• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Can someone please explain how short stays work [2017 Thread]

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Understood, Glad you have gotten 15 years of great use out of WM. I have had 3 and love it. Just hope WYN doesn't ruin it or change policies to make the few unhappy people who are mad about people renting. I have never rented, but cringe every time they beg for change to curb the so called mega renters. Each time the board changes stuff they also take flexibility from everyday owners who just use their accounts for personal use. This current flexibility is what makes WM so great in the first place.

I agree that it is unfortunate that the BoD is executing the Wyndham playbook to curb megarenters. However a recent poll on the FB group indicated that most members (~92%) think it is a real problem, so I would not characterize it as just a few unhappy people.

Now before the pundits jump in and challenge the validity of the information, while I would agree that the poll was not scientific and likely has a large margin of error. But not to extent to invalidate how lopsided the results are.

breezez

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WorldMark 39K
Wyndham 406K
RCI Points 196K
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Hyatt Coconut Plantation
I agree that it is unfortunate that the BoD is executing the Wyndham playbook to curb megarenters. However a recent poll on the FB group indicated that most members (~92%) think it is a real problem, so I would not characterize it as just a few unhappy people.

Now before the pundits jump in and challenge the validity of the information, while I would agree that the poll was not scientific and likely has a large margin of error. But not to extent to invalidate how lopsided the results are.
I agree. If you are not you should become a Member of www.wmowners.com and its Forum. It is free. There has been a lot of discussion about the Megarenters and what if anything should be done. The opinion is about evenly divided. I am on the side of do nothing at least for a couple years while we see how last year's changes shake out.

I am on there, but must say the viewership on the site seems to have plummeted lately with a lot of negativity between users.

My take on renting is yah it sucks if some guy has 5 accounts and 5 people standing by on each account with multiple browsers logged in to to grab coveted time in a resort in larger units so they can rent them. But as an owner that doesn't rent truth is I have same opportunity to do same thing. I can't be mad because they use there account better than I. We all pay maintenance fees and all have same oppounity to book at same credit amount as anyone else nobody gets a credit discount unlike Wyndham.

Most people pissed about renting seem to find it okay to rent or give their units to friends and family, to me it's no different than a renter renting to strangers. To the renter at the time they get paid I'm sure their client they see as their friend.

But all the desires to change program to deal with mega renters only takes flexibility away from everyday users and will begin to make WM more like WYN in the end. This would be a real shame in my opinion.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Yes, the decline over at Wmowners is appalling. On FB over 600+ members responded to the poll, while on WMO less than 40 responded.

It's clear that a lot of regulars on WMO have moved on. Perhaps it is a natural cycle given the political emphasis the site had for so many years. I noticed that even Myle Hammond - their candidate last year - has a far more moderate tone in his campaign statement.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the decline over at Wmowners is appalling. On FB over 600+ members responded to the poll, while on WMO less than 40 responded.

It's clear that a lot of regulars on WMO have moved on. Perhaps it is a natural cycle given the political emphasis the site had for so many years. I noticed that even Myle Hammond - their candidate last year - has a far more moderate tone in his campaign statement.

I have only gone to wmowners once or twice but I have never picked up the tone that alot of long time WM owners refer to. I still do not know what tone / political emphasis that you are referring to. Come time for me to unload my WM when I no longer have use for it, I will go back to wmowners to advertise. It will be several years away. Worst case, for simplicity I can always turn to Ovation and hand money back to Worldmark (Wyndham).

Last edited:

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I have only gone to wmowners once or twice but I have never picked up the tone that alot of long time WM owners refer to. I still do not know what tone / political emphasis that you are referring to. Come time for me to unload my WM when I no longer have use for it, I will go back to wmowners to advertise. It will be several years away. Worst case, for simplicity I can always turn to Ovation and hand money back to Worlmark (Wyndham).

I was mainly referring to the 2008-2013 timeframe. I think a lot of wind came out of the sails after the class-action lawsuit was settled.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are about 10,489 Facebook Members. 600 hundred people on Facebook responded to a Poll. This is about .0572% There are about 229,000 Worldmark Members. So the 600 on Facebook is about .00262% of the Membership. This should not be a basis for making any kind of decision. 1% or less of the WM membership appears to be actively involved in Facebook and/or WMOWNERS. Not really a large enough group to base any decision.

Last edited:

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never seen any shortstays that are desirable when I looked at it a couple of years ago. Over supply and in shoulder seasons. Has it changed?

I did some quick searches using WM with a platinum II account. In general, the short stay searches seemed to pick up all the available resorts (same as weeks) in a particular city. It is true that some time periods are blocked out (will not allow searches at Hilton Head during the summer or ski weeks during the winter). That said, some decent weeks are searchable. For example, you can select a short stay at an Orlando Marriott during Christmas week.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did some quick searches using WM with a platinum II account. In general, the short stay searches seemed to pick up all the available resorts (same as weeks) in a particular city. It is true that some time periods are blocked out (will not allow searches at Hilton Head during the summer or ski weeks during the winter). That said, some decent weeks are searchable. For example, you can select a short stay at an Orlando Marriott during Christmas week.
How far out can you search? If Hawaii is available, will it also pick up Hawaii with short stay searches? In the past, all I saw were places like Orlando and Las Vegas, but not high demand areas.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
How far out can you search? If Hawaii is available, will it also pick up Hawaii with short stay searches? In the past, all I saw were places like Orlando and Las Vegas, but not high demand areas.

Only shortstays for this coming weekend or a few days in a couple weeks is available in Hawaii. Specifically: Cliffs Club, SVC@Paniolo Greens, and Lifetime in Hawaii.

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Need help understanding how short stays work with WorldMark if I upgrade to a platinum account. Also what are the fees
Unless I'm missing something I could find nothing in my owner portal explaining this.

Thanks for posting this question. Your post made me realize that I have not taken advantage of short stay exchanges in II for a short vacation that I was interested in taking. I booked several days in Park City. Exchange cost was $149 (in addition to the WM credits). I also had to renew my platinum membership for another year at $139. So total cost was $288.

Last edited:

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Thanks for posting this question. Your post made me realize that I have not taken advantage of short stay exchanges in II for a short vacation that I was interested in taking. I booked several days in Park City. Exchange cost was $149 (in addition to the WM credits). I also had to renew my platinum membership for another year at $139. So total cost was $288.
Did they pull an hkt?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Let us know please. No clear answer on that so far. Wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth of course....

Oscar923

TUG Member
Reaction score
Let us know please. No clear answer on that so far. Wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth of course....

Any update on the HKT situation?
In other words, when you book a shortstay through II using Worldmark float credits, does it also cost a housekeeping token?

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@Marathoner, I'm looking into ShortStay for WM in II and am also wondering if a HSK was taken from you when you booked that Park City stay a few years ago. Also, wondering if they took the full week's worth of points and then refunded you or if they only took the stated # of points you were expecting? I hope you reply! :) Otherwise I guess I'll start a new post and ask since this is an older post and maybe folks have forgotten about it. @taterhed & @breezez, @geist1223 , if any of you have some info please help a sister out!

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Marathoner, I'm looking into ShortStay for WM in II and am also wondering if a HSK was taken from you when you booked that Park City stay a few years ago. Also, wondering if they took the full week's worth of points and then refunded you or if they only took the stated # of points you were expecting? I hope you reply! :) Otherwise I guess I'll start a new post and ask since this is an older post and maybe folks have forgotten about it. @taterhed & @breezez, @geist1223 , if any of you have some info please help a sister out!
Yes, II took a HK token and took only the exact amount of points required for the short stay.

I think short stay is a good option available to us if you can find the short stay resort that you like on the dates that you require. The main issue seems that a retrade is not possible - it's not clear to me that you can retrade to a different short stay when you are booked into a short stay.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
@Marathoner Any chance you could explain what a retrade is...? :) I'm still a relative newbie to WM (and just became a Platinum II member to please the hubs and be able to trade into Marriotts...)

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
@Marathoner Any chance you could explain what a retrade is...? :) I'm still a relative newbie to WM (and just became a Platinum II member to please the hubs and be able to trade into Marriotts...)
Being a platinum member does not help you to book into Marriott's. The main advantage of platinum membership is that you have free guest certificates, you can book short stays, and it is slightly cheaper to book getaways or exchange into villas with a greater number of bedrooms. As WM is a points based system, this last discount of trading into an exchange with a larger number of bedrooms does not apply to us.

The best way to get an exchange into a Marriott is to own a Marriott since they have a 3 week preference period before other owners can see their availability.

Re-trade means being able to do another exchange in case you changed your mind about the first exchange that you traded into.

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
Thanks @Marathoner ! I should've clarified that I joined II to get Marriotts, the platinum I added just to see what all the fuzz is about and to be able to let my sis use my getaways via free guest certificates :)

I can't claim that I understand the Marriott system very well, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Their MFs are way higher than my HGVC and my WM and their cost to buy into the points program after junk fees is outrageous! I guess one could consider the weeks program, but I'm frankly a bit scared of deeded week timeshares vs my points ones (this is probably just lack of knowledge).

But going back, while we are talking about WM & II, any special tips for me you might have? :) I just noticed I can book a Marriott via shortstay II in the summer (4 nights) and invite some fam over for less than 5000 pts (and $169 fee...) not bad!

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
We have not used II in years so no help. Also we only very rarely use RCI. Having both WM (with access to Worldmark now Wyndham South Pacific) and DRI we have access to Resorts almost everywhere we want to travel. In 8 days we are leaving on a 3 week trip to Australia (2 weeks in Hobart Tasmania and 1 week in Melbourne).

Hobokie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Elara (HGVC) + Worldmark
We have not used II in years so no help. Also we only very rarely use RCI. Having both WM (with access to Worldmark now Wyndham South Pacific) and DRI we have access to Resorts almost everywhere we want to travel. In 8 days we are leaving on a 3 week trip to Australia (2 weeks in Hobart Tasmania and 1 week in Melbourne).
PLEASE SHARE PICS & TIPS!!!! Australia is on our list!!!!

@geist, how do you feel about DRI? Curious how this balances your WM?

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
PLEASE SHARE PICS & TIPS!!!! Australia is on our list!!!!

@geist, how do you feel about DRI? Curious how this balances your WM?

Additional resorts in Mexico, New Zealand, Australia, and Hawaii. Plus Europe and Asia.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I guess one could consider the weeks program, but I'm frankly a bit scared of deeded week timeshares vs my points ones (this is probably just lack of knowledge).

Hobokie.... there was a time that comment would have been made in the exact opposite direction i.e. "I'm frankly a bit scared of points ones - I mean what do you own?". It is funny how attitudes change over time.

Because I can remember looking at the WM system too long ago to mention, and not being able to figure out how it worked. It had resorts in all the places I wanted to travel, but I could not wrap my head around only owning "points".

Marathoner

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I can't claim that I understand the Marriott system very well, but it just doesn't seem worth it to me. Their MFs are way higher than my HGVC and my WM and their cost to buy into the points program after junk fees is outrageous! I guess one could consider the weeks program, but I'm frankly a bit scared of deeded week timeshares vs my points ones (this is probably just lack of knowledge).

I believe that my best timeshare ownership is my fixed weeks that are deeded. I know exactly what I am getting every year and when. I make my points ownership work for me but it is more stressful due to the variability in what I can reserve for prime weeks at prime resorts.

Booking high quality resorts during the flexchange period is a great, great value for Worldmark owners. Only 4000 credits plus HK token + exchange fee for a Marriott or Westin 2br or 3br!