• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Colorado Property/Location Advice

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV, SDO, WLR, So Cal Beach Club
Hi all,

I'm looking for some input on which Vistana resort to try out in Colorado next summer. Here are some details:
  • Likely it will just be me and my husband
  • He likes hiking; I'm ok with short'ish ones
  • I like going to historical sites/museums/houses/antique stores (I can do this while he's going on longer hikes)
  • We don't need a fancy place, but would like a view from the balcony if possible (I see that some of resorts offer mountain views for additional SOs; would we likely still get a good view as elite owners going during summer?)
  • We would lIke to be able to walk to dinner
Thanks for your help!

Glorian

Cornell

TUG Member
Reaction score
The Westin Riverfront hard to get into. Keep in mind that that Sheraton Mountain Vista doesn't have AC. Sheraton Mt. Vista is right by Beaver Creek which is a ski resort. It's not an "old" Colorado town, rather a manufactured village for the resort. Lots of hiking nearby for all age levels, but the type of shopping you want isn't right there. Breckenridge is an hour away that you could go to for a day trip. Your husband could hike and you'd love the town -- old historical town with interesting sites, antiques, boutiques, etc. You could also stay at the Sheraton in Steamboat..Steamboat has a vibe like Breckenridge. It's an old town with the things you are looking for. I Just find that Steamboat is a pain to get to. If AC is an issue, I'd check into that property about that. I'm not sure if it has AC or not. Lots of mountain resorts, hotels don't offer AC !

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
The Westin Riverfront hard to get into. Keep in mind that that Sheraton Mountain Vista doesn't have AC. Sheraton Mt. Vista is right by Beaver Creek which is a ski resort. It's not an "old" Colorado town, rather a manufactured village for the resort. Lots of hiking nearby for all age levels, but the type of shopping you want isn't right there. Breckenridge is an hour away that you could go to for a day trip. Your husband could hike and you'd love the town -- old historical town with interesting sites, antiques, boutiques, etc. You could also stay at the Sheraton in Steamboat..Steamboat has a vibe like Breckenridge. It's an old town with the things you are looking for. I Just find that Steamboat is a pain to get to. If AC is an issue, I'd check into that property about that. I'm not sure if it has AC or not. Lots of mountain resorts, hotels don't offer AC !

AC is not the only thing Sheraton Mountain Vista lacks. The villas also lack any dressers or drawers for your clothes. We stayed there for a week in June 2015 and had to live out of suitcases for the week. It also lacks onsite dining (except for a poorly run deli). We said never again.

We just completed a stay at the Westin Riverfront in July and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, we were only able to secure four consecutive nights at the Villas and spent two additional nights at the hotel. If we had wanted to stay at Sheraton Mountain Vista, it was completely open during our stay.

Last edited:

Coloradorunner

Tug Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sheraton Mountain Vista
Sheraton Desert Oasis
If you’re open to exchanging into a property, there are a lot more options to consider - nice Hyatt’s in Aspen, Beaver Creek and Vail, there are Marriotts in Vail and Breckenridge and other brands as well, such as the Grand resorts in Breckenridge - Grand timer lodge, Grand lodge peak 7, and the new Colorado Grand peak 8. If you only want a Vistana property, Westin Riverfront in Avon is the newest and nicest, but you have to drive to Vail and up to Beaver Creek. The Sheraton Steamboat is right on the mountain.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
If you’re open to exchanging into a property, there are a lot more options to consider - nice Hyatt’s in Aspen, Beaver Creek and Vail, there are Marriotts in Vail and Breckenridge and other brands as well, such as the Grand resorts in Breckenridge - Grand timer lodge, Grand lodge peak 7, and the new Colorado Grand peak 8. If you only want a Vistana property, Westin Riverfront in Avon is the newest and nicest, but you have to drive to Vail and up to Beaver Creek. The Sheraton Steamboat is right on the mountain.

For the Westin Riverfront in Avon, there are quite a few nice dinner places within walking distance. Additionally, the Westin shuttle has regularly scheduled departures and pickups from both Vail and Beaver Creek.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I appreciate all of your advice! It sounds like the Westin Riverfront might be the best option for us.

PamMo

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
The Hyatt Residence Club in Beaver Creek is great, but is doesn't have air-conditioning either. It's a short walk to trailheads on the mountain, though. And there are restaurants, shops, concerts in the park, and summer ice skating in Beaver Creek!

zinger1457

Reaction score
For the Westin Riverfront in Avon, there are quite a few nice dinner places within walking distance. Additionally, the Westin shuttle has regularly scheduled departures and pickups from both Vail and Beaver Creek.

I thought the shuttle only operated that route during the ski season, not the summer time. It is a fairly short walk to the Beaver Creek parking area where you can catch a shuttle up to the village. I would also look at trading into Breckenridge, everything is nearby and a better town atmosphere IMO.

JohnPaul

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Internationale, HGVC - NYC, Worldmark, Shell Vacations, Sedona Pines, RCI Points, Starwood (Avon, CO)
AC is not the only thing Sheraton Mountain Vista lacks. The villas also lack any dressers or drawers for your clothes. We stayed there for a week in June 2015 and had to live out of suitcases for the week.

We stayed during ski season 2017 and they claimed they were replacing the bench at the foot of the bed with one that has drawers. We will see if that happened when we stay next February.

It is kind of hard to believe a designer could make such a big miss. As I recall there weren't even shelves in the closet which is sometimes the answer to no/limited drawers.

finnmap

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin Lagunamar
Westin Mission Hills
as also lack any dressers or drawers for your clothes. We stayed there for a week in June 2015 and had to live out of suitcases for the week. It also lacks onsite dining (except for a poorly run deli). We said never again.

We just completed a stay at the Westin Riverfront in July and thoroughly enjoyed it. However, we were only able to secure four consecutive nights at the Villas and spent two additional nights at the hotel. If we had wanted to stay at Sheraton Mountain Vista, it was completely open during our stay.[/QUOTE]

We just returned from Sher Mt Vista. Lack of AC was an issue as they are having a warmish summer. They do have drawers in the rooms for your clothing. No dressers, per se, but the 'thingy' (bench?) at the foot of the bed does have 4 large drawers.
Westin would be better but is harder to get in.
Do the ski lift at Beaver Creek. You can buy the 'lunch package' but all it does is prepay $15 for a $15 lunch. It is not a discounted price.
Vail is 10 minutes or so down the road and worth seeing. Vail has a Sunday market which is well worth attending. Very big.

Be ready for the thin air, especially at the top of Beaver Creek. They do sell 'canned' oxygen. The National Mining Hall of Fame and Museum, about an hour away in Leadville, is good if you like historical sites. Plenty of restaurants there also.

grgs

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks for the additional info!

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
I thought the shuttle only operated that route during the ski season, not the summer time. It is a fairly short walk to the Beaver Creek parking area where you can catch a shuttle up to the village. I would also look at trading into Breckenridge, everything is nearby and a better town atmosphere IMO.

We were there in July and I wrote the post while looking at the June - September shuttle schedule.