• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Thankful

WalnutBaron

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Highlands Inn, Hyatt Pinon Pointe
There is an article in today's Wall Street Journal about the changing landscape of supermarkets and the fact that many stores have too much space because the center of the store where staples and canned goods are sold is slowly dying, since so many Americans now get more and more of their groceries online. Some responders to the story began complaining about hyper-choice, with one person saying, for example, "Why do I need fifteen different sizes and varieties of Goldfish crackers?"

It prompted me to think of a story I'd like to share here:

In 1989, at the height of Glasnost in the Soviet Union, my cousin arrived with her family to California to stay with my mom and dad, who were sponsoring them. They were seeking asylum from the corrupt and crumbling Soviet regime.

On their second day in America, Mom told my cousin, Lili, that she was going to the grocery store and invited her to come along. Lili was excited to see what an American supermarket looked like. Their first stop was at the produce section and when she saw it, Lili was stunned. She could not fathom the huge number of fresh fruits and vegetables, displayed beautifully. She was sure that the nicest product was stacked on top and that the rotten fruit must be hidden on the bottom. Her inspection proved otherwise.

They spent three hours in the store that day, with Lili asking constant questions about things that my mom (and all of us) had grown complacent about: "how often does fresh milk get delivered here?", "you have so many kinds of potato chips with all different flavors...why?", "the meats are so beautiful!--at home everything is salted so it does not spoil but it has flies on it", "they make salads for you to take home? Americans don't cook for themselves?", and on and on.

At Lili's request, they returned the next day to complete her tour of the local supermarket. At the end, Lili asked, "How many stores are there like this in California?" My mom replied, "Hundreds." Lili replied, "I always wondered if the regime lied to us about America. Now I know."

I have never forgotten the story, or recalling Lili's tears when she told us about her first visit to an American supermarket. And I will never take for granted this small example of the rich blessings afforded to us who are fortunate enough to be citizens of this flawed, but still great nation.

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
There is an article in today's Wall Street Journal about the changing landscape of supermarkets and the fact that many stores have too much space because the center of the store where staples and canned goods are sold is slowly dying, since so many Americans now get more and more of their groceries online. Some responders to the story began complaining about hyper-choice, with one person saying, for example, "Why do I need fifteen different sizes and varieties of Goldfish crackers?"

In 1989, at the height of Glasnost in the Soviet Union, my cousin arrived with her family to California to stay with my mom and dad, who were sponsoring them. They were seeking asylum from the corrupt and crumbling Soviet regime.

On their second day in America, Mom told my cousin, Lili, that she was going to the grocery store and invited her to come along. Lili was excited to see what an American supermarket looked like. Their first stop was at the produce section and when she saw it, Lili was stunned. She could not fathom the huge number of fresh fruits and vegetables, displayed beautifully. She was sure that the nicest product was stacked on top and that the rotten fruit must be hidden on the bottom. Her inspection proved otherwise.

They spent three hours in the store that day, with Lili asking constant questions about things that my mom (and all of us) had grown complacent about: "how often does fresh milk get delivered here?", "you have so many kinds of potato chips with all different flavors...why?", "the meats are so beautiful!--at home everything is salted so it does not spoil but it has flies on it", "they make salads for you to take home? Americans don't cook for themselves?", and on and on.

At Lili's request, they returned the next day to complete her tour of the local supermarket. At the end, Lili asked, "How many stores are there like this in California?" My mom replied, "Hundreds." Lili replied, "I always wondered if the regime lied to us about America. Now I know."

I have never forgotten the story, or recalling Lili's tears when she told us about her first visit to an American supermarket. And I will never take for granted this small example of the rich blessings afforded to us who are fortunate enough to be citizens of this flawed, but still great nation.
Hi Don,

What a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Richard

rhonda

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
Lili replied, "I always wondered if the regime lied to us about America. Now I know."
I wonder what they had been told?

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wonder what they had been told?
You may be too young to remember much about the Cold War, but it was as much a war for hearts and minds as it was a war for strategic advantage in the world. The Soviet Union regularly ran news reports emphasizing America's corruption and degradation, often featuring the poorest Americans as examples of the entire society. The Soviet press loved it when America would go into economic recessions so they could show Americans lined up at soup kitchens or seeking jobs in long lines, and they often interviewed disgruntled citizens who complained of the economic malaise in the USA. As we know, these depictions represented a small slice of the U.S. post-World War II, but the Soviet population were fed these kinds of stories constantly in order to "prove" that communism was the future of the world.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I truly loved this story. All Americans are truly bless. When you visit for example parts of Asia, South America, Central America, & Africa just leave the city lights and you will see poverty first hand. I would say 90% of all Americans have electricity , indoor water & plumbing, two televisions, a landline telephone or a cell phone and a roof over their homes.

rhonda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark, DVC, Grand Pacific Palisades // Gone: Warner Springs Ranch, Seapointer (SA), WinPointVIP (?)
You may be too young to remember much about the Cold War, but it was as much a war for hearts and minds as it was a war for strategic advantage in the world. The Soviet Union regularly ran news reports emphasizing America's corruption and degradation, often featuring the poorest Americans as examples of the entire society. The Soviet press loved it when America would go into economic recessions so they could show Americans lined up at soup kitchens or seeking jobs in long lines, and they often interviewed disgruntled citizens who complained of the economic malaise in the USA. As we know, these depictions represented a small slice of the U.S. post-World War II, but the Soviet population were fed these kinds of stories constantly in order to "prove" that communism was the future of the world.
Thank you!

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova

Different World / Different Time

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort

Just shows what we take for granted. I always felt blessed to be born and live in the USA. My parents are both immigrants who became proud citizens and are grateful to live on in our great nation.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Thanks for sharing, Don. That was a great read.

I spent eleven of my twenty Navy years stationed aboard ships. For me, it literally was, "Join the Navy and see the world." With the exception of the Suez Canal, (which I saw from both ends, during different deployments), I have literally sailed around the world. I visited some very affluent places, some historic places, and some seriously depressed places. I have seen wealth beyond imagination, and horrendous poverty that would make you cry. For all the beauty and wonder of it all, good or bad, there was never, ever a time when it didn't feel better than anything to pull into my home port back home. There truly is "no place like home."

Dave

heathpack

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt High Sierra and Highland Inn
Disney’s Grand Californian and Hilton Head Island
Marriott Barony Beach and Mountainside
MVC Points
Sheraton Broadway Plantation
Years ago, I remember watching an interview with two teenage Russian girls who had some remarkable story of escape from the Soviet Union and settling in the US.

After listening to this incredible tale, the interviewer asked them what they thought the best thing about America was.

Almost in unison they answered: Bananas.

Totally hilarious but it stuck with me after all these years. Bananas. Now that's something we Americans really do take for granted.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
And on the other hand:

I taught in California at a high school that was a melting pot of students with a lot of first generation immigrants, including some families who had been granted asylum. There were many refugees from the Vietnam war, as well as other countries. I vividly remember an incident with a Russian student on the 2nd day of class.

At the beginning of class, I announced that there would be a seating chart, and directed everyone to move to the seat that I assigned to them. After all the names were read, the Russian student came up to my desk and said, "I don't sit by [people of a certain race.] I knew her family was here because they had been granted asylum, so I was kind of shocked.

I looked her right in the eye and said - "You are living in the US now, and now you do."

I still shake my head over that one...

WalnutBaron

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
As a postscript to this story, let me update you all on Lili and her family. Lili's first job was to learn English, which she did over her first year in the States. She and her husband then both applied for citizenship, took the classes required to learn about the Constitution, the U.S. form of government and how it works, and a lot of American history, and on a sunny spring day in 1992, they both raised their hands and swore allegiance to the USA and became American citizens. Shortly afterward, Lili began studying to become a registered nurse. Once she became a nurse, she started earning some real income. Her husband--who was the breadwinner while she was going to college full-time for her nursing degree--never had the chance to further his education and began selling cars at a local Toyota dealership.

Lili decided to continue her education, receiving her Master's Degree in Nursing about ten years ago.

Today, she and her husband own a lovely home in a nice suburban neighborhood. Their two sons are married, but no grandchildren--at least not yet.

If you met Lili, you'd instantly like her. She has a twinkle in her eye, loves to tell a good story, and is hilariously funny. She is also uncommonly humble about her amazing life and her accomplishments against all odds. A couple of years ago at a family holiday gathering, I told her how much I admired what she and her husband had accomplished. She seemed a little embarrassed, and shook her head. She looked at me and said, "Really, it was so much easier than what would have happened if I had stayed in St. Petersburg. Coming to this country, you can do almost anything with your life if you're willing to work hard. We were willing to put in the work, and now we are seeing the results of that work, and we will always be grateful for the opportunity this country gave us."

I have learned so much from my humble, warm, exceptional Russian cousin.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
Great story OP, one of the best non-timeshare threads I've ever seen on TUG!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Sometimes, it takes looking at another's perspective to see how truly wonderful our country can be. So many of us take the simple things for granted. Your cousin sounds like a inspiration to all of us.
Thanks for sharing!
Silentg

Joe33426

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Cove at Yarmouth, Star Island, La Belle Maison, Grand Desert, and Bali Hai Villas
Great story! Reminds me of my aunt from Japan. Years ago, when my aunt visited with her family they would go crazy over our grocery stores and had a hard time understanding so much food all in one space. They would stare at all the food in disbelief.

We have lots to be grateful for here in the U.S., one of which is decent quality food at low prices.

Things have to be cheap here. When the snowbirds come from Canada to South Florida for winter they buy TONS of stuff in the stores. I've never talked to them, but I'm sure that the selection and price is much better here.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
And on the other hand:

I taught in California at a high school that was a melting pot of students with a lot of first generation immigrants, including some families who had been granted asylum. There were many refugees from the Vietnam war, as well as other countries. I vividly remember an incident with a Russian student on the 2nd day of class.

At the beginning of class, I announced that there would be a seating chart, and directed everyone to move to the seat that I assigned to them. After all the names were read, the Russian student came up to my desk and said, "I don't sit by [people of a certain race.] I knew her family was here because they had been granted asylum, so I was kind of shocked.

I looked her right in the eye and said - "You are living in the US now, and now you do."

I still shake my head over that one...
What a great teacher you were. You gave her the best lesson by what you said to her and made her do.

Chrisky

TUG Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Joe33426, post: 2034665, member: 70056

Things have to be cheap here. When the snowbirds come from Canada to South Florida for winter they buy TONS of stuff in the stores. I've never talked to them, but I'm sure that the selection and price is much better here.[/QUOTE]

In my part of Canada, southwestern Ontario, it is not selection that takes Canadians to the US but price.

Lovely stories. There are millions of stories like the ones mentioned here of people coming from other parts of the world and having successful lives in both the USA and Canada, and yet there are still people who resent immigrants coming to our countries!