• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Rewards Status based on MVC Level

wvacations

TUG Member
Reaction score
We usually don't do "Owner Updates" any more because we get tired of hearing the same old facts/myths.

We did decide it was worth the $250 American Express Card last month and decided to sit through another sales presentation.

Mostly the same un-truths:

- Buying points super charges all the points you get from your weeks
- Without trust points you wont be able to get in any new resorts
- No Weeks will be available in Interval
- 95% of week owners have added trust points
- "Buckets" for legacy weeks points are going to dry up

I did hear an interesting new twist that I would like to confirm. See told us that since we are Chairman Level in MVC that BOTH of us are eligible for Platinum status in Marriott Rewards program. I was under the impression that only on person could be given MRD status. It is not a problem for us as I am lifetime Platinum, so I have my spouse's MRD as the primary account number. I was just wondering if this is another un-truth from the sales force at Marriott.

Thanks.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score

Thanks.

I am not sure what that means, I assume it means it will be harder to get legacy weeks reserved (without points)? Probably that is somewhat true as there should be less and less weeks owned every year as people convert to points, or, weeks owners who die have their weeks go back to Marriott who probably put them into the points system. If that is what they meant, don't know what "legacy weeks points" means?

I'd have gone for $250! That's a good offer for maybe an hour. We generally find a way to get out of it in an hour, 250/hour is a pretty good rate.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I did hear an interesting new twist that I would like to confirm. See told us that since we are Chairman Level in MVC that BOTH of us are eligible for Platinum status in Marriott Rewards program. I was under the impression that only on person could be given MRD status. It is not a problem for us as I am lifetime Platinum, so I have my spouse's MRD as the primary account number. I was just wondering if this is another un-truth from the sales force at Marriott.

Thanks.

One one person can get the Rewards status match, and that can be swapped only once a year, and take effect in Feb.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
We usually don't do "Owner Updates" any more because we get tired of hearing the same old facts/myths.

Thanks.

Marriott trained sales people not being truthful. You are so cynical. I believe that 125% percent of the legacy owners added trust points and well over 200 percent of the legacy owners enrolled their weeks. Okay, maybe I am not telling the truth but if Marriott monitors this BB I am hoping I am offered a sales job.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Weeks and DC Points

We did decide it was worth the $250 American Express Card last month and decided to sit through another sales presentation.

- Buying points super charges all the points you get from your weeks
- Without trust points you wont be able to get in any new resorts
- No Weeks will be available in Interval
- 95% of week owners have added trust points

Thanks.

There definitely are some properties that are/will be difficult/impossible to get without trust points. One example - I just made 2019 reservations for Crystal Shores using DC points. I was unable to use any of the points I have from electing points for my enrolled weeks. I had to 'pay' using strictly trust points. Otherwise, I would not have been able to complete these reservations. That doesn't mean there weren't other ways to be able to still go to Crystal Shores (like renting points, cash rental, etc.). However, to go as a 'points owner' I had to have access to trust points.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
There definitely are some properties that are/will be difficult/impossible to get without trust points. One example - I just made 2019 reservations for Crystal Shores using DC points. I was unable to use any of the points I have from electing points for my enrolled weeks. I had to 'pay' using strictly trust points. Otherwise, I would not have been able to complete these reservations. That doesn't mean there weren't other ways to be able to still go to Crystal Shores (like renting points, cash rental, etc.). However, to go as a 'points owner' I had to have access to trust points.

This is bad news. The MVC salespersons trying me to get me to consider hybrid packages and enrolling my legacy weeks said all points are the same once converted. I have been told that consistently by MVC. I have spoken to at least 3-4 different salespeople and everyone at MVC says the same thing. Is everyone at MVC lying? If this is the case, I may sell my legacy weeks and buy more DC Trust points instead once I get tired of visiting the same places EOY. It certainly would be simpler for me to manage a big bucket of DC Trust Points than a bunch of legacy weeks plus a bunch of DC Trust Points.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard anyone else make this claim. It could be just a feature of the latest website enhancements. Perhaps calling in may have worked. I guess I am sort of skeptical. Would love to hear other experiences people may have had.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
I have never heard anyone else make this claim. It could be just a feature of the latest website enhancements. Perhaps calling in may have worked. I guess I am sort of skeptical. Would love to hear other experiences people may have had.
I believe GregT has posted at least a somewhat similar situation at Ritz St Thomas where it required him to use at least a certain percentage of his total points as Trust points (if I recall correctly). These are the only two such reports that I recall reading about requiring specifically Trust points in some fashion for a ressie.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned

I made two separate 7 night reservations for next summer. Once I had selected the desired unit size/view type, I was taken to a screen where it shows all of your owned points and how the system has initially come up with a recommendation of which points to take from your account for that reservation (based on expiration dates, holding accounts, etc.). In my case, all of my elected points were completely 'grayed out', meaning I could see them but could not choose to use them. The only fields I could edit/select amounts from, were the various usage years for trust points I owned.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
I made two separate 7 night reservations for next summer. Once I had selected the desired unit size/view type, I was taken to a screen where it shows all of your owned points and how the system has initially come up with a recommendation of which points to take from your account for that reservation (based on expiration dates, holding accounts, etc.). In my case, all of my elected points were completely 'grayed out', meaning I could see them but could not choose to use them. The only fields I could edit/select amounts from, were the various usage years for trust points I owned.
That is very interesting Will be interested to see if we read of more instances like this.

Superchief

TUG Member
Reaction score
I previously had some reservations that required trust points, but recently have been able to choose any of my points. I've also been able to call to reallocate trust point reservations to enrolled points. Most of my recent reservations allowed me to choose any combination that I wanted. Previously, I had to make sure that points for each individual night were either trust or enrolled. With the expansion of the program, it will be almost impossible for MVC to be able to keep track of the various point combinations, so I think there will be less differentiation between point types in the future.

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
I was told that there is no longer any distinction between trust and legacy points because it was too difficult to oversee and virtually impossible. Now that was a salesman talking. This made sense because if Marriott is selling bundle packages using combination of St. Kitts/Aruba weeks and their resales weeks that are now allowed in the DC program, they cannot make distinctions between trust and legacy points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
Would be interesting to see if somebody with only 2019 Legacy points can book the same 2019 week that kds4 just booked at Crystal Shores.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
kds4, if you check your reservation email from Marriott (not the MVC one), in the section where normally it would say what rate you paid, curious if it says MVC Trust or MVC Exchange.

Also, did you book this in the 13 month window?

Its been a long time for me, but it did happen years ago when booking a MGV ressie in the 13 month window that it would only accept Trust points (I wanted to use a combo of Trust and transferred Legacy) and when I got the Marriott reservation email, it said MVC Trust meaning it came directly from the Trust (where only Trust points can get at it) vs MVC Exchange (where any points can get at it).

That said, since then, 100% of all my ressie's, even those in the 13 month window, have always said MVC Exchange on them... meaning MVC is moving inventory to the Exchange very early on. Perhaps with some ressie's, they are keeping them only available to Trust owners longer. Would be interested to learn if your ressie says MVC Trust or MVC Exchange and if you were booking in the 13 month window.

Last edited:

NiteMaire

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
This is bad news. The MVC salespersons trying me to get me to consider hybrid packages and enrolling my legacy weeks said all points are the same once converted. I have been told that consistently by MVC. I have spoken to at least 3-4 different salespeople and everyone at MVC says the same thing. Is everyone at MVC lying? If this is the case, I may sell my legacy weeks and buy more DC Trust points instead once I get tired of visiting the same places EOY. It certainly would be simpler for me to manage a big bucket of DC Trust Points than a bunch of legacy weeks plus a bunch of DC Trust Points.
Simpler, but more costly I would imagine.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
Not if you buy resale points.
Maybe, but based on several threads/posts showing points and associated MFs required to reserve properties, it was/is cheaper to own a week at (some/most?) resorts. I don't have any personal experience with this since I own a post 2010 third party resale.

I'm open to being wrong, but that's my recollection of those threads.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Its been a long time for me, but it did happen years ago when booking a MGV ressie in the 13 month window that it would only accept Trust points (I wanted to use a combo of Trust and transferred Legacy) and when I got the Marriott reservation email, it said MVC Trust meaning it came directly from the Trust (where only Trust points can get at it) vs MVC Exchange (where any points can get at it).

The question I have is was that intentional. i.e., did you try calling in your reservation? Sounds like it didn't matter much since you had actual trust points. I am curious what happens if you call in, can you reserve it with non trust points or do they give you a reason why. I'd love to know.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Maybe, but based on several threads/posts showing points and associated MFs required to reserve properties, it was/is cheaper to own a week at (some/most?) resorts. I don't have any personal experience with this since I own a post 2010 third party resale.

I'm open to being wrong, but that's my recollection of those threads.
The poster was referring to buying a hybrid from Marriott vs. Pure trust points. Buying a week where you want to stay is a separate discussion.

NiteMaire

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott G. Château
HVC Sedona Summit
VVR The Colonies
The poster was referring to buying a hybrid from Marriott vs. Pure trust points. Buying a week where you want to stay is a separate discussion.
Maybe I misunderstood TravelTime. It seems she was discussing buying more points and getting rid of enrolled legacy weeks. My comment was aimed at that.

And I wasn't clear...agree buying where you want to stay is separate discussion. I was stating the MFs for enrolled legacy weeks seem to be cheaper than the MFs for equivalent number of purchased points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
The question I have is was that intentional. i.e., did you try calling in your reservation? Sounds like it didn't matter much since you had actual trust points. I am curious what happens if you call in, can you reserve it with non trust points or do they give you a reason why. I'd love to know.
This was way back in 2011, and again, as posted, I have not run into this since....but at the time, I had my Trust points and transferred Legacy points from my father in law as we were combining points for a unit we both would share.

After it would not let me book it online, I did call in and they could not book it either. They told me I could only book with actual Trust points. So my father in law, who had just transferred the Legacy points to me and I both got on a call and bitched about it. He did also have Trust points so MVC at least was gracious enough to reverse the transfer of the Legacy points, and re-transfer some of his Trust points to me. After that was done, the rep was able to book the unit with a combo of my Trust points and his transferred Trust points, and when the ressie email arrived, it said MVC Trust as the source.

As mentioned, every ressie since then has said MVC Exchange as the source. I am thinking perhaps this is an oddball that came directly from MVC Trust...and either was a fluke...or perhaps they are holding some ressies longer just for Trust owners before moving that inventory into the Exchange.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
kds4, if you check your reservation email from Marriott (not the MVC one), in the section where normally it would say what rate you paid, curious if it says MVC Trust or MVC Exchange.

Also, did you book this in the 13 month window?

That said, since then, 100% of all my ressie's, even those in the 13 month window, have always said MVC Exchange on them... meaning MVC is moving inventory to the Exchange very early on. Perhaps with some ressie's, they are keeping them only available to Trust owners longer. Would be interested to learn if your ressie says MVC Trust or MVC Exchange and if you were booking in the 13 month window.

The confirmation email says 'MVC Exchange'. My check-in dates for both units is 6/23/19. Since I made it before today, which is 1 year exactly from check-in, I assume it was considered a 13 month reservation?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVC Trust Points
The confirmation email says 'MVC Exchange'. My check-in dates for both units is 6/23/19. Since I made it before today, which is 1 year exactly from check-in, I assume it was considered a 13 month reservation?
Very strange. If it came from the MVC Exchange, it should have been able to be booked with either Trust or Legacy points.

kds4

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Very strange. If it came from the MVC Exchange, it should have been able to be booked with either Trust or Legacy points.

I may try to call in and see if I can change the points allocation. Which points source I draw from isn't critical to me, but I am curious about why I could only use 1 source for these reservations.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I may try to call in and see if I can change the points allocation. Which points source I draw from isn't critical to me, but I am curious about why I could only use 1 source for these reservations.

I think we would all appreciate that! Let us know if you do. I still think could be due to the website changes that allow us to pick which points and may be a bug. But, calling would answer that!