• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Checking into an "unacceptable" resort...

falcon

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Discovery Beach Resort

Resort on Cocoa Beach
Until now I would have said no. But over the summer, we brought home BED BUGS! Seriously. We are in the process of getting our house fumigated. We have to dry all our clothes on high heat and put them in plastic bags and live out of them until the next fumigation (10 days later). This will cost about $2000 after all is done! So I was wonder what resorts are doing to combat this issue? As I am finding out, it is WAY more common than one would like to believe. If it's a busy time, they can't always move you to another room. And frankly, if one room in the resort has them, I do NOT want to stay there. So, would RCI/II accommodate? What if it's your home resort? What about bookings that are pre-paid such as on Hotwire or Priceline? Just please, there is an easy way to check for them (you can find it all online). I would advise to leave luggage in the car and check the boxspring and mattresses before checking in ANY where. Because we stayed at a Days Inn on route to our summer holiday that we thought was clean and nice enough, so of course, I figured it was them. But according to the Fumigator, the timing didn't work out. So that leaves our home resort, an Airbnb or an II Exchange as the likely culprit. Unfortunately, we slept around this summer :)

rapmarks

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
We exchanged into nautical beach club, and drove home the next morning. I believe we had the worst unit in the building, DAE replaced the week for us. A long time back, we were assigned a dirty smelly unit and I called rci and said we would drive home rather than stay there, and they moved us to another resort. I called two other times because of problems, once they gave back tpus. Once they did nothing. Sounds like I complain a lot, but this was over twenty five years.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
falcon ...
Sorry for your lesson learned. I been checking for bedbugs several decades now where ever I stay.

And resorts are slowly learning everything needs to be changed and washed between guests .. no bedspreads, plastic sheaving for mattresses, tile flooring (to limit rugs) and all linens ... even the stuff in the linen closets.

A college friend and I had traveled to Old Town Montreal one summer ... stayed in a B&B ... and drove back via the NY Thruway ... scratching our heads around our ears. Pulled over on the side of the road and opened our luggage and FOUND little black dots crawling on our whitey-tidies.

Last edited:

bobby

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
While I'm sure you aren't exaggerating, I have to say I'm extremely surprised. Did you contact staff about the conditions? My mother then myself owned at Lehigh since built and never had a problem. I rent my units immediately when posting 2 winter weeks and renters keep returning. I've been there twice. I've always been impressed by Lehigh's management and maintenance that is scheduled into the yearly posted budgets and eliminates surprise fees if rugs, roof, etc. need replacing, etc. They closed 3 weeks after the recent hurricane and updated owners three times.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Great reviews help but are not always reliable. One time I went to a resort that was rated very highly and when I got there it was only so so. I was disappointed. RCI member rated it a 5, to me it was a 3, outdated, dusty fake plants, stained carpet, unfriendly staff, but not horrible enough for me to leave.

Yes- for me the resorts has to have A LOT of excellent reviews and have to be recent as well.

kc01075

TUG Member
Reaction score
We checked into a gold rated property in Galveston through an RCI exchange. It was really a dump and we had the rooms cleaned before we unloaded our luggage. I contacted the front desk and their management company with no results. I contacted RCI and sent them pictures. They gave us an exchange to use anytime in the next 12 months. I believe the pictures must have been 10 years old and before the hurricane. I would use RCI any time. I also posted a review on Tug.

kc01075

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't anything about your location, however, I do know many timeshare companies have under funded reserves and can't do the need repairs. They may keep a building or a certain level of a building that they normally shut off from use and only use when necessary. These units are dumps.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, were those pictures showing BAD TASTE, OLD DECOR, skimpy furnishings and dark rooms?

I would rate ugly and old as a "1-2 star" resort or less stars. But many timeshare owners have income to live in decent year round housing with newer decor and amenities.

PS My first timeshare ownership was in the "really OLD & UGLY" column the first time I stayed there. The next year, it was all redone ... kitchens, baths, flooring, furniture and etc. Think "Pink metal kitchen cabinets" in the level of UGLY.

rickandcindy23

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
It was years ago ... perhaps 2003'ish. We were assigned to a duplex out near the golf course which was simply awful. Mold and mildew everywhere, ugly stains on the carpet, leaking plumbing, broken appliances, etc. The musty smells were overwhelming. We were quite put off ... ugh. Gladly the RCI desk didn't miss a beat. They quickly, smoothly and cheerfully moved us to a different resort. Phew!
This reminds me of our one and only Orange Lake stay. I will never stay there again. We were in the West Village, old highrise, fifth floor. They turned off the elevator the day we checked out of the resort. Rick had to carry all of the luggage down four flights of stairs. We had groceries, too, because we were moving to Cypress Pointe (which I loved).

kstoner62

TUG Member
Reaction score
Our very first timeshare experience after the orientation. Booked a week in the Palm Springs area because of an extra vacation certificate provided by Interval International. It was actually in Indio at the California Vacation Club at Indian Palms in September of 2016. This was no resort - it was an old country club with some vacant units to fill. We were newbies, and didn't know what to request. My husband is handicapped and needs an accessible bathroom with at the very least bars for the toilets. They told us (after we arrived, because I didn't think to call ahead and ask) they don't even have any ADA units, because they are privately owned so they weren't required! We ended up driving to fast food restaurants just to use the bathroom. There were no ramps at all on the property. We were offered a portable wooden ramp near our unit, but had to ride in the street if we wanted to go anywhere on the property. Worst experience ever, but we toughed it out. I've now learned to call ahead, over and over again, to make sure our accommodations are accessible.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Personally, were those pictures showing BAD TASTE, OLD DECOR, skimpy furnishings and dark rooms?

I would rate ugly and old as a "1-2 star" resort or less stars. But many timeshare owners have income to live in decent year round housing with newer decor and amenities.

PS My first timeshare ownership was in the "really OLD & UGLY" column the first time I stayed there. The next year, it was all redone ... kitchens, baths, flooring, furniture and etc. Think "Pink metal kitchen cabinets" in the level of UGLY.
1. Fire damage from a fire back in June.
2. My reservation was for a 1 bedroom, sleep 5; none available because of fire.
3. Confirmation said "business center" -- The photo is of the only public area. No internet access available.
4. Unit is located in midst of large, 400 units or more, development of some sort of subsidized housing.
5. This was one room, one lightbulb hanging from ceiling. Couldn't read after sunset.

I feel this is below any RCI standard.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Back in mid-May 1991, we booked via RCI a stay in Cape Cod. The accommodations were so bad, we left the next day to return home. The place was a converted motel, dark, dirty and completely unacceptable. We never went back to the Cape based on our experience.
Which Resort?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
This reminds me of our one and only Orange Lake stay. I will never stay there again. We were in the West Village, old highrise, fifth floor. They turned off the elevator the day we checked out of the resort. Rick had to carry all of the luggage down four flights of stairs. We had groceries, too, because we were moving to Cypress Pointe (which I loved).

Was the Elevator the reason you left?

chapjim

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham VIPF & PresRes, HVC/DRI (Gold), Quarter House (4), Resort on Cocoa Beach (2), HGVC Tuscany Village, HGVC South Beach-McAlpin, HGVC Parc Soleil

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
We own at Orange Lake and love it there. I know about all the stories and complaints. We stayed recently and our unit was in great shape. We had good weather so that helps.
We also own a week at Holly Tree in Yarmouth MA. Just a small place to spend time on the Cape in May. Not a luxurious place, but we like it. My point is timeshares are an investment in time, not any sort of real estate value. But the value of my timeshares are the value we get by spending time at the resorts. People want a nice timeshare with low Maintenence and good trading abilities. Yet, when the resorts are in disrepair or dirty or bug invested, the same people resent the resort for asking for special assesment fees. Overall the resorts I've been to lately have all been very nice. Lehigh Acres was a pleasant surprise because we like you, thought it was awful when we first drove in, but after we got into our unit and walked the grounds, we found it charming. May go back again soon!
Silentg

HudsHut

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Emergency Check-in Assistance:
24 hours a day, 7 days a week including all holidays

Contact Center Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: closed

Contact Center hours for Vacation Guide assistance are available local times for RCI® subscribing members in the continental United States, western and central Canada. For members in Hawaii and Alaska contact center hours are based on Pacific Time. For members residing in the Caribbean and Atlantic Canada, hours are based on Eastern Time. RCI.com is available to all North America members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week*.

RCI Weeks Members: 1.317.805.8000 or 1.800.338.7777
RCI Points Members: 1.317.805.9941 or 1.877.968.7476
Fax: 1.317.805.9335

-----
The email is an online form you fill out here:
https://www.rci.com/contact-us
There is no spot to upload photos on the form, but once they respond, you can request their real email.

Good Luck!

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
I stayed six weeks at Lehigh while looking for, and finally buying our home in estero. The rooms are just average, but the amenities made it a nice stay, lots of activities, friendly staff. This was several years ago. I should add that on that buying trip, which was 11 or so weeks long, we were also booked in Englewood, in this unit right under the stairs that apparently was used as a staff smoking lounge. In addition to horrible decor, every dish was filthy, even having a cup full of grease on the shelf, towels were full of stains, room reeked of smoke, bathroom vent loaded with mold, and in the morning we discovered that our bedroom window was also the window on a lanai next to us and we could hear them talking as if in the next room. We were moved to Naples, looked around there, and found our home in estero.

Last edited:

avad88

TUG Member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law was bit by bedbugs in Myrtle Beach at a gold crown resort on our exchange last spring. They were only in 1 bedroom evidently but we put all our clothes in the dryer as a precaution since they can easily be carried from room to room. The GM at the resort was so nice and apologetic giving us food vouchers, changing rooms, etc and begged us not to notify RCI. I am paranoid now when we check into a place.

BettyBoop52

TUG Member
Reaction score
Below is a review I wrote in 2009 about our stay at Wyndham Kauai Beach Villas Resort in May of that year. There were quite a few things we liked about the resort and I mentioned them in the review, but unfortunately, they were off set by the negatives. I understand there has been some improvement, but having read current reviews and looked at 2017 photos on Google, it appears that things haven't changed all that much.

