• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WKORV - Late April - Sunrise at Haleakalā

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
Hmmm how many Cat 1/2 approaches have I done with a forecast of circling mins or better?

Not many days when you need to do a Cat 1/2 approach in Maui! But yes, forecasts do often go bust.

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I've been there when it was incredible, and also when it's been miserable and no visibility. But both times I booked it with a bike company. No way would I want to make that drive on my own, with all its switchbacks, in the middle of the night. No way, no how.

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Lisa ain't kiddin' - the road to Haleakala:

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 6.40.00 PM.png

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
If you go during the day, or come down during the daylight, there is a nice park on the way down called Hosmer's Grove. It's a great place to stop for a picnic, it has hiking trails, and is well known for bird watching because of the variety of birds in the area.

blondietink

Reaction score
Lisa ain't kiddin' - the road to Haleakala:

View attachment 6177

Just driving up and down in a car is challenging enough. The views are incredible but no way I would ever attempt it in the dark. Not many guardrails and incredible switchbacks on an incline/decline. It is better than the Road to Hana, though, at least in my opinion. Better satisfying views and fewer hairpins turns.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
Last edited:

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I wasn't able to find a good picture - but here is a map showing the switch backs - it also shows Hosmer Grove:

Screen Shot 2018-04-11 at 8.40.29 PM.png

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
I did it in the dark the last time we were on Maui, and I'll be doing it again, in the dark, next month. It's just a winding road. What's the big deal? :shrug:

Dave

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Here's an aerial view:

haleakala road.jpg

Dave

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
And this is my Waze pic on the road to H......

BTW: Going up/down for Sunrise is not that big a deal. You are just following the 200 cars ahead of you (and behind).

Maui H

Last edited:

LisaRex

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Used to own: WKORV-N; SVV - Bella
I did it in the dark the last time we were on Maui, and I'll be doing it again, in the dark, next month. It's just a winding road. What's the big deal? :shrug:

A windy road in the dark is bad enough because you have to concentrate so hard. Add in an unfamiliar car, the lack of guard rails, and the fatigue you're feeling because of the 5 to 6 hour time difference, and it's not something I'd relish doing. Obviously, YMMV.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A windy road in the dark is bad enough because you have to concentrate so hard. Add in an unfamiliar car, the lack of guard rails, and the fatigue you're feeling because of the 5 to 6 hour time difference, and it's not something I'd relish doing. Obviously, YMMV.

I understand it’s not something everyone would be comfortable doing. For me, living in a small town with lots of dark, winding roads, it’s not all that unusual. I agree, YMMV. :)

Dave

taffy19

Reaction score
I really like the drive up there. We only went once with a tour at sunrise. It was too clouded so disappointing. It was bitter cold too and the wind was hauling.

We mostly go up during the day now and try to be there when the colors in the crater are most beautiful. If the weather is socked in, keep on going because it can change so quickly again and be clear at the top. Once there you feel like you are at the top of the world and there are some trails that most people can do to see the crater from a different angle plus to look down on the ocean. That is a very short walk.

We have stayed several times until the sun had gone down but you won’t be back until after dark. More and more people are doing this now and there can be a slow driver in front of you and there will be a parade of cars. Still worthwhile doing, IMO.

Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures! :)

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
Figure we should do it once. Unless the weather forecast is horrible, then I guess we'll figure it out.

zsn

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A second for Hosmer's Grove. Take a pair of good binoculars. Superb birding location. Honeycreepers are beautiful birds and their behavior is mesmerizing.

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
We drove up in 2000 for our first and only time. The cloud cover was perfect. For the drive up, or down, it doesn't seem that bad, you only see the short distance between you and the car in front. So your area of attention is really no different than driving on any other road. I also don't recall and huge cliffs on the drive down. It is a volcanic cone with a long slope.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
We did the sunrise drive today ( can't believe I'm still functioning). Concierge suggested we leave at 2:30, we arrived at the reservations required checkpoint at 4am. Arrived at summit 430. We didn't have any cars to follow on the way. Quite a few cars already there when we arrived. Slight whispy clouds for a perfect sunrise. It was breathtaking!! Awesome star gazing before the sun started to peek in the east. I don't know if I would ever do this again because I don't think we would get another morning as good let alone better!
c6d89cb119bb33fd193fcc41d8466bcb.jpg
95ebfc0746553304d1167b99631e4096.jpg
5d9d3564360602910747ea56ac0c6e6a.jpg
016c398c0a8812a8a71eba324371e5ef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

taffy19

Reaction score
How beautiful and that you saw this in person. Thanks for sharing your photos with us. Mahalo. :)

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Wow! Spectacular! Good for you.