• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cancelation policy for "no shows" in the new system

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
It appears to be automatic that a reservation will cancel automatically if someone does not checkin by 2am or so of the 2nd day. NOT 48 hours.

Example:
Checkin of April 20 is cancelled at April 22 at 2am. NOT at April 22 at 4pm like one might expect.

I've had this happen at 2 resorts. They will reinstate the reservation, but it's a hassle (and makes you a little nervous til it's done).

If you call before it gets canceled, they can change the date to the new checkin date and it won't cancel out. I haven't done that yet, but sounds pretty simple and painless and had I made the call ahead of time, it would have been easier all the way around.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you get the check-in date moved, for the day(s) you did not show up for do you know if you get the points back?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
If you get the check-in date moved, for the day(s) you did not show up for do you know if you get the points back?
No you will not get your points back. You been around here long Robert ?
Cancellation policy to get your points refunded hasn’t changed

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
In all honesty do you really think you could call the day of checkin or the day after and get your points refunded?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
I don't own or use Wydham, but why would you want to checkin late to a points reservation? I can see this sometimes on an RCI or II exchange, but a points reservation? Aren't you trying to maximize your points? Are you reserving days early in order to score hard to get reservations that you wouldn't get if you waited?

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't own or use Wydham, but why would you want to checkin late to a points reservation? I can see this sometimes on an RCI or II exchange, but a points reservation? Aren't you trying to maximize your points? Are you reserving days early in order to score hard to get reservations that you wouldn't get if you waited?
Wyndham doesn’t allow us to modify or change the dates of a reservation.
You have to cancel and make a new reservation to change your reservation dates.
A lot of times owners would rather lose a day or 2 of points than risk losing the reservation trying to rebook if their plans have changed.
When it becomes a real problem is when a renter doesn’t tell the owner they will be checking in late. They could have a 14 day reservation and show up 2 days after checkin only to find the entire reservation has been cancelled by Wyndham

Last edited:

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
My situation just makes me sick. You can't make people read or verify, you just can't. No refunds, can't cancel, confirmations, verbiage, nothing seems to catch their attention. Some people just don't look at details til they're focused on their vacation.

They rented 7 nights expecting to checkin late, I was out of town for a funeral and rented for less then my cost (just wanted it off my radar).

So... kept asking when they were going to actually checkin. On 21st when I said I really need to let the resort know, or they will cancel because the checkin was yesterday, she responded. Her response was "Yesterday? Our reservation is supposed to be for May. I must have accidentally said April because I was asking about it in April".

I don't expect Wyndham to refund points, especially when the reservation has already started. Was hoping to salvage something, given the situation.

But all the stuff in Braindead's post is really the "normal" considerations, when dealing with existing reservations and not being able to shave off a day or two (regardless of how much ahead of the checkin date you may be).

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under current policies, yes you can cancel and get points back. I think, the insurance is about 50 dollars.

Avislo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Sandi for the info. Yes, as I understand it, Wyndham may credit points back if some reasons they consider are good reasons are applicable.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Under current policies, yes you can cancel and get points back. I think, the insurance is about 50 dollars.
Just so everyone else understands
1. You have to put the insurance on before the forfeiture of points period begins for cancellation of reservations.
2. You have to cancel the reservation period.
3. You cannot modify the checkin or checkout date.
4. If it was possible to modify checkin or checkout dates anyone wanting the big events or high demand reservations would simply book at the earliest time possible. Pay the insurance knowing they will shave days off later

mjc775

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk + DRI/HVC

Not sure about Wyndham, but DRI has a 2-night minimum reservation. We needed a 1-night stay before our June cruise out of Port Canaveral. So I booked the 2-night minimum (including the night before we arrive), and I’ll just call the day before telling them we ran into travel problems and will be checking in a day late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRIless

Reaction score
In all honesty do you really think you could call the day of checkin or the day after and get your points refunded?
Their new "insurance" for $49 lets you do this sort of cancellation, doesn't it?

DRIless

Reaction score
Not sure about Wyndham, but DRI has a 2-night minimum reservation. We needed a 1-night stay before our June cruise out of Port Canaveral. So I booked the 2-night minimum (including the night before we arrive), and I’ll just call the day before telling them we ran into travel problems and will be checking in a day late.

Why lie, just tell them when you're arriving? Lying makes no sense.

