• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

First-time Reserving at Maui, my Experience

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Hawaiian Village - Lagoon Tower
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
I purchased an every-other-year (odd) floating week, oceanfront, 2-bed, Napili/Lahaina tower in Maui last year through Redweek. So, the time to reserve for summer 2019 arrived. I was a bit unsure how it would play out, because there's a lot of info here about having a hard time during prime times getting reservations, etc., and I had to dovetail it with my week in Oahu at the Hilton. My ideal reservation at the Marriott would be Sat-Sat (June 22-29), since that dovetails right into the Hilton's Sat-Sat. But I knew there were three other possibilities: can only get Fri-Fri, can only get Sun-Sun, or can't get the week I wanted. If I was "stuck" with Fri-Fri, it just meant I'd have to add one day to my two weeks in Hawaii and stay somewhere for a night. Not a big deal. Sun-Sun meant I'd lose one day, a bit of a disappointment if that was the outcome.

The release of the June 22, 2019, date was yesterday, Thursday June 21. The evening before I went online to see how it worked, and do a test run so I'd know what I need to do at 6:00am PST the next morning. I noted that there was a reservation still available for Fri-Fri June 14-21. That encouraged me that I'd at least be able to get my Fri-Fri (June 21-28) plan B.

Got up at 5:55am and went the computer. Logged in and chose the Book a Room option. Calendar was up on my screen by 5:58 am, and would quickly refresh. There is a "refresh" link on the calendar page, and it shows the exact time of the refresh. It matched my computer time to the second. So I just refreshed every few sec starting at about 5:59:30. I hit the 6:00:00 on the second -- and instead of refreshing, I got an "unexpected error" message! Uh oh, I thought. I kept hitting refresh, and at about 6:00:08 the calendar popped up, with Sat June 22 check-in (along with Fri-Fri and Sun-Sun) available. I quickly clicked on the 22nd, and in about 10-15 seconds had completed the reservation for Sat-Sat.

That was it. Was able to get what I wanted, 12 mo ahead. Time to start planning 2021. <g>

Last edited:

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
That’s great news - congratulations and enjoy your trip!!!

Best,

Greg

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
That’s great news - congratulations and enjoy your trip!!!

Best,

Greg
Thanks. Actually heading over there in August for a 5-day stay, paying cash (~$700/nt, 1-bedroom). A chance to check it out. Planned to do that before buying, but, well, couldn't turn down a good price opportunity, so bought sight unseen (but two friends whose judgment I trust both own there, so I wasn't taking a big chance... what really can go wrong with an oceanfront room on the beach in Maui?). Will likely buy the even-year when the recession hits and prices drop. <g>

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Getting the unexpected error message on refresh is what we call the "Pucker Factor"

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Congratulations! You will love resort and the location on Maui. Enjoy your upcoming trip too.

Best regards.

Mike

JIMinNC

TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
That was my same experience trying to book our EOY Odd 2BR OV in the original towers back in February. Nice to hear a positive booking report for OF at Lahaina/Napili. Ideally, we would like to add a second EOY Odd MOC week before the 2021 booking season opens in 2020. Been on the fence on whether to try for an EOY Odd 2BR OF in the Napili tower if one shows up on the resale market, but the horror stories of trying to book the new towers has made me wonder if a smarter move would be to look for a second unit in the original section. Your data point inspires me to maybe shoot for Napili if one comes up at the right price. Seems like 2BR OF EOY in the original section go for around $11K to 12K, but Napili EOY OF are often listed for $14K to $15K. In the scheme of things, not that much more, as long as you can book what you own.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
That was my same experience trying to book our EOY Odd 2BR OV in the original towers back in February. Nice to hear a positive booking report for OF at Lahaina/Napili. Ideally, we would like to add a second EOY Odd MOC week before the 2021 booking season opens in 2020. Been on the fence on whether to try for an EOY Odd 2BR OF in the Napili tower if one shows up on the resale market, but the horror stories of trying to book the new towers has made me wonder if a smarter move would be to look for a second unit in the original section. Your data point inspires me to maybe shoot for Napili if one comes up at the right price. Seems like 2BR OF EOY in the original section go for around $11K to 12K, but Napili EOY OF are often listed for $14K to $15K. In the scheme of things, not that much more, as long as you can book what you own.
Yes. I was actually considering buying a "low cost" garden view 1 or 2 bedroom in the original tower to be a 2-week owner to have access to the 13-month window (then either rent it or let the kids use it) if that became necessary.

BocaBoy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grand Chateau
Without question, I would try to buy a Napili Tower OF, unless you badly want to stay in your same unit for your 2 EOY weeks at the resort. The new towers are definitely harder to book, but it is clear from your posts that you plan ahead very well and would be ready when the booking windows open. Given this, you will be able to get what you want, especially since you will be able to book your two weeks consecutively at 13 months out.

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
@csodjd: Since you are now a Marriott owner, did you try using the 7VC corporate code for your August trip? A one bedroom oceanfront is approx. $525 a night with the discount.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
@csodjd: Since you are now a Marriott owner, did you try using the 7VC corporate code for your August trip? A one bedroom oceanfront is approx. $525 a night with the discount.
No. Didn't know anything about it. I'll call and see. I just used AAA 10% discount. Is that explained somewhere?

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
No. Didn't know anything about it. I'll call and see. I just used AAA 10% discount. Is that explained somewhere?
Info can be found in the Points FAQ Sticky here..... https://tugbbs.com/forums/index.php?threads/faq-mvc-destinations-points-program.197346/

But here are the guts....
***All discount rates are based on availability. There is no guarantee that any certain inventory or discount component will be available.***

Discounts for cash stays at the MVCI resorts (and very infrequently, at certain of the Marriott hotels/resorts) are capacity-controlled and based on ownership status:
•Presidential and Chairman's Club DC Members - 35% off (code "2VC")
•Executive DC Members - 30% off (code "6VC")
•Select DC Members and Weeks Owners not affiliated with the DC - 25% off (code "7VC")
*MVW has clarified for TUG (see this post) that the Chase Marriott VISA 10% discount component is no longer available: "The Owner’s Discount can no longer be combined with any other discounts or offers."

*When checking availability on marriott.com, enter the appropriate code in the "Corporate/promotional code" box under "Special Rates."

*Owners may also book discount cash stays through the owners.marriottvacationclub.com website. Sign in --> click on "Owner Benefits" under "Partners & Specials" --> click the "Enjoy 25% off ..." link under "Marriott International, Inc. Promotions." Complete all fields and click the "Search" button. (Note the code box is auto-populated with "7VC" and should be changed appropriately.)

*Note the confirmations for stays using these discounts indicate that at check-in the certain eligibility will be verified. If unable to verify eligibility the cost for the stay may revert to rack rates.

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
So the weekend rate (AAA) was $737. Now $614. The Sunday night was $629. Now. $524.

What can I say? Thanks!

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
So nice when we can help another TUG member save $$$.
Have a great time in Maui!
Silentg

csodjd

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Maui Ocean Club
Someone "owes" jtp1947 a few ice cold beverages!!! :cheer:
That would be me, and to that I say, absolutely. Seems Mai Tai's are appropriate!

jtp1947

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Marriott, Boston Custom House
Happy to help.

Last edited: