• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Cycling Sea Pines to Harbour Point

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning 2019 July trip to HHI.

Using enrolled VCP - question is do I book Grande Ocean or much cheaper Harbour Point. Or could use VCP for SurfWatch as will be booking my owner week there for week 2.

Ideally want to be closer to Sea Pines as loved our time cycling around there last time (including to Salty Dog Cafe). My dad will be 82 so I don't think it's doable from SurfWatch. This time of year will be heaving; think Harbour Point will be less hectic but wondering how much further the cycling to Sea Pines is?

We'll be a party of 4 adults so not bothered about kids activities.

Where would tuggers stay?

Thanks

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Planning 2019 July trip to HHI.

Using enrolled VCP - question is do I book Grande Ocean or much cheaper Harbour Point. Or could use VCP for SurfWatch as will be booking my owner week there for week 2.

Ideally want to be closer to Sea Pines as loved our time cycling around there last time (including to Salty Dog Cafe). My dad will be 82 so I don't think it's doable from SurfWatch. This time of year will be heaving; think Harbour Point will be less hectic but wondering how much further the cycling to Sea Pines is?

We'll be a party of 4 adults so not bothered about kids activities.

Where would tuggers stay?

Thanks
HP isn't much shorter than Surfwatch at 10.5 vs 9 miles to Salty Dog Cafe. If you can get Grande Ocean, that'd be my first choice. You also get a sea pines pass which you'd have to pay for from the other 2. Monarch, Heritage and Harbour Club are also good options inside Sea Pines.

MOXJO7282

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I often ride from HP to Harbourtown. It is a nice long ride but the thing about HHI is it is very flat so other than it being a good distance it's not a very difficult ride in my experience although I am a an avid rider.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Your dad is 82 and will be one of the 4 adults? Consider the heat and humidity. Is he accustomed to that endurance on a bike?

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
My preference was always Monarch. The bike trail is at the end of the driveway and it is about the same distance from Monarch to either the Salty Dog or Harbour Town.

George

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
They have 2-seaters if you'd like to do the work instead of your Dad, if that might help on a longer ride, or any ride.

(He can "pretend to pedal", as our kids used to laughingly do.)

I will say, if you're coming all the way from UK, select Grande Ocean...it's superior in every way.

My frame of reference----- We've been to Europe twice....first time 17 nights in England,
and had we stayed anywhere else but Marriott's County Hall (6 nights),
lovely Wychnor Park Country Club townhouse timeshare villas (7 nights),
and finally Marriott's Grosvenor Square (4 nights),
it would NOT have been as special.

Make it special. :thumbup:

Last edited:

cwtkm3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. My dad is not your typical 81 yr old (82 when we go to HHI). He looks young and is very active. He still works 3 days a week and kept up with us on the bikes on our last trip to HHI 2 years ago!

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Thanks for your replies. My dad is not your typical 81 yr old (82 when we go to HHI). He looks young and is very active. He still works 3 days a week and kept up with us on the bikes on our last trip to HHI 2 years ago!
Nevertheless......it doesn't get any easier as the years go by and it will be very hot and humid in July. As Marty says, choose the best (Grande Ocean).

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
No doubt the Grand Ocean is the nicest choice and is close to Sea Pines. Given you are 4 adults, you may want to consider the Monarch. It will be much less hectic than the GO and as four adults this should not be underestimated. It is on Sea Pines and the beach club right next door has great lunch and dinner options. South Beach and Harbor Town are quick bike rides away. You will also save 40 percent in VCP (assuming this is the same as Destination Points). July in HHI gets very hot and humid. The heat index can often get over 100. Much of the sea pines bike path is shaded by trees but don't underestimate the toll of the index no matter how great in shape one is in.

Last edited:

Old Hickory

TUG Member
Reaction score
No doubt the Grand Ocean is the nicest choice and is close to Sea Pines. Given you are 4 adults, you may want to consider the Monarch. It will be much less hectic than the GO and as four adults this should not be underestimated. It is on Sea Pines and the beach club right next door has great lunch and dinner options. South Beach and Harbor Town are quick bike rides away. You will also save 40 percent in VCP (assuming this is the same as Destination Points). July in HHI gets very hot and humid. The heat index can often get over 100. Much of the sea pines bike path is shaded by trees but don't underestimate the toll of the index no matter how great the shape one is in.

I agree with this. Make the cycling as short as possible unless you are planning on an all-out island adventure. Most folks like the idea of cycling on the island until they get a few miles into the ride. Pleasure doesn't need to be work.

Quilter

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
We love HHI. 8 years ago I wanted to share it with my daughter so she could see what all the fuss was about. It was July. She was early 20's I was late 50's.

In the Spring I would be on the bikes almost all day every day when DH and I visited. Going from Grande Ocean to Salty Dog or Harbour Town is a regular activity. Walking the beach from GO to Monarch is also a regular activity.

However, when DD and I visited Monarch in July we tried both biking and walking. We were miserable doing either with the heat and humidity.

Reactions: jme