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
Their new "insurance" for $49 lets you do this sort of cancellation, doesn't it?
No the new insurance doesn’t allow you to push your checkin date back a day or 2 and get your points back for the 1 or 2 nights.
I looked for the details online for the insurance but couldn’t find anything.
Even if the OP had insurance I don’t think you can cancel after the checkin time starts and still get your points back.
When you make a reservation online it doesn’t offer the insurance.
The reservation in question here by the OP obviously had no insurance.
The reservation is rented out. The OP is trying to accommodate their renters without the reservation being cancelled
OP is moving the checkin time back not canceling the reservation

Last edited:

mjc775

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Waikiki Beach Walk + DRI/HVC
Why lie, just tell them when you're arriving? Lying makes no sense.

The sales reps do it, turnabout is fair play...

I’m not necessarily lying, I’m just bending the rules. We need one night and I’d like to use points to book a reservation, but the system won’t let me book one night. Also, if I tell them in advance, they may rent our room so that we have to wait until 4pm to check in. We actually have a red-eye flight scheduled so we’ll be getting in around 10AM, and want to be able to get into our room to nap immediately.

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
This whole situation is just so shady on Wyndham's part.

If you paid for the reservation (either with money or points), then it shouldn't matter when (or if) you're actually occupying the room. The sole reason this "cancellation for no show" rule exists is so that Wyndham can attempt a "double-dip" on the room rate.

I don't know about the legalities of the situation, but at the very least it's highly unethical.

DRIless

Reaction score
The sales reps do it, turnabout is fair play...
to use points to book a reservation, but the system won’t let me book one night. Also, if I tell them in advance, they may rent our room so that we have to wait until 4pm to check in. We actually have a red-eye flight scheduled so we’ll be getting in around 10AM, and want to be able to get into our room to nap immediately.
Definitely the wrong attitude about life in general, as now you're saying that you're going to want/use more than one day or night's booking. If you tell them we ran into travel problems, when you hadn't/didn't, then you're not being truthful.

wjappraise

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Definitely the wrong attitude about life in general, as now you're saying that you're going to want/use more than one day or night's booking. If you tell them we ran into travel problems, when you hadn't/didn't, then you're not being truthful.

If an owner “pays” for two nights by using points and only stays one night, why does there need to be disclosure made as to why they are not staying two nights? What am I missing? A simple phone call, “we will not be able to check in until tomorrow and need the room held” is sufficient.

Silverdollar

TUG Member
Reaction score
This whole situation is just so shady on Wyndham's part.

If you paid for the reservation (either with money or points), then it shouldn't matter when (or if) you're actually occupying the room. The sole reason this "cancellation for no show" rule exists is so that Wyndham can attempt a "double-dip" on the room rate.

I don't know about the legalities of the situation, but at the very least it's highly unethical.
We are faced with this issue next month. We booked a 4BR unit at Ocean Ridge (OR) for 10 nights for our family vacation with kids/grandkids. My wife and I were planning to arrive a couple days early so we could have some time with just of two of us, and then the rest would join us later due to their work schedules.

Since the original booking, we learned of our niece getting married in CA, so we made arrangements to attend and then join our family on vacation at OR. But, in doing so, we risk losing the entire reservation because our children may not be able to arrive within the 48-hour window.

I agree with you; We paid for the reservation (w/ points), therefore it shouldn't matter when we actually occupy the room. This is one of a growing list of issues that gives me a "bad taste in my mouth" with Wyndham. This policy needs to change!

Braindead

TUG Member
Reaction score
We are faced with this issue next month. We booked a 4BR unit at Ocean Ridge (OR) for 10 nights for our family vacation with kids/grandkids. My wife and I were planning to arrive a couple days early so we could have some time with just of two of us, and then the rest would join us later due to their work schedules.

Since the original booking, we learned of our niece getting married in CA, so we made arrangements to attend and then join our family on vacation at OR. But, in doing so, we risk losing the entire reservation because our children may not be able to arrive within the 48-hour window.

I agree with you; We paid for the reservation (w/ points), therefore it shouldn't matter when we actually occupy the room. This is one of a growing list of issues that gives me a "bad taste in my mouth" with Wyndham. This policy needs to change!
As Sandi Bo posted just make sure you call every day. Starting with the checkin day and everyday after till one of you checkin.

It shouldn’t be that way but you will have to do what’s necessary to keep your reservation