• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vidanta Riviera Maya Update April 2018

wrxdoug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thank you for that information. May be our last exchange as well....too bad... I think they are going to be shooting themselves in the foot with these changes.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
I am here now and when we checked in to The Grand Bliss yesterday, we were told that as exchangers, we were not allowed to use the Beach Club. We used SFX and made the reservations 18 months in advance for a 2 week stay.

I talked to the gal that wants you to tour/update and she said that they wanted to have special amenities for members. I told her that we were owners using some use or lose weeks and chose this resort because of the Beach Club access. She said we should have come as owners. She also said the update would be short because they did not have any more GL units to sell - they just wanted to tell us about the resort. Right! :eek: We still declined.

We are on the first floor of building 4 which is not far from the Central Lobby. The unit is OK - it has handicap accessibility on the lock-out side. I have thought about asking to downgrade to GM Buildings 1-7 just so we would be closer to the restaurants and pools and could walk instead of taking the shuttle. The GB is not on the main shuttle route. We were told to walk over to the pick-up area between GM 8-9 for faster pick-up or walk on the pathways. It is a LONG way to the regular beach front pool from GB on the walking paths when carrying things for a day at the beach. We got there too late to get a shady spot today because we went to the grocery first thing, so we just came back to our deck.

We have 2 weeks here and in less than 24 hours, we have decided that we will not return to Riviera Maya. It no longer has any appeal for us - we have spent 3-4 weeks here years ago and loved it. Now it is just jungle views and very little breeze on the deck. At least the deck is shaded. The dipping pool is fairly cool.

Thanks for clarifying that Phyllis. That's what I thought the situation was, but someone else said they had access as exchangers. It might be worth actually going to the Beach Club and trying to get in, not that they'd try to persuade you to go to the update by shading the truth ... after all that don't have anything left to try to sell you! ;)

This last trip we did there was only our second one; our next few are down to the NV side. I'm kind of leaning towards preferring that side, myself - I like the idea of splitting a stay between Buganvilias and GL so we can easily see PV as well as enjoy the resort. Just got the transfer form for that Presidential Sky Suite you pointed out on eBay, so we should be all set with that. :banana:

Our dipping pool was a bit on the chilly side at the beginning of the month. There were a couple of days when it drained during the day for cleaning then never refilled until we talked to the concierge and got maintenance to come up and fix it.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I do not understand why people choose to go on vacation and fight with the hotel and timeshare salespeople.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
This last trip we did there was only our second one; our next few are down to the NV side. I'm kind of leaning towards preferring that side, myself - I like the idea of splitting a stay between Buganvilias and GL so we can easily see PV as well as enjoy the resort. Just got the transfer form for that Presidential Sky Suite you pointed out on eBay, so we should be all set with that. :banana:

Great plan! Best of both worlds. :)

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I do not understand why people choose to go on vacation and fight with the hotel and timeshare salespeople.

Neither do i - when we booked this week, the "Beach Club" was just for people who were staying at this resort and the one at the higher level THEN, last month, they changed their rules - saying that exchangers could not use that pool. We are owners at the highest level but had 2 weeks that we needed to use or lose and choose this one because of the amenities, including the Beach Club. We got here and were told the rules had changed. We have 2 weeks booked and are celebrating our 50th Anniversary a few weeks early, so wanted to be able to enjoy a great pool with a beach view. I choose the places we go as long as there is a beach access/awesome view for my husband, he loves it. I thought this would be the ultimate vacation at a former favorite resort and could use those expiring weeks. Had I known that we would be extremely limited, I would have chosen another resort.

I love what I call Mayan World Resorts, but they should honor the benefits that were available when you booked your vacation - whether it is an exchange or ownership week. That is the issue here and many people have been cancelling their reservations because of it. We were past the cancellation window and came hoping that they would honor what was the rule when we booked - just like they do the resort fee.

We will most likely visit Member Services, but will not "fight" with the people. The people who want you to take the timeshare tour or update get paid according to how many people they send their way. We have done numerous exchanges into Vidanta resorts over the years in addition to using exchange weeks as we tend to bring extended family with us.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Could you use the GL pool Phyllis?

lauramiddl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Currently for Grand Luxxe and Grand Bliss exchanges, you have access to the pools for the level below what's booked but do not have access to the pools for the resort you exchanged into At this rate Grand Mayan exchangers won't have access to the Grand Mayan pool, and Mayan Palace exchangers will be SOL .

I feel like you're rolling the dice exchanging into vidanta right now .

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Vidanta will be starting to run a cruise line out of Puerto Vallarta in the not too distant future by all reports. I wonder if there will be restrictions on who can use the lifeboats....

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
Currently for Grand Luxxe and Grand Bliss ....,, At this rate Grand Mayan exchangers won't have access to the Grand Mayan pool, and Mayan Palace exchangers will be SOL .

Lots of beach palapas & ocean swimming .

FYI - Vidanta resort fee ( before 25% credit) pp/pd - RCI

Nuevo Vallarta - $ 30
Riviera Maya - $30
Los Cabos - $30

Puerto Vallarta - Marina $20
Puerto Penasco - $20

Acapulco- $ 10

Mazatlan - $ 0

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The resort fee for SFX exchanges at Riviera Maya, at least, is still $75 flat rate per week.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Could you use the GL pool Phyllis?

No, we do not have the correct wristbands. We will walk over and take a look sometime while we are here. I have my GL Owner/Member Cards in my beach bag and do not plan to stay, but want to see it. We are going over to Member Services and ask to get our photo ID ones that we were told about when in NV. We had guests when we were there and did not go do that.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

I doubt anyone's fighting, LOL.

However, there's a legitimate argument to be made for discussing ("arguing/fighting") when things aren't disclosed or change after you book and then when you show up "surprise!".

If I booked an exchange or even a timeshare and certain amenities are off-limits and it's not disclosed, you can bet I'd be discussing with someone to "fight" to get access to that since it's not stipulated in the terms. Failing that, I'd have to deal with the Exchange company for some sort of relief.

And if you've ever stayed at a Vidanta resort (or some other timeshares) you do have to "fight" with the timeshare folks to be left alone. Getting 2-3 calls/day and constant nagging when you walk by the lobby is a tad annoying. And they can be downright rude when you say no. Vidanta, unfortunately is now putting you in rooms based upon whether you attend the 4+ hour "90-minute presentation" or not.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
I doubt anyone's fighting, LOL.

However, there's a legitimate argument to be made for discussing ("arguing/fighting") when things aren't disclosed or change after you book and then when you show up "surprise!".

If I booked an exchange or even a timeshare and certain amenities are off-limits and it's not disclosed, you can bet I'd be discussing with someone to "fight" to get access to that since it's not stipulated in the terms. Failing that, I'd have to deal with the Exchange company for some sort of relief.

And if you've ever stayed at a Vidanta resort (or some other timeshares) you do have to "fight" with the timeshare folks to be left alone. Getting 2-3 calls/day and constant nagging when you walk by the lobby is a tad annoying. And they can be downright rude when you say no. Vidanta, unfortunately is now putting you in rooms based upon whether you attend the 4+ hour "90-minute presentation" or not.

Yes, I agree you should get what you paid for and resorts should not use hotel amenities as handcuffs to get you to TS presentations nor should they harass their guests. My question was why do people still go to resorts where they know they will be harassed? I canceled my exchange reservation after reading this thread since I learned we would not have access to the amenities we thought we were paying for. Thank you to TUG for posting this information so we could avoid wasting our precious vacation time fighting or unhappy.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
...Thank you to TUG for posting this information so we could avoid wasting our precious vacation time fighting or unhappy.

That’s exactly why I posted the tidbit about the Beach Club. Hopefully it does provide some feedback to their decision process for adding restrictions like this and they either change the restrictions or publicize them.

As a Grand Luxxe owner, I do appreciate there being some specific benefits when I go there, but it seems awful unfair to bait and switch people exchanging in, which sometimes includes me. I’ve noticed a lot of availability for GL RM in various exchanges/booking mechanisms, some of which (e.g., SFX Travel Store Run by ICE) advertise the existence of the GL pool and Custom Burger restaurant that won’t be available to someone using the exchange/booking method. That’s just wrong.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Yes, I agree you should get what you paid for and resorts should not use hotel amenities as handcuffs to get you to TS presentations nor should they harass their guests. My question was why do people still go to resorts where they know they will be harassed? I canceled my exchange reservation after reading this thread since I learned we would not have access to the amenities we thought we were paying for. Thank you to TUG for posting this information so we could avoid wasting our precious vacation time fighting or unhappy.

