• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2012 ] Fairmont / Sunchaser / Northwynd official thread with lawsuit info!

Spark1

Reaction score
If the true blame is the Trustee of the Resort then why didn't Geldert pick up on that? Why didn't he use the Fair Trade Act or Consumer Protection Act as an arguement. Northmount say how inexperienced Geldert was and used that to there advantage. Geldert should not have taken on this case period.
You are right but there was no need for any Lawyer,all Northwynd had to do is respect our Contracts that were signed and witnessed. I am from the old school and I do not allow any one to mess with our Contract that my spouse and I signed and had witnessed. We could not do that against them. Justice should not be one sided in a court room. The reason this Trustee did what he did was this was not allowed according to our Contracts. Why have a contract if the bullies on the other side do not respect the contracts? You seen how they did the phoney Modification to the Contracts . The Alberta Government knew what they did in April/2016 and in Dec17 Bill 31 was passed. If you do not notify the other party there is no contract. If that was a modification they were to notify you and go over the modification. And any Modification can not Materially prejudice existing Lessees and we know it does. I was after MG many times to use the Fair Trading ACT and sent him a very similar case that was done in Calgary Alberta. He said to me he would use that case. I have a email that I sent him in DEC2017 explaining the FTA just before he became a bill collector . The B.C. Law Society will have to figure that one out. Every one should differently write them about your concerns.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Northwynd/Northmont/Sunchaser
I hear you and we are banging our heads as well. The injustice of this situation is hard to bear.Our financial circumstance will never recover. Somehow our initial $20,800.00 that we paid in 1997 is completely overlooked. With all the years we had left to use ,we far from got our money’s worth. The stress from it, all just terrible, terrible.

Spark1

Reaction score
I hear you and we are banging our heads as well. The injustice of this situation is hard to bear.Our financial circumstance will never recover. Somehow our initial $20,800.00 that we paid in 1997 is completely overlooked. With all the years we had left to use ,we far from got our money’s worth. The stress from it, all just terrible, terrible.
‘‘Tis has caused several health issues with time owners. I had the shingles shot and still ended up with Shingles. These Northwynd people are nor human. This young couple was given two weeks of timeshare from their older neighbors and paid around $700 to do the paper work. They used it for 5 days in Vegas in around 2010. Their bill done by MG was over $37000.00. They were a young couple just starting out. White Collar Crime.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser, Sheraton Desert Oasis
I am part of the Geldert Litigation Group. Having said that, I am obviously not objective in evaluating Mr. Geldert's performance in this litigation. He lost the litigation and he cost me tens of thousands of dollars. I had one early-on strained telephone conversation with Mr. Geldert. He was evasive in responding to a couple of simple questions. Even then I didn't yet recognize that he was incapable of successfully litigating this dispute. I should have simply read his webpage.

"... an international full-service law firm operating from its head office ..." If that is what it said (I am only going by what has been reported here in multiple posts), that single sentence fragment tells you all that you need to know. To me, it demonstrates a potentially precarious coloring of the truth and a willingness to embellish. Most people wouldn't think of trying to get away with such an embellishment. Take that to a courtroom and you'll lose; which, he did and you, me and everyone who has a lease or operates a timeshare in Canada lost.

Spark1 is correct, Phillip K. Matkin is in an 'interesting' position.

qb_bc

TUG Member
Reaction score
A question to those that have filed complaints with the Law Society. Have you / should you also include the other two firms that were involved in the matter arguing on your behalf? Perhaps @ecwinch might provide guidance.

My experience with E&O insurance is in another profession, but my thinking is;
- there was a lead firm that acted as the project manager for the case.
- the other two firms did the arguing in the court cases
- it is not known whether the lead firm developed the strategy in its entirety, and prepared the arguments to be used?
- is it possible the other firms developed the strategy recommendations and did the research so they could argue in court, made recommendations to the lead firm that were followed.

