• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is there any reason not to bank DC points early?

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find a downside of banking points, even early. Near as I can tell, it does not matter if I bank 2018 points as I can still borrow them if I need them in 2018. Is there anything that works differently, a downside to using banked points? I don't see it. Thank you in advance.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
My understanding is that points once banked cannot later be borrowed.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that points once banked cannot later be borrowed.

True, but if one has (made up number) 2,000 points every year, and, one banks 1000 of them, while they cannot borrow the 1000 they moved to the next year, they can borrow from the 2000 they get next year, meaning, nothing changes (other than they have to use them the next year). Looking for a downside. That is a slight downside potentially, depending on how many one banks. you would want to use the banked points first in the following year.

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
I suppose that might work but I suspect you would need to speak to a CSR, rather than going thru the MVC website in order to ensure that the banked points are not recognized before the borrowed points.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
Its certainly an option. As you say, the only downside is removing your ability to bank or transfer/rent your "next year points".

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
As a rule, because things change and you can’t borrow those points back, I wait until late in the game to save them. If there’s no advantage to me to save them early and there’s even the slightest bit of a chance it could come back to haunt me, why do it until I have too?

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
I also bank to the next year as our travel plans are normally set prior to my mid-year deadline. Does someone know what the banking deadline is for Sheraton? HGVC is at year end. I hate that we have a mid-year deadline to bank.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
As a rule, because things change and you can’t borrow those points back, I wait until late in the game to save them. If there’s no advantage to me to save them early and there’s even the slightest bit of a chance it could come back to haunt me, why do it until I have too?

I have a reason, but, can you use borrowed points for this year (from next year) if you have points remaining this year?

sandcfort

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
MVCI Points
Yes. You can borrow points from next year at any point. You cannot borrow points you have banked should you have a change of plans.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yep, just did so online, thanks everyone. Had not use the new improved website which allows you to pick which points you want to use.

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark
Yep, just did so online, thanks everyone. Had not use the new improved website which allows you to pick which points you want to use.
Does this mean you were able to borrow points that you had banked?

I would have answered that the downside is having to borrow next year's clean points if you'd banked this year's clean points, which I would prefer to avoid. Were you able to borrow points that you had banked?

Best,

Greg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Does this mean you were able to borrow points that you had banked?

I would have answered that the downside is having to borrow next year's clean points if you'd banked this year's clean points, which I would prefer to avoid. Were you able to borrow points that you had banked?

Best,

Greg

No, sorry, was not clear and never explained the full thought as it's not relevant. I was able to book this year using next years points even though I had more this year points, all on the new improved website. It's for a puck trick variant.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
No, sorry, was not clear and never explained the full thought as it's not relevant. I was able to book this year using next years points even though I had more this year points, all on the new improved website. It's for a puck trick variant.

You mentioned there is a reason why you want to bank points early. Can you share your thinking? Or is there a practical reason?

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Maui Ocean Club Lahaina Villas (3BRx5), Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge II, Willow Ridge, Aruba Ocean Club, DC Points HGVC: Flamingo, Sea World, I-Drive, Starwood Bella (x4), SDO, TradeWinds, Worldmark

I’m sure you’ve found a benefit from this but I’m puzzled. I think points are very valuable and borrowing next years points when you still have this years available seems unusual.

Can you expand on how it improved the situation? Thanks!

Best,

Greg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I’m sure you’ve found a benefit from this but I’m puzzled. I think points are very valuable and borrowing next years points when you still have this years available seems unusual.

Can you clarify why it improved the situation? Thanks!

Best,

Greg

Not my idea, however, if you are extending a weeks reservation (as I am) this year, and you want to use the puck trick, you want to reserve it now in advance of the 60 day discount cutoff. If you do that now, when you cancel it later since you will reserve it within 60 days for the 30% discount, you will have to use this years points within 60 days (holding account), this year. Not optimal.

If you borrow the points to extend the reservation, when you cancel it within 60 days, the points go into 2019 holding points and you have all year to use them. Even better, if you cancel those borrowed points and have the rep use them for the within 60 days discount, then, only 30% of those go into holding status for 2019. The rest are used to book the within 60 day discount, which is what they are for anyway.

mjm1

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Nice! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Best regards.

Mike

GregT

TUG Member
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So the benefit is a longer use period for the holding points generated by the Puck Trick? Understood - you get to name it since you’ve published it!!! Thanks for posting!

Best,

Greg

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
So the benefit is a longer use period for the holding points generated by the Puck Trick? Understood - you get to name it since you’ve published it!!! Thanks for posting!

Best,

Greg

No, the idea is an old one. I learned about the borrowed points version from vacationforever.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Not my idea, however, if you are extending a weeks reservation (as I am) this year, and you want to use the puck trick, you want to reserve it now in advance of the 60 day discount cutoff. If you do that now, when you cancel it later since you will reserve it within 60 days for the 30% discount, you will have to use this years points within 60 days (holding account), this year. Not optimal.

If you borrow the points to extend the reservation, when you cancel it within 60 days, the points go into 2019 holding points and you have all year to use them. Even better, if you cancel those borrowed points and have the rep use them for the within 60 days discount, then, only 30% of those go into holding status for 2019. The rest are used to book the within 60 day discount, which is what they are for anyway.

This sounds like advanced timesharing to me! I am still on TS 101.