• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

toddc2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Just passed ROFR -- Maui Ocean Club Napili/Lahaina, 2-bedroom, ocean front, EOY, $13,500, buyer paying closing costs.
Wow, that's a great price! I'm a little irritated as I'm going through ROFR in the original towers for $12k + costs after Marriott exercised at $10k about two months ago. 2BR OF EOY.

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score
Finally after 4 tries, I passed ROFR on 1000 points.

I passed at $3.30 per point before fees. Previously failed at $2.50, $2.75, and $3.00. Almost lost this transaction too as the seller called Marriott to see if they wanted to buy before they signed the contract. They offered $3.00 per point, matching my offer however the net amount received by seller would have been more. I upped my offer to $3.30 and after waiting a little over 3 weeks I got the Waiver yesterday.

This will put me at Presidential and I think I’m done acquiring weeks and points now. Total costs including fees and closing will put me at $6800.

This purchase breaks down into the following:
$3300 for Points
$3000 for Enrollment/Junk Fees
$500 for Closing costs.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points

I passed at $3.30 per point before fees. Previously failed at $2.50, $2.75, and $3.00. Almost lost this transaction too as the seller called Marriott to see if they wanted to buy before they signed the contract. They offered $3.00 per point, matching my offer however the net amount received by seller would have been more. I upped my offer to $3.30 and after waiting a little over 3 weeks I got the Waiver yesterday.

This will put me at Presidential and I think I’m done acquiring weeks and points now. Total costs including fees and closing will put me at $6800.

$3300 for Points
$500 for Closing costs.
Congrats on the purchase. Good to know that MVC will actually buy back points even if at a lowly $3 per point. I was told at a fairly recent sales pitch that they were now doing this on occasion when approched.

Now that you are Presidential, you need to crank up your tweet count!!!!

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
nice!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
A very good result.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

I passed at $3.30 per point before fees. . . . Total costs including fees and closing will put me at $6800.

$3300 for Points
$500 for Closing costs.

So the cost per point was $6.80, all in.

About half the price of purchasing retail.

But to get there, one must be diligent, focused, and play perfect chess. Well done.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k

But to get there, one must be diligent, focused, and play perfect chess. Well done.

perfect chess and $0.56 a point MF's :D

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Agreed. And it made perfect sense considering the small number of points required to attain Presidential level.
I would point out, however, that it is easy to purchase a bundle straight from Marriott at about the same cost per point (if you want more than 1,000 Points, that is). There are other threads on this, but last week I was offered a bundle for effectively $7.08 per point with a slightly lower MF, and additional benefits such as MR points, Plus points, and further MR points by putting the purchase on a Marriott (or Ritz or even better, SPG) credit card. Btw, I declined...already have plenty of weeks and DC points. Waiting for an “amnesty” offer” (free or low cost enrollment of some currently ineligible weeks). Ymmv of course. Cheers.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Steven, congrats on the purchase and enjoy the Presidential!!

You’ve been on quite a tear in 2017 and nice work on the additions!

Best,

Greg

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Deleted.. in rereading my post and looking at others, I didn't add anything of value.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Deleted.. in rereading my post and looking at others, I didn't add anything of value.

If that was the criteria, I would be below 100 posts. :)

toddc2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Well, slow response from Marriott but this MOC 2/3 EOY OF passed ROFR at $12k.

I wish Marriott was as concerned with resale value when they re-purchased my $29k 1/2 OV developer week for $8k a couple of years ago...

Last edited:

StevenTing

TUG Member
Reaction score

That's correct. $6.80 all in.

Agreed. And it made perfect sense considering the small number of points required to attain Presidential level.
I would point out, however, that it is easy to purchase a bundle straight from Marriott at about the same cost per point (if you want more than 1,000 Points, that is). There are other threads on this, but last week I was offered a bundle for effectively $7.08 per point with a slightly lower MF, and additional benefits such as MR points, Plus points, and further MR points by putting the purchase on a Marriott (or Ritz or even better, SPG) credit card. Btw, I declined...already have plenty of weeks and DC points. Waiting for an “amnesty” offer” (free or low cost enrollment of some currently ineligible weeks). Ymmv of course. Cheers.

I was sitting at 9225 points before the purchase. Had I been at 9250, I would have tried to negotiate an odd size package with Marriott but in my case, 750 wouldn't have been enough.

One could say that I "overpaid" by $1000 since I didn't do 1500 points to maximize the value of the junk fees but I didn't want to pay an additional $1650 for those 500 points. Now I just sit here waiting for closing documents.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
Just received notice that Marriott has declined ROFR on a 2 bedroom winter (Red Season) villa at Desert Springs II.
Sales price is $2,950 with closing costs of an additional $775. Total cost: $3,725. Guess we will be reactivating our old II account!

toddc2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ocean Club
Todd, do you know when the ROFR was submitted? I have one that went in Monday before Thanksgiving and hope to hear this week. Previous one was less than 10 days.

Sorry for the slow response! It's difficult for me to say when it was submitted. I signed the contract 7 Oct 2017 and didn't hear back until 28 Nov 2017.

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Sorry for the slow response! It's difficult for me to say when it was submitted. I signed the contract 7 Oct 2017 and didn't hear back until 28 Nov 2017.

No worries, turns out my two just cleared ROFR within 10 business days of submission in Nov and Dec. I'll post details once the titles transfer.

zora

TUG Member
Reaction score
Just rec'd notice from Global Resort Transfer that my purchase of an EOY-even Ko Olina mountain view at $2,499 passed. :cheer:
Suzanne.

Edit to add: Seller paid closing costs and yes, dioxide45, I added this to the ROFR list. Thank you SO much for creating and maintaining this list. It is much appreciated.

Last edited:

Jayco29D

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott, Vistana
Does anyone know how often Vistana is exercising ROFR on Westin Princeville?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Just rec'd notice from Global Resort Transfer that my purchase of an EOY-even Ko Olina mountain view at $2,499 passed. :cheer:
Suzanne.

Congrats!!! Ko Olina is a lovely property and that’s a great price!!! Enjoy it!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Suzanne.

Edit to add: Seller paid closing costs and yes, dioxide45, I added this to the ROFR list. Thank you SO much for creating and maintaining this list. It is much appreciated.

Suzanne, congratulations on your purchase. We love Ko Olina and wish you many memorable vacations there. Happy traveling.

Best regards.

Mike

Bodie

TUG Member
Reaction score

Hello, You seem to have been offered a similar deal to us which is a 1/2 OV Gold Aruba at $23,300 and 2050 annual pts. That would put us at Presidential Level and Platinum Marriott Rewards. I can't wheel and deal the way others on this thread do with ROFR, etc. Just want to keep it simple.
What are your thoughts on this? Good and/or bad. You see to have a good grasp of all things MVC. Thanks and Happy New Year.

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Hello, You seem to have been offered a similar deal to us which is a 1/2 OV Gold Aruba at $23,300 and 2050 annual pts. That would put us at Presidential Level and Platinum Marriott Rewards. I can't wheel and deal the way others on this thread do with ROFR, etc. Just want to keep it simple.
What are your thoughts on this? Good and/or bad. You see to have a good grasp of all things MVC. Thanks and Happy New Year.
Bodie, the Good: Presidential; Platinum; Simple. The questions I would ask: 1. How many DC Points does the Gold Aruba generate if you elect points? 2. Would you stay at Aruba sometimes (not necessary, but a plus)? 3. What is the total Cost per DC Point, assuming you elect the points? 4. What is the Maintenance Fee for this purchase? 4. What is the value to you of the MR points and/or Plus Points being offered? 5. Can you put it on a credit card (preferably one I mentioned) and pay it off in full without incurring finance charges? And Happy New Year to you as well.