• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Little things...

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
I recently purchased two small contracts through eBay, waiting patiently for them to be mine (a few month wait I imagine). Id like to maximize how much I get out of this lifestyle. I just had a few small questions for the more experienced Tuggers out there.

1) have any of you had trouble booking a Rhode Island resort during summer during a standard reservation window? I read one thread which said it's nearly impossible. I've been stalking Rhode Island through my inlaws account, and so far it doesn't seem super difficult to get in, but then again, I can't see July.

2) if exchanging into RCI, how exactly does that work? Do I deposit a certain number of Wyndham points, or do I book a Wyndham resort in a high demand area and deposit that week? What kind of inventory does RCI have? Again, its not a priority, but if they had summer resorts in Maryland or Delaware near the beach, I would probably be interested occasionally.

Sandi Bo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham
If you keep an eye on Newport, you can find it, especially if a 1 bedroom unit works for you, and especially if you don't care which resort.

I've probably booked it 10 times in the last 3 years, for myself or another relative, and most every time last minute. Especially watch at 15-20 days out with a little diligence.

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased two small contracts through eBay, waiting patiently for them to be mine (a few month wait I imagine). Id like to maximize how much I get out of this lifestyle. I just had a few small questions for the more experienced Tuggers out there.

1) have any of you had trouble booking a Rhode Island resort during summer during a standard reservation window? I read one thread which said it's nearly impossible. I've been stalking Rhode Island through my inlaws account, and so far it doesn't seem super difficult to get in, but then again, I can't see July.

2) if exchanging into RCI, how exactly does that work? Do I deposit a certain number of Wyndham points, or do I book a Wyndham resort in a high demand area and deposit that week? What kind of inventory does RCI have? Again, its not a priority, but if they had summer resorts in Maryland or Delaware near the beach, I would probably be interested occasionally.

Off season is pretty easy to book. Summer is harder. I have been lucky at the end of August - mainly at Long Wharf.

Lisa P

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Wyndham Points
Summer is harder but not impossible. IOW, either go online right around the beginning of the 10-month standard reservation window for your dates or check daily for last minute cancellations. This is how it is at the very most popular destinations and dates. If you expect to frequently vacation there and then, it's worth considering a home resort purchase to accomplish this. If you don't mind scheduling this way, or your destinations will vary, any points will do.

For example, right now, it's about a week or two into the 10-month mark for reserving a 4-night weekend or the full week including Memorial Day weekend. For either reservation, there are 3 Newport resorts with 1BR availability and 2 other Newport area resorts with 2BR availability. Easy-peasy. But once the northeastern schools let out for the summer (mid- to late-June), I would check within a day or so of the window opening because there are fewer owners who have converted their prime summer weeks to points and more people seeking those reservations.

To exchange via RCI, we usually place an OnGoing Search (OGS) request without depositing our points. When it matches, we confirm and they move the needed amount of points over from our Wyndham account to RCI. If we have points that are going to expire before we can use them, we deposit those into RCI as well.

To deposit them in RCI, go online at Wyndham and click on:
the banner link, My Ownership, and..
the tab, Exchanges, and...
the link to Deposit your Points into RCI today.

You may make an RCI deposit in increments of 1,000 points with a minimum of 10,000 at a time. Points in RCI with different expiration dates are combined when you exchange and they use the ones with the earliest expiration date first. There's a grid/chart on the Wyndham website showing the amount of points usually required to confirm a unit/season week-long exchange.

To find the exchange grid/chart, go online at Wyndham and click on:
the banner link, Owner 101, and..
under the tab, Knowledge Base, scroll down to My Additional Vacation Options, and click on...
the Exchange Options link to Interval International Request First > (not sure why the grid is not available on the RCI link at this time).
upload_2018-8-6_9-2-51.png

Again, this grid shows the amount of points you'll need to have available to confirm an exchange. You don't need to make deposits in these amounts in advance.

Last edited:

paxsarah

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Ocean Boulevard, Flagstaff, Grand Desert
But once the northeastern schools let out for the summer (mid- to late-June), I would check within a day or so of the window opening

I would check at midnight at 10 months exactly.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We exchanged into Wyndham Bay Voyage in Jamestown, RI in November 2014. It was off season, but we went up for a wedding. One bedroom on the other side of the bridge from Newport.Resturant
Jamestown was very nice. I’m sure it is harder to get a week here in the summer.
Silentg

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Some people want to think that Wyndham "points are points" so buy at the lowest maintenance fee resorts, but ARP has its privileges at certain resorts during certain times.

ARP has its privileges, but you pay dearly for them, whether you use them or not.

If you own 500K points @ $4.50/1K and 500K points @ $6.50/1K to get ARP at various resorts, you can look at this in 2 ways:

1000K points @ $5.50

1000K points @ $4.50 plus a $1000/year fixed fee for ARP privileges

I would contend that the second one is closer to reality, since you pay the $1000 whether you use the points for ARP reservations or not. I would guess there are many people that could get rid of their more expensive points used for ARP reservations and just fork out money for a rental if they don't use all of their more expensive ports for ARP reservations every single year.

If you only make one 200K ARP reservation in a year, the first method puts your cost at $1100 for that reservation, but the second method puts your cost at $1900.

-Scott

Last edited:

CO skier

TUG Member
Reaction score
ARP has its privileges, but you pay dearly for them, whether you use them or not.
Every owners' situation is different. I have used my ARP privileges for every reservation but two over the past 10 years. I knew nothing about ARP when I won the EBay auctions. It was only later that I learned how buying "where I want to vacation" proved so fortuitous.

My maintenance fees are a bargain, because I reserve units at the highest demand times. The three and four bedroom units I reserve are not available at 10 months. That makes ARP priceless to me, and your analysis irrelevant in my case.

For someone who always books their vacations within 10 months, that is a completely different world from mine, and there would be no reason to own at any specific resort. Each owner needs to determine which world they will vacation in, or buy Club Wyndham Access just in case they someday need ARP somewhere.

ronparise

TUG Member
Reaction score

If you own 500K points @ $4.50/1K and 500K points @ $6.50/1K to get ARP at various resorts, you can look at this in 2 ways:

1000K points @ $5.50

1000K points @ $4.50 plus a $1000/year fixed fee for ARP

I would contend that the second one is closer to reality, since you pay the $1000 whether you use the points for ARP or not. I would guess there are many people that could get rid of their ARP points and just fork out money for a rental if they don't use all of the ARP points every single year.

If you only make one 200K ARP reservation in a year, the first method puts your cost at $1100 for that reservation, but the second method puts your cost at $1900.

-Scott

Scott wants to break your maintenance fee bill into two components. 1) The fee for points used to make reservations at resorts other than the one you own at 10 months and 2) the fee paid for ARP at your home resort. You cant own wyndham points without the arp benefit. So to break your maintenance fee bill into two categories makes no sense and shows that Scott has no idea just how Wyndham works

Club Wyndham plus is an exchange club. I can take my "use rights" at a property I own to make a reservation at a resort I dont own using points as the medium of exchange. Thats the benefit of owning Club Wyndham points and we pay for that benefit. but not with a portion of our maintenance fees. We pay for the exchange benefit by paying a separate fee called the program fee. To be clear, our maintenance fees are assessed by the resort and ultimately paid to the resort for the operations of the resort. The program fee is paid to the club and it's the club that makes exchanges possible or said in a different way; reservations at 13 months is what you get at your home resort, and you do not pay extra to stay at your own property. Reservations at 10 months is the extra benefit you get for membership in the club and you do pay for that benefit

now Scotts question is a valid one. (Its just that using ARP to make his case makes no sense). The question as I understand it is this: Is it more cost effective to own or rent vacation accommodations. and CoSkier has given him his answer

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Every owners' situation is different. I have used my ARP privileges for every reservation but two over the past 10 years. I knew nothing about ARP when I won the EBay auctions. It was only later that I learned how buying "where I want to vacation" proved so fortuitous.

My maintenance fees are a bargain, because I reserve units at the highest demand times. The three and four bedroom units I reserve are not available at 10 months. That makes ARP priceless to me, and your analysis irrelevant in my case.

For someone who always books their vacations within 10 months, that is a completely different world from mine, and there would be no reason to own at any specific resort. Each owner needs to determine which world they will vacation in, or buy Club Wyndham Access just in case they someday need ARP somewhere.

If you use ARP for all reservations, then you are in good shape - your cost is the same for both methods. It's when you mix ARP and non-ARP reservations that you run into allocation issues that can skew the cost of one reservation vs. the other, which has an impact when you book for family/friends, do rentals, or even make a rent vs. using your points decision for an individual reservation.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott wants to break your maintenance fee bill into two components. 1) The fee for points used to make reservations at resorts other than the one you own at 10 months and 2) the fee paid for ARP at your home resort. You cant own wyndham points without the arp benefit. So to break your maintenance fee bill into two categories makes no sense and shows that Scott has no idea just how Wyndham works

Club Wyndham plus is an exchange club. I can take my "use rights" at a property I own to make a reservation at a resort I dont own using points as the medium of exchange. Thats the benefit of owning Club Wyndham points and we pay for that benefit. but not with a portion of our maintenance fees. We pay for the exchange benefit by paying a separate fee called the program fee. To be clear, our maintenance fees are assessed by the resort and ultimately paid to the resort for the operations of the resort. The program fee is paid to the club and it's the club that makes exchanges possible or said in a different way; reservations at 13 months is what you get at your home resort, and you do not pay extra to stay at your own property. Reservations at 10 months is the extra benefit you get for membership in the club and you do pay for that benefit

now Scotts question is a valid one. (Its just that using ARP to make his case makes no sense). The question as I understand it is this: Is it more cost effective to own or rent vacation accommodations. and CoSkier has given him his answer

Of course all points have ARP privileges, but only some resorts/weeks need ARP in order to have availability to book a reservation and others do not. If you book a reservation at 13 months out and the same reservation is still available at 10 months, you didn't need ARP - you could rebook using points from another resort and get your more expensive points back for using for reservations that actually need ARP (at a cost of $19 for non-VIP, but for a 200K reservation at $2/1K more in maintenance, that's a $400 savings).

If all of your points have the same maintenance cost, then the distinction doesn't matter, but in my example, an owner has 500K points with low maintenance (at resorts where they don't book and/or don't need ARP) and 500K points with higher maintenance that were purchased specifically for ARP privileges. When you mix ARP and non-ARP reservations at significantly different maintenance $/1K, you run into allocation issues that can skew the cost of one reservation vs. the other, which has an impact when you book for family/friends, do rentals, or even make a rent vs. using your points decision for an individual reservation.

-Scott

Last edited:

Richelle

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham National Harbor
Wyndham Canterbury
Wyndham Atlanta
Bay Club of Sandestin
Williamsburg Plantation
Some people want to think that Wyndham "points are points" so buy at the lowest maintenance fee resorts, but ARP has its privileges at certain resorts during certain times.
I’ve never had a problem booking 10 months out, so I keep my points at National harbor for the low MF. Obviously, if you want a four bedroom presidential during bike week in Daytona, you better be online at midnight at the 13 month mark, which means you need ARP. If you want a one bedroom, your odds are fairly good at 10 months. It just may not be at the resort closest to the action. If your flexible, you won’t need ARP most of the time. Also, just because you have ARP doesn’t mean you have access to all the inventory. CWA only has Access to CWA designated inventory. So if only 10 rooms are CWA, you’re competing with a lot of owners for that inventory if you are CWA. The same can be said for deeded. The whole darn system is a crap shoot.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Of course all points have ARP, but only some resorts/weeks need ARP in order to have availability to book a reservation and others do not. If you book a reservation at 13 months out and the same reservation is still available at 10 months, you didn't need ARP - you could rebook using points from another resort and get your more expensive ARP points back (at a cost of $19 for non-VIP, but for a 200K reservation at $2/1K more in maintenance, that's a $400 savings).

If all of your points have the same maintenance cost, then the distinction doesn't matter, but in my example, an owner has 500K points with low maintenance (at resorts where they don't book and/or don't need ARP) and 500K points with higher maintenance that were purchased specifically for ARP. When you mix ARP and non-ARP reservations at significantly different maintenance $/1K, you run into allocation issues that can skew the cost of one reservation vs. the other, which has an impact when you book for family/friends, do rentals, or even make a rent vs. using your points decision for an individual reservation.

-Scott

Scott in spite of Ron and OP tying to explain you still aren't getting how Wyndham works. As a non Wyndham owner who has never used the system you have no business answering other people's questions when you are confusing them and giving incorrect information.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with anyone asking questions. However when you start answering other people's questions, especially new people, it appears that you are presenting yourself as a knowledgeable and what would seem to other people as a trusted source of information. That both crosses a line and doesn't help.

Last edited:

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
you could rebook using points from another resort and get your more expensive ARP points back

When you mix ARP and non-ARP reservations at significantly different maintenance $/1K,
-Scott

There is no such thing as ARP points. Saying that will confuse people.

There are maintenance fees. That is what you are paying. There is no premium cost for "ARP." You pay for the maintenance of the place you own. In CWA's case, you pay the average of all of the maintenance fees for the inventory placed in the club. You are not paying a premium cost.

Many of the less desirable locations have high MF/$1K. Many desirable locations have low MF/$1K - often because it costs more points to stay there. There is a lot more to consider than purely numbers here.

ecwinch

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Harbour Point (HP), Kauai Beach Villas, Riverside Suites, WorldMark Pts (WM), Wyndham Pts
Scott in spite of Ron and OP tying to explain you still aren't getting how Wyndham works. As a non Wyndham owner who has never used the system you have no business answering other people's questions when you are confusing them and giving
incorrect information.

P.S. There is nothing wrong with anyone asking questions. However when you start answering other people's questions, especially new people, it appears that you are presenting yourself as a knowledgeable and what would seem to other people as a trusted source of information. That both crosses a line and doesn't help.

Scott - dovetailing into Jan's last point, you might considered including some disclaimer in your replies offering advice that alert reader's that you are not a Club Wyndham member and have never used the system - ie. that your knowledge is not first hand. I am sure you might feel the same way if Jan jumped into the HIVC group on FB and started offering advice.

IMHO and not with my moderator hat on.

HitchHiker71

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Outer Banks Beach Club I (PIC Plus)
Colonies at Williamsburg (PIC Plus)
CWA VIP Gold (718k EY)
National Harbor Resale (689k)
Of course all points have ARP, but only some resorts/weeks need ARP in order to have availability to book a reservation and others do not. If you book a reservation at 13 months out and the same reservation is still available at 10 months, you didn't need ARP - you could rebook using points from another resort and get your more expensive ARP points back (at a cost of $19 for non-VIP, but for a 200K reservation at $2/1K more in maintenance, that's a $400 savings).

If all of your points have the same maintenance cost, then the distinction doesn't matter, but in my example, an owner has 500K points with low maintenance (at resorts where they don't book and/or don't need ARP) and 500K points with higher maintenance that were purchased specifically for ARP. When you mix ARP and non-ARP reservations at significantly different maintenance $/1K, you run into allocation issues that can skew the cost of one reservation vs. the other, which has an impact when you book for family/friends, do rentals, or even make a rent vs. using your points decision for an individual reservation.

-Scott

AFAIK, I have 210k CWA developer points, and 508k PIC points annually. All of those points qualify as CWA points for ARP. My MFs on those 508k PIC points are $1591.00 annually this year, plus 0.58/1000 points for the fees, for a total of $1885.64. I'm at $3.71/1000 points on MFs for the PIC contracts, and $5.77 plus fees for my 210k points. I therefore have ARP at 66 resorts across all 718k annual points if I'm understanding things correctly?

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
There is no such thing as ARP points. Saying that will confuse people.

There are maintenance fees. That is what you are paying. There is no premium cost for "ARP." You pay for the maintenance of the place you own. In CWA's case, you pay the average of all of the maintenance fees for the inventory placed in the club. You are not paying a premium cost.

Many of the less desirable locations have high MF/$1K. Many desirable locations have low MF/$1K - often because it costs more points to stay there. There is a lot more to consider than purely numbers here.

In my example, an owner owns 500K points @ $4.50/1K ("buying at the lowest maintenance fee resorts"), but those points are at resorts where the owner doesn't go, so they can only book at 10 months (the owner still has ARP but the ARP is not usable to him).

The owner wants ARP at specific resorts, so for their next 500K points, they look for points at those resorts. If the minimum maintenance at the resorts they want ARP at is $6.50/1K, I would call that a premium of $2/1K ($6.50-$4.50).

Only the owner can say whether the ARP at resorts for the more expensive points is worth $1000, the only thing I can do is provide a framework for how to think about that cost.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott in spite of Ron and OP tying to explain you still aren't getting how Wyndham works. As a non Wyndham owner who has never used the system you have no business answering other people's questions when you are confusing them and giving incorrect information.

ARP is not unique to Wyndham - the same concept exists in all points timeshare systems that I am aware of (aka Home Resort Priority). Nothing in my response was Wyndham-specific. If there are specific differences in the Wyndham system that I am missing, then highlighting those would be helpful.

I didn't see that the OP was even asking about ARP? I responded to CO skier's assertion that ARP is important with a caveat that ARP is expensive (to be more precise, ARP at specific resorts requires owning points from those resorts, and the maintenance of those points is often much higher than the lowest maintenance points).

-Scott

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
In my example, an owner owns 500K points @ $4.50/1K ("buying at the lowest maintenance fee resorts"), but those points are at resorts where the owner doesn't go, so they can only book at 10 months (the owner still has ARP but the ARP is not usable to him).

The owner wants ARP at specific resorts, so for their next 500K points, they look for points at those resorts. If the minimum maintenance at the resorts they want ARP at is $6.50/1K, I would call that a premium of $2/1K ($6.50-$4.50).

Only the owner can say whether the ARP at resorts for the more expensive points is worth $1000, the only thing I can do is provide a framework for how to think about that cost.

-Scott

You can throw all the calculations around you want, there is no such thing as ARP points. You pay maintenance fees for maintenance, not ARP premiums. You will confuse people who are here to look for answers if you don't look past the numbers. CO skier explained the same theory using simple terminology that will NOT confuse novices. Points are points for some, but ARP is important and worth higher maintenance fees for others. Calling points "ARP points" and "non ARP points" adds a level of confusion not necessary to explain the concept. And now, people will also think there is some $1000 charge for ARP to top it off.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
ARP is not unique to Wyndham - the same concept exists in all points timeshare systems that I am aware of (aka Home Resort Priority). Nothing in my response was Wyndham-specific. If there are specific differences in the Wyndham system that I am missing, then highlighting those would be helpful.

I didn't see that the OP was even asking about ARP? I responded to CO skier's assertion that ARP is important with a caveat that ARP is expensive (to be more precise, ARP at specific resorts requires owning points from those resorts, and the maintenance of those points is often much higher than the lowest maintenance points).

-Scott

It is your choice whether or not to take the hint Eric gave you.

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
Scott - dovetailing into Jan's last point, you might considered including some disclaimer in your replies offering advice that alert reader's that you are not a Club Wyndham member and have never used the system - ie. that your knowledge is not first hand. I am sure you might feel the same way if Jan jumped into the HIVC group on FB and started offering advice.

IMHO and not with my moderator hat on.

In my experience, many of the intricacies of timeshare ownership go beyond a single system and the majority of owners in any system have large amount of misinformation. I'd expect that many non-HICV who know enough about the system to answer questions would likely do a better job than many HICV owners who may own a small unit and use it irregularly.

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
AFAIK, I have 210k CWA developer points, and 508k PIC points annually. All of those points qualify as CWA points for ARP. My MFs on those 508k PIC points are $1591.00 annually this year, plus 0.58/1000 points for the fees, for a total of $1885.64. I'm at $3.71/1000 points on MFs for the PIC contracts, and $5.77 plus fees for my 210k points. I therefore have ARP at 66 resorts across all 718k annual points if I'm understanding things correctly?

That's not my understanding, from p.230 of the membership guide:

"When confirming an ARP reservation you may use up to the amount of points owned on contract(s) associated with your CLUB WYNDHAM Access ownership interest."

To me, that means that the PIC points cannot be used for an ARP reservation, since they are not part of your CWA ownership interest?

-Scott

skotrla

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can throw all the calculations around you want, there is no such thing as ARP points. You pay maintenance fees for maintenance, not ARP premiums. You will confuse people who are here to look for answers if you don't look past the numbers. CO skier explained the same theory using simple terminology that will NOT confuse novices. Points are points for some, but ARP is important and worth higher maintenance fees for others. Calling points "ARP points" and "non ARP points" adds a level of confusion not necessary to explain the concept. And now, people will also think there is some $1000 charge for ARP to top it off.

The comment I initially responded to said that ARP privileges were worth not having the lowest cost points in some cases - paying more for points with ARP at specific resorts is by definition a premium. Sorry if the phrase non-ARP points is confusing people - when I say non-ARP points, I mean points for non-ARP reservations.

Only the owner can say whether the ARP at resorts for the more expensive points is worth $1000 (in the case of 500K points at a premium of $2/1K), the only thing I can do is provide a framework for how to think about that cost.

If someone wants to provide the highest and lowest maintenance costs at specific UDI resorts, I can add resort specifics to my use case.

-Scott

MaryBella7

TUG Member
Reaction score
The comment I initially responded to said that ARP privileges were worth not having the lowest cost points in some cases

Only the owner can say whether the ARP at resorts for the more expensive points is worth it

Leave your comment at that - clear and easy to understand.

I can add resort specifics to my use case.
The specifics are when you start to get confusing. Some people can sift through all of it ( I do actually understand what you are trying to say), but many probably don't.

-Scott