• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can Two Marriott VISA Accounts be Linked to One Rewards Number?

del2327

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree, I did point out "If you are transferring at the time of a redemption, there is no cap on the number you can transfer."

If I transfer 100,000 while redeeming, would my wife get credit for the 100,000 as far as her lifetime totals are concerned? In her other words, would her lifetime total of points increase by 100,000 since a transfer of Starworrd points does not increase her lifetime total of Marriott points and she still needs points to reach lifetime levels?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
If I transfer 100,000 while redeeming, would my wife get credit for the 100,000 as far as her lifetime totals are concerned? In her other words, would her lifetime total of points increase by 100,000 since a transfer of Starworrd points does not increase her lifetime total of Marriott points and she still needs points to reach lifetime levels?
Transferred MR points increases lifetime points for the recipient, and decreases lifetime points for the donor.

del2327

TUG Member
Reaction score
Transferred MR points increases lifetime points for the recipient, and decreases lifetime points for the donor.

Even though it would be more than 50,000 in one year?

Thank you!

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
With the Marriott Visa you receive a free night at a category 1-5 hotel every year. If you can use that night somewhere that is a good value. Marriott adjusts their ratings of hotels every year, which we have found knocked some hotels we have liked to a category 6 or higher. However, we are still finding ways to use the free night.

The other thing to consider in the long run is whether the SPG Amex card will exist once Marriott combines the MRP and SPG reward programs, supposedly later this year. Personally, I hope they keep both cards alive with the same benefits, but that may not happen.

Best regards.

Mike

The SPG Amex card will still exist because it is the rewards program that is merging and not the properties or the cards. When the contracts expire they could drop one and have the remaining one co-branded or they could move to a different issuer altogether. You never know with these things. I would have never though that Costco would drop Amex but it happened.

I am banking on the SPG points counting as Marriott lifetime once they merge the programs. If not I will just have to wait longer for lifetime Platinum but I am good with that.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The SPG Amex card will still exist because it is the rewards program that is merging and not the properties or the cards. When the contracts expire they could drop one and have the remaining one co-branded or they could move to a different issuer altogether. You never know with these things. I would have never though that Costco would drop Amex but it happened.

I am banking on the SPG points counting as Marriott lifetime once they merge the programs. If not I will just have to wait longer for lifetime Platinum but I am good with that.

I'm not sure what you mean by the properties and the cards won't merge and the card will be co-branded. I think there will just be one loyalty brand. I think ALL references to "Starwood" will disappear once the IT systems and loyalty programs merge, and the former Starwood brands (Westin, Sheraton, St Regis, etc) will just become additional brands under the Marriott umbrella (like Renaissance, Ritz-Carlton, Gaylord, etc). They'll come up with a single name for the loyalty program (Marriott Preferred Guest - MPG - maybe?) and all Marriott-owned brands (legacy Marriott plus legacy Starwood) will participate, so there will be no need to "co-brand" anything. Under this model, the resulting credit card(s) would just be the MPG Visa or MPG Amex and they would function identically at all of the brands. There would be no more StarPoints and Rewards Points. Both sets of points would be converted on some basis into a new "currency" (Preferred Rewards Points -??) that would be earned and redeemed the same across all properties. It's anyone's guess how they'll handle something like lifetime status, since if they allow both pools of points to count, the number of people in each tier will rise substantially and they may have to change the requirements or be content with a higher percentage lifetime Elite members across the board.

Thinking of it visually, I've posted the current brand banner from the bottom of Marriott.com below. Under a new consolidated program, I would expect the banner to change by eliminating the "The Ritz Carlton Rewards", "Marriott Rewards", and "SPG" logos on the left side, replacing them with the one logo for the new program (i.e. - MPG). The dividing line that they now have above the third row of logos would be eliminated as well, with the legacy Starwood brands being intermingled with the legacy Marriott brands. The lists seem to be roughly in order from high to low in market positioning, so St. Regis and Ritz would likely be listed next to each other in sequence, W would likely be in sequence somewhere around JW Marriott, Four Points would be down somewhere around Courtyard and Fairfield, and so forth.

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 5.11.47 PM.png

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by the properties and the cards won't merge and the card will be co-branded. I think there will just be one loyalty brand. I think ALL references to "Starwood" will disappear once the IT systems and loyalty programs merge, and the former Starwood brands (Westin, Sheraton, St Regis, etc) will just become additional brands under the Marriott umbrella (like Renaissance, Ritz-Carlton, Gaylord, etc). They'll come up with a single name for the loyalty program (Marriott Preferred Guest - MPG - maybe?) and all Marriott-owned brands (legacy Marriott plus legacy Starwood) will participate, so there will be no need to "co-brand" anything. Under this model, the resulting credit card(s) would just be the MPG Visa or MPG Amex and they would function identically at all of the brands. There would be no more StarPoints and Rewards Points. Both sets of points would be converted on some basis into a new "currency" (Preferred Rewards Points -??) that would be earned and redeemed the same across all properties. It's anyone's guess how they'll handle something like lifetime status, since if they allow both pools of points to count, the number of people in each tier will rise substantially and they may have to change the requirements or be content with a higher percentage lifetime Elite members across the board.

Thinking of it visually, I've posted the current brand banner from the bottom of Marriott.com below. Under a new consolidated program, I would expect the banner to change by eliminating the "The Ritz Carlton Rewards", "Marriott Rewards", and "SPG" logos on the left side, replacing them with the one logo for the new program (i.e. - MPG). The dividing line that they now have above the third row of logos would be eliminated as well, with the legacy Starwood brands being intermingled with the legacy Marriott brands. The lists seem to be roughly in order from high to low in market positioning, so St. Regis and Ritz would likely be listed next to each other in sequence, W would likely be in sequence somewhere around JW Marriott, Four Points would be down somewhere around Courtyard and Fairfield, and so forth.

View attachment 5771

Great analysis. :thumbup: I would agree.