... and now for the downside: the upkeep of the unit itself left a lot to be desired. The sliding doors to the lanai were really corroded and very difficult to open. The lino floors in both bathrooms had some awful discoloration (mould??) that was gross to look at. I refused to go barefoot in the bathrooms. The pillows smelled like mildew. Our 19 year old daughter actually removed one of the pillows on her bed - took it right out of the room because she couldn't stand the smell (and she's not the picky, prissy type). The safe in our closet wouldn't lock properly. The sink in our bathroom drained soooo slowly that washing up was a pain. The faucet for the kitchen sink was very difficult to turn on and off - even for the guys [my husband and 31 year old stepson] and we ladies really had a time with it. (We did call the main desk about these problems, but nothing was done.) Also, the ceiling fans were difficult to control and the one in the living room had one speed - slow! We were grateful for the air conditioners in the bedrooms even though they were noisy because the rest of the unit did get really hot. This place could use central A/C. Everything, even the furniture, just seemed really old and tired. I understand that Kauai Beach Villas is due for renos and if/when that happens, I would recommend it to others, but until then be warned that it is definitely NOT a 4 star resort as claimed by RCI. It seems some units are very nice, but you can't count on consistently good quality in all the buildings.

quikitikit

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Diamond Resorts Lake Tahoe Vacation Resort (EVR), Marriott Newport Coast (NCV), Marriott Destination Club Trust Points
Our 1st trade via II of our Lake Tahoe 1 bedroom Diamond Resort was to Sedona, Arizona Los Abrigados Resort and Spa in 2010. Our room was so dark, the furniture was so dark and so old. The furniture should have gotten updated years ago. We stayed because it's location was convenient. At the time, we heard the resort was recently acquired by Diamond Resorts. Sure hope it had been upgraded since! After having stayed in a rented cabin in Lake Tahoe that had really really old furniture, I was really upset Los Abrigados, a time share, would have such old furniture as well.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Emergency Check-in Assistance:
24 hours a day, 7 days a week including all holidays

Contact Center Hours of Operation
Monday through Friday: 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Saturday: 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: closed

Contact Center hours for Vacation Guide assistance are available local times for RCI® subscribing members in the continental United States, western and central Canada. For members in Hawaii and Alaska contact center hours are based on Pacific Time. For members residing in the Caribbean and Atlantic Canada, hours are based on Eastern Time. RCI.com is available to all North America members 24 hours a day, 7 days a week*.

RCI Weeks Members: 1.317.805.8000 or 1.800.338.7777
RCI Points Members: 1.317.805.9941 or 1.877.968.7476
Fax: 1.317.805.9335

-----
The email is an online form you fill out here:
https://www.rci.com/contact-us
There is no spot to upload photos on the form, but once they respond, you can request their real email.

Good Luck!
I completed said form the day after arrival -- still no reply from RCI. Did online chat, he couldn't help me but confirmed my request had been received. He was the one who told me the hurricane people were getting all of the attention. I didn't set my phone for int'l calling because I have another way to call. But it won't work with RCI.

mike1moss

TUG Member
Reaction score
Exchanged into the Trapp Family Lodge Guest Houses 700 Trapp Hill Road Stowe, VT. April 22, 2017; below is my review I posted on Interval International:
"The people at check-in were very pleasant and gave us information about the resort. They showed us where our “guest house” was and how to get there. We followed the directions and came to a sign at the beginning of a very muddy road saying Do NOT enter. We turned around and drove back down the access road looking down at where we wanted to go. When we turned into the road that looked like it went to the “guest houses” there was a Private Road sign so we went back out to the access road and went down the next road which was a dead end and not where our “guest house” was located. Turning around again we went back toward the access road and up a steep narrow dirt road and finally found our “guest house” (the Private Road was the correct road but having bad directions we didn’t know). All this after driving 5 hours.
The access to our “guest house” from a wet dirt parking lot was down 2 and a half long flights of “stairs” made out of wood layer in dirt. The hand rail was not continuous, the wood was wet and slippery and made even more slippery by being partially covered with very small stones.
After getting to the bottom of these “stairs” and walking across more dirt we had to walk up another set of exterior wood stairs.
When we opened the door to the “guest house” we were hit with a very warm blast of a moldy smell. Thinking to air the place out we opened the door to the deck. We sat down and ate our leftover lunch and started feeling sick, stepping out on the deck for fresh air we saw it had lots of mold on the “floor”. Going back inside we found the bedroom smelled even worst that the living area.
We drove back to check in and told them we were leaving and what the issues were. They were very nice and seemed to be understanding saying we could have a newly renovated unit. If there were newly renovated units available why, as Platinum II owners, weren’t we put in one in the first place.
We declined since we both didn’t feel good from the effects of the “guest house” and wanted to get home before too late.
She said Kelsey Reals from owner services, would call us and get another week to replace this one.
We thanked them and left, getting home at 9:55 PM after a little less that 12 hours on the road.
It’s now May 14th, 23 days after our “check in” date and nothing from Kelsey Reals.
"

It's now September 25th and still nothing from either the "resort" or Interval International.