• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Virginia Beach in April

hvsteve1

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
I normally go to Norfolk the end of April and have been using my TS in Williamsburg. After a few years of the bridge-tunnel hell, last year I stayed at a hotel in Norfolk. I had looked at Virginia Beach but never saw availability. Now that Diamond has a number of properties I'm seeing things come up. My concern is in recent years I have seen stories on local news of near riots there as fraternities seem to gather during spring break. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of that situation that might make me not want to book?

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I normally go to Norfolk the end of April and have been using my TS in Williamsburg. After a few years of the bridge-tunnel hell, last year I stayed at a hotel in Norfolk. I had looked at Virginia Beach but never saw availability. Now that Diamond has a number of properties I'm seeing things come up. My concern is in recent years I have seen stories on local news of near riots there as fraternities seem to gather during spring break. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of that situation that might make me not want to book?

I don't know... we were there many years ago during a NY school spring/Easter week break- it was pretty quiet. Water was freezing. Boardwalks were empty.We actually were staying in Willimasburg.

However- ride down on Good Friday- 95- was absolute HELL!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
VA beach has quiet sections and busy sections. It's over 3 miles long (Resort Beach). The main 'hub' of spring-break activity is centered around 'Oceanfront' near 17th and Atlantic, but there are stages located at 17th Street Park, 22nd Street Stage and 31st Street Park with the main stage at 5th Street. There are also periodic 'beach stages' that are erected (see pic).

If you choose to walk out to the free concerts and stand in the crowd screaming and chugging beer.....well, you might find a 'near riot' They put on these concerts and events year-round, not just during spring break.
If you avoid the 'late in the day' concerts, events and large gatherings of teens-twenties with too many hormones and alcohol, I think you'll be fine. We liked to walk the boardwalk and listen to the small-artist performances and have a cocktail etc... no problems with that. It's a pretty good size beach, and the areas with high-energy are fairly easy to spot (and avoid). If you like quiet beaches, the Chesapeake beach is very quiet and there are lots of other beach areas to drive to as well.

It's been a couple of years since I've done spring break, but I do understand it's getting more popular (and rowdy). I think the main point to understand is this: YOU NEED TO AVOID CBW or "College Beach Week"
CBW is usually the 3rd weekend in April (22nd?) but gets published every year. This is the rowdy, law-enforcement taunting weekend that produces most of the problems and news. IMHO. I'd avoid both weeks touching this event.

Hope it helps. Great place, just avoid the huge surge crowds.

Funk.jpg

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
If at all concerned, the Diamond resorts of Ocean Beach Club and the one adjacent to it would not have any problems. However, we have not a significant problem in Virginia Beach since the Labor Day problems 10 to 15 years ago.

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't you're going to see any of the "surge" crowds in April like pic posted

April is pretty quiet at the oceanfront.

College Beach Weekend of April 2013 is the last problem time. Before that, it was July 1989. These are locals creating problems. Most years, college students aren't causing problems at the oceanfront. It was groups of folks that came and incited others in the crowd of 40,000 that descended upon Virginia Beach.

Please don't judge the VA Beach oceanfront by two incidents that took place spanning 27 years.

Yes, certain parts of the beach draw younger crowds. During the Summer, there are numerous concerts on the beach that draw diverse crowds. Unless you've decided to be part of the action, then understand these shows draw crowds and it's a party atmosphere. These events are usually annual events and are published well in advance. Plan accordingly.

Any of the Diamond Resorts are nice to stay at and you're not going to have issues. These are family-oriented resorts. Ocean Beach Club and OceanAire are the best. They are located at the north end of the boardwalk. This area is for the older folks. No really, it's the best part of the Boardwalk.

lweverett

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Be aware that the picture you see is of the annual show on the beach in a temporary venue that features true headliner performers and only occurs on Labor Day weekend.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
Most college spring breaks are during the second and third weeks of March. I wouldn't worry about it. VA Beach will be very quiet at the end of April. Water will be freezing cold, but the weather could be spectacular.

smtundra

Reaction score
The event has only been on the weekend. So it wouldn't necessarily ruin your whole week. I'm not sure if Virginia Beach will keep holding the event.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I normally go to Norfolk the end of April ....My concern is in recent years I have seen stories on local news of near riots there as fraternities seem to gather during spring break. Does anyone have first hand knowledge of that situation that might make me not want to book?

If at all concerned, the Diamond resorts of Ocean Beach Club and the one adjacent to it would not have any problems. However, we have not a significant problem in Virginia Beach since the Labor Day problems 10 to 15 years ago.

