• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott's Frenchman Cove in October

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Never been to St Thomas. The pictures of water looks amazing compared to Hawaii and Aruba.

An exchange request just came through for October this year at MFC for a 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom ($49.50) upgrade fee that I think might be worth it even though we don't need it. Contemplating whether to go or not that time of year.

What have been your experiences going to the Caribbean in October.

$55 trip insurance was offered, would it be worth it?

What about the resort location and the fact that the resort is on a hill?

Does that make it REAL inconvenient to get to the beach?

Are there places to shop for groceries close by. Should we rent a car?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Never been to St Thomas. The pictures of water looks amazing compared to Hawaii and Aruba.

An exchange request just came through for October this year at MFC for a 2 bedroom for a 1 bedroom ($49.50) upgrade fee that I think might be worth it even though we don't need it. Contemplating whether to go or not that time of year.

The hurricane season officially runs until November, but the later you go in the season generally the less risk there is of weather related problems.
We have stayed at Frenchmans Cove in late October before and it was just fine, albeit there were after effects from earlier storms where parts of the beach had been washed away.
The resort is quite compact and although steep, reasonably easy to get to and from the beach with lifts if needed from the upper buildings.
The alternative beach at the neighbouring Frenchmans Reef and Morning Star hotel is more of a hike or a shuttle bus ride away.

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
bazaar, thank you for your reply. Our dates are 10/8 to 10/15. My hubby really wants to go. I'm the one that is apprehensive.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
bazaar, thank you for your reply. Our dates are 10/8 to 10/15. My hubby really wants to go. I'm the one that is apprehensive.
I hope you do and I am sure you will enjoy it.
Others can probably answer your remaining questions better than me.
I would just say to make sure if you do go to include a ferry trip over to St John and an island tour, it is an absolutely wonderful place.

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
IMO the beaches of Hawaii and Aruba cannot hold a candle to those on the USVI. The sand is better, the shade is better and the crowds are smaller.

Can't help you here but from what folks have posted it can be quite rainy at times.

I always buy trip insurance. $55 sounds like a no brainer if it covers everything.

Not at all. Depending on which bldg and which room travel time to the beach is between 2 and 7 minutes. And just for the record just about everything on St John and St Thomas is on a hill.

I always get a car. Some don't like driving on the twisty, hilly roads on the left side but you get used to it after a few minutes. There are five food shopping places and probably 20 or so restaurants within a mile and 1/2 of the resort.

With all that said any spot on the planet has folks who love it and folks who hate it. Best to go see for yourself.

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Jimf - Thank you for your response. Looking into flights now.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
With all that said any spot on the planet has folks who love it and folks who hate it. Best to go see for yourself.

Well said jimf41.

deemarket - I've heard great things about St Thomas. We planned to go earlier this year, but our plans changed. I hope you enjoy your trip. If worried about hurricane season, just pay the extra for trip insurance. At $55, it's not a deal breaker. Then you can focus and look forward to the trip!

TUGBrian

Administrator
Reaction score
Ive stayed there in november and found it perfectly comfortable =)

the cove beach is rather small, but very nice. there is a much larger beach available at the reef if you want a long "stroll" along the ocean.

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Frenchmans Cove is our favorite Marriott Vacation Club. The grocery stores are not close. The airport is quite a ways. You could use a taxi but that gets costly on St Thomas. We've had a car all three times we've been there and glad we did.

The hill does not pose a beach access problem. Depending on the building you're in you may have a couple elevators to take down to the pool and beach.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For goodness' sake, get the trip insurance.
Get a car.

The beach in front of the resort is small. Instead, go around the corner to Morningside Beach (where Marriott also owns the hotel villas, down the hill from Frenchman's Reef Hotel, "on the other side". That beach is quite nice, gorgeous water, and you can roll with the waves which mostly don't "break"---it's heavenly, and it's "on property" so to speak.
Morningstar Beach:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...-iu67UAhUE6SYKHd1QCkcQsAQINQ&biw=1271&bih=676

The other side of the island has Magen's Bay, a beautiful and popular spot. It's been rated as one of the top beaches in the world. Zero entry water, user-friendly, great for kids, and its huge---like a large cove. The drive over the mountain to Magen's Bay is spectacular looking back down onto the cove(s).
Magen's Bay:
https://www.google.com/search?q=ima...70uK7UAhWPZiYKHc8rAqAQsAQILg&biw=1271&bih=676

My favorite beaches are on St. John's, Tortola, and Virgin Gorda....look up "The Baths" and go there for a day---
absolutely unique and one of the most memorable spots we've ever been to.
http://www.gettyimages.com/photos/virgin-gorda?excludenudity=true&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=photography&phrase=virgin gorda

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Locatio...aths-Virgin_Gorda_British_Virgin_Islands.html

Way too much more to see and do around the Virgin Isles, but do some research and enjoy. Definitely do some sort of tour to other islands, or at least find a way to get there---there are several options, and concierge can help best. It's a good time of year to be there. chances are excellent that nothing will happen, but the trip insurance is a no-brainer. Town of Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas is sort of interesting, but in general isn't so great, lots of tourists milling around when ships come in...OK to walk around a half-day just to visit shops, but don't waste a lot of time.

icydog

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you buy the II travel Insurance and also insure your flights with the airlines.

JCerniglow

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just make sure you buy the II travel Insurance and also insure your flights with the airlines.

We are week owners there and love it. The best two things for us are the gorgeous views and the small size of this MVC. We love surf club but it is just sooo big.

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I love to shop in Charlotte Amalie. And all of it from a bar stool in Palm Passage!

jimf41

TUG Member
Reaction score
I love to shop in Charlotte Amalie. And all of it from a bar stool in Palm Passage!
You really should get out and shop around more. The bar stools at the Riise Mall have great shopping. The really best ones though are the ones next to the gift shop at the Morningstar lobby:).

chuck1955

TUG Member
Reaction score
St. Thomas is great and MFC is a very nice resort. If this is your first time there, note that they drive on the left side of the road while all of the cars have their steering wheels also on the left (as in the US). If you have not driven this way before, it can be a little challenging the first time. If it is just the two of you going, I would be tempted to not get a rental car as the costs and operation may be more expensive than just taking a taxi. Taxis are readily available everywhere. There are many nice and affordable restaurants right on the water/beach around the island.

October weather can be a bit more wetter some years, but the bar stools are always dry:) We go every year late October/November for two weeks.

Chuck

deemarket

TUG Member
Reaction score
Feeling better about our decision to stay at MFC in early October this year.

So what building should we request? After looking at many pictures of the resort it looks like the lower buildings would have a better view of the beach especially if on a higher floor. Where can I find a layout of the resort with building names?

And - Thank you all for all the great information and tips. I definitely will buy the II trip insurance. It was offered when I found out the request came through so will call back add buy. Didn't know I could purchase flight insurance. Will call American about that tomorrow. Undecided about the car rental but leaning that way.

Chuck, it was so reassuring to hear that you go every year in Oct/Nov.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
This is the resort map, with building names.
http://t.marriottvacationclub.com/common/cms/mvc/pdfs/resortmaps/frenchmansCoveResortMap.pdf
As an exchanger you will be lucky to receive your building preferences, but it can't do any harm letting the resort know what they are.
My preference is Tortola, although this is in high demand from home week owners.
Because the resort is built on the cliff face, most buildings have reasonably good views though, except perhaps the lowest floors of the upper buildings.
Good luck and enjoy.