• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Gun inherited

cp73

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Our Dad passed away a couple of months ago. My sister and I have spent many days going through all the stuff in the house to get ready for an estate sale. Most of the time has been spent on throwing stuff away. He wouldn't let us throw anything away when he was alive. He always said when i go you pull up the dumpster to the house and throw away what ever you want. We have had lots of laughs and good times going through all the stuff the last several weeks.
One of the things we came across was a gun. I know nothing about guns. I knew my Dad had it because he worked for the Treasury Department for his career. He carried a gun when he went in the field but during his career he only had to pull it out once. He wasn't a gun person. In fact I originally believed this was just a commemorative gun and not a real gun. He purchased it after he had retired. Now looking closely at it I believe it is a commemorative gun but it is real. It is a Smith & Wesson 38. It was kept in a fancy case box to commemorate his employment with the Treasury Department. My sister and I have no desire to keep but would like to sell it to a gun collector or someone who would value it.
I did a search on the internet and really couldn't find anything specifically about this gun. Not sure how to sell a gun and where to go to get help. So I thought I would start here.
thanks.

IMG_9692.jpg
IMG_9693.jpg
IMG_9694.jpg

Blues

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
A quick google search on "treasury department commemorative gun" brought me to this site, where commemorative guns are selling for $1000 and up, and to this picture, which looks exactly like your picture of your dad's gun.

I'm not a gun collector, and I don't know anything else. I just did a google search.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Very interesting. I'm not an expert, although I do own a few registered handguns of my own. Yours seems rather specific, certainly from a certain era of time.

I'd suggest you start by contacting Smith and Wesson (https://www.smith-wesson.com) and ask them if they can help you figure out what exactly it is you have. Guns have serial numbers. They should be able to tell you when and where it was manufactured, whether it's real (I think it likely is), and if it is particularly collectible. The letter you show would seem to indicate it has a degree of authenticity. The presentation box would seem to indicate it was given as a presentation item to somebody. Perhaps the Treasury people might know. If your Dad bought it after he retired, is it maybe reminiscent of the gun he carried on the job?

After you know what you have, try contacting a local gun range or gun club to ask about collector shows, or places to find out the true value of what you have. Appraisers are out there (beware underhanded people who will tell you it's worthless, just to try and buy it cheap.) Does California have gun stores? If so, that's another resource to explore.

Selling the gun may require some paperwork from your state, since guns are generally registered. If the gun was registered to your dad, you may need to go through a process to get it available to sell to a new owner. Presentation firearms may not be - I don't know the laws in California, or if that is even where your Dad owned the gun.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you'd like me to check anything for you from here. PM me if you'd rather keep it private.

Dave

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
You might consider just shopping it around to your local gun shops. You probably won't get top dollar for it, because you don't know the market or the piece. It's good that you have the documentation and the box- as they probably are worth close to as much as the gun itself to a collector. After getting some offers from shops, you might consider advertising it yourself at some premium, or simply offer it on consignment where you'd get a set percentage of what it sells for.

Pretty piece. I have a stainless S&W Model 66 .357.

RonB

TUG Member
Reaction score
You could try contacting the NRA. They might be able to give you more info.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Added- Google 'handgun appraisal' and you'll get a bunch of sites that may at least give you a starting point other than a bunch of timesharers.

easyrider

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Cabela's buys and sells guns like this. You might not get top dollar but you would be rid of the hand gun. Handguns, like the one you have, are very desirable because they haven't been used or used very little. Your dads 38 looks brand new. 38's are very nice shooting handguns. I like revolvers but only for plinking.

It is a very nice handgun your dad left you. In fact, because it was your dads it is one of a kind in a way. If you ever thought you or one of your family wanted to own a handgun, this would be perfect. It is a gun with family history. 100 years from now the story of this gun would include you passing it down. To me, it is a heirloom to keep.

I do understand that many people have an aversion to owing weapons but the firing pin could be removed and it would never fire and only be a heirloom associated with your dads name.

Bill

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
There are no Cabela's in California. California has some of the most restrictive laws concerning legal transfer of weapons. Track down a local firearm club/firearm range.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Go on gunbroker.com and type in the info. on the gun and that will give you a idea of the value. You can even sell it on there.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
But do not sell it until/unless you are comfortable with the person and price. You may have something of great value (even semi- great value), and it'd be a shame to sell it for a small amount, when it might be worth a lot more. I've watched enough Antiques Roadshow to know that black and white blanket on the back of the chair may be worth a gazillion dollars. ;)

Dave

BobDE

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Summit at Massanutten
I can't imagine selling a gun with that history. But if you do......

California has some mighty tough gun laws. Putting it in your car and riding around could turn into a felony if you are not aware of the laws.

I would do a lot of research and know what it is worth before you try to sell it. Find a licensed gun dealer and ask about transporting and about selling it.

Be careful...

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
Thank you all for your comments. After reading them I went and pulled it out of the box. I have the directions and learned how to release the round thing where the bullets go and spin it around. I even cocked it and fired it and then just continually fired it. With no bullets of course. It is a beautiful piece which I never really thought much of. For now I put it back in the box and back to the garage where there are lots of other things. Ideally if we dont keep it I would like to see it go to another retired IRS intelligence department agent. Unfortunately or fortunately my Dad was 91 so most of his friends from work had passed. Annually he would go to a IRS luncheon for retired employees. Last time he went he said he only knew a couple of people. I will keep you posted and with what we end up doing with it.

After seeing your interest and comments of appreciation of the piece its rubbing off on me.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
One other thing I forgot to mention was that in the photo the item with the gun is a large belt buckle.

rapmarks

TUG Member
Reaction score
We inherited two guns, one is stamped 1875 and the other is older. There is also a mold to make bullets. The family lore is that one belonged to Buffalo Bill at some point.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
In our family we have a muzzle loading rifled musket that my great, great grandfather carried in the Civil War. If you or your sister have children, grandchildren or someday great grandchildren they may treasure having something that belonged to your father and he carried in his line of work.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
We inherited two guns, one is stamped 1875 and the other is older. There is also a mold to make bullets. The family lore is that one belonged to Buffalo Bill at some point.

Just for curiosity, you may want to contact the Buffalo Bill museum in Cody, Wyoming, to try and find out more about the piece. They have a huge collection of firearms, and much memorabilia from his life. It could be something they may want to display, with an “On loan from...” card with your name. Https://centerofthewest.org

Dave

easyrider

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark * * Villa Del Palmar UVCI * * Vacation Internationale*
Thank you all for your comments. After reading them I went and pulled it out of the box. I have the directions and learned how to release the round thing where the bullets go and spin it around. I even cocked it and fired it and then just continually fired it. With no bullets of course. It is a beautiful piece which I never really thought much of. For now I put it back in the box and back to the garage where there are lots of other things. Ideally if we dont keep it I would like to see it go to another retired IRS intelligence department agent. Unfortunately or fortunately my Dad was 91 so most of his friends from work had passed. Annually he would go to a IRS luncheon for retired employees. Last time he went he said he only knew a couple of people. I will keep you posted and with what we end up doing with it.

After seeing your interest and comments of appreciation of the piece its rubbing off on me.

Some friendly advice is STOP DRY FIRING the handgun. Dry firing this will very often damage the firing pin or worse. Even though it can be repaired the handgun is better off all original.

You can get some empty casings and pull the trigger all you want with out damaging anything. :thumbup:

Bill

wackymother

TUG Member
Reaction score
One other thing I forgot to mention was that in the photo the item with the gun is a large belt buckle.

You should look online for the value of that, too. I don't know much about belt buckles, but I know some of them are worth a good bit of money.