• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

[ 2018 ] Do you own a desirable Timeshare with a lower Maintenance fee cost?

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
We've wondered if there are any very well-managed and maintained, quiet beachfront resorts in the Carolinas or southwest FL Gulf coast... with low maintenance fees. I worry that if the MF doesn't support a healthy reserve fund and an excellent insurance policy, storm damage would result in a huge assessment. But we'd love to get a couple beachfront weeks for our family's use (not trading) as we approach retirement.

What's a "low" MF for southeast beachfront - 1BR, 2BR, 3BR?

dandjane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Walk (Platinum UDI) Wyndham Access (Platinum trust), Wyndham National Harbor (Platinum UDI), HGVC Deed at Kingsland, HI, HGV Max (Premiere Plus) Trust
This is not a "low" MF, but a 2 BR at Wyndham OceanWalk in Daytona Beach during Prime Season is 203K points, which at $6.34/1,000 (Club Wyn Access) or $6.39 (U.D.I.) amounts to $1,287 or $1,297. A 1 BR at 140K points is $887 or $894, and a 3 BR at 266K points is $1,686 or $1,700. For shoulder , low, and "value" seasons, it's less. Maybe one gets what one pays for.........BTW, Oceanwalk pulled through the 2 consecutive years of hurricane strikes with very brief out-of-service times, and due to the Wyndham blanket insurance policy, no special assessments. For most this is a ridiculous MF, but it works for me, as I specialize in Special Event rentals, which command a nice premium.

bothellbill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Kihei Akahi Maui 1bd $810 , 2 bd $895. If you go in winter and rent it would be three time that MF. However there is no sales organization. You need to work directly with the association.

stumahlin

TUG Member
Reaction score
Harbortown Point Resort in Ventura, CA, is a bargain to buy and a bargain to own with its very reasonable maintenance fees. Great trade, too.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
We've wondered if there are any very well-managed and maintained, quiet beachfront resorts in the Carolinas or southwest FL Gulf coast... with low maintenance fees. I worry that if the MF doesn't support a healthy reserve fund and an excellent insurance policy, storm damage would result in a huge assessment. But we'd love to get a couple beachfront weeks for our family's use (not trading) as we approach retirement.

What's a "low" MF for southeast beachfront - 1BR, 2BR, 3BR?
I've got Fixed Week 33 at Egrets Pointe, a part of Wyndham Ocean Ridge at Edisto Island SC. When I bought it, about 10 years ago for $1500, maintenance fees were under $600. They are now probably in the $700s, although the last two years have had a temporary additional assessment mostly to cover repairs from Hurricane Matthew.

Although these units are on the grounds of Wyndham Ocean Ridge, with access to all Wyndham amenities (except Wi-Fi), they are managed by an independent local HOA, a result of the way the area was developed.

Edisto Island (a barrier island like Outer Banks or Hilton Head) has very restrictive zoning, to keep things rural. Nothing over two stories is permitted and the number of retail establishments is strictly controlled. Week 33 is after the South Carolina schools have resumed in the fall and before the North Carolina schools have resumed. As a result, the town is so quiet that it is safe to ride bicycles down the center of the main drag.

I don't use it as much as I used to--travel desires have changed--but my son and his family love it and have used it every year. Sometimes his father-in-law comes to enjoy free golfing on the Wyndham course.

Larry

marfjam

TUG Member
Reaction score
4 floating red weeks, 2 bedroom beachfront villa on the Costa del Sol, Spain, €225 (~$265 US) per week per year. And that price hasn't gone up now for 8 years. As far as desirability goes, in the years when we don't visit our home resort, with some careful juggling in II we can usually turn the 4 weeks into 8 to 9 weeks vacation.

kc01075

TUG Member
Reaction score
Low maintenance fees may be a sign of boards under funding their reserve account for long term asset replacement/repairs. Additionally, they may not be doing normal repairs on a timely basis. Be sure to look at the year end audited report and compare the restricted asset reserve to the reserve study. Also look at what has happened to bad debts for the last 3-5 years to determine what could happened in the next several years. The answers may be an indication of special assessments or rapid assessment increase for the future. What may be a bargain today may be costly in the future.

Kapolei

Reaction score
Low maintenance fees may be a sign of boards under funding their reserve account for long term asset replacement/repairs. Additionally, they may not be doing normal repairs on a timely basis. Be sure to look at the year end audited report and compare the restricted asset reserve to the reserve study. Also look at what has happened to bad debts for the last 3-5 years to determine what could happened in the next several years. The answers may be an indication of special assessments or rapid assessment increase for the future. What may be a bargain today may be costly in the future.

I own Ocean Landings just for being one of the cheapest. Seems to be managed well. Suffered hurricane damage to a couple buildings. But no special assessments. The other one I have looked at is Stoneridge in Idaho. Seems well managed. Both of these have sub $300 maint. fees. These don’t fit the present topic because I would have no plans to stay in them.

JerseyJim434

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Oyster Pointe 11weeks
Oyster Pointe and Oyster Bay in Sebastian FL. 2 bedrooms, use of a Boat and Motor ($100/week), nice legacy resort, updates. MF approx $470/ week

brg

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have owned a 2 weeks at "Lifetime in Hawaii" for a number of years. The MF are $540 per week for the one bedroom units , the only size they have. I have used them to trade on RCI. I can get up to 42 TPU's for each week, depending on what week I can reserve. That comes to only $12.85 per TPU, and since the units are long term lease there is no surprise assessments. This is a great bargain and they usually have some units for sale at a bargain price.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Oyster Pointe and Oyster Bay in Sebastian FL. 2 bedrooms, use of a Boat and Motor ($100/week), nice legacy resort, updates. MF approx $470/ week
Sent you a PM

Last edited:

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
I agree with this, one of our low maintenance timeshares, is assessing each owner $100.00. To replace fire places. The Pines in Baysie VA. Not that bad, but if Maintenence was higher they wouldn’t have to borrow money from the bank.
Silentg

marijalas

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Through another thread I posted, the importance of maintenance fees came up in a post so I decided this might be interesting to start.

Do you own a desirable Timeshare with a lower Maintenance fee cost?

I will start. (Update-added a few more)

Jade Tree Cove, Myrtle Beach 1 br $485 beachfront

Chetola, Blowing Rock NC , 1 br $577

Blue Ridge Village, Banner Elk NC,1 br $566

Sunrise Bay and Club, Marco Island FL, 1 br $765 gulf front

Gulf Tides, Longboat Key FL, 2 br $727 resort beachfront

Our fees at Sheraton Vistana are $822.39 for a 2 BR. That is with all taxes and fees. I went onto VRBO and they average $200 a night for a 2Br. So ours definitely works out in our favor. Plus we go with family - Priceless.

MrockStar

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I almost gave away my best flexible Timeshare it’s only a studio, but it’s on Cape Cod and the Maintenence is just a bit over $400.00 Next year we are going in October instead of May. I called the Holly Tree Resort and they said my unit was available for the week I wanted.
We have traded it for other places it has a very high TPU of 21 .Some of my one bedrooms are not that high in TPU.
Silentg
That's a very good TPU for a studio Unit.

bobpark56

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar, Westin Aventuras, Marriott Grande Vista, Sandos Caracol, Festiva, Diamond Resorts (Hawaii Collection)
Sandos Caracol: Annual maintenance fee $299 for a 1BR unit. They make up for it in part with increasing AI fees, but overall it's still relatively a bargain. And we can stay up to 4 weeks a year if we desire. A 4-star to 4.5-star resort, especially when one has access to the VIP Club.

Crercuda909

Reaction score
4 floating red weeks, 2 bedroom beachfront villa on the Costa del Sol, Spain, €225 (~$265 US) per week per year. And that price hasn't gone up now for 8 years. As far as desirability goes, in the years when we don't visit our home resort, with some careful juggling in II we can usually turn the 4 weeks into 8 to 9 weeks vacation.

Hi
Sounds fantastic

Can you tell me where this resort is and it’s name ?
I’m Canadian but Spanish from birth and we visit Spain frequently

thanks

Víctor temprano
[personal info redactedto protect your privacy]

DeniseM

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV, WKV, 2-SDO, 4-Kauai Beach Villas, Island Park Village (Yellowstone), Hyatt High Sierra, Dolphin's Cove (Anaheim)
Please note that this thread is from 2018.

marfjam

TUG Member
Reaction score
It's OK., I'm still here :). (Seems TUG BBS notifications never forget.)

It's Club Tropicana in Nerja. And it's now three more years since the fees went up. (Though we did get a one-off charge to have new streetlights installed and have the road resurfaced.) I don't know if they're still taking on new timeshare owners -- most of their business is around selling outright ownership or quarter shares. I also suspect the very low fees we pay is something to do with being an owner there for 32 years! But they do have a website at https://clubtropicananerja.net/ if you want to investgate. Give Emma or Paul a ring and they'll tell you what's what.

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
Please note that this thread is from 2018.
So funny because my fees have gone way up since this thread started in 2018. I pay $962 for my summer Val Chatelle weeks and have an entire thread complaining about the high fees at Blue Ridge Village for 2022, which are $1,127.34. That is so crazy.

nerodog

TUG Member
Reaction score
Royal Dunes Resort maintenance fees are $885 a year but I consider that cheap for a 3 bedroom/3 bath unit a short walk to the beach on Hilton Head. Units are well maintained with every building getting a planned makeover every 5 years.
Great resort. I enjoyed my stay here and the units were spacious.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Enchanted Isle.
Update, we only have 3 weeks of timeshare now. Looking to give away the Pines in 2023.
Will post an add when we get closer to the availability.

Crercuda909

Reaction score
It's OK., I'm still here :). (Seems TUG BBS notifications never forget.)

It's Club Tropicana in Nerja. And it's now three more years since the fees went up. (Though we did get a one-off charge to have new streetlights installed and have the road resurfaced.) I don't know if they're still taking on new timeshare owners -- most of their business is around selling outright ownership or quarter shares. I also suspect the very low fees we pay is something to do with being an owner there for 32 years! But they do have a website at https://clubtropicananerja.net/ if you want to investgate. Give Emma or Paul a ring and they'll tell you what's what.

Thank you! We will do and ill let you know