• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Newbie and I need help quickly!

TM42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Orlando; Southwind II
And we all wonder why there is no resale value? hmmmm

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
And we all wonder why there is no resale value? hmmmm

I don't wonder, at all... The marketplace determines the true value. It is what it is.
So, if you own a low-rent unit, you won't get a 2nd look. That's just the way it is.

HGVC exercises ROFR if the price is low enuff and demand for that size/season high enuff to make a killing on the flip.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
There are no "fees" to stay M-Th, but points wise, it costs more points per day than the typical week stay of Sat-Sat.

Not quite true, if you book your Home Week Sat-Sat there isn't a reservation fee. If you book anything else with points there is a reservation fee. M-Th cost half the number of points as Fri-Sun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TM42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I stand corrected Dave- actually had not stayed M-Th, so thought all reservations @ home resort were treated the same- my bad

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
If you think you will only need silver or gold, then buy that, rather than buying platinum and having left over points to use for a few random days just to use them up.
I disagree with this advice, depending on how long you plan to own your HGVC week. With Gold or Silver weeks, you pay the same MFs every year as a Platinum week. So you are paying more (twice as much for Silver weeks) per point every single year. With HGVC, points are points, and carrying over or, better yet, forever borrowing points from the next year is simple and if managed properly, will result in no "left over" points. I've owned for 12 years and have never had left over points, nor the need to pay the fee to "rescue" points.

Given that the OP has a flexible home school schedule and can vacation during off-peak times, they could really stretch out those Platinum points to make their stays downright cheap. Just look at the point charts for the resorts to get an idea of how many points you need, and find the best deal on a HGVC Platinum week that you can find that approximately matches how many points you would use in a year.

Kurt

Pathways

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you think you will only need silver or gold, then buy that,

Ditto - Never buy Silver, there are owners who are 'paying' someone to take these off their hands. Gold - Maybe, but learn which resorts have the best purchase/maint fee ratio. Platinum - Hard to go wrong with this. If you don't need very many points, a 1BR Plat might work

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
If you think you will only need silver or gold, then buy that, rather than buying platinum and having left over points to use for a few random days just to use them up.

I will also agree completely with PigsDad and Pathways. My recommendation is to predict how many points that you will need each year and then purchase those number of points in Platinum Season with the lowest purchase cost and lowest annual MF/year ratio.(now of course this will be a trade-off as you are researching these). We have a Sticky with the MFs for the various resorts. (http://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?...ations-club-2017-maintenance-fee-list.247165/). Part of this Sticky also includes the top (30 best) MF/point ratio. So that will give you a start place while you research.

If you start small, you can easily add more points (by purchasing additional properties later) once you see what your needs are and as the family grows.

TM42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I love these forums, but understand that EVERYONE is different and has different needs. For us, a family with two active kids, we owned one TS in Hilton Head we bought as a resale- week 52 which gave us week 53 every 6 years for no additional maintenance fees. We exchanged it several times for crappy RCI (even "GOLD" Crown) places, and could never get into ski locations. Got sucked into buying HGVC based on easier exchange within the network- BIG mistake. 10 years later, we still haven't been able to get into a ski location with it.

If I were deciding today, I would use VRBO and airbnb (which we have had GREAT experiences with, plenty of availability virtually everywhere , no MF/annual increases, no time constraint to exchange, no 'special assessments') which require NO upfront $ and have the ultimate in flexibility. IMHO, buying a TS is not an investment, no matter what you paid for it- it is a depreciating asset. Predict how many points you will need each year? Seriously- what family (ie with young kids) has that kind of predictability? Every time we (again, we are all different) had a vacation week, we ended up at a soccer tournament, dance competition, etc.
I do agree against buying silver for the reasons above, but if you already have access to one vacation place, I don't understand buying more than you may need. You can always add more later, but based on the postings of desperate sellers, getting rid of excess is definitely harder.

AdaKate

Reaction score
Not quite true, if you book your Home Week Sat-Sat there isn't a reservation fee. If you book anything else with points there is a reservation fee. M-Th cost half the number of points as Fri-Sun.

This is one of the few things that were actually true from our presentation

AdaKate

Reaction score
I love these forums, but understand that EVERYONE is different and has different needs. For us, a family with two active kids, we owned one TS in Hilton Head we bought as a resale- week 52 which gave us week 53 every 6 years for no additional maintenance fees. We exchanged it several times for crappy RCI (even "GOLD" Crown) places, and could never get into ski locations. Got sucked into buying HGVC based on easier exchange within the network- BIG mistake. 10 years later, we still haven't been able to get into a ski location with it.

If I were deciding today, I would use VRBO and airbnb (which we have had GREAT experiences with, plenty of availability virtually everywhere , no MF/annual increases, no time constraint to exchange, no 'special assessments') which require NO upfront $ and have the ultimate in flexibility. IMHO, buying a TS is not an investment, no matter what you paid for it- it is a depreciating asset. Predict how many points you will need each year? Seriously- what family (ie with young kids) has that kind of predictability? Every time we (again, we are all different) had a vacation week, we ended up at a soccer tournament, dance competition, etc.
I do agree against buying silver for the reasons above, but if you already have access to one vacation place, I don't understand buying more than you may need. You can always add more later, but based on the postings of desperate sellers, getting rid of excess is definitely harder.

We've been using VRBO recently, and this weekend I used my first Airbnb while my husband went deep sea fishing. I agree, both are great experiences! What about the end result of "owning" those points to enjoy on vacation each year? I think if we tried to book a condo/house for our family of 6, we would be paying more than our annual dues. If we break up our weeks (going M- Th) and go on silver or gold weeks, we may be able to get 2-3 vacations out of 7000 points or so. My husband and I try to get away 2x a year, and do 2 family vacations per year. We live in Alabama, so quite a few resorts are within driving distance, and would cut down on cost of travel.

AdaKate

Reaction score
I disagree with this advice, depending on how long you plan to own your HGVC week. With Gold or Silver weeks, you pay the same MFs every year as a Platinum week. So you are paying more (twice as much for Silver weeks) per point every single year. With HGVC, points are points, and carrying over or, better yet, forever borrowing points from the next year is simple and if managed properly, will result in no "left over" points. I've owned for 12 years and have never had left over points, nor the need to pay the fee to "rescue" points.

Given that the OP has a flexible home school schedule and can vacation during off-peak times, they could really stretch out those Platinum points to make their stays downright cheap. Just look at the point charts for the resorts to get an idea of how many points you need, and find the best deal on a HGVC Platinum week that you can find that approximately matches how many points you would use in a year.

Kurt
This is what I'm thinking - especially with the M-Th costing 1/2 of the full week. We live in AL so a lot of places are within driving distance, too.

AdaKate

Reaction score
If OP joins tug, will have access to Marketplace, where there are many timeshares being given away.

Forgive my ignorance, but what does it mean to "join TUG"? I'm brand new :)

TM42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess the question is- where do you want to go with those points? Do you think you will go to the same location year after year? Are you expecting to exchange them within HGVC, or join RCI and trade?
I would look at those planned areas of travel and actually compare it to a rental at VRBO/Airbnb. If you need flexibility, that is your primary question you need to answer

TM42

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Have you paid to be a member of TUG? If not, join, then you will see listings of TS availability in the TUG market

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Timeshare User Group= TUG
We can help

baf99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn Beach Resort
Blue Whale
We were offered a one week, no strings attached week for 6 for $1700 to "try it out". Is that worth the $ or better to rent here?

I bought one of the VIP packages a few years ago and stayed for a week in a 2BR at Lagoon Tower in Waikiki. The 7000 points could only be used in Las Vegas, New York (3 or 4 days only I think), Oahu, or the Big Island. That could be different now. As previously stated you will have to attend another timeshare presentation which will be scheduled at the time you make your reservations. Technically it might not be considered an attached string since the package doesn't change if you don't buy. If you do not attend the presentation, you will be charged rack rate for the unit. I found the sales presentation at Hilton Hawaiian Village to be much lower key than the one in Las Vegas. I'm not sure if that was because I had already been through a presentation and said no or if that's just the way it is in Hawaii. I thought the package was worth the price but not everyone does. I don't know if I would consider it worthwhile to use in Vegas or Orlando.

Typically, the VIP package is offered so they can try one more time to get you to buy. If you use it in a location you wanted to go anyway, and where the cost of lodging would be more than the $1700 it can be a good deal--as long as you don't yield to the sales pitch.

IFRpilot

Reaction score
The cheapest HGVC studio is $64 / night off season Sun-Thurs.

Not to mention non-existent or at best some funky schedule for housekeeping. When I'm on holiday I want my room cleaned daily. Fresh towels and bed made. Don't give me any crap about cutting costs and reducing my maintenance fees. Pffft.

To the OP: RUN do not walk to your contract and start the rescission process IMMEDIATELY.

IFRpilot

Reaction score
We were offered a one week, no strings attached week for 6 for $1700 to "try it out". Is that worth the $ or better to rent here? I'm a little hesitant to rent points, worried about it not working out completely.

This is another scam approach to sales. You'll soon be unhappy with what seems so good in the sales presentation. Not worth the extra hassle. Just take your $1700 and book lodging on your own in one of the many travel platforms available. If you think timeshare is a great deal, just rent one from someone. Almost every timeshare property is available for booking - most people don't bother because they tend to be inferior to what you can get for your $ elsewhere. Housekeeping every other or third day, high-density properties, quirky sales people trying to catch you while you are there and hunt you like you are prey.

Who needs that on vacation?

AdaKate

Reaction score
This is another scam approach to sales. You'll soon be unhappy with what seems so good in the sales presentation. Not worth the extra hassle. Just take your $1700 and book lodging on your own in one of the many travel platforms available. If you think timeshare is a great deal, just rent one from someone. Almost every timeshare property is available for booking - most people don't bother because they tend to be inferior to what you can get for your $ elsewhere. Housekeeping every other or third day, high-density properties, quirky sales people trying to catch you while you are there and hunt you like you are prey.

Who needs that on vacation?
Interesting perspective! Do you recommend buying resale or not at all?

IFRpilot

Reaction score

Some people here will tell you they are very happy with their resale time share. I have yet to find something that makes sense to me. Many people have been sold so hard they just share in the Kool-Aid.

IFRpilot

Reaction score
This is one of the few things that were actually true from our presentation

When your introduction / sales process was full of lies, lies and more lies, it should tell you all you need to know about what you are getting into.

I can't tell you anytime I was ever lied to while booking a resort on any of the publicly available travel platforms. Sure people run into horror stories - but just don't go booking something for $50 a night and expect the Ritz.

GT75

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Legacy HGVC
FAVC-Cabo
BIG mistake. 10 years later, we still haven't been able to get into a ski location with it.

I have seen availability at both Valdoro Mountain Lodge in Breckenridge and Sunrise Lodge in Park City for the upcoming 2018 ski season. There currently is availability right now for both 1 Br and 2 Br at Sunrise. There is also good availability at Valdoro right now. I don't understand then why you haven't been able to book a ski location in 10 years.

Sunrise Lodge
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.20.36 AM.png

Valdoro Mountain Lodge
Screen Shot 2017-05-30 at 7.26.23 AM.png

Last edited:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.

Some people are glass half full, some half empty, and some are glass will never be full enough.

Take your time and read TUG for 6 months to learn about timeshares before you buy anything.

GeorgeJ.

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently spoke with a timeshare closing service and they said it takes 4-6 weeks for Hilton to respond to ROFR. If you think you will only need silver or gold, then buy that, rather than buying platinum and having left over points to use for a few random days just to use them up. Especially since you have your Armed Forces VC, it sounds like you don't need the extra points. There are no "fees" to stay M-Th, but points wise, it costs more points per day than the typical week stay of Sat-Sat.
Points use is LESS with Mon-Thurs use than a full week (per night); the weekend nights (Fri-Sat-Sun) are more points than midweek nights (DOUBLE the points for a weekend night versus midweek).