• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Lagunamar Owner Update

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
I still have no idea why I attend these presentations.

Favorite comments were ... you need to get in on these prices because once integrated with Marriott they will at least double ... the networks will be combined in the next 1 to 2 years and resales will be left behind ... once the networks are combined all of the Marriott owners will be requesting these Mexico resorts because they don’t have any etc. etc.

At least the sunrises have been epic.

edf0140e13b8f2c54cd3fced374aada0.jpg

Maui_ed

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WPORV, WKORV, WDW
I still have no idea why I attend these presentations.

Favorite comments were ... you need to get in on these prices because once integrated with Marriott they will at least double ... the networks will be combined in the next 1 to 2 years and resales will be left behind ... once the networks are combined all of the Marriott owners will be requesting these Mexico resorts because they don’t have any etc. etc.

At least the sunrises have been epic.

edf0140e13b8f2c54cd3fced374aada0.jpg
Agreed - that is a beautiful sunrise!

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
I'll go to the update for the $100 resort credit. Covers the Fiesta or steak night.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
If Marriott wants the Mexican resorts so badly (and i believe it does since it the CEO mentioned them at least twice in public), isn't that great for existing WLR week owners?
We are going tomorrow to the update. My wife arranged it, i wish she hadn't. Only for 75 minutes she was told. God bless.

This evening we went to Elefanta, accross the street on the Lagoon side. Great food, gorgeous sunset.

20181023_181558.jpg

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
we went today to the update. Basically, their message is that we are missing the boat but they have a hard time describing this boat. They told us how much the MVC owners would love to come to Mexico, one of the few places where Vistana is present but not Marriott. According to them, this is going to create such a demand that availability is going to be a problem for week owners. When asked to elaborate they quickly backed down and switched to lower availability on Staroptions. At that point i did not insist any more, it was really a waste of time to go on.

The big question of course is the rate of conversion SO to DP and of course they have no idea. We went through a couple of options to convert our resale weeks to Aventuras. Another proposal was to give them back SVV Bella to get Aventuras and they would also convert one Lagunamar (that would stay Lagunamar)
Cheeky me, I started to ask if after all the credits they would have to pay us for the conversion.

The last guy, the "closer" did not even try to sell anything, he just reassured us that what we have is great. In his words, he just laid some ground for future sales in case, by a miracle, we change our minds in the next years.

The day was saved by an epic dinner at the Argentinan restaurant, Gambalache, accross the street right next to the ferries wheel. Not only the food was delicious, my wife loved the Argentinian wine so much that we bought two bottles to bring home with us. They sold it for 50% of the menu price so it came to about 14 USD a bottle. The owner of the restaurant produces this wine at his "finca" in Argentina according to the waiter.
The Lagunamar guests get a 10% discount of the whole bill.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
The day was saved by an epic dinner at the Argentinan restaurant, Gambalache, accross the street right next to the ferries wheel. Not only the food was delicious, my wife loved the wine so much that we bought two bottles to bring home with us. They sell it for 50% of the menu price so it comes to about 14 USD a bottle. The owner of the restaurant produces this wine at his "finca" in Argentina according to the waiter.
The Lagunamar guests have a 10% discount of the whole bill.
We had a great meal at Cambalache last year. Would definitely go there again. We also like La Madonna just on the other side. No discount, but free welcome drink instead. Just make your reservation through the Lagunamar concierge.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
One of my favorite wines is from Argentina. It's called Malbec, and is a blend between the Cabernet and Merlot. