• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Holiday Inn Club Vacations need help ASAP

lllGurulll

Reaction score
Posted this in another thread but thought it probably made more sense to start a new thread so people don't focus on the questions of the OP.

We went to a presentation for this package Saturday and have until WEdnesday midnight to cancel. The presentation seemed to make a lot of sense to us and was also the least stressful presentation I have ever been a part of. We are a family that only goes on one vacation per year so we felt 107,000 points every other year would be the best option. AFter reading this thread I am wondering if that may have been a bad decision. If so, is there ever any good decision for Time Shares? ONe thing I really don't want to do is constantly scour the net for the best deals. (this is what I do now and I have grown very tired of it)

The one thing that really confused us was the HICV points vs RCI points. It sounds as if our points are worth half value on RCI. If that is the case, and I purchase a last call vacation from RCI for say 7500 points, that actually means 15000 HICV points correct? This was the main issue with our presenter as she didn't seem to really understand what we were questioning.

Basically, will a family of 6 really benefit from this program only going on one vacation per year at 107,000 points every other year. OUr goal was to primarily use the last call options that were less than 10,000 points per trip and the 45 day and under options that you just pay money for. We noticed a few Sandals one week vacations for less than $400 and we would use those quite often.

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Rescind, read TUG for 6 months until you really understand all the timeshare and exchange systems, then buy resale.

RESCIND! asap!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

lllGurulll

Reaction score
Rescind, read TUG for 6 months until you really understand all the timeshare and exchange systems, then buy resale.

RESCIND! asap!

I've sat through so many of these presentations my head spins. lol

This is the only one that really made sense to me. Could you explain why you provided the answer you did? Not that I doubt you, I would just like to know the reasons.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I've sat through so many of these presentations my head spins. lol

This is the only one that really made sense to me. Could you explain why you provided the answer you did? Not that I doubt you, I would just like to know the reasons.

HIVC points can be purchased for very little on the resale market, if you purchased from the developer you paid too much. You also said the presenter didn't understand how to use it for RCI, that's a big red flag they were just BS-ing so you would buy, they didn't want to tell you anything to sour the sale.

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Price -price

You can likely buy THE SAME for much less resale

HICV owners can give you details

as SmithOP said - RESCIND NOW - & save yourself a bunch of upfront money
then read TUG for at least 6 months ( including legacy HICV threads ) and then buy resale .

What ever deal you bought - you can always go back and get it in 6 months
if you decide to buy from the developer .

.Remember - ALL timeshares ( suites ) - are used after they open the doors .

lllGurulll

Reaction score
You can likely buy THE SAME for much less resale

HICV owners can give you details

as SmithOP said - RESCIND NOW - & save yourself a bunch of upfront money
then read TUG for at least 6 months ( including legacy HICV threads ) and then buy resale .

What ever deal you bought - you can always go back and get it in 6 months
if you decide to buy from the developer .

.Remember - ALL timeshares ( suites ) - are used after they open the doors .

The way they presented this is that my points can be used for any resort any week (based on availability of course) and I'm not locked into a "home week" at the resort I purchased from. I've looked at some of the resellers on ebay and all of them are locked into a specific week at a specific resort. That is definitely not what I want.

I've no problem backing out of this sale but just want to be sure I understand the difference between my purchase and the resale market before I cancel.

lllGurulll

Reaction score
HIVC points can be purchased for very little on the resale market, if you purchased from the developer you paid too much. You also said the presenter didn't understand how to use it for RCI, that's a big red flag they were just BS-ing so you would buy, they didn't want to tell you anything to sour the sale.

Actually, I said they didn't seem to understand why we were questioning the two different point values. To her it made perfect sense. We had to question her for a bit to come to an understanding of the difference in point valuations.

Anyway, we are going to cancel. I just need to figure out the best way to get it done before tomorrow. Dont' think I can get it in the mail in time today unless I leave work. Bugs me that most people are reporting they had a 10 day rescind period but ours is only 5 calendar days.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
Although you aren't locked into a specific resort, the number of points you were getting would limit what you could get. You would not have enough points to travel a full week EOY in a 2Br unit during prime season anywhere in the HICV network. The last calls and discounted points exchanges are quite limited during peak seasons especially into 2 and 3 br units you would need for your family of 6.

The 10 days are for purchases in Florida. Different states have different rescind laws. Where did you make the purchase?

lllGurulll

Reaction score
Although you aren't locked into a specific resort, the number of points you were getting would limit what you could get. You would not have enough points to travel a full week EOY in a 2Br unit during prime season anywhere in the HICV network. The last calls and discounted points exchanges are quite limited during peak seasons especially into 2 and 3 br units you would need for your family of 6.

The 10 days are for purchases in Florida. Different states have different rescind laws. Where did you make the purchase?

Las Vegas is where our purchase was.

sue1947

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark and VI
The way they presented this is that my points can be used for any resort any week (based on availability of course) and I'm not locked into a "home week" at the resort I purchased from. I've looked at some of the resellers on ebay and all of them are locked into a specific week at a specific resort. That is definitely not what I want.

I've no problem backing out of this sale but just want to be sure I understand the difference between my purchase and the resale market before I cancel.

You are looking at a points system. There are many of them that allow the same flexibility. Ebay rules are based on the fixed week system and haven't caught up. Ebay requires that all timeshares be listed with a specific location so that is why you see them listed that way. They are selling the same thing as the developer.

As long as the postmark meets the rescission period, you will be ok. Then take your time and research points systems focusing on who has the resorts you want. Then dive down into that system to learn more, and then buy resale.

Sue

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Posted this in another thread but thought it probably made more sense to start a new thread so people don't focus on the questions of the OP.

We went to a presentation for this package Saturday and have until WEdnesday midnight to cancel. The presentation seemed to make a lot of sense to us and was also the least stressful presentation I have ever been a part of. We are a family that only goes on one vacation per year so we felt 107,000 points every other year would be the best option. AFter reading this thread I am wondering if that may have been a bad decision. If so, is there ever any good decision for Time Shares? ONe thing I really don't want to do is constantly scour the net for the best deals. (this is what I do now and I have grown very tired of it)

The one thing that really confused us was the HICV points vs RCI points. It sounds as if our points are worth half value on RCI. If that is the case, and I purchase a last call vacation from RCI for say 7500 points, that actually means 15000 HICV points correct? This was the main issue with our presenter as she didn't seem to really understand what we were questioning.

Basically, will a family of 6 really benefit from this program only going on one vacation per year at 107,000 points every other year. OUr goal was to primarily use the last call options that were less than 10,000 points per trip and the 45 day and under options that you just pay money for. We noticed a few Sandals one week vacations for less than $400 and we would use those quite often.
Hi, We are owners at Orange Lake and members of HIVC. We get 127,000 points in HIVC. If we convert to RCI the point value is cut in half. So we never use RCI for this. You can trade within The HIVC resorts, for full point value. Also you can use International Hotel Group IHG for travel for hotel points at Holiday Inns around the world. You don't have to take all of your points out but they charge a fee for you to do any transaction $ 60 dollars . I believe. I would not take the deal they are offering you. You may be able to find a resale for much less. If you have any questions. PM me.
Silentg

lllGurulll

Reaction score
Hi, We are owners at Orange Lake and members of HIVC. We get 127,000 points in HIVC. If we convert to RCI the point value is cut in half. So we never use RCI for this. You can trade within The HIVC resorts, for full point value. Also you can use International Hotel Group IHG for travel for hotel points at Holiday Inns around the world. You don't have to take all of your points out but they charge a fee for you to do any transaction $ 60 dollars . I believe. I would not take the deal they are offering you. You may be able to find a resale for much less. If you have any questions. PM me.
Silentg

I have sent you a PM. My biggest question is regarding what type of last calls and 45 day out deals are available if you throw out RCI.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I have sent you a PM. My biggest question is regarding what type of last calls and 45 day out deals are available if you throw out RCI.

