• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco Will Be a Thing of the Past and Here’s Why

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
That's really sort of a fluff article. I think you could have said similar things about Sears 20 or even 30 years ago. Costco, like any other retailer, will have to adapt or become extinct. For instance in the 60's and 70's five and dime's were all the rage. Who shops at Woolworths or TG&Y anymore. Would Millennials even know what they were? The difference today may be how quickly retailers need to adapt compared to a few decades ago.

I've become comfortable ordering some items online vs buying them at a brick and mortar store. Largely because the variety online is so much greater and so much easier to browse. OTOH I still prefer brick and mortar shopping for the big ticket items like electronics, bedding or home décor. I've had enough electronics delivered defective that I know longer order them online. I also avoid Walmart for most electronics that can be damaged if tossed around like a basketball in the store room.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree Costco must change to stay competitive with Amazon.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Costco keeps its corporate eye firmly on their business model, and they are always adapting to the market. Amazon fills a great niche, but there will always be a demand for a warehouse store. Where else are you going to go for a one-stop to get cheap gas, a fresh rotisserie chicken, all that alcohol, and a buck-fifty hot dog & soda on the way out the door? Add in the bulk sizes, seasonal offerings and roadshows, impulse buys you didn't know you needed, and a great selection of jewelry and watches at ridiculous prices, and Costco remains in business. Amazon can do a lot, but they can't do everything.

Dave

bizaro86

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
There are things the article presents as facts with links, but then the links say something entirely different.

As an example, the article says sales are down, but provides a link to an article saying gross margins were down (in q3 2017). Sales were up, but they earned less per dollar of sales because of product mix. In fact, way at the bottom it notes sales were up 15.7% in 2017. I would suggest if that had been edited by anyone prior to publication, the fact that sales weren't both down and up would probably have been caught.

Last edited:

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
The Cheat Sheet is fluff with a bunch of advertising.
Occasionally, I find the fluff entertaining, but that's all it is.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I agree Costco must change to stay competitive with Amazon.

But I do not see these two as being direct competitors either. Costco fills a different niche than Amazon IMO.

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Bah, just clickbait. Costco has a home delivery service and its integrated in Google Express also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Wgk101

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Las Vegas blvd
Charter Club Marco Island
Flamingo
I agree with dougp in fact it wouldn’t surprise me if the amazon business model would be extinct in 20-30 years

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
I love Costco and am a Amazon Prime member. I think they complement each other.

Some things I would only buy at Costco, because of their return policy. I order things at Amazon that I can't get at Costco.

But Costco is my staple for salad, produce, meat, and frozen products. Gas is also great at costco. Electronics are great at Costco because I can try it and if I don't like it, I can return, no questions asked.

BobDE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
Costco keeps its corporate eye firmly on their business model, and they are always adapting to the market. Amazon fills a great niche, but there will always be a demand for a warehouse store. Where else are you going to go for a one-stop to get cheap gas, a fresh rotisserie chicken, all that alcohol, and a buck-fifty hot dog & soda on the way out the door? Add in the bulk sizes, seasonal offerings and roadshows, impulse buys you didn't know you needed, and a great selection of jewelry and watches at ridiculous prices, and Costco remains in business. Amazon can do a lot, but they can't do everything.

Dave

I agree with Dave. We have BJs, which is our version of Costco, and we love it. It is not in competition with Amazon in our world. Hope it is here forever!

Bucky

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Oceanwatch (2)
In our case we are big Amazon fans. We also have a Costco and BJ’s membership. The reason for two wholesale club memberships is because Costco provides some services that BJ’s doesn’t, such as hearing aids. Amazon is our main go to not so much for the free shipping as it is for the large inventory of items available within a particular product. For example if I walk into Costco or BJ’s looking for flea treatment products for our cat, we are usually only going to find one brand available, mainly because it’s not something they are going to waste a lot of shelf space to merchandise. But on Amazon I can get access to all the different brands out there. Also, we like Amazon NOW for items we need now but don’t want to fight the traffic to get! Recently I bought a new wireless router from them that was delivered in two hours. Small delivery charge but well worth it by not having to fight the idiots on the road or waste the gas.

BJ’s is physically the closest to us but that’s still eight miles. We go there every couple of weeks to pick up a few items in bulk. If needed will purchase gas while there since it’s usually even cheaper than Costco. But, I’m not going out of the way to save $.10 a gal on gas! Let’s see, I put 15 gals in and save $1.50 woo hoo! But then again, it cost me close to a gal of gas to get there and back! Duh.

Costco is nice to go to and see products we usually don’t see at BJ’s but really never go unless it’s something related to my hearing aid. Although I did buy a whole loin strip the last time there that I cut into some nice thick steaks. But, I could have bought the same at BJ’s. Costco is more like 30 miles round trip and right in the middle of a major shopping area. I try and stay out of thos areas like they have the plague. I don’t buy their chickens or there hot dogs but it always amazes me to see how many people actually go there to have lunch.

Costco, like BJ’s, Sams Club, etc will eventually go away. That’s just a fact of life. Things change. I remember when Sears and Montgomery Wards were the major department stores. Look at how that worked out. Someone will come up with the next greatest thing that will put all of them out of business someday. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was a disgruntled millennial.

theo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Costco, like BJ’s, Sams Club, etc will eventually go away. <snip> Someone will come up with the next greatest thing that will put all of them out of business someday.

Perhaps, but I frankly cannot even begin to imagine how or why the Costco / BJ's warehouse club model might somehow fail anytime in the next decade or two. Then again, I admit that my crystal ball has not been working very well lately. :shrug:

Last edited:

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
And then there are people like me that don't use either one.
I'm with you on this. I've never been in a Costco (or Sam's Club for that matter). I think I may have bought something from Amazon a number of years ago.

George

geekette

Reaction score
The market will decide. Nobody knows how it works out until it works out.

I don't see Costco and Amazon as competitors, they simply do different things. People use what fits their lives. When their lives change, they start using what then fits their lives.