• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott Aruba Surf Club

Goaltender

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DC Points
Owner of DP purchased last year in St. Thomas before I found TUG, UGH! Stayed last month at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, again before reading about Hell week, but still had a great time. Went to another presentation and was offered a Platinum week @ Surf Club for $40K that can be converted to 4075 DP points. Wife is a beach person and really enjoys Aruba and prefers an Ocean View which is what was offered. My question is what if we were to purchase an OV Platinum week at the Surf Club resale, what is a reasonable price to expect and what are the closing costs? I see weeks on Redweek between $15K-$40K for Platinum and higher for PP weeks. I've inquired on a few and been told my closing costs including Marriott fees would only be $500! That seems low to me. Also, I was looking at a "deeded" week but also reading this group I'm seeing that Aruba is only RTU. A broker told me that the RTU will automatically be renewed in 2061 unless the government pays the developer FMV and that purchase would be split amount the owners. TIA for all advice.

infamazz

TUG Member
Reaction score
Many others can give you an in-depth cost-benefit analysis of direct purchase vs. resale of weeks and DPs. I can just say that, if you intend on returning to Aruba every year, a resale week would be the best course of action. If you want an Ocean View at the Surf Club, do not pay more than $12-$13K. Ocean Club would probably command a bit higher prices due to the fact that there are less units, but I can't imagine it being more than $15K. When you buy resale, $500 closing costs sounds about right as well. I'll leave it to others to answer more detailed questions.

Goaltender

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott DC Points
Many others can give you an in-depth cost-benefit analysis of direct purchase vs. resale of weeks and DPs. I can just say that, if you intend on returning to Aruba every year, a resale week would be the best course of action. If you want an Ocean View at the Surf Club, do not pay more than $12-$13K. Ocean Club would probably command a bit higher prices due to the fact that there are less units, but I can't imagine it being more than $15K. When you buy resale, $500 closing costs sounds about right as well. I'll leave it to others to answer more detailed questions.
Thank you!

coachBoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hilton Grand Vacations Club Sea World
Hilton Grand Vacations Club Boulevard
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Owner of DP purchased last year in St. Thomas before I found TUG, UGH! Stayed last month at Marriott Aruba Ocean Club, again before reading about Hell week, but still had a great time. Went to another presentation and was offered a Platinum week @ Surf Club for $40K that can be converted to 4075 DP points. Wife is a beach person and really enjoys Aruba and prefers an Ocean View which is what was offered. My question is what if we were to purchase an OV Platinum week at the Surf Club resale, what is a reasonable price to expect and what are the closing costs? I see weeks on Redweek between $15K-$40K for Platinum and higher for PP weeks. I've inquired on a few and been told my closing costs including Marriott fees would only be $500! That seems low to me. Also, I was looking at a "deeded" week but also reading this group I'm seeing that Aruba is only RTU. A broker told me that the RTU will automatically be renewed in 2061 unless the government pays the developer FMV and that purchase would be split amount the owners. TIA for all advice.
Don't know if you have purchased at the Aruba Surf Club yet, I just got the waiver of ROFR back on a 2BR Gold OS for 4400.00.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
Don't know if you have purchased at the Aruba Surf Club yet, I just got the waiver of ROFR back on a 2BR Gold OS for 4400.00.

Ooh that’s a great price for ocean side! Love the lighthouse tower!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coachBoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Ooh that’s a great price for ocean side! Love the lighthouse tower!

We were there this past May with friends that own there and had a blast! We wanted to buy OS because we like the Lighthouse tower. We own two HGVClub properties, this is our first Marriott.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
We were there this past May with friends that own there and had a blast! We wanted to buy OS because we like the Lighthouse tower. We own two HGVClub properties, this is our first Marriott.

You will love it! All but the maint fees :). How did you find this one if you don’t mind me asking?

coachBoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
You will love it! All but the maint fees :). How did you find this one if you don’t mind me asking?

Yeah, thought about the maint fees but with the purchase price for the 2BR OS break even in 2 years. We used points to stay in a 1BR last May. To stay next May for 7 day stay in a 1BR costs 2835.00 AAA rate. So about 1000.00 more than maint fees.

We found this on TUG for sale, asking 6500.00 but took the 4400.00 I offer, they waited about 3 weeks to respond. I saw a 2BR OS listed on Redweek for 4250.00 today but of course I am already under contract. If this was listed sooner I would have offered 3400.00 but not sure it would pass Marriott ROFR. https://www.redweek.com/posting/R783090

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
My favorite place. Enjoy!!

And I agree, btw- love the Lighthouse tower. We own a Plat OS week and a Hold week in the Compass tower (that's a 3BR so only on Compass tower). O love the 3 BE but prefer the Lighthouse tower for convenience to the beach,

coachBoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Great price! Out of curiosity did you happen to get 2018 usage?
No, usage starts in 2019; same with maint fees. We were not going to use this year anyway as we just returned from Aruba in May.

coachBoris

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
My favorite place. Enjoy!!

And I agree, btw- love the Lighthouse tower. We own a Plat OS week and a Hold week in the Compass tower (that's a 3BR so only on Compass tower). O love the 3 BE but prefer the Lighthouse tower for convenience to the beach,
Yeah, that's why we offered on the OS, saw a OV for 2900.00 but realized it would cost more in the long run to trade through II each time to get the Lighthouse Tower. We have friends that own an OS and the convenience to the beach, unloading groceries at the underground parking area near the LH check in area. So we are happy with the 4400.00 for the OS.

LUVourMarriotts

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MFV (P) 2002
MSU (G) 2006
MOW (P) 2018
Enrolled in DP +++
Question for you all: Can a resale week at Surf Club automatically be used as points, or is there some additional fee that I would have to pay Marriott? I'm talking about a 3rd party resale week. So, is a Surf Club week automatically part of the points program, or does Marriott still charge per BI to get use of the points that week offers? Thank you.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Question for you all: Can a resale week at Surf Club automatically be used as points, or is there some additional fee that I would have to pay Marriott? I'm talking about a 3rd party resale week. So, is a Surf Club week automatically part of the points program, or does Marriott still charge per BI to get use of the points that week offers? Thank you.
Is this a newly acquired resale week from the 3rd party resale market? If so, there is no "normal" process to enroll that in the points program. That said, in each of the past few summers, they have offered a limited time promotion to enroll previously non enrollable weeks with the purchase of 3000 Trust points, which would run you around $33-35K.

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World

The short answer is no. A third party resale Aruba week cannot normally participate in Points. On the other hand, based on posts like the OP in this thread, Aruba weeks purchased direct from Marriott are usually eligible for points enrollment, but those are priced like developer weeks - very high.

A third party resale Aruba week would be like any other third party resale. It is ineligible for points, except during the limited-time promotions that Fasttr mentioned above. But those require you to buy 3000 Trust points.

The per Beneficial Interest fees you mentioned in your question apply only to resale Trust points, not resale weeks.

jdg0928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club Aruba
If you want an Ocean View at the Surf Club, do not pay more than $12-$13K.

Paid $3,950 for a 2BR OV in January 2018 which included 2018 use -- I'm sitting in the unit now! Fees were $250 for closing and another $100 for transfer for a total cost of $4,300.

Happy Days

Reaction score
Hello. are all the 2 bedrooms in Aruba Surf Club Lock Off or are some regular 2 bedrooms? Thanks

jdg0928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club Aruba
I've not been in the Lighthouse building, but I'm pretty confident it's the same layout as Compass and Spyglass. If so, all of the 2BR are lockoffs. The only ones which I'm not very sure about would be Oceanfront.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Paid $3,950 for a 2BR OV in January 2018 which included 2018 use -- I'm sitting in the unit now! Fees were $250 for closing and another $100 for transfer for a total cost of $4,300.
That's the going resaled price for a Gold season week, not Platunum season..

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've not been in the Lighthouse building, but I'm pretty confident it's the same layout as Compass and Spyglass. If so, all of the 2BR are lockoffs. The only ones which I'm not very sure about would be Oceanfront.
All units are lock-offs- the 2 BR's lock off to a 1BR and studio, and the 3 BR's to a 2 BR and very large studio. Those studios are the only island view units.

jdg0928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club Aruba
That's the going resaled price for a Gold season week, not Platunum season..

Sorry if I missed the season designation. You are correct about that price being for a Gold week. I'll blame it on being relaxed and in vacation mode!

In your following post, you mention "island view units." I'm just wondering what you mean by that. I've never seen any of the rooms in that building, other than looking up from the lazy river ;)

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sorry if I missed the season designation. You are correct about that price being for a Gold week. I'll blame it on being relaxed and in vacation mode!

In your following post, you mention "island view units." I'm just wondering what you mean by that. I've never seen any of the rooms in that building, other than looking up from the lazy river ;)
All the 2BR units are OF, OS, OV or GV. However, the 3 BR units are classified as partial OV, because the 2BR master portion is OV but the studio lock-out is island view. Those are the units in the front of the building as you pull up. Higher floors have gorgeous views across the island to the ocean on the other side. They are much larger than the 2BR lock-out; almost double in size.

jdg0928

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Surf Club Aruba
All the 2BR units are OF, OS, OV or GV. However, the 3 BR units are classified as partial OV, because the 2BR master portion is OV but the studio lock-out is island view. Those are the units in the front of the building as you pull up. Higher floors have gorgeous views across the island to the ocean on the other side. They are much larger than the 2BR lock-out; almost double in size.

Ah, got it. I thought the 3BR were all at the end of Compass, as you mention, but I could never figure out the layout. We've only stayed in that building once, and it was years ago. The larger size makes sense with the connection to the rooms on the north and south side of that building. I meant to ask at the front desk when we were there but forgot. Thanks for the info!

Happy Days

Reaction score
update: i took the information and advice provided here and successfully purchased a 2 bedroom at Aruba Surf Club. I booked a week in October and I can't wait to go there and actually see what it is I purchased. Thanks again everybody for helping me understand how timeshare resales work. I probably would not have proceeded without the advice given here.

So "danki pasa bon dia" to you :)