• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Most Affordable Way to Get in to Vistana w/Ability to [exchange] Weeks

Hauslord

Reaction score
New here and loving these threads! So thanks! One question, follow up from prior post. I’m thinking of buying WKV for 1 week with 148k stariptions, so pay for only one week of MF. Prior post discuss accumulating multiple weeks to get to 148k staroptions. I’m never owned before so not familiar with availability of other resorts with star options but I would think even a higher up front cost for platinum 1 week with 148k staroptions is better than 2 weeks with two MFs to pay. Am I missing somethings?

Ken555

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
New here and loving these threads! So thanks! One question, follow up from prior post. I’m thinking of buying WKV for 1 week with 148k stariptions, so pay for only one week of MF. Prior post discuss accumulating multiple weeks to get to 148k staroptions. I’m never owned before so not familiar with availability of other resorts with star options but I would think even a higher up front cost for platinum 1 week with 148k staroptions is better than 2 weeks with two MFs to pay. Am I missing somethings?

If your intent is to use the 148k SOs as SOs every year and not the home resort then one MF is likely less then two. It all depends on how long you anticipate keeping the week. If it’s more than ~5 years, then WKV Plat Plus (148k) is probably a good option for you, as it was for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bizaro86

TUG Member
Reaction score
Only risk with WKV is that it seems the rental market is softening for Plat weeks. If that continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of weeks come on the market hurting resale prices.

Of course, if you're buying to use long term maybe that doesn't matter, but it's something to think about.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
Only risk with WKV is that it seems the rental market is softening for Plat weeks. If that continues, I wouldn't be surprised to see a lot of weeks come on the market hurting resale prices.

Of course, if you're buying to use long term maybe that doesn't matter, but it's something to think about.

That’s always a risk. I’m not sure how many actually rent their weeks, tho. I’ve owned since 2005 and had never rented my WKV.

vacationtime1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)

TUG is funny.

Two or three of us have posted that this years' rentals didn't work as well as previous years and that somehow translates into the market crashing.

I did rent one of my two Kierland units this year -- for 2.5x MF's. I consider that a success because I still have ten months to use the 81000 SO's remaining.

I will see a trend if the large scale renters of Kierland units drop their prices substantially in the next few weeks; that is a far better metric of where the market really is.

Ken555

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Kierland
Sheraton Desert Oasis
TUG is funny.

Two or three of us have posted that this years' rentals didn't work as well as previous years and that somehow translates into the market crashing.

I did rent one of my two Kierland units this year -- for 2.5x MF's. I consider that a success because I still have ten months to use the 81000 SO's remaining.

I will see a trend if the large scale renters of Kierland units drop their prices substantially in the next few weeks; that is a far better metric of where the market really is.

Quick. Buy another week for rental purposes since the market has turned around... ;-)

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
I think "crashing" is a little strong: "seems the rental market is softening"

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Interesting topic.
I can only speak to my experience and observations based on renting WKV Plat+ (2 weeks) since 2007 at about the same time in March - using the same method (RedWeek), and closely track rental market during this time period.

The WKV rental market has softened.
I have a personal limit as to the minimal I will rent. Lower than this price, and I will either use the SOs or use. This is what I am doing this year (using a week and SO exchange).
Now that our life situation has changed - plan is to use the SOs going forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
DnR - That’s a bold pronouncement if it’s based solely on your experience renting during a single year. You said you’re closely tracking the WKV rental market — can you share your observations?

Has the supply of sellers increased? Has the number of renters decreased? Did you correlate your rental week to the spring training attractions for each year so you can determine the impact on your rental outcomes? Have you had rental difficulties in the past and if so could you attribute it to any particular cause?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
Sorry - I was lying. Totally making up what I had already posted in this thread and over the Years.
jarta? Is that you?

Last edited:

okwiater

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV 2B Plat+ (x2)
WSJ 3B Plat+ (VGV/BV)
WLR 2B Plat+ Oceanside
SMV 2B Plat+
Sheraton Flex (x2)
Sorry - I was lying. Totally making up what I had already posted in this thread and over the Years.
jarta? Is that you?

I'm not aware of anybody accusing you of making anything up. You're an academic, right? I am just curious about your observations. What are they based on? Your own anecdotes or a larger analysis of the market?

DavidnRobin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV OFD (Maui)
WPORV (Kauai)
WSJ-VGV (St. John)
WKV (Scottsdale)
I have already stated my individual experience- I realize that it does not rise to statistical significance.
I have nothing to add.
I am not writing a White Paper on the topic.
I will not be renting next year as we will be using the SOs - as planned.
All is good.

Last edited:

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
So i am in Mexico at Lagunamar and it is wonderful. Did the talk. They are offering multiple resorts to purchase as your “home” resort. Cabo and Cancun. I want to buy more options but if I buy on the resale market I can not convert to points correct?

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
You can buy these resorts for pennies on the dollar on the resale market. The ability to convert to points is absolutely not worth paying thousands and thousands of dollars to the developer. Don't do it.

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Denise:) we said no If I buy on the resale market I can only go to the resort I buy correct? Sounds silly I know but we bought years ago resale in Vistana and we were able to buy into the program for very little money about 10 years ago. You are always a wealth of knowledge and I told people today about TUG before they do anything

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Yes - if you buy on the resale market in Mexico, you can only go to the resort where you own.

However, there are other Vistana resorts where you can buy resale and get Staroptions, and use them for all of the Vistana resorts, including Mexico. This is a much better idea than paying thousands of dollars to buy in Mexico.

9) What do Mandatory and Voluntary mean?

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only) - cheapest purchase price - often less than $1,000.
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas

Palmtreelady1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I will look for Vistana Villages than
Thanks again!!
Yes - if you buy on the resale market in Mexico, you can only go to the resort where you own.

However, there are other Vistana resorts where you can buy resale and get Staroptions, and use them for all of the Vistana resorts, including Mexico. This is a much better idea than paying thousands of dollars to buy in Mexico.

9) What do Mandatory and Voluntary mean?

a. If a resort is Staroption "Mandatory," it means that when the week is sold to a new owner (resale) the Staroption value of the week transfers to the new owner, and the new owner has the right to exchange his timeshare in the Starwood Vacation Network. These resorts are Staroption Mandatory:

* Harborside at Atlantis
* Vistana Villages (Bella and Key West phases only) - cheapest purchase price - often less than $1,000.
* Westin St. John (Virgin Grand - Hillside only)
* Westin Ka'anapali & Westin Ka'anapali-North
* Westin Kierland Villas
!

okz

TUG Member
Reaction score
And stay away from Mission Hills which isn’t mandatory.

I just picked up an odd year Bella 81,000 for $100. I like EOY because I can just forget about using it for a year and plan different vacations.
Hi Buzglyd, What is the maintenance on that EOY Bella? Thx.

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
Hi Buzglyd, What is the maintenance on that EOY Bella? Thx.

I believe it's about $700. You pay half each year. I picked up odd year 81,000 for $100.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
You can find maintenance fees for most resorts in the maintenance fee sticky at the top of the Vistana Forum main page.

nuwermj

TUG Member
Reaction score
I believe it's about $700. You pay half each year. I picked up odd year 81,000 for $100.

How does Vistana allocate the options: 40,500 every year or 81,000 every other year?

buzglyd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGV Lagoon Tower
HGV Carlsbad Seapointe
Gaslamp Plaza Suites
SVV Bella
How does Vistana allocate the options: 40,500 every year or 81,000 every other year?

I don’t know yet but I’m pretty sure it will be 81000 every odd year

dokken88

Reaction score
Hi David! Yes, obviously. But not that the same 148k weeks can be had for cheap... this poster actually stated:

Those 81k weeks aren't the same as the 148k weeks, as you well know. This unrealistic "baloney" comment about 148k weeks just doesn't make sense unless he uses it during its season. The implication is that this poster believes that all 2-beds are the same (hence "a reseller contat me and tried to convince me I had to pay between 15-20k for a 2BR") and I can only conclude he wants to go to WKV during the ownership season, at which point owning a 148k week doesn't matter.

If this is actually intended to be used for SOs, then it makes even less sense unless he's only planning to keep it for a few years.
Fumny..6 mos later I see this reply! I was only talking about no need to pay that much. Units can be had all over for cheap. My angle is only SOs and zero intention of going to my " home" resort. I went with the low MF and cheap buy in angle. I needed 132K to get myself 3 weeks at WSJ. 3 weeks will cost me about 2300 a year in MFs. Again just was telling OG poster that units can be cheaply had. Definately am not saavy enough yet to comment on other ownership angels! Btw was able to obtain 132K SOs for about 700$..Thats probably 650$ more than I needed to pay!
Enjoy those vacations!!

CPNY

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Harborside Resort at Atlantis
SVV - Key West/Bella
WKV
Regal Vista at Massanutten
A lot of great info here. I own at HRA and unfortunately purchased precon and paid a hefty price. I purchased in the summer months so my MF are ridiculous and I have a low amount of SO. I was lucky enough to pick up SVV key west 2 bedroom LO with 95,700 SO for $800 on eBay. So far it’s been used in one bedroom oceanfront in Maui and it’s already being occupied next year in Maui. I was thinking of picking up a 3bedroom LO with 139,700 SO with a MF of around 2,000. It’s either that or another 95,700. I’ve looked into WKV and just can not justify spending 15k for 148,100 SO at 1500 MF if I can get a bit less SO at SVV with a slightly higher MF. Thoughts?

I spoke to Vistana sales today and they explained their new Flex programs for both Sheraton and Westin. I was also told but without confirmation that new resorts are possible since they are selling flex. I was also unofficially told to expect a new program in 3Q-4Q with one combined program with MVC OWNERS. this scares me a bit because there will be an influx of people wanting to get into nicer properties we bought into. I’m not a fan of MVC resorts but they do have many more options in destinations. Westin having 5 properties in HI is too much imo but the again I’m an east coaster.

I was also told Vistana is exercising it’s ROFR a lot lately. I also heard speculation that MVC is also taking back weeks and those are the weeks that will be used in the new program I assume. All i know is, I’m just not sure if buying more SO is worth it. I have an offer out on another SVV unit in KW.