I haven't thrown out RCI, I just don't use it for this resort. Mostly because they cut the point value in half. 127,000/63,500 in RCI.
Silentg

lllGurulll

Reaction score
I haven't thrown out RCI, I just don't use it for this resort. Mostly because they cut the point value in half. 127,000/63,500 in RCI.
Silentg

yep, that was the item they really confused us on. We had everything under control then during closing they dropped that conversion on us. We questioned it and asked them to explain it further. Thought we had an understanding after we questioned them but evidently we didn't get the answers we needed. Its clear now they were either avoiding our question or purposely answered it wrong.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
yep, that was the item they really confused us on. We had everything under control then during closing they dropped that conversion on us. We questioned it and asked them to explain it further. Thought we had an understanding after we questioned them but evidently we didn't get the answers we needed. Its clear now they were either avoiding our question or purposely answered it wrong.

Another thing, I was going to use this to book a cruise, they quoted me a price and how many points it would cost. I then went to the cruise lines page and the same cruise was quoted much less and I didn't need points. I called back HIVC and canceled the cruise with them and booked it directly with the cruise company. They kept my transaction fee though
Silentg

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It's not that they cut your points in half it is just another currency that has a conversion rate of 2:1. For example a 1 br unit that takes 100,000 HICV points to book through HICV takes 50,000 RCI points to book through RCI which would use the same 100,000 HICV points. Or course when you use RCI you would also have to pay the RCI exchange fee of $209 to book with RCI.

lllGurulll

Reaction score
It's not that they cut your points in half it is just another currency that has a conversion rate of 2:1. For example a 1 br unit that takes 100,000 HICV points to book through HICV takes 50,000 RCI points to book through RCI which would use the same 100,000 HICV points. Or course when you use RCI you would also have to pay the RCI exchange fee of $209 to book with RCI.

Nice. They left that out as well. Good Lord.

jackio

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sand Pebbles, Sheraton Broadway Plantation, Hawaiian Sun Holidays
Nice. They left that out as well. Good Lord.
Plus there is a yearly fee for membership in HIVC/ RCI points. It is around $124/yr even if you only get your points every other year.
I own at Desert Club. My 1BR is worth 98,000 HIVC points. I cannot get a 2BR in prime season anywhere unless it is last minute. When you go through the RCI portal from HIVC (the only way you can access it), you will see the availability in HIVC points vs. RCI points. I traded for a beautiful 1 BR in New Orleans last week and it cost 55,000 HIVC points plus the exchange fee.
You can book your home resort far out, but if you want to go to another HIVC resort, the window is shorter. This would impact you if you bought in Las Vegas with the intention of staying elsewhere most if the time.
There are only a couple of HIVC resorts that transfer point memberships with resale. Look for one of those.
Good luck.

lllGurulll

Reaction score
Plus there is a yearly fee for membership in HIVC/ RCI points. It is around $124/yr even if you only get your points every other year.
I own at Desert Club. My 1BR is worth 98,000 HIVC points. I cannot get a 2BR in prime season anywhere unless it is last minute. When you go through the RCI portal from HIVC (the only way you can access it), you will see the availability in HIVC points vs. RCI points. I traded for a beautiful 1 BR in New Orleans last week and it cost 55,000 HIVC points plus the exchange fee.
You can book your home resort far out, but if you want to go to another HIVC resort, the window is shorter. This would impact you if you bought in Las Vegas with the intention of staying elsewhere most if the time.
There are only a couple of HIVC resorts that transfer point memberships with resale. Look for one of those.
Good luck.

Thats the one fee they did tell us about. lol

I'm still trying to wrap my head around why they didn't ask for the home week for our unit. So I would basically be stuck with week one for my home week according to the fine print since it wasn't established.