• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Wow, what is up with spam Bot posting in the last 24 hrs

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I woke up this morning to discover nearly 9 screen of new postings that are all spammer posting by Bots.

That is the largest posting of crap I have ever seen.

Wow, crazy

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Been a while since I've seen this, but I've reported heavy amounts of spam posts (using the report button) a few times before.

I'm not sure how easily this could be done on the TUG software, but the best way I've seen forum owners / mods dissuade spammers is to put all new sign ups on moderation. After a legitimate new user posts 3 to 5 times, the mods/admin can take the id off moderation. Spammers don't want to deal with that and they just "go away".

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
And, I don't even see where the spam is. They don't really eve describe what it is they are trying to sell. There are no visible links and only what may appear to be a phone number.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
No, I don't see anything other than the phone number either. Bizarre!

When I first responded to Sandy's OP, I didn't realize how many spam post there were! This is going to keep someone busy for a while...

Sandy VDH

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I scrolled through 9 pages of new posting that were nearly ALL garbage spam posts. Moderators where busy the last 24 hours with this. This was the biggest cluster of bot postings I have seen in a while.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I saw them early this morning, and can't figure out how to notify moderators. I am using Tapatalk on ipad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
I scrolled through 9 pages of new posting that were nearly ALL garbage spam posts. Moderators where busy the last 24 hours with this. This was the biggest cluster of bot postings I have seen in a while.

I never scroll through all 9 pages. I report one post for each user, then ignore that user. There were probably 6-8 users this morning I ignored.Then TUG looks normal to me while the mods straighten everything out.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
KUDOs to the hard working Mods for cleaning these up and banning the posters pronto when they are reported. I've reported spam attacks each day for 3 nights. I don't know if the mods appreciate getting an email about them at 3-4-or 5 a.m., but I report 'em anyway.

Jim

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
KUDOs to the hard working Mods for cleaning these up and banning the posters pronto when they are reported. I've reported spam attacks each day for 3 nights. I don't know if the mods appreciate getting an email about them at 3-4-or 5 a.m., but I report 'em anyway.

Jim
They probably wouldn't see it until they wake up in the morning, unless they perhaps have an alarm that goes off each time they get an email from TUG reporting spam. Which I suspect is doubtful.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
They probably wouldn't see it until they wake up in the morning, unless they perhaps have an alarm that goes off each time they get an email from TUG reporting spam. Which I suspect is doubtful.
Uh-huh. Can't you just hear it- the AOL-like voice arousing you from a sound sleep. . ."You've got SPAM!"

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
thankfully the forum has handy tools that let you mark a person as a spammer and immediately delete all their posts.

we had put in place tools to prevent the spam messages from making it to the forum in the first place, but it only detected posts with links in them.

appears the spammers are adapting.

taffy19

Reaction score
I hit the report button many times last night. They were acknowledged but it didn't work for two spammers over and over again. I noticed that they were online and gave each other a few likes. Can we mark them as spammers too so they are banned?

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Spicebush (Hilton Head Island)

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I don't know if the mods appreciate getting an email about them at 3-4-or 5 a.m., but I report 'em anyway.
That's exactly what we want you to do. When posts have been reported, this system doesn't send mods email, it places a red clickable alert at the top of the page for mods when they log in so they can go straight to the reported posts and deal with them. And don't worry that you might be overloading the system with reports of the same post - only one entry is created for each reported post, and it indicates the number of times the particular post was reported. When reporting obvious spam, a one word 'spam' description is all that's needed, no need to knock yourself out with longer descriptions.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I saw them early this morning, and can't figure out how to notify moderators. I am using Tapatalk on ipad

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just hit the report button on the bottom of the post.

taffy19

Reaction score
I read your instructions so realize now that the SPAM doesn't disappear. I kept hitting the "new posts" icon and they no longer showed. In reality they were still there but had been reported already.

I was wondering why a spammer would play this game if he could have spammed multiple other boards in that time. It became a game for me to remove his posts right in front of him but that didn't happen.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Been a while since I've seen this, but I've reported heavy amounts of spam posts (using the report button) a few times before.

I'm not sure how easily this could be done on the TUG software, but the best way I've seen forum owners / mods dissuade spammers is to put all new sign ups on moderation. After a legitimate new user posts 3 to 5 times, the mods/admin can take the id off moderation. Spammers don't want to deal with that and they just "go away".
Savvy human spammers easily get around this scheme by just entering a handful of posts saying "Glad I found this forum", "good information", etc., then post their spam.

Requiring a mod to approve all posts from new users doesn't occur instantly and is very discouraging for folks who come here to get timely answers to their questions so this just doesn't fit with the philosophy of this board. A delay in getting a query approved for public view could make all the difference in getting a needed reply in time to rescind an expensive purchase.

alwysonvac

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WORLDMARK, HGVC, VISTANA

SOLD (DVC, FSRC)
That's exactly what we want you to do. When posts have been reported, this system doesn't send mods email, it places a red clickable alert at the top of the page for mods when they log in so they can go straight to the reported posts and deal with them. And don't worry that you might be overloading the system with reports of the same post - only one entry is created for each reported post, and it indicates the number of times the particular post was reported. When reporting obvious spam, a one word 'spam' description is all that's needed, no need to knock yourself out with longer descriptions.

Oh that makes sense and good to know.
Since there were multiple usernames, I listed all of the usernames on one report this morning.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
I hit the report button many times last night. They were acknowledged but it didn't work for two spammers over and over again. I noticed that they were online and gave each other a few likes. Can we mark them as spammers too so they are banned?
Probably not a good idea to allow regular users the ability to mark posts as spam that results in instantly banning a user. That could potentially be a lethal weapon.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Excellent job. Kudos to our moderators

taffy19

Reaction score
Probably not a good idea to allow regular users the ability to mark posts as spam that results in instantly banning a user. That could potentially be a lethal weapon.
You may be right as some may do this if they do not like a regular post.

T_R_Oglodyte

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
On another board where I was a mod, I would occasionally be on-line when a spammer was working. There was a degree of satisfaction in generating the "banned" message for the spammer while the spammer was in mid-post.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oh that makes sense and good to know.
Since there were multiple usernames, I listed all of the usernames on one report this morning.
Please issue a separate report for each spammer username. The report includes direct links to the offending spammer and the reported post, making it quick and easy for the mod to deal with it. Mentioning other usernames in the same report doesn't provide those links.

Makai Guy

Administrator
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Regular users can REPORT a post as spam, but it will take a mod to review the report and post and decide whether to act on the report.