• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

II Still Works For Us, 2BD NCV 2018 Jul 7 & MKO 2019 Spring Break Confirmations

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
First, we left home last Friday (June 1st) evening to start our first of three summer trips. While finish packing that afternoon, I used a RETRADE of our 2BD MKO (Ko Olina) 2018 Thanksgiving exchange confirmation (from thread https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-confirmations-this-week.265395/#post-2073689 ) to find and reserve an open 2BD Newport Coast Villas for 2018 July 7th.

Second, after lunch today, I experienced another nice surprise when I went into my II account to see what resorts where available to exchange into using an active Request First OGS. My Request First OGS had disappeared, replaced by a confirmation into a 2BD Ko Olina (room category TOVI) to next Spring Break (2019) ! For some reason, the confirmation email does not contain the room category.

For background info on this exchange, I reserved a summer 2019 2BD MMC (Manor Club) and used that to setup a Request First OGS (Marriott-75) a few days ago with a 2BD Ko Olina as my only resort for any availablility during next Spring Break (2019), next summer (all months), or next Thanksgiving (2019).

II still works for us !!!

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Congratulations! Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Enjoy.

Mike

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! Glad to hear it worked out well for you. Enjoy.

Mike
Thanks, Mike. We are just happy as we have experienced a few personal setbacks this year and having some good news from one core part of our lives (family travel) has really help us move forward.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
Nice!! Yes, II works for those that have the skills and patience.

Glad your world is coming back to it's normal orbit.
cheers.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
That July week at NCV is a tough get for me. I have an ongoing search for that resort in July and never get a match. Great catch.

krj9999

TUG Member
Reaction score
Still works for me too. Just was able to retrade into MKO for August 18th (2BR) using EPlus (that I had used to extend the original 1BR Willow Ridge deposit); before our week at the Westin Nanea in Maui.

Now that I finally have the confirmed dates, will be able to book flights and plan the rest of the trip finally. :cheer:

dougp26364

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
And that date is still an estimate. The merger still hasn't cleared Hart-Scott-Rodino even though that is not anticipated to be a problem.

First, we left home last Friday (June 1st) evening to start our first of three summer trips. While finish packing that afternoon, I used a RETRADE of our 2BD MKO (Ko Olina) 2018 Thanksgiving exchange confirmation (from thread https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php...-confirmations-this-week.265395/#post-2073689 ) to find and reserve an open 2BD Newport Coast Villas for 2018 July 7th.

Second, after lunch today, I experienced another nice surprise when I went into my II account to see what resorts where available to exchange into using an active Request First OGS. My Request First OGS had disappeared, replaced by a confirmation into a 2BD Ko Olina (room category TOVI) to next Spring Break (2019) ! For some reason, the confirmation email does not contain the room category.

For background info on this exchange, I reserved a summer 2019 2BD MMC (Manor Club) and used that to setup a Request First OGS (Marriott-75) a few days ago with a 2BD Ko Olina as my only resort for any availablility during next Spring Break (2019), next summer (all months), or next Thanksgiving (2019).

II still works for us as well, just not like it use too. I use to be able to do online searches and select between available resorts, unit sizes and check in dates. Those days are essentially gone for most destinations, especially during higher value seasons. We still get the exchanges we want but, it’s thru ongoing exchanges where II selects the unit type, resort from those we listed as acceptable as well as the check in date.

Granted some resorts, like those in Hawai‘i, where almost always going to require an OGS to make the exchange, but some resorts like Timber Lodge, Mountain Valley Lodge, Willow Ridge, the Palm Desert resorts or the Park City resorts were much easier to choose from using instant exchange than having to utilize OGS (depending on season of course).

What MVW has essentially done with its DC and II equivalent inventory exchange agreement has been to take nearly TOTAL control over their inventory. They choose rather than owners choose. It’s not necessarily a bad thing in that it should help hold popular inventory for MVW owners. It’s more of an inconvenience issue for the minority of owners like me who had learned how to “shop” the online inventory.

Last edited:

BJRSanDiego

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
July at NCV should be absolutely great. You are largely past the "May Gray" and "June Gloom" that occurs along the coast. You should have great weather. Be sure to take the shuttle down to the Beachcomber restaurant (make res's via Open Table) for a 180 degree view of the lovely ocean scenery.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 2 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd)
Traded a studio at Grand Chateau for a 2 br at Ocean Watch for spring break in NY (April 2019.) I continue to look at re-trades since often where we go with my Grand Chateau is based on what comes up when. Thursday a 3 br at Surf Watch popped up for 8/19/18 and this am a 3 br at Aruba Surf popped up for 8/9/18. This year I did a Monarch summer for Grand Ocean summer 12 months out, studio for Desert Springs Villas I for Christmas 8 months out and the Ocean Watch 11 months out Still tied to school calendar and I continue to be happy with II. Disclaimer - previous performance does not ensure future results.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Nice!! Yes, II works for those that have the skills and patience.

Glad your world is coming back to it's normal orbit.

cheers.
LOL, skills? NO, just a little luck and persistence (thanks to a little inspiration from my fellow TUGers ; ) )

I am nowhere near a “normal orbit”, just finding some calmness.

That July week at NCV is a tough get for me. I have an ongoing search for that resort in July and never get a match. Great catch.
I do not want to get into too much details, but there are a lot that goes behind the scenes, and I do not believe OGS work as well as in the past. More below (my response to Doug’s post), but IMO Marriott/II are possibly playing games with inventory, plus the II system and processes are not perfect by any means.

Still works for me too. Just was able to retrade into MKO for August 18th (2BR) using EPlus (that I had used to extend the original 1BR Willow Ridge deposit); before our week at the Westin Nanea in Maui.

Now that I finally have the confirmed dates, will be able to book flights and plan the rest of the trip finally.
C:\Users\warren\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.gif
Congrats, this inspires faith for us exchangers !

II still works for us as well, just not like it use too. I use to be able to do online searches and select between available resorts, unit sizes and check in dates. Those days are essentially gone for most destinations, especially during higher value seasons. We still get the exchanges we want but, it’s thru ongoing exchanges where II selects the unit type, resort from those we listed as acceptable as well as the check in date.

Granted some resorts, like those in Hawai‘i, where almost always going to require an OGS to make the exchange, but some resorts like Timber Lodge, Mountain Valley Lodge, Willow Ridge, the Palm Desert resorts or the Park City resorts were much easier to choose from using instant exchange than having to utilize OGS (depending on season of course).

What MVW has essentially done with its DC and II equivalent inventory exchange agreement has been to take nearly TOTAL control over their inventory. They choose rather than owners choose. It’s not necessarily a bad thing in that it should help hold popular inventory for MVW owners. It’s more of an inconvenience issue for the minority of owners like me who had learned how to “shop” the online inventory.
Yes, I have also noticed less instant exchange opportunities (compared to the past), and this is from the perspective of someone who almost exclusively exchanges. Not to go into too much details, but my recent experience in landing my July NCV stay leads me to believe Marriott and/or II are playing some ‘games’ with inventory – unfortunately, we ‘normal’ owners cannot prove anything, but it sure feels like it. Also, the II system has stability issues, to say the least (I personally experienced over six system issues/glitches in a one week period around the time I reserved the July NCV week).

July at NCV should be absolutely great. You are largely past the "May Gray" and "June Gloom" that occurs along the coast. You should have great weather. Be sure to take the shuttle down to the Beachcomber restaurant (make res's via Open Table) for a 180 degree view of the lovely ocean scenery.
We’ve stayed in NCV several June and July weeks over the years and yes, there can be such a difference between the two months. Heck, I even noticed a couple of Thanksgiving weeks there having better weather than early June ! Anyways, crossing our fingers for nice heat so we can get some pool time in.

We likely will skip Beachcomber but I am committed to take at least one morning hike down to the beach (and shuttle it back up !) – something I’ve always heard other TUGgers doing, but never done ourselves.

Traded a studio at Grand Chateau for a 2 br at Ocean Watch for spring break in NY (April 2019.) I continue to look at re-trades since often where we go with my Grand Chateau is based on what comes up when. Thursday a 3 br at Surf Watch popped up for 8/19/18 and this am a 3 br at Aruba Surf popped up for 8/9/18. This year I did a Monarch summer for Grand Ocean summer 12 months out, studio for Desert Springs Villas I for Christmas 8 months out and the Ocean Watch 11 months out Still tied to school calendar and I continue to be happy with II. Disclaimer - previous performance does not ensure future results.
Sounds like you have had good re-trade/exchange winds ! We’ve been with II for awhile now and normally do not need to retrade – but this experience gives me another ‘tool’ in the utility box. I am glad I happened to read some of the good fortune fellow TUGgers had with retrades because I really wanted to retrade my week due to plan changes.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin lagunamar/Marriott

Congratulations!!!!
ii does work. Last month we traded to surf club..... loved it. And we are going to Crystal shores in September.... yes this was through ii using eplus. I can’t wait.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
Congratulations!!!!
ii does work. Last month we traded to surf club..... loved it. And we are going to Crystal shores in September.... yes this was through ii using eplus. I can’t wait.
I need to read up more on e-plus to see if it will work for us. The one thing that I did read about was using e-plus involves manual searches only, no OGS. I see this as a downside to the product.

taterhed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin WKORV OFD
Marriott's Grande Vista
Worldmark x2
SVV Bella 81k
I need to read up more on e-plus to see if it will work for us. The one thing that I did read about was using e-plus involves manual searches only, no OGS. I see this as a downside to the product.

Let's just put it this way: You match a great unit...not perfect, but great. Then, 2 weeks later, a 3br comes up or a better resort or that 'rare' never seen it before unit that you'd love to have....
I think that's worth $50.

Renzo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin lagunamar/Marriott
To me it’s an opportunity that has obviously worked. Some people see the cup half empty, others....half full.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
To me it’s an opportunity that has obviously worked. Some people see the cup half empty, others....half full.

Exactly. OGS is not superior to manual searches. They are both tools that can be useful in different circumstances. For my circumstance, I would never use an OGS. But everyone has different uses.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would a OGS not be superior to a manual search, given that it is continuous while a manual search is only good for a given search event? This assumes you have all your target resorts in the OGS.

There are many scenarios where OGS is actually worse. I will provide my biggest two, but there are others.

1. I want to go somewhere new and exciting. So, I can't tell you where that is. The new or most exciting place that I have never been to that catches my eye as I am searching through the inventory, which is quite large at any given time, anywhere on Earth I have not been to. I have zero interest in saying here's my 3 places I want to go. How do I know that!? So, example, this year I went to Lanzarote. Would I have ever made an OGS to go to Lanzarote, no way. But when it came up, and, I was going to be in Spain anyway, I did my research and discovered it's a place that appeals to me. This is not possible with an OGS. And it was our kind of place, completely happy.

2. You can get incredible deals in the short term. Since I am retired, way in advance is actually worse for me, given potential health concerns etc. So, shorter term is better for me. Things like cancellations and the like can happen last minute, and, deals come up that do not get picked up via OGS. Things that likely are impossible via OGS. High season weeks at Ko Olina for my studio, Hilton Head high season, etc.

So, that's my two reasons. As I said, both have their use, in no way do I mean to say OGS is not good, it is! Just not for my purposes. But that's the beauty of the system. But #1 is my biggest reason. #2 is just a side benefit.

winger

TUG Member
Reaction score
There are many scenarios where OGS is actually worse. I will provide my biggest two, but there are others.

1. I want to go somewhere new and exciting. So, I can't tell you where that is. The new or most exciting place that I have never been to that catches my eye as I am searching through the inventory, which is quite large at any given time, anywhere on Earth I have not been to. I have zero interest in saying here's my 3 places I want to go. How do I know that!? So, example, this year I went to Lanzarote. Would I have ever made an OGS to go to Lanzarote, no way. But when it came up, and, I was going to be in Spain anyway, I did my research and discovered it's a place that appeals to me. This is not possible with an OGS. And it was our kind of place, completely happy.

But #1 is my biggest reason...
Interesting point of view.

Questions - From my limited time using manual/instant match searches this past month, I have noticed that some of the more desirable resorts do not stay available for very long. It is not surprising to see an availability 'disappear' within 5 minutes from the time it becomes available/pops up on my search. For the places you have been successful in booking into but required some research first, how have you managed this apparent short window of time which some resorts are available in your planning ? Are you making use of e-plus ?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting point of view.

Questions - From my limited time using manual/instant match searches this past month, I have noticed that some of the more desirable resorts do not stay available for very long. It is not surprising to see an availability 'disappear' within 5 minutes from the time it becomes available/pops up on my search. For the places you have been successful in booking into but required some research first, how have you managed this apparent short window of time which some resorts are available in your planning ? Are you making use of e-plus ?

I have never used E-Plus, most of the time it's short term, 30-60 days out, so, when I exchange, I am already getting airfare, etc. Obviously, for a place like Lanzarote where I had to figure out where it was, what's there, etc., there is a lot of time but fortunately it's not the highest demand type place. In the case of a Ko Olina short term, as soon as I see it, I click and exchange. I have often found things at night, not sure if that's just luck or it matches some sort of Interval schedule where they may release inventory. I am often up until 3AM. I doubt I have many competitors at that time of night. :D It does take some effort, no doubt. But I don't mind spending a month looking 5-10 minutes at night just browsing, sort of fun. Certainly not as simple as an OGS - but, I would never have gone to half the places I did with it.

Some (most) like going to specific places, we do not. We want to rarely go to the same place we've been before (but if somewhere great in Hawaii does come up...). The world is big, I don't know everywhere I might want to go. So, I kind of learn about places too as I find something that looks nice. Educational.

I doubt (well, I know!) I am in the majority on this sort of usage! But the question was asked. I like thinking outside the box on everything I do.

Last edited:

Fairwinds

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
II works great for me and I’ve used E+ several times. Used to upgrade and to change dates due to one of life’s curve balls. Funny thing is I agree with every post above, as I like both OGS and the excitement of look and book. Just got an April 2bdr Desert Springs I for my gold MFC week via OGS. Not the greatest value trade ever but fair and was exactly where and when I wanted to go!!!!

sjsharkie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Why would a OGS not be superior to a manual search, given that it is continuous while a manual search is only good for a given search event? This assumes you have all your target resorts in the OGS.

Inside of flex, it is probable that II will bypass OGS requests and only be available to manual search. I can't prove that this is true, but I have had searches ongoing where I snagged something via OGS inside of flex with a worse trader. I'm not sure if it is all of flex, but per my observations, the closer into check-in, the greater the chance a deposit bypasses OGS altogether.

-ryan