the MF for both units. In 20 years or so I can see us using the two weeks ourselves every year. We have two sons, so eventually when we kick the bucket, they'll each get a week to enjoy until 2079.

Does this make any sense or are we dreaming and headed for financial disaster thinking we'll get more than our MF when we try to rent out one of the weeks?
If you could get wk. 32 or 33 at Highlands, that would be AWSOME !! Carmel fills up for the big show. Another one would be in Jan.( I believe) that's when they bring in all the big name chefs. for a week and they use Highlands exclusively. You would have no problem I would think with 32 or 33, and getting a premium. We rented our week for the 4th. for 2K with no problems.
Saying all that for 20 yrs. you need to prepared to pay ever increasing MF's.

Last edited:

heathpack

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
My thinking is Hyatt would have to add new resorts from outside the current HVC list. Even then, there would be similar limitations for access to quality weeks since those owners would already have their own internal limitations. Of course any new resorts would have to be superior quality in attractive locations.

For those HRC owners who never use their owner unit/week and rely on points, the total points program MIGHT offer some benefit? But giving up a deeded week ownership at a high value HRC resort doesn't cut it. Resale value is ialso a criteria!

We own a pretty decent week (week 22, sometimes Memorial Day) at High Sierra in Tahoe. But we've never used it or even seen the resort. No reason why, really. At first, we just had one timeshare & interval trades were really appealing. Now, my cycling coach lives in Reno, so if we head up there, we typically stay with him.

We're for sure people who would consider a buy-in to a pure points system. But we would not give up our week and pay $10k+. If the buy-in really turns out to be that high, it will just take too long for the points system to build inventory. Sure, going to the Hyatt Maui would be great. But not worth it. A friend just built a house in Kauai, we could just go there instead.

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
... going to the Hyatt Maui would be great. But not worth it...

It would be hard to believe that a Maui owner would give up their unit to the Total Points program. It's almost impossible to get into Maui with the current HRC system, again because those owners don't give up their week.

An HRC member who owns a lesser quality resort in a very low-end week might very well be tempted to give it up, but then a low-end week usually doesn't equate to very many points.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
It would be hard to believe that a Maui owner would give up their unit to the Total Points program. It's almost impossible to get into Maui with the current HRC system, again because those owners don't give up their week.

An HRC member who owns a lesser quality resort in a very low-end week might very well be tempted to give it up, but then a low-end week usually doesn't equate to very many points.

I was assuming that because Maui is not sold out, they could just sell some of that inventory as pure points. No? They can't do this?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was assuming that because Maui is not sold out, they could just sell some of that inventory as pure points. No? They can't do this?

If Hyatt switched over from deeded units to just points, for me, I would not spend that kind of capital for Maui. Maybe some other resorts for 2200 points tho.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points
If Hyatt switched over from deeded units to just points, for me, I would not spend that kind of capital for Maui. Maybe some other resorts for 2200 points tho.

Totally agree. But I think people do stuff like this, especially if they are promised a booking advantage for their home resort.

tegs_1980

TUG Member
Reaction score
We own a pretty decent week (week 22, sometimes Memorial Day) at High Sierra in Tahoe. But we've never used it or even seen the resort. No reason why, really. At first, we just had one timeshare & interval trades were really appealing. Now, my cycling coach lives in Reno, so if we head up there, we typically stay with him.

We're for sure people who would consider a buy-in to a pure points system. But we would not give up our week and pay $10k+. If the buy-in really turns out to be that high, it will just take too long for the points system to build inventory. Sure, going to the Hyatt Maui would be great. But not worth it. A friend just built a house in Kauai, we could just go there instead.
silly question but what do you do with your Hyatt High Sierra Lodge week then?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We also own late spring/early summer at Hyatt Sierra and have only visited one time. We usually use the points associated with the week to trade internally within Hyatt or deposit it into Interval. We have gotten some excellent exchanges using II.. High Sierra is a wonderful resort. We were there in late May this year and it was packed. Can't say enough good things about this resort and the North side of the lake.

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Points

We exchange it, sometimes through Hyatt, sometimes through Interval, sometimes through SFX, sometimes privately.

alexadeparis

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just got word today that my 1400 point EOY purchase of Wild Oak had ROFR waived at $244.50

tntintexas

Reaction score
ROFR Waived at Wild Oak Ranch

Hi All - I'm new to this board but have been reading posts regarding Hyatt resales for the past month. We are in the process of purchasing a resale 2 bedroom lock off (1400 points) - week 51 - $1500 - at Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch. My parents are owners there (purchased directly from Hyatt about 11 years ago) and we go there every year with our kiddos and thought it would be a great purchase. We just heard back yesterday that ROFR was waived!! Yay!! We are excited about becoming owners there.

Creekway6

Reaction score
Just got word today that my 1400 point EOY purchase of Wild Oak had ROFR waived at $244.50

Congrats. It's interesting to read about all this ROFR activity elsewhere in the Hyatt system. That certainly hasn't been out experience with Wild Oak.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
I'm glad to hear of some positive ROFR news (for buyers). I still would like to get into Hyatt (home resort in Florida). So far one lost to ROFR, one seller who rejected my offer. Perhaps I will try again? My in-laws just committed to a retirement place in Ft. Myers, so Coconut Plantation has move up the list.

Zarasa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Waiting...

We are still waiting to hear back on our deal for a week at Highlands Inn. The consensus opinion (experienced agent + my research + this board) is that we are likely to loose the deal. Will report back on the result later this month.

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
That price would work at Beach House or Pinon Pointe but Carmel pricing is going for higher, BUT that being said it seems Hyatt has been going through some months where they buy back a lot and other months where they seem to let weeks go through.
Sorry that doesn't help but it is a waiting game. When ours was bought back we didn't find out until almost the whole month went by. Good luck! We just got back from Highland Inn. It is a beautiful property!

newportbeach

TUG Member
Reaction score
As to the rental aspect, think of it as work. Does it make sense to pay $6300 to work to make maybe $500 of profit. Not if it takes 12-13 weeks to recoup your investment, nor if it takes even 6-8 years.

Enjoy Hyatt Carmel. I leave for car week tomorrow and the experience is truly unique.

scsu_hockey_fan

TUG Member
Reaction score
For the remainder of 2016, our focus at HPO will continue to be on enhancing our sales and marketing infrastructure and channels to increase the velocity and efficiency of sales as well as support the launch of the Pure Points Club. We also expect to open the Sales Preview Gallery in Key West and commence construction of new phases at our Bonita Springs and San Antonio Resorts later this year.

Was from their recent conference call. Transcript is here:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/397...-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

This info along with the reports of the current push for resale owners "to purchase a week from the developer to make the resale week 'whole' ", sounds like practice for when they go live with the new program. Which makes me think somehow the owners who bought from the developer originally will be able to exchange into the new trust system using gold Passport points? Just a thought.

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Once you hear back, visit KAL's site to report the pertinent Sale/ROFR details.

http://www.bywindkal.com/Hyatt/purchaseform.html
I guess this is a question for Kal, but I can't see how to view recent results. Just from posts here, it's become obvious that the ROFR environment has changed recently, but the interim report that is linked has nothing from 2012-2016. Am I missing something?

Kal

TUG Member
Reaction score
The ROFR database is populated based upon input from buyers of Hyatt properties on the resale market. There hasn't been meaningful participation in the last few years, thus the database does not reflect current activity.

I would encourage everyone to submit any transaction information that is not included in the report. Thank you for your continuing support:hi:

grevas1

Reaction score
The ROFR database is populated based upon input from buyers of Hyatt properties on the resale market. There hasn't been meaningful participation in the last few years, thus the database does not reflect current activity.

I would encourage everyone to submit any transaction information that is not included in the report. Thank you for your continuing support:hi:

Submitted information regarding the two Hyatt resale purchases over the last year, both passed ROFR. Always looking forward to good vacations. And thank you Kal for the excellent and detailed information on your website.

Last edited:

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation

Thanks! I'll submit my failure. And I'm trying again. Wish me luck!

Zarasa

TUG Member
Reaction score
Highlands ROFR Waived

We are still waiting to hear back on our deal for a week at Highlands Inn. The consensus opinion (experienced agent + my research + this board) is that we are likely to loose the deal. Will report back on the result later this month.

We got past ROFR yesterday. Our deal is for:

Horizon Ocean View
Week 49
Gold 1880 pts

Price: $3550 for timeshare + $1600 for 1880 points balance + $500 escrow + $650 Hyatt transfer = $6300 total

We wanted to spend $4-5K total so this is a little more than what we wanted to spend on a gold week at Highlands but all the talk about ROFR drove us to a higher price point.

This is a bittersweet win though. After going into escrow I was able to access Hyatt's online portal for owners and quickly realized that 1880 points is not enough to meet our travel needs. So we assumed we'd loose this week and started shopping for a 2520 point week which would meet our needs. Financially if one can afford ~$11K for one of those weeks they make a lot more sense.

Now we are "stuck" with this 1880 point week 49 and considering our next move:

1 - use this years 1880 points then sell it and keep working on 2520 point week

2 - buy another 1880 point week at Highlands or elsewhere (High Sierra) so we have 2 weeks at locations nearby that we can easily use once we're empty nesters in 9 years. In the meantime we'll have 3760 Hyatt and II points to use for our travel needs. But we'll be paying 2x annual maintenance fees.

3 - buy a cheap non-Hyatt timeshare that we'll never use just to get the points which we'll put into II to use with the 1880 points we now own. For over a decade now we have used HomeAway/VRBO (and recently Airbnb) a lot when we travel so getting into II would be a big shift for us.

Thoughts, other options? Did we get a good deal? Wish I could be more excited about this win, but we had already set our sights on something else after being frustrated trying to make 1880 points work for us.

Thanks for any input and the insights already shared over the last month of membership here.

TUG98

Reaction score
I'm a new tug member and new to the bbs. We are in contract for Hyatt Highlands Inn Gold 1 bed wk 49 for $6300 and the agent who is a reputable guy says to be prepared for Hyatt exercising ROFR. He thinks 50/50 it will get thru...maybe less.

Questons:

1 - Is ROFR likely?

2 - Where is the ROFR database referred to in this thread. I've searched and cannot find it here or in the members only area.

Thx!
Not likely I bought mine for less and Hyatt did not flinch

LurkerBee

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Coconut Plantation
Not likely I bought mine for less and Hyatt did not flinch
Per your other posts, you purchased 4 years ago. Reading the threads on here over the past 4 months have made it clear that the ROFR environment has been changing. Prices that got waivers a year ago are failing now.