Yes - TUG is great! We were so disappointed that Vidanta changed the rules since we made our reservations and bought our airline tickets. (That makes it hard to cancel the reservation.) When they changed the daily fee, they honored the one that was on your confirmation. BUT, even when you make a reservation more than a year in advance of coming, they are not honoring the amenities! That is not right. I am so disappointed in them and have been an owner since 1999. We have used owner weeks and exchange weeks many times to have great family vacations and am just glad that we did not bring others with us this time.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score

Yes, Amen to TUG!
LOL!

Seriously it's good that we find out about these things now (and also like the RCI/II $30/pp/day fees).

Granted, I've not been to Vidanta since Jan of 2016, and they were OK about us saying 'no" (although got about 2 phone calls/day). Although I hear they're much more aggressive now.

Although Hilton apparently is relentless as well. I'd booked a room for myself, one for my sister and another for a friend. I got no phone calls (I bought resale and apparently an "blacklisted" now--haha). My sister and the friend got daily (sometimes more) calls about a "welcome gift" which was the timeshare sale.
Even after stating "no" repeatedly they kept calling.

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes - TUG is great! We were so disappointed that Vidanta changed the rules since we made our reservations and bought our airline tickets. (That makes it hard to cancel the reservation.) When they changed the daily fee, they honored the one that was on your confirmation. BUT, even when you make a reservation more than a year in advance of coming, they are not honoring the amenities! That is not right. I am so disappointed in them and have been an owner since 1999. We have used owner weeks and exchange weeks many times to have great family vacations and am just glad that we did not bring others with us this time.

Let us know *if* you make any headway with member services--assuming you do that.

I'm mostly curious if one can point out that it wasn't disclosed and get access then.

Good luck Phyllis!

Also, looking forward to seeing you (hopefully) in PV in December at the Buganvilias.

richontug

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Phyllis, this is a long thread but I do not understand how "Vidanta changed the rules" since you made the reservation.
I have GL reserved for next January through SFX and expect to use GL pool.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
Phyllis, this is a long thread but I do not understand how "Vidanta changed the rules" since you made the reservation.

Don't count on it unless they change the rule again!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

Don't count on it unless they change the rule again!

I understand that they don’t have the owners restrictions in NV; otherwise you could go to a sales pitch....

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
We went to Membership Services today to get our GL Photo ID's. They would not budge on giving us owner bands unless we took the update. She said they were 100% full at GB and if they are only 80% next week, they will consider it. The only way we are 100% full at GB is if close to 1/2 the units are not complete. There are no lights on in most units after dark. They said that the contracts say that if you are not paying your MF, then you do not get the benefits - if you use all your registered weeks, then you will get them with an exchange. I read my contract and while it says that when we use our weeks or family or guests do, they get our benefits. If we use it for an exchange, the people who exchange in do not get those benefits. This was about massages and super golf discounts. Nothing was mentioned about pools and restaurants.

We did walk over to the Beach Club on our way back from Member Services, and at 11:00, there were very few people in the pool and most of the Palapas were vacant.

We got back to our room and had a missed call from someone and I returned it. She said that because we were GL owners, we needed to sign up for the discounts we got because of that. She wanted us to do the update to get these and I told her that we had just been to Member Services and did not seem to qualify for any special deals including owner wristbands. She said she was sorry and hung up.

Our unit is beautiful and very private. We do not see any people because of the vegetation surrounding us. I would be nice to get a breeze - we see the trees blowing at the 2nd & 3rd floor levels, but then you would also see the GM buildings and people on their decks. We plan on enjoying quiet time reading on our deck after a few hours at the MP beach each day.

We have decided however to not go to the Cirque dinner show or any of the restaurants. We will spend our money elsewhere. We would rather go to Puerto Morales or Playa del Carmen to spend our vacation dollars. Even with taxi fares, it will be break even or cheaper but we will not spend any more money on-site. We will stock up on breakfast, beverages, and other food items when in town. They will not be getting anywhere close to the $1000 they have pending on our CC for a 2 week stay.

We love Mayan World but they certainly do not love owners who exchange in. They only love you if you take a tour - whether you are a long-time owner or first-timer. Sales bosses rule at Mayan World. It has always been about sales - that is what built this place.

pittle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vidanta Grand Luxxe
Buganvilias Sky Suites
Pueblo Bonito Em Bay
I understand that they don’t have the owners restrictions in NV; otherwise you could go to a sales pitch....

That is NOT going to happen because they said they would consider it if we took the update - but no guarantee. I can guarantee that we would not upgrade!

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
One thing I learned from the sales guy last time is that each site is managed on its own for the most part. That’s why the treatment of exchangers is different in RM & NV, as well as contributing to the slow progress at East Cape and the lack of GL at the others. Not sure it’s all true, of course, but it does make sense to segment the resorts business-wise to invest in the local clientele (including travelers).

It’s also striking how much more exchange availability there is into NV, while the actions at RM seem more like driving away exchangers. Time will tell which approach is better; I’d like to see the RM one friendlier myself.

One thing you might try, Phyllis, is asking member services why you’re not given owners’ bracelets on a privilege week exchange with SFX. Those are part of what they sell with the resort ownership and mentioned as much in the contracts vis-a-vis pool access and use of benefits. I’d also bet they aren’t too good at record keeping whether it’s a privilege week or not....

hurnik

TUG Member
Reaction score
We went to Membership Services today to get our GL Photo ID's. They would not budge on giving us owner bands unless we took the update. She said they were 100% full at GB and if they are only 80% next week, they will consider it. The only way we are 100% full at GB is if close to 1/2 the units are not complete. There are no lights on in most units after dark. They said that the contracts say that if you are not paying your MF, then you do not get the benefits - if you use all your registered weeks, then you will get them with an exchange. I read my contract and while it says that when we use our weeks or family or guests do, they get our benefits. If we use it for an exchange, the people who exchange in do not get those benefits. This was about massages and super golf discounts. Nothing was mentioned about pools and restaurants.

We did walk over to the Beach Club on our way back from Member Services, and at 11:00, there were very few people in the pool and most of the Palapas were vacant.

We got back to our room and had a missed call from someone and I returned it. She said that because we were GL owners, we needed to sign up for the discounts we got because of that. She wanted us to do the update to get these and I told her that we had just been to Member Services and did not seem to qualify for any special deals including owner wristbands. She said she was sorry and hung up.

Our unit is beautiful and very private. We do not see any people because of the vegetation surrounding us. I would be nice to get a breeze - we see the trees blowing at the 2nd & 3rd floor levels, but then you would also see the GM buildings and people on their decks. We plan on enjoying quiet time reading on our deck after a few hours at the MP beach each day.

We have decided however to not go to the Cirque dinner show or any of the restaurants. We will spend our money elsewhere. We would rather go to Puerto Morales or Playa del Carmen to spend our vacation dollars. Even with taxi fares, it will be break even or cheaper but we will not spend any more money on-site. We will stock up on breakfast, beverages, and other food items when in town. They will not be getting anywhere close to the $1000 they have pending on our CC for a 2 week stay.

We love Mayan World but they certainly do not love owners who exchange in. They only love you if you take a tour - whether you are a long-time owner or first-timer. Sales bosses rule at Mayan World. It has always been about sales - that is what built this place.

Wow, thanks Phyllis.
Yeah, we're now re-thinking any future visits to Vidanta for RM. I think we'll start looking at Puerto Morelos or Cozumel or Cancun itself from now on until they change their ways. (we only stay at Vidanta if we can do Grand Bliss/Grand Luxxe).

T-Dot-Traveller

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Mayan Palace Regency
Taranova
We went to Membership Services today to get our GL Photo ID's I read my contract and while it say..... If we use it for an exchange, the people who exchange in do not get those benefits. This was about massages and super golf discounts. Nothing was mentioned about pools and restaurants.

Power corrupts and absolute power .... it does look like in RM sales is the tail wagging the dog .
I hope Benny Michaud -Director of Hotel Operations at Vidanta reads your post .

Enjoy the restaurants in Puerto Morales & Playa del Carmen .

Last edited: