• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

We're confused

gelkins

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ocean Boulevard, North Myrtle Beach
We just finished a sales presentation at Westwinds in N. Myrtle Beach. We were told when we registered at the front desk that it was essential to attend the owner's update because of the major changes that were about to occur with Wyndham on June 1. So we went to the presentation and we came away with more questions than answers. It all seemed rather complicated due to the fact that we were originally "Fairshare" owners at Sea Watch Plantation, then we switched ownership to a deeded title at Ocean Blvd. with a purchase of 182,000 annual points. With our ownership, our maintenance fees are currently about $86 per month.

The sales representative said that, under the new system, we will have to pay higher service fees totaling $1600 per year if we don't move up to the 400,000 points level.

It was the most confusing presentation that we've ever sat through. He was all over the place, talking numbers at one point, and favorite local restaurants at another point. He asked questions about our background, our age, and dotted the conversation with new numbers and information that seemed irrelevant to the conversation. I wondered if it was a new strategy of simply trying to confuse the guests in such a way that they weren't quite sure what was going on - only that they need to sign up for more points.

Any thoughts?

spackler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Quarter House, Jean Lafitte House, Bali Hai
Rule #1 of timeshare presentations: if it isn't in writing, assume it's a lie.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Any thoughts?

Welcome to Tug!

The mantra here with regards to any timeshare salesperson's words are these: "If their lips are moving, they're lying." They can, and will, say anything to make a sale, even if it's completely fabricated baloney. I'll let others here answer your specific questions about Wyndham, but I've heard nothing about any such requirement. My suspicion is your salesman was all over the place because he was trying to bait you into buying from him. He lives for his commission.

Tug is loaded with information about all sorts of timeshare companies and how they work. Have a seat and read for awhile. You may find the specifics you're looking for. We're a friendly bunch with no agenda here.

Dave

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
The sales representative said that, under the new system, we will have to pay higher service fees totaling $1600 per year if we don't move up to the 400,000 points level.

There are lies and there are damned lies. This falls under the second category. If the sales rep told you anything at all that was true it may have been about the restaurants but certainly wasn't about anything to do with your ownership.

gelkins

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
What is frustrating to us is the total disconnect between what they tell you at the front desk (i.e., "It's just an update about significant changes in the way Wyndham works and it will only take 60 minutes."), and what really happens during the actual presentation. We heard very little about the changes. It was more about getting to the 400,000 point level and how we're losing money by putting it off. In a December presentation, we were told that we may not have priority access anymore to our home resort because our status was so low. It seems like they are resorting to scare tactics to pressure people into making rash decisions.

gelkins

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
There is no reason to go to an owner update, survey, or whatever it is they call it. Ever.

Apparently there is something that is changing within Wyndham as of June 1, but we're not sure what it will mean for us.

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
Apparently there is something that is changing within Wyndham as of June 1, but we're not sure what it will mean for us.

If there is, we will all hear about it directly from Wyndham, and not because we happened to be staying at a Wyndham property in the last few weeks and agreed to an “update.”

kaljor

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Nashville
Wyndham CWA
Fairfield Bay
There are all sorts of presentations, I even came across an honest one once! I have gotten a kick out of learning these techniques, but it is becoming tiresome. I once had a guy that tried to show me with pencil and paper how I would save thousands of dollars by spending $14,000 right then and there. When I tried to follow him, it made no sense at all. He wasn't comparing apples to oranges, he was comparing apples to zebras!

When I first walked in, he asked me what I wanted to learn about, and I said RCI. I'm not at all familiar with it's ins and outs. He said terrific, we can certainly help you out with that. Two hours later when we were finished, he had never uttered the term "RCI".

The people in the lobby who arrange for our abduction apparently get paid by how many folks they get to go to these "updates" . That's the only reason I can think of as to why they are so persistent and blatant in lying about what these meetings.are.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
The updates always seem to be about "changes". But the sales people never know anything about the changes...

I still do the updates if the "bonus" is enough.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no reason to go to an owner update, survey, or whatever it is they call it. Ever.

Unless you like having a day of your vacation ruined and want to feel an impulse to drink at 9AM.