This does not absolve the lead firm from responsibility, but if the other firms were involved in developing strategy, research, court preparation and arguing, they also have responsibility for the outcome. If/when negligence, etc. is determined the work of all participants that professionally have E&O insurance should be included. Possibly including them will help avoid them passing the buck with respect to the dreadful outcome.

Good luck.

aden2

Reaction score
December 8, 2017 2018 MAINTENANCE FEE COMMUNICATION
Dear Sunchaser Vacation Villas Owner: MAINTENANCE FEE UPDATE 2017 update:
2017 continued the “status quo” environment due to the court processes delaying resolution with the delinquent Owners. Managing the Resort continues to be a significant challenge as a result of the effect of delinquency.
2018 budget:
The 2018 effects are similar to 2017. Inflation and wage pressure continue to remain low which benefits operating costs. However, utility costs continue to increase substantially. In addition, the effects of delinquency continue to weigh on individual Owner costs.
As we have now successfully defeated the delinquent group in court (see below or you can review the judgments on the Resorts website) a further four times in 2017, including three times since the beginning of September, we are hopeful that the drag on operations caused by their delinquency will be reduced in 2018 either through a group settlement, or the enforcement of individual judgments. However, as there is no guarantee what the results are over the coming months, the budget presumes the delinquent owner group remains delinquent in 2018.
The gross (after tax) maintenance fee increase on an individual basis for 2018 is 5.14%. Specific items are noted below.
Operating wages: Current cost of living rates for British Columbia are approximately 2.0%. However, in Alberta the rate is 1.3%. We have reflected both in our wage planning.
Utilities: With the rise in oil prices, propane (which is used to heat the buildings) prices have risen substantially. Our 2018 fixed price rate is 29% over 2017. Propane prices will continue to be volatile and risk a significant increase in future years if the price of oil rises significantly.
Legal costs: As a result of the Resorts success in the January BC Court of Appeal decision, the Resort reached settlement with a small percentage of the delinquent Owners to offset some of the legal costs incurred on your behalf. As a result and in consideration of the additional favorable court rulings of the past few months, we are not charging additional legal costs in 2018. As with previous years, we will need to revisit the issue next year based on the status of legal proceedings and legal cost recoveries during the year.
Off-site costs: Off-site costs continue to be impacted by the costs of addressing the ongoing delinquency. Costs have also been impacted by a reduction in Resort costs previously absorbed by Northwynd.
Payment methods for 2017 maintenance fees: *** Credit Card Payments are not available at this time*** In November our credit card processor cancelled our services.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
December 8, 2017 2018 MAINTENANCE FEE COMMUNICATION
Dear Sunchaser Vacation Villas Owner: MAINTENANCE FEE UPDATE 2017 update:
2017 continued the “status quo” environment due to the court processes delaying resolution with the delinquent Owners. Managing the Resort continues to be a significant challenge as a result of the effect of delinquency.
2018 budget:
The 2018 effects are similar to 2017. Inflation and wage pressure continue to remain low which benefits operating costs. However, utility costs continue to increase substantially. In addition, the effects of delinquency continue to weigh on individual Owner costs.
As we have now successfully defeated the delinquent group in court (see below or you can review the judgments on the Resorts website) a further four times in 2017, including three times since the beginning of September, we are hopeful that the drag on operations caused by their delinquency will be reduced in 2018 either through a group settlement, or the enforcement of individual judgments. However, as there is no guarantee what the results are over the coming months, the budget presumes the delinquent owner group remains delinquent in 2018.
The gross (after tax) maintenance fee increase on an individual basis for 2018 is 5.14%. Specific items are noted below.
Operating wages: Current cost of living rates for British Columbia are approximately 2.0%. However, in Alberta the rate is 1.3%. We have reflected both in our wage planning.
Utilities: With the rise in oil prices, propane (which is used to heat the buildings) prices have risen substantially. Our 2018 fixed price rate is 29% over 2017. Propane prices will continue to be volatile and risk a significant increase in future years if the price of oil rises significantly.
Legal costs: As a result of the Resorts success in the January BC Court of Appeal decision, the Resort reached settlement with a small percentage of the delinquent Owners to offset some of the legal costs incurred on your behalf. As a result and in consideration of the additional favorable court rulings of the past few months, we are not charging additional legal costs in 2018. As with previous years, we will need to revisit the issue next year based on the status of legal proceedings and legal cost recoveries during the year.
Off-site costs: Off-site costs continue to be impacted by the costs of addressing the ongoing delinquency. Costs have also been impacted by a reduction in Resort costs previously absorbed by Northwynd.
Payment methods for 2017 maintenance fees: *** Credit Card Payments are not available at this time*** In November our credit card processor cancelled our services.
REALLY!!?? "In November our credit card processor cancelled our services." THIS IS BIG! Wonder how far your credit rating has to sink before THAT happens?? Guess the funnelling of $$$$ into those offshore accounts is picking up speed!

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
MG is on record as being called to the bar in BC in 2006. He appears to have graduated high school in 1993, so he is a tad more than 32 years of age. I will need to do more research re: litigation experience.
From what I can find...well, let's just say immigration and refugee appeals haven't worked out so well either. It's public record...if you look at CanLII under BC, you will find our sad appeal history also.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/#search/jId=ca&text=michael geldert&origJId=ca
So we collectively made a whopper of a mistake...now, where do we find an excellent lawyer?!

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmount
Just a summary where we are today:
  • So all Michael Geldert clients whether Option 1, 2, or elsewhere have been abused and misrepresented equally.
  • Northmont is capitalizing fully of their legal advantage as sanctioned by the Courts to monetize on Michael Geldert’s poor representation and abandonment of his clients and who, from all appearances, is also Michael Geldert’s puppet master or bill collector if you prefer (I keep envisioning Michael Geldert with Kirk Wankel’s hand up his butt making Michael’s lips and arms move).
  • Federally, that government only wants to pay out terrorists, have photo ops with criminals and lairs, and appears to only want to support Aboriginals but actually do little more than lip service for them either.
  • Provincially, the Alberta Minister of Justice and Alberta Service Minister are hiding behind this being an on-going legal matter to escape all accountability while saying they already did an investigation after the Fairmont bankruptcy which is prior to the real controversy being the Northmont's Freedom to Choose.
  • Judicially, Judge Young’s is portraying that her hands are tied while hiding behind her bench even though she is aware key elements of our case presented by Michael Geldert, Vincent Tong, and Barry King was prepared by a disbarred lawyer through Strathcona Law Group and she is relying on all the BC decisions to be able to copy and complete her own decisions in an effort to use resources efficiently (why did we bother with an Alberta trial if she intends to just use the BC decisions to complete her own summaries?).
  • New lawyers, are being paid to provide objective legal advice that we have been screwed by Michael Geldert and have affirmed such a destructive job has been done in this case that there is little chance for a successful appeal based on the information we can provide. Unfortunately we cannot provide the entire picture as Michael Geldert appears to be strategically holding back paid for documents for the appeal or to allow people to create their own costs and interest arguments probably as an opportunity to further capitalize on selling them to his clients (most people have more common sense and don't want to surprise the judge like Michael Geldert likes to do as part of his trial maneuvers with last minute submissions at the start of a proceeding).
I think we have a lot to say but the time for being polite is long over and it’s time to send a message we are not ready to roll over and die yet!!!!!!

Suggestion on where I think we can go in the short term:
  • Do a direct in-person follow-up at the Court of Queen’s Bench hearing of all the ignored letters we sent to Judge Young to show we aren't going away.
  • We can make sure our crappy lawyers, the Northmont lawyers, the politicians, and the Judge are introduced to some invited media.
  • Time to play our Elder Abuse card possibly through some civil disobedience to show the only thing that has been decided legally and politically is corporate greed exists to extort us of our heath, savings, and beliefs Canada is a fair place for its citizens.
  • How bad would the evening news headlines look for Judge Young and politicians to have Raging Grandparents thrown into jail or punitively penalized further for contempt after allowing them to already be legally victimized by smart white collar crime and an incompetent lawyer.
  • Our wise parents used to tell us to "Be seen and not heard" - guess what, now our wisdom has grown and affords us to be "Seen and Heard" as we have learnt it is our right and responsibility to challenge something that is unjust!!!

Anyone interested in making lots of noise inside and outside of the courtroom to tell their story. All we have asked for is fairness and help to which we have only have received Judicial, Provincial, and Federal abandonment!!!

Might also be fun to use the Wankal picture from post 4357 for petition posters and re-caption different messages if someone has the original – I bet a 100 of these would be a pretty flattering national news image.

Attachments

• Wenkel.jpeg
    Wenkel.jpeg
    92.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Appeal date (2).pdf
    40.1 KB · Views: 46

Petus@18

Reaction score
  • So all Michael Geldert clients whether Option 1, 2, or elsewhere have been abused and misrepresented equally.
  • Northmont is capitalizing fully of their legal advantage as sanctioned by the Courts to monetize on Michael Geldert’s poor representation and abandonment of his clients and who, from all appearances, is also Michael Geldert’s puppet master or bill collector if you prefer (I keep envisioning Michael Geldert with Kirk Wankel’s hand up his butt making Michael’s lips and arms move).
  • Federally, that government only wants to pay out terrorists, have photo ops with criminals and lairs, and appears to only want to support Aboriginals but actually do little more than lip service for them either.
  • Provincially, the Alberta Minister of Justice and Alberta Service Minister are hiding behind this being an on-going legal matter to escape all accountability while saying they already did an investigation after the Fairmont bankruptcy which is prior to the real controversy being the Northmont's Freedom to Choose.
  • Judicially, Judge Young’s is portraying that her hands are tied while hiding behind her bench even though she is aware key elements of our case presented by Michael Geldert, Vincent Tong, and Barry King was prepared by a disbarred lawyer through Strathcona Law Group and she is relying on all the BC decisions to be able to copy and complete her own decisions in an effort to use resources efficiently (why did we bother with an Alberta trial if she intends to just use the BC decisions to complete her own summaries?).
  • New lawyers, are being paid to provide objective legal advice that we have been screwed by Michael Geldert and have affirmed such a destructive job has been done in this case that there is little chance for a successful appeal based on the information we can provide. Unfortunately we cannot provide the entire picture as Michael Geldert appears to be strategically holding back paid for documents for the appeal or to allow people to create their own costs and interest arguments probably as an opportunity to further capitalize on selling them to his clients (most people have more common sense and don't want to surprise the judge like Michael Geldert likes to do as part of his trial maneuvers with last minute submissions at the start of a proceeding).
I think we have a lot to say but the time for being polite is long over and it’s time to send a message we are not ready to roll over and die yet!!!!!!

• Do a direct in-person follow-up at the Court of Queen’s Bench hearing of all the ignored letters we sent to Judge Young to show we aren't going away.
  • We can make sure our crappy lawyers, the Northmont lawyers, the politicians, and the Judge are introduced to some invited media.
  • Time to play our Elder Abuse card possibly through some civil disobedience to show the only thing that has been decided legally and politically is corporate greed exists to extort us of our heath, savings, and beliefs Canada is a fair place for its citizens.
  • How bad would the evening news headlines look for Judge Young and politicians to have Raging Grandparents thrown into jail or punitively penalized further for contempt after allowing them to already be legally victimized by smart white collar crime and an incompetent lawyer.
  • Our wise parents used to tell us to "Be seen and not heard" - guess what, now our wisdom has grown and affords us to be "Seen and Heard" as we have learnt it is our right and responsibility to challenge something that is unjust!!!

Anyone interested in making lots of noise inside and outside of the courtroom to tell their story. All we have asked for is fairness and help to which we have only have received Judicial, Provincial, and Federal abandonment!!!

Might also be fun to use the Wankal picture from post 4357 for petition posters and re-caption different messages if someone has the original – I bet a 100 of these would be a pretty flattering national news image.

We have to attend the appeal, would be happy to carry some posters.

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
Funny...if some jerk snatches an elderly person's wallet or steals her wheelchair, the media and kind citizenry would be up in arms and demanding to put the thief's head on a platter. Well, that is what has happened to many of us. We have been abused for years and then divested of our life savings.
I am disgusted with our laws. I am sick of the apathy and the "not my problem" responses we have received.
While the Taj Mahal is shut down for the PM and his fam to get the ultimate photo ops, I am looking through job sites to see if anyone will hire this poor old baby seal:oops:. Beat me some more crappy laws and courts!!!
Sorry...just needed to vent.
Continue fighting people!

Last edited:

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
‘‘Tis has caused several health issues with time owners. I had the shingles shot and still ended up with Shingles. These Northwynd people are nor human. This young couple was given two weeks of timeshare from their older neighbors and paid around $700 to do the paper work. They used it for 5 days in Vegas in around 2010. Their bill done by MG was over $37000.00. They were a young couple just starting out. White Collar Crime.
Spark, I am truly sorry for your health problems. This has caused illness, both physical and mental for many young and old.
It is a travesty of justice all around.

Petus@18

Reaction score
From what I can find...well, let's just say immigration and refugee appeals haven't worked out so well either. It's public record...if you look at CanLII under BC, you will find our sad appeal history also.
https://www.canlii.org/en/ca/#search/jId=ca&text=michael geldert&origJId=ca
So we collectively made a whopper of a mistake...now, where do we find an excellent lawyer?!

I wonder if he hired someone to pass his Bar exam? We all know that Geldert hired different lawyers to screw our case. I don't think he did anything other than contracting others, did he ever appear once in court? I don't think so! It is unclear if he also hired Wotherspoon to negotiate the settlement on his own? What about the expenses he incurred and the work done was never used (ie Class Action investigation by Higgerty Law, who they are not accepting Geldert's clients to join the action) The only thing our lawyer did was to bill us for the time he spent subcontracting other morons!! :mad:

Appauled

Reaction score

One valid comment that comes up from time to time is there are a great number of retired folks and seniors on fixed incomes that are part of this group that are commenting ELDER ABUSE should be thrown out there as an argument in this Timeshare RIPPOFF. I have great respect and empathy for not just our elder victims, but for all of us in this. We need to unify as one voice for all of us, and work on a strategy that helps us ALL, not just certain demographics of us.
I don't consider myself any different than anyone else in this mess. I am a single parent trying to raise two children and on a fixed income and can barely make ends meet as it is. All while also blindly sending off money to MG to work in our best interest, only to be thrown under the bus to pay Sunchaser/Northmont insane crooked fees and interest with money and assets I don't have. I live paycheck to paycheck and have not slept properly, I have been barely able to function at work, while trying to keep a brave face in front of my co-workers and my unsuspecting children, as I am now scared to death of having those paychecks being garnished by these CROOKS!!!!!
EVERYONE involved in this has their own story, respectfully, not just elders.
Again I re-iterate we need to unify as one voice for all of us, and work on a strategy that helps us ALL.

Last edited:

LilMaggie

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own Nothing!
I wonder if he hired someone to pass his Bar exam? We all know that Geldert hired different lawyers to screw our case. I don't think he did anything other than contracting others, did he ever appear once in court? I don't think so! It is unclear if he also hired Wotherspoon to negotiate the settlement on his own? What about the expenses he incurred and the work done was never used (ie Class Action investigation by Higgerty Law, who they are not accepting Geldert's clients to join the action) The only thing our lawyer did was to bill us for the time he spent subcontracting other morons!! :mad:
:clap:

Petus@18

Reaction score
Does anyone know exactly what were the unilateral changes to our contracts and where to find them?

Also, does anyone have or know where to find Jeke's original timeshare contract?

Who is Mr Alexander that was part of the super conference?

Last edited:

torqued

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sunchaser
If a unilateral change in our contracts was made then why isn’t NW OBLIGATED to send us all the amended contract. Without it can we not argue we are unable to defend ourselves in court as we have no idea what it reads. How can we be liable for any judgement if we don’t have a contract in hand???

dotbuhler

Reaction score
One valid comment that comes up from time to time is there are a great number of retired folks and seniors on fixed incomes that are part of this group that are commenting ELDER ABUSE should be thrown out there as an argument in this Timeshare RIPPOFF. I have great respect and empathy for not just our elder victims, but for all of us in this. We need to unify as one voice for all of us, and work on a strategy that helps us ALL, not just certain demographics of us.
I don't consider myself any different than anyone else in this mess. I am a single parent trying to raise two children and on a fixed income and can barely make ends meet as it is. All while also blindly sending off money to MG to work in our best interest, only to be thrown under the bus to pay Sunchaser/Northmont insane crooked fees and interest with money and assets I don't have. I live paycheck to paycheck and have not slept properly, I have been barely able to function at work, while trying to keep a brave face in front of my co-workers and my unsuspecting children, as I am now scared to death of having those paychecks being garnished by these CROOKS!!!!!
EVERYONE involved in this has their own story, respectfully, not just elders.
Again I re-iterate we need to unify as one voice for all of us, and work on a strategy that helps us ALL.
Unfortunately "elder abuse" is recognized as a specific crime under the laws of Canada. And yes, there are many stories of hardship across all demographics. But being able to add a further criminal activity to those like fraud and unfair trade practices to strengthen our case does not in any way make your situation diminished. I wish there was a category of crime that applied to people like yourself also facing this huge battle, but we have to go with what we can use that is recognized by the laws of Canada. Please don't think that we are not in complete empathy with you.

dotbuhler

Reaction score
If a unilateral change in our contracts was made then why isn’t NW OBLIGATED to send us all the amended contract. Without it can we not argue we are unable to defend ourselves in court as we have no idea what it reads. How can we be liable for any judgement if we don’t have a contract in hand???
Not only are they obligated, but under the Unfair Practices and Other Offenses of the Time Share and Points-Based Contract Regs is required to notify us AND GET OUR CONSENT IN WRITING ...

Petus@18

Reaction score

The reference of unilateral changes in our leases is mentioned on the Reid's case. You're right what were those changes? Geldert is in his island right now too busy counting the money he just 'earned as a bill collector' He has this information, did he ever share it with anyone?

CleoB

Reaction score
The reference of unilateral changes in our leases is mentioned on the Reid's case. You're right what were those changes? Geldert is in his island right now too busy counting the money he just 'earned as a bill collector' He has this information, did he ever share it with anyone?
Has he ever shared any information with his clients? I found most of mine on the Sunchaser website.

NoMas

TUG Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from the Geldster tonight saying he hadn't gotten my signed papers,
( the option 1 stuff) and that now there is another NEW Deadline, you guessed it, it is TOMORROW! According to the registered mail tracking, he received it on the morning of the 16th..... It looked like a shotgunned mailing out to everyone, just wondering if anyone else got one of these. I told him he better look again, and I said it nicely!

greyskies

Reaction score
I just got an email from the Geldster tonight saying he hadn't gotten my signed papers,
( the option 1 stuff) and that now there is another NEW Deadline, you guessed it, it is TOMORROW! According to the registered mail tracking, he received it on the morning of the 16th..... It looked like a shotgunned mailing out to everyone, just wondering if anyone else got one of these. I told him he better look again, and I said it nicely!
It was one day beyond his deadline, and they wasn't good enough for him?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Timesharepain

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fairmont
Grand Okanagan
We did but h ad to paid