See the arrest records on this site: http://wavy.com/2016/04/26/college-beach-weekend-data-released-by-police/

VIRGINIA BEACH, Va. (WAVY) — Another College Beach Weekend has come and gone, but it was the past problems that people feared.
There was less chaos served up and businesses took advantage of the crowds. Though judging by this year’s numbers, police were much busier. In 2015, 190 offenses were racked up. This year that number ballooned to 371 offenses including 65 arrests and 306 summons. Business owners say it was crowded, but they felt very safe.

In 2014, there were 435 cases. Things were way down in 2015 when there were only 190, but remember the weather was terrible.
Virginia Beach Police has released the service calls data from College Beach Weekend 2016. Starting Friday night, April 22, and ending Sunday, emergency dispatchers received 742 total calls for service. Those calls led to police arresting 65 people. Another 306 people received summonses stemming from their activity.
[FONT=&quot]Friday, April 22[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 p.m. – 6 a.m.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]248 calls for service[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]17 arrests[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]62 summonses[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Saturday, April 23[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 a.m. – 6 p.m.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]109 calls for service[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]8 arrests[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]107 summonses[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 p.m. – 6 a.m.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]320 calls for service[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]39 arrests[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]119 summonses[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Sunday, April 24[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6 a.m. – 6 p.m.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]65 calls for service[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 arrest[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]18 summonses[/FONT]

CBW IS a problem and continues to generate issues. I hope they send it somewhere else.

April is pretty quiet at the oceanfront.

College Beach Weekend of April 2013 is the last problem time. Before that, it was July 1989. These are locals creating problems. Most years, college students aren't causing problems at the oceanfront. It was groups of folks that came and incited others in the crowd of 40,000 that descended upon Virginia Beach.

Please don't judge the VA Beach oceanfront by two incidents that took place spanning 27 years.

Yes, certain parts of the beach draw younger crowds. During the Summer, there are numerous concerts on the beach that draw diverse crowds. Unless you've decided to be part of the action, then understand these shows draw crowds and it's a party atmosphere. These events are usually annual events and are published well in advance. Plan accordingly.

Any of the Diamond Resorts are nice to stay at and you're not going to have issues. These are family-oriented resorts. Ocean Beach Club and OceanAire are the best. They are located at the north end of the boardwalk. This area is for the older folks. No really, it's the best part of the Boardwalk.

I agree with everything except '2 incidents in 27 years' The problem still exists--just not as bad--and the police are doing a good job to control it. That is just not a very nice weekend and it's very unlike the rest of the year (including spring break). VB has great events year-round with no problems.

Be aware that the picture you see is of the annual show on the beach in a temporary venue that features true headliner performers and only occurs on Labor Day weekend.

And they also have similar special beach-venue events during spring break and CBW. Just avoid any large gatherings (like that one) during CBW. Otherwise, you should be fine. The labor day festival is awesome. Crowded and hot, but awesome.

Most college spring breaks are during the second and third weeks of March. I wouldn't worry about it. VA Beach will be very quiet at the end of April. Water will be freezing cold, but the weather could be spectacular.

My only point: CBW is at the end of April (22nd?) and its NOT quiet. Avoid those three days and/or the events associated with them--you'll be fine.

1. The OP asked about late April in VB. 'near-riots'
  2. I LIKE VB and think it's a fine place year-round including most of spring break--where I have been with teenagers during spring break.
  3. I DO think the OP should book in VB--especially on the north end of the boardwalk--and have a great time in VB by exercising a little common sense and caution.
  4. I honestly think that CBW is possible the WORST event that occurs any time of year in VB and the main CBW events/crowds should be avoided during that weekend.
HVSTEVE1: Book the north end of the beach (quiet and nice), try to avoid check-ins on the CBW weekend (22nd), avoid the large venue events aimed at spring-break teens/twenties and stay away from big crowds of drunk party people (pretty easy to do) and you'll be fine. VB is a great place.

Last edited:

esk444

TUG Member
Reaction score

College Beach Week is at the end of April. I don't think it is your typical Spring Breakers spending the entire week down there. The local area has a ton of colleges nearby: Old Dominion Univ., Hampton U., College of William & Mary, Virginia Commonwealth Univ., U. of Richmond, Norfolk State, etc. I think they are the regional college kids coming down for a weekend or day trip for the festivities.

Big Matt

TUG Member
Reaction score
OP asked about Spring Break specifically in the post. I answered based on that. I wasn't aware of Beach Week until others posted.

College Beach Week is at the end of April. I don't think it is your typical Spring Breakers spending the entire week down there. The local area has a ton of colleges nearby: Old Dominion Univ., Hampton U., College of William & Mary, Virginia Commonwealth Univ., U. of Richmond, Norfolk State, etc. I think they are the regional college kids coming down for a weekend or day trip for the festivities.