• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Westin St John [Master Thread] - Part 2 (June 2014 and forward)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
u3ynsycjtQOcyk0bf241bywGWh6poqwo-BcUnxLAx9QU-YAi_XW96DaIznG9-VTqdeI-bbHAepvRBwAMGTrSpFqxvVNYnLW99UE8PCJPadwiYF54cq2UsF9aTcFVZ_STjPc=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Westin St. John Owners,

As you are aware, the Caribbean and specifically the islands of St. John and St. Thomas were significantly affected by the recent hurricanes. Given the magnitude of these storms, it has taken time for us to assess the full impact on The Westin St. John Resort Villas and the local community. We understand your concern about your vacation ownership at the resort and want to assure you that we will keep you informed with the latest information as it becomes available.

During Hurricane Irma, our top priority was to ensure the safety and well-being of our Guests and Associates at the resort. Our 300 Guests and 37 Associates took shelter at the resort, where they remained safe with food, water and power. Shortly after the storm passed, we chartered a ferry to transport all Guests safely to Puerto Rico where they were able to return home. We are pleased to report that there were no serious injuries, however, many of our Associates’ homes and belongings have been destroyed. Through the company’s relief fund, we are providing support and assistance to help with their immediate and long-term needs. We continue to support the community by providing assistance to first responders and supplying fresh water to those on the island who may not otherwise have access.

The Westin St. John Resort Villas suffered structural damage and water inside the villas. Within a week, risk management and facilities professionals along with restoration and security contractors were on-site to assess the damage and secure the resort. Our cleanup efforts are underway and we are working on a timeline to complete the remediation efforts. We will continue to work closely with each Association’s Board of Directors and provide regular updates.

In order to proceed with these efforts, the recovery process requires the cancellation of all scheduled reservation arrivals through June 30, 2018. At this time, no new reservations are being accepted for 2018. As we make progress, we will communicate updates should these dates change.

Your 2018 annual assessment is currently under discussion with your Association’s Board of Directors and will be mailed as scheduled. Although you are unable to occupy, deposit or convert your ownership, we are providing alternatives to help you preserve your 2018 vacation:
  • Reserve a Vistana Signature Network reservation for a stay at one of our other 20 network resorts; OR
  • Bank your 2018 Use Year StarOptions with no transaction fee, which are valid for use through December 31, 2021; OR
  • Assign your Weeks or Points Use Right with the full trading power of your Home Resort interval with Interval International(1) for use through December 31, 2020. While there is no fee to assign your week, at the time you initiate a vacation exchange request, Interval will collect its current exchange fee.(2)
In addition to the above choices, you may purchase an SPG Starpoints package (up to 110,000 Starpoints) at a preferred rate that can be redeemed at over 1,300 hotels and resorts worldwide (package valid for six years from issuance and subject to the terms and conditions of the SPG program).

To take advantage of one of these options, please contact Owner Services at 888-986-9637 or 407-903-4635. For more information and ways to donate to resort Associates or the local community, please refer to Frequently Asked Questions.

On behalf of The Westin St. John Resort Villas family, thank you for your care and concern.

Sincerely,
p3PMi_P_h-hUbL57aKfZhGVIT9eJlqElCK0PZk29ppHd54k7Wy1NY5LHVZqEifrsZK4ohQaW2oTsSsWQjTrgGhXkpaZ278Tloc5LJJiwKhYI6hXzZz_3ZXS2fFepuXt2-57QlM0O3A=s0-d-e1-ft

Thorp Thomas
Senior Vice President

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
Vistana Owner Services is telling me the Starpoints package available to purchase by WSJ owners is only for buyers of developer units, not resales. I don't see that condition in the letter from Vistana. Anyone else have this understanding?

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Vistana Owner Services is telling me the Starpoints package available to purchase by WSJ owners is only for buyers of developer units, not resales. I don't see that condition in the letter from Vistana. Anyone else have this understanding?
That's shady. It doesn't say that. Maybe that's why others had issues trying to buy too?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score

It took a couple of escalation requests but they are now letting me buy the package.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN and Lagunamar
May have been an oversight on their part but it doesn't surprise me as no resales (not even Mandatory resorts) carry forward the option to convert ownership to SPG points.

Just saw the update - glad you managed to get what you wanted, especially with what WSJ owners have been going through.

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
May have been an oversight on their part but it doesn't surprise me as no resales (not even Mandatory resorts) carry forward the option to convert ownership to SPG points.

Just saw the update - glad you managed to get what you wanted, especially with what WSJ owners have been going through.

Well, after being on hold for 15 minutes they said they would call me back to do the transaction. They said the same thing last week. We will see if it happens.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
It took a couple of escalation requests but they are now letting me buy the package.

Who did this get escalated to?
I have called 3 times and given my CC info twice. Radio silence...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tborr123

TUG Member
Reaction score
It’s not yet done as they said they would call back to do the transaction during a less busy time. I first talked to the representative who answered the call, and when she said no, I asked to speak to her supervisor. After a few minutes on hold she transferred me to the resolution representative and I had the same conversation refuting his assertion that it was not available to resale owners. I again asked to speak to his supervisor, and after another few minutes he came back on and said he had checked and I was right. He offered to transfer me to someone who could do the deal and fifteen minutes later said he would call back in 48-72 hours.

GrayFal

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
I have called and was turned down as well. I will PM you for the details.

I know as a resale owner I am not permitted to convert my ownership to SP but this is not a conversion offer. It is an offer to purchase at a reduced rate.

Edit..., I just saw your detailed response. I will call back again and escalate this further.
Possibly an email to someone further up the chain?
Thx

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
I have called and was turned down as well. I will PM you for the details.

I know as a resale owner I am not permitted to convert my ownership to SP but this is not a conversion offer. It is an offer to purchase at a reduced rate.

Edit..., I just saw your detailed response. I will call back again and escalate this further.
Possibly an email to someone further up the chain?
Thx

Please keep us updated on this. I am interested in how this plays out. Pretty smarmy if they exclude resale owners when the email clearly says WSJ Owners, not owners of developer sales only. If that is the case BV, CV & SB resale owners are doubly screwed. :mad:

Johnsky

Reaction score
I successfully exchanged two WSJ-BVV non-developer weeks (2017 and 2018) via Interval International for two back-to-back weeks at Westin Nanea. Of course there is a cost for exchanging, but I'm so thrilled that my WSJ weeks are not a total loss. I put the exchange request in about 3 weeks ago and received the confirmations this week. FWIW, there appears to be newly released Nanea inventory on Interval. I imagine that Vistana has released a certain percentage of unsold units to Interval.

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Please keep us updated on this. I am interested in how this plays out. Pretty smarmy if they exclude resale owners when the email clearly says WSJ Owners, not owners of developer sales only. If that is the case BV, CV & SB resale owners are doubly screwed. :mad:

Well... it looks as if the VSE/VSN/WSJ decided to let resale buyers purchase these SPs.
My CC charge just went thru - finally, after multiple calls and leaving my CC info (incl CCV) twice, after being forwarded to department that handles these requests. Call before 5pm EST.
I figured that it was a 'resale' issue that may have been overlooked.

Now... what to do with my new SPs? We had run low since our switch from AMEX to CSR.

...and thanks Vistana

GrayFal

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Bluegreen SVV Morritt's Seaside Former WSJx5
On phone now

What is the name of the department please?

Edit. They put me right thru and took CC #. :cheer:
No run around.
I have a feeling they have gotten more than a few complaints!

Thanks for doing the right thing Vistana :hi:

Last edited:

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
My info is outdated, glad it worked out.

I called today and got the 110K Points. They told me it was one package per WSJ direct owner. No packages for retro units or multiple weeks.

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks! What is the normal buying rate for SPG points? Sorry I am not well versed with SPG points (mainly Marriott rewards user). Approximately how many nights can be booked with 110K points in top destinations?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Thanks! What is the normal buying rate for SPG points? Sorry I am not well versed with SPG points (mainly Marriott rewards user). Approximately how many nights can be booked with 110K points in top destinations?

Note: this is a WSJ Owner Offer only - 1 per Owner regardless of number of VOIs or HOs owned.

I posted a consensus poll (unscientific due to being underpowered) - see earlier post. 1.65c/SP was in the most ‘voted’ for range.

Also there was the TPG valuation for Marriot/SPG conversion that put it at 2.7c/SP iirc

IMO - the value is determined by the need and usage. This is an excellent price. The retail price is 3.5 cents and they sometimes give up to 30% discount.

Even with their lotto offers -the best you can get is 50% (1.75c/SP)

I bought them to use them as we have run low. Otherwise I would pass.

Also - best to gain SP using the AMEX SPG. (vs. buying). IMO
but the math will always be fuzzy...

As to what 110K gets you? Depends. Also @duke posted an UA offer for a SP-MR-UA conversion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LisaH

TUG Lifetime Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds like a nice offer. My Marriott points are running low. Need some hotel points for staying in big city here and there. Will order Monday.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Thanks! Sounds like a nice offer. My Marriott points are running low. Need some hotel points for staying in big city here and there. Will order Monday.
The best Starpoint deals are in Europe. We will be 5 nights each in April at the Westin Valencia and Westin Palacio, Madrid, (40,000 and 48,000 pts, respectively). We have also had excellently priced stays in Dublin, Nuremberg and Prague.

echino

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HYN HCC HWP HYP
HRA KAN WSJ WKV WLR SVV
MCV MKO MM1 MPU MSK
GP7
Valdoro
HHV Lagoon
Approximately how many nights can be booked with 110K points in top destinations?

Three.

Standard rooms are at most 35,000 starpoints per night, so 110,000 package will give you 3 nights in a standard room at their top hotels. However, some hotels and resorts do not have standard rooms. Those may cost up to 90,000 starpoints per night.

Status
Not open for further replies.