• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

StarPoint Purchase?

Billikan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Branson Meadows
Wyndham Kingsgate
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Westin Flex
Westin Aventuras
I have 8 certificates to purchase StarPoints. Each certificate is for 90,000 StarPoints for a purchase price of $1,875. So 720,000 SO for $15,000 or $0.0208 per SO. I realize that this is similar to other purchase offers, but I have to believe that these opportunities will be very limited up to the August conversion. Various places like TPG value SOs at @$0.026 and Marriott points at $0.009. This was prior to the recent announcements, but are values that reflect the 3x post August levels. I am interested in thoughts from the group. Should I exercise these options? Of course I would purchase on SPG AMEX to leverage the purchase and extra SOs.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Think about what you would use them for. Then do your homework as to whether the points are a better value than cash. In many cases, the points aren't worth the cost. I hear European travel is a good points value, but I rarely find domestic stays worth it, unless I have a good mix of free ones from my AMEX card. Domestic air travel is really hit or miss. If you get 25,000 miles for 20,000 points, that can be a deal maker, but you still have to price check.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Two cents per StarPoint is a good price, but only if you know exactly what you will be doing with those points so you get the full benefit.

Otherwise, you have changed a flexible, liquid asset (cash) into something you may have difficulty using.

And, of course, if you earn as many StarPoints with your AmEx as you can conveniently use, there is no reason to buy any additional.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
Two cents an SP is definitely a good value especially with the conversion to MRP. I just booked 20+ nights at various Ritz Carlton in Hawaii and Europe for >50% off the cheapest published rates. Typically, I find 40%+ savings off the published Marriott hotel rates less so with Westins and Sheratons. And that's not taking into account the upgrade and club lounge access for Platinum members. I've also taken advantage of the conversion to AA and UA miles which further saved me 25-50% on airfares.

lorenmd

TUG Member
Reaction score
i exercised 6 of my certificates and i wish i had done more. i transfer them to american airlines miles and get the bonus 5k for every 20k and then i can get a round trip ticket to europe in the beds for my $1875. totally worth it for me.

Helios

TUG Member
Reaction score
i can get a round trip ticket to europe in the beds for my $1875. totally worth it for me.
That’s the way to do it...

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
Using points for hotels in Europe is the best way to extract value. Good plan.

canesfan

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORVN x2
WSJ-BV
WLR
I usually use SP for European travel but I don’t have a trip scheduled. With the travel package of Hotel and Air how long is the hotel certificate good for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
We typically convert points to AA, getting the bonus as 4-star elite and the added bonus that AA adds at certain times of the year, then we use the remaining points for stays in great hotels. Currently in Venice, at the Westin Europa and Regina, just left Rome a couple of days ago, stayed at Le Meridien Visconti, heading to Edinburgh next, followed by London. Staying at the Sheraton Grand Hotel and Spa, and the Sheraton Grand London Park Lane. The entire trip was paid for using points, well, except for the taxes, that is! We have done a big European trip 4 times in the last 6 years. Flew first class the first 3 times and business class this last time. Good value for us. Already planning the next trip for October of next year.

Sicnarf

TUG Member
Reaction score
I usually use SP for European travel but I don’t have a trip scheduled. With the travel package of Hotel and Air how long is the hotel certificate good for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travel cert is good for 1 year from date of issue.

JudyS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have 8 certificates to purchase StarPoints. Each certificate is for 90,000 StarPoints for a purchase price of $1,875. ...
Just curious -- where did you get these certificates? Was it something you got by purchasing VSE from the developer? Or maybe by doing a lot of business with Starwood hotels?

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Just curious -- where did you get these certificates? Was it something you got by purchasing VSE from the developer? Or maybe by doing a lot of business with Starwood hotels?

Those certificates are provided as an additional incentive for purchasing directly from the developer.