• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Make sure to vote or MVC will expand Control

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
It is now more important than ever for every owner to vote in all home resorts. MVC has demonstrated that they will not act in owners' best interest and only have their own profitability in mind. They are expanding their ownership presence at all legacy resorts and will surely use all of their votes in their best interests.

Only a small percentage of owners typically vote in these annual elections, but this year your vote is critical. Resorts need strong leadership boards to stand up to MVC and to keep MF's in line.

Gemini Chica

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marbella Beach Resort
Playa Andaluza
I am a new owner, how do you know when it is? And how do you vote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am a new owner, how do you know when it is? And how do you vote?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As an owner, you should receive an email (or a letter if you do not use email) from your “home” week(s) resort well in advance of the vote each year with details of what you need to do to make sure you have a say in what happens at your resort.
If you do not receive this or are unsure whether you have your email/postal details registered with them, you might want to contact the resort GM or Owner Board.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
How many proxy votes does MVC have?

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
IT varies by resort. I think it is based on the % of total units that are controlled by the MVC trust. They may have some additional votes for 'unowned' weeks from foreclosures and other sources, but most of those are likely converted to the trust.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
That will vary by resort, depending on both how many weeks MVC directly control and how many owners may choose to elect for MVC representative(s) to vote on their behalf.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
My issue has been who am I supposed to vote for to protect owners. I pretty much give my proxy for quorum purpose or throw it away.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
When do the ballots usually go out? What is the cutoff date for new owners?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
When do the ballots usually go out? What is the cutoff date for new owners?
This varies hugely by resort.
This year, across our 5 resorts, the ballots went out between mid April and mid August.

Tokapeba

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Mountainside, Worldmark, Ridge Tahoe
I bought 2 last spring, I will keep an eye out for the ballots.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
My issue has been who am I supposed to vote for to protect owners. I pretty much give my proxy for quorum purpose or throw it away.

Obviously I don'/won't know the board members of any of my resorts. Therefore my method is to take a hard look at each candidate's resume (usually is included with the meeting notice/agenda/vote proxy documents); then decide which individual has the best qualifications AND owns the most weeks at the resort!

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Unfortunately, most of the owner-unfriendly decisions that have been made recently in Marriott Vacation Club in the aftermath of the hurricanes appear to have been directed by management at the corporate Marriott Vacations Worldwide level rather than the individual resort management or the resort boards. While that doesn't diminish the importance of actively reviewing the qualifications of BOD candidates for your resorts, we should not overestimate the power that the individual resort boards have in influencing decisions that come from the corporate level, where maximizing earnings and sales to keep Wall Street investors and analysts happy is always job #1.

suenmike32

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MOW
Congratulations to JiminNC and 007. We should never throw our votes away or just "not" vote. As owners it's getting more costly every year, we are losing more status versus point's owners and Big Brother (Marriott) is not the least bit concerned
about weeks owner's rights. Someone needs to protect and represent us, (that's where a qualified and self-interested BOD comes in). I try to never miss a vote.
Mike

MALC9990

TUG Member
Reaction score
Here is a thought that weeks owners might want to consider. At many resorts MVC is now a significant weeks owner. Either the weeks are owned by the Destinations Club Trust or they are owned by The Asia Pacific Points Club. Nothing wrong with this ownership. However have weeks owners considered the impact there will be when MVC exercises their voting rights.

At one of my home resorts, the Asia Pacific Points Club owns slightly more than 20% of the weeks having gained this ownership through revocations of ownership when owners fail to pay MFs and through buying back weeks from owners seeking to get out of ownership.

At my resort, typically less than 5% of owner weeks at voted in elections. When MVC does exercise their 20% vote of ownership - they decide who is on the owners advisory board. Given a few years, MVC will have chosen all the board members.

This is not necessarily a bad thing but it does mean that should a board member wish to be re-elected - they had better be in MVC's good books to ensure they stay on the board.

I believe that this has significant implications for those resorts where there are significant DC Trust owned weeks. Remember that when you buy DC TRUST points, you forego any voting rights. Those voting rights at the resorts with Trust owned weeks are with MVC management.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I am not sure if it is appropriate, but it will be great for some guidance here on TUG about who / what we should vote for whenever we receive a ballot.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
I am not sure if it is appropriate, but it will be great for some guidance here on TUG about who / what we should vote for whenever we receive a ballot.

We should all soon start seeing the Annual Meeting packets with proxies and an explanation of the items up for a vote, including the bios of anybody running for board seats. TUG has no rules against discussion related to voting. :) If you start a thread it will be helpful for later search purposes if the thread is titled "2018 [Resort Name] Annual Meeting/Vote" or something similar.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Unless you are actually able to attend a BOD meeting, you won't really know what goes on or if any candidate is really qualified. All you ever see on the proxies is a short profile. While useful, they don't really provide a lot of information. I think it should also be stated how many different BOD a candidate sits on.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Even before the DC I'd always thought that the voting rights of owners are in many ways an illusion because if MVC is challenged by ownership to the point where owners wrest control of what MVC considers important, they have the unilateral right to sever the management agreement taking their names off the doors and taking away our affiliation with Marriott Rewards and the Destination Club. I know, that's extreme, but it has happened at several resorts.

There are, though, still a few very good reasons to vote every time on every issue. One is that it gives MVW a good idea of how many owners are paying attention and what the majority are thinking, meaning it may sway them in advance to mitigate whatever damage they intend to inflict on us. Another, especially at the older resorts which still have a supermajority of Weeks Owners/voters despite the DC, is that some items require one or both of two things, a quorum from owners other than MVW and/or a majority vote which MVW's limited votes may or may not be enough to sway. (An example result of the former coming into play is that if a quorum isn't reached, MVW is required by law to re-schedule the Annual Meeting with all associated costs assumed by the owners. An example of the latter is a fully-funded reserve issue up for a vote at one of the older FL or SC resorts, which MVW recommends owners vote for a waiver but which will go the other way if enough owners don't vote.)

I know all this sounds like I think ownership control is hopeless and we should just give up and give in to whatever MVW wants. That really isn't the case - I'd vote against anything that I think isn't good for the overall ownership, and I'd make sure to write to the Board/MVW Executives with an explanation of exactly why. But honestly, over the years I have been quite happy with the way MVW and the resort Boards have taken care to protect my ownership, and if things continue that way I expect to be happy with them for a long time.

{ETA} Writing this I'm not including the impact of how MVW is currently managing inventory following the hurricanes this year. That issue is probably the most concerning in all the years I've owned, but until we (hopefully) understand and have official confirmation of exactly what MVW did and how/why, I can't yet say that they are The Devil Incarnate.

Last edited:

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Unless you are actually able to attend a BOD meeting, you won't really know what goes on or if any candidate is really qualified. All you ever see on the proxies is a short profile. While useful, they don't really provide a lot of information. I think it should also be stated how many different BOD a candidate sits on.

I agree, I think that should be a requirement in the bios. Some include it even though it's not required and those candidates get at least a nod from me for their transparency. I don't think it's something that automatically disqualifies, which I know some other TUGgers do think so.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We should all soon start seeing the Annual Meeting packets with proxies and an explanation of the items up for a vote, including the bios of anybody running for board seats. TUG has no rules against discussion related to voting. :) If you start a thread it will be helpful for later search purposes if the thread is titled "2018 [Resort Name] Annual Meeting/Vote" or something similar.
I just took a quick look at the relevant dates for my “home” resorts, for which the 2017 voting deadlines have all passed.
So there seems to be very little consistency on dates for the process across MVC.

Grand Chateau - email April 14, deadline June 6, AGM June 13

Phuket Beach Club - email July 27, deadline September 6, AGM November 5

Club Son Antem - email July 31, deadline September 14, AGM October 14

Playa Andaluza - email August 11, deadline October 3, AGM October 10

St Kitts Beach Club - email August 14, deadline September 26, AGM October 3

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I just took a quick look at the relevant dates for my “home” resorts, for which the 2017 voting deadlines have all passed.
So there seems to be very little consistency on dates for the process across MVC.

Grand Chateau - email April 14, deadline June 6, AGM June 13

Phuket Beach Club - email July 27, deadline September 6, AGM November 5

Club Son Antem - email July 31, deadline September 14, AGM October 14

Playa Andaluza - email August 11, deadline October 3, AGM October 10

St Kitts Beach Club - email August 14, deadline September 26, AGM October 3

I'm sorry, I still sometimes think only in terms of US-based Weeks, not considering AP and non-US properties. Doh!

aka Julie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Shadow Ridge (platinum)
I'm wary of MVC execs/employees who serve on the resort boards. To me that's a conflict of interest and I do not vote for them.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
We can get a very good feel of the relative MVC Trust ownership from the excellent work by dioxide45 from post #311 in
https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/recorded-trust-documents.124949/page-13
although this does not include Asia Pacific Points Club Ownership.
Is there any simple, practical way though of translating this into % inventory the MVC trust owns at each resort?
In 2016, about 1/3 of owners (weeks) voted, totaling about 6000 votes. MVC had 2300 votes, including the trust. This really illustrates that MVC is not allocating the availability at all in proportion to ownership, since Encore/cash rentals would be supported by only a fraction of MVC's ownership (most would be for VC trust points).

I wonder if there is any way that we could force MVC to share their inventory allocation records for Ocean Pointe, Grand Ocean, Crystal Shores and Beach Place. There has to be some contractual requirements that they are breaking.

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
In 2016, about 1/3 of owners (weeks) voted, totaling about 6000 votes. MVC had 2300 votes, including the trust. This really illustrates that MVC is not allocating the availability at all in proportion to ownership, since Encore/cash rentals would be supported by only a fraction of MVC's ownership (most would be for VC trust points).

I wonder if there is any way that we could force MVC to share their inventory allocation records for Ocean Pointe, Grand Ocean, Crystal Shores and Beach Place. There has to be some contractual requirements that they are breaking.

I don't think it's a stretch to say that inventory allocation/management is the number one item questioned of all timeshare developers/managers. With the way the docs are written, the only way to force them to make public their numbers and processes is via a lawsuit that will take gobs of time and money. Their first defense will be to make it difficult for you to obtain the governing docs if you don't already have them, then if you/your attorney want to expand to a class action you'll have to fight almost-insurmountable privacy laws in order to find/contact similar owners, if you make it past that mountain they'll then force you to prove you have a right to make a claim, next will be whether your claim has been filed properly, next will be to counter your complaint with other matters that may or may not be at issue thus taking up more valuable time and money, next will be another round of proving the proper venue for the surviving claims, and on and on and on and on until the world ends or you give up, whichever happens first. And one of the reasons they fight so hard isn't necessarily because they will be proven wrong, but because they want to protect at all cost the secrecy of any industry information which if made public would help their competitors.

What they also have in their favor are owners (like me) who support their rights as much as the owners' rights, meaning that unless we can prove wrongdoing on their part then we shouldn't claim they are in the wrong. I know most will say that I and others who think the same way are self-defeating, and I can't disagree. But I also agree that eventually enough bad publicity and owner distrust will hurt their bottom line, so hopefully that eventuality is what keeps them just this close to doing right and what might lead them to doing more than just what is right. Hopefully.

Last edited: