• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

American Airlines has no compassion

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
For us, it's not about refundable tickets. We are covered through Chase, but even if we couldn't recover a penney, we are fortunate in that we can afford to not recoup anything. It's about a company(s) that is not reacting quickly enough to adverse environmental situations that affect some, if not all, of it's customer base. And an industry that has seen so many mergers, that adequate competiton no longer exists. You have chosen to judge others by saying that 'they need more compassion'. This is unfortunate..

Yes, it is unfortunate. This just happened. As has been stated in this thread and others, give it a chance. All this has recently happened. Believe it or not, there's bigger things going on. Assessments are still being made. You, I guess, have determined how quickly one needs to react "to adverse environmental situations..."

"Define compassion: a feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry, in trouble, etc."

I suppose compassion, like anything else, is in the eye of the beholder. My vacation just got messed up. :bawl: In the grand scheme of things right now, for so many thousands of people, I will personally direct my compassion elsewhere. Again, I'm in the same predicament a trip to SXM.

And an industry that has seen so many mergers, that adequate competiton no longer exists. You have chosen to judge others by saying that 'they need more compassion'. This is unfortunate..

It's very interesting, the pot calling the kettle black. You could stop flying altogether, then the evil industry would be taught a good lesson in customer service and COMPASSION. You're obviously supporting that which you abhor so much.:ponder:

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is unfortunate. This just happened. As has been stated in this thread and others, give it a chance. All this has recently happened. Believe it or not, there's bigger things going on. Assessments are still being made. You, I guess, have determined how quickly one needs to react "to adverse environmental situations..."

"Define compassion: a feeling of wanting to help someone who is sick, hungry, in trouble, etc."

I suppose compassion, like anything else, is in the eye of the beholder. My vacation just got messed up. :bawl: In the grand scheme of things right now, for so many thousands of people, I will personally direct my compassion elsewhere. Again, I'm in the same predicament a trip to SXM.

It's very interesting, the pot calling the kettle black. You could stop flying altogether, then the evil industry would be taught a good lesson in customer service and COMPASSION. You're obviously supporting that which you abhor so much.:ponder:

FYI, I have flown over 2 million miles on AA. Several years ago, we changed most of our personal and business travel to Southwest because of their customer friendly policies. Am very happy Southwest is expanding in the Caribbean (this would not be an issue with them).

Egret1986

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
FYI, I have flown over 2 million miles on AA. Several years ago, we changed most of our personal and business travel to Southwest because of their customer friendly policies. Am very happy Southwest is expanding in the Caribbean (this would not be an issue with them).

Thank you for the information. It was very helpful. :thumbup:

Suesue1738

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a very different experience with American Airlines on September 6, when I was trying to get OUT of the Dominican Republic, just HOURS before Hurricane Irma was about to come through there. American Airlines flew a dang-near- empty plane to the DR so our 3:35 flight could remove about 200 people from the island to safety. A friend of ours had a friend on the Southwest flight, leaving within 5 minutes of our flight, and Southwest had already cancelled their flight, so they were stranded there, in the airport. I thanked the flight attendants, and at the end of the flight, the pilot,too, for coming to our rescue! I was, and continue to be, very thankful for the compassion of American Airlines.

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
AA is a business that is also impacted by Storms. I will never understand people's assumptions that any hospitality business (hotel and the airlines etc.) need to make them whole if their vacation plans are wiped out.

Airfares, Timeshares etc are prepaid items. For those items if you can not afford to absorb the loss, then you should purchase the insurance to cover in the event of a loss.

Now most larger businesses do attempt to make things right in as far as they can accommodate based on schedules and airport opening etc. So right now the Airport is closed in SXM and BVI, so they have to make plans to reschedule people. You have more flexibility if you change your plans under there reschedule policy than trying to go it outside of those policy dates. If you dates are NOT yet in the policy timeline, but that timely may likely be extended, I would hold tight and wait to see if the reschedule policy gets extended.

Some smaller businesses may not be able to make things right. It just depends on the business.

There is a whole other issue around the state of recovery of the islands even AFTER the airport is finally open.

Hurricanes are all unplanned, but possible during that window. If you travel during hurricane season, can't afford the loss of writing off your entire vacation, and are concerned, then buy appropriate insurance. No just the throwaway RCI exchange type. It is not travel insurance, it is timeshare vacation coverage ONLY insurance, in that it will not devalue your week but it does NOT cover your remaining travel plans and associate costs that are all at risk.

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things, we are fortunate if all we worry about is whether our vacations are ruined due to hurricane. Tens of thousands of folks are now dealing with more urgent issues such as where to find place to stay, food to eat, jobs that are lost and medical help they need. We should all feel very lucky.
Back to the topic. I had a trip to Bahamas planned leaving tonight. Originally we were to fly through Miami. AA is very responsive and let us change to PHL connection a week ago. Today I just found out that if I want to cancel or reschedule, AA would allow us to do so with no charge as warning for Hurricane Jose is in effect for Bahamas. After reviewing weather forecast and taking the risks into consideration, we've decided to go ahead with our plan. People in Caribbean are hurting. We would like to help in any way we can, including with our tourist dollars.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I think there is a valuable lesson here, albeit somewhat painful for some folks....

When you buy the lowest, cheapest, most restrictive fare, there are less options available to you should plans change; regardless of the cause.

The EU has experienced this same 'bare bones' airfare war over the last few years. The Ryan-Air type tickets are brutal for those that don't understand the meaning of 'bare bones' and try to bring big fat American-style carry-on luggage on the airplane. Solution? They sell their own 'guaranteed to fit' bags now....

Sorry you're having problems, but be patient and kind; it draws more success than bitter vitriol launched at a tired and over-worked employee.
IMHO

lizap

TUG Member
Reaction score
The other lesson here is that consolidation in the airline industry has not been a good thing most consumers. It has resulted in higher fares, more restrictions, poorer service, etc..

Bunk

TUG Member
Reaction score
Once you reach the conclusion that you are not going to travel to SXM or BVI, I suggest you call the airline as soon as possible to see iwhetherf you can cancel your flight without penalty. I know that as of a few days ago, Jet Blue was allowing people with flights in early February to cancel without charging a penalty. I'm not sure how long that policy is going to continue.

Ann-Marie

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Summit @ Massunetten, Sheraton Desert Oasis
So, AA changed my connection to SXM with 45 minutes between flights. I called and told them I am physically challenged. They refunded all my money!

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Hmm. Seems the title of the thread is becoming more.....ironic....by the moment.