• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Are fixed weeks worth it?

RRedlich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Vero Beach
DVC Saratoga Springs
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham La Bell Maison
Wyndham Bentley Brook
Wyndham Kingsgate
Charter Club, Marco Island
As an owner of points, do owners of fixed week regret it or is the fixed week worth it? We enjoy visiting the same location yearly or at east 3 out of 4 years. How hard is it to trade the week through RCI ( I know that TPU varies on location and week). I am aware that the MF are high but is the fee worth the location? We are considering Patriots Place as a fixed week. We enjoy the location and the children are 17 and older. They are independent and enoy doing things there with their friends. Thoughts on fix week ownership welcomed

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Do you mean a fixed week, or a deeded week with no points?

Fixed week - a week that can only be used for one specific week of the year at your home resort.

Deeded week with no points - a floating week, which can be used to reserve a season, or any week of the year, at your home resort.

We own 7 or 8 deeded weeks at a Wyndham resort, and they are all ocean front deeds in Hawaii. We bought them so we could make guaranteed ocean front reservations, and recently turned down an offer to enroll them in Wyndham points.

Last edited:

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
A Wyndham Fixed Week does NOT get a "Free" RCI account.

Fixed weeks owner do NOT pay the CWP fee at (about) $.55 per 1K in CWP fee.

Fixed weeks owners do NOT pay a Guest Certificate fee to send ANYONE not on the deed to use their ownership.

If you deposit your Fixed Week into RCI,... twice and combine the TPUs, you can travel once in 2 years (before or after) to a BETTER resort or a BIGGER unit. I don't suggest you buy a DOG WEEK, as those costs do add up. But if you do a family cruise 1 year, you don't have to 'lose' your week. If you just want to go to a BIGGER unit, those combine TPUs for MUST take a great vacation.

I used deposited RCI weeks (TPUs) to go the Hawaii.... booked 3 units for 1 week at a beach front resort on Kawai ... for an extended family getaway. Nice trip ... very glad I got my people together. My BIL .. who I really did not like very much ... was "just giddy to be in Hawaii and could see the ocean from his unit". He dropped dead less than 6 months later, VERY VERY unexpectedly for being a 46yo guy (blood vessel burst in his brain). Good/better memories of him from our stay in Hawaii .. for all of us. My sister had a professional photo taken of them at the Beach House point at sunset with the ocean & rocks behind them ... just a wonderful shot ... is her favorite photo of them together.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score
If it works for you, enjoy

If you want a guarantee of time and place, buy a fixed week. If you want flexibility of time, but a guarantee of place, buy a floating week and if you want flexibility of time and place, buy into a points system

I take issue with your assertion that "the MF are high" The mf are the same whether the week is a week or whether its been converted to points. Its actually cheaper to leave it as a week, because there is no program fee with the week and as Linda has said, there are no guest fees or transaction fees

Roger830

TUG Member
Reaction score
As an owner of points, do owners of fixed week regret it or is the fixed week worth it?

We bought our first fixed week in 2000 and now own weeks 4,5,6 in Hollywood Beach, FL
We have never traded and always look forward to staying there, especially this time of the year.
When we arrive at the resort we're treated like vip.

We also own Wyndham points.
At most resorts, when we arrive, we are treated like fresh meat for sales.

Last edited:

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
The fixed week at the resort you are looking at tends not to be hard to get into. Have stayed there a number of times. Location of the fixed week, I think, should be considered. In this case, I think a points based Wyndham Contract would be better using any location as the home resort.

tschwa2

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
As an owner of points, do owners of fixed week regret it or is the fixed week worth it? We enjoy visiting the same location yearly or at east 3 out of 4 years. How hard is it to trade the week through RCI ( I know that TPU varies on location and week). I am aware that the MF are high but is the fee worth the location? We are considering Patriots Place as a fixed week. We enjoy the location and the children are 17 and older. They are independent and enoy doing things there with their friends. Thoughts on fix week ownership welcomed
I think MF are too high at this location for the amenities at that resort and it is an easy trade in the summer if you plan early enough. Your trading value will probably not be that high. If you want Williamsburg and do not want the Wyndham points system for whatever the reason including MF, I would probably suggest a float Kings Creek 3 or 4 bedroom, ideally the section that exchanges through both II and RCI or a fixed week summer 4 br annual or EOY at the Colonies at Williamsburg- exchanges through II only but it is about $820 for a 4 br unit that locks off into 2- two bedroom units with full kitchens.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I own two fixed weeks and one float. They are all deeded. I own no points. One of my fixed is with Wyndham. I love it! I love my weeks, they work well for my family.

How well they trade in RCI depends on what the week is. The better the week, the better it trades, in general.

I did not know fixed week owners don’t have to pay a guest certificate fee to let others use their weeks. That’s good to know for the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RRedlich

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC Vero Beach
DVC Saratoga Springs
Wyndham Avenue Plaza
Wyndham La Bell Maison
Wyndham Bentley Brook
Wyndham Kingsgate
Charter Club, Marco Island
Thank you for the feedback. We were looking at a fixed week in the summer. We own fixed weeks in NOLA and enjoy the weeks there every year and certainly would give consideration to purchsing another fixed week.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score

Although it is a "yesterday's news" product, there are still some "converted" fixed weeks within Wyndham (we owned one such week, but no longer).
I seem to recall it being called a "Club Wyndham Plus"week, which we acquired in the resale market for peanuts. Such weeks were initially purchased from Wyndham as deeded fixed weeks. For a fee (which was around $2,500 a decade ago, I was told), points could also later be added / attached to that same deeded fixed week, thereby giving the owner the option of either using that unit / week or foregoing usage of the week in any given year and "credit pooling" the associated points instead, to be used later elsewhere. We did both, at one time or another, before parting with the ownership by giving it away to a (non-commercial / non-landlord) TUG member. That 2BR deeded fixed FL week had 183,000 points associated with it, iirc.

Dunno if it's "doable" for you to find such a week available at your identified resort of interest, but if you could find such a "converted" fixed week there in the resale market, that would seem to provide the best of both worlds (a deeded fixed week and points), no? :shrug:

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We own mostly fixed weeks, bought for times we would use ourselves. We have a fixed points week too that we use for IHG stays thru HICV. We have done exchanges thru TUG too, those have been most successful. We belong to II and RCI also. Some resorts we exchange occasionally but the motto we follow is buy where you want to stay and when. We have been fortunate to have exchange to many nice places. Our home resorts are the best( at least for us).
Silentg

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I own at a Wyndham resort but I am not a Wyndham owner. I own a fixed week 30 with an "attached" off season floating week that varies every year and is pre-assigned by the resort. We love it! And we can drive to it- 5.5 -6 hours. For many years when our son was young we exchanged the floater through RCI to go all over the country. This was in the days of the color system before TPU's. We now just use the off season week at our home resort as well. We no longer belong to RCI and save on the exchange fees and membership costs. We now just belong to the free membership independent exchange companies for the once in a blue moon times we might want to exchange. We have an exchange coming up Sept. 2018 actually through Trading Places.

We also own at another resort a fixed week 31 which follows our fixed week 30 one. We drive 2 hours from one to the other, which is in a nearby state.

I love not having to deal with points and exchanges and so on. We just show up. Easy. If we want to go other places, we add an extra vacation to our itinerary for the year through renting from other owners, or using Home Away.

amycurl

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love our fixed week, fixed unit, even though we only used it during that time maybe 3 times in the past 22 years. Here's a key to figuring out the value of a particular fixed week, one which I think is more reliable than even trading power:
1) Would you be upset if you could do nothing but be in that unit at that same time each year? ( We wouldn't mind it a bit!)
and
2) Can you rent it for enough to at least cover your MF, relatively easily? (Our HOA resort manager rents units on behalf of owners, and takes a %, but the week will still generate about x2 MF for owners of summer weeks.) This will allow you to opt-out of the "exchange game" as needed, and is a much more transparent (and easy) way to determine value. You can always use the $ to go wherever else you want. (We've never rented, because we enjoy the exchange game...and we've gotten some great ones, like Xmas and NYE weeks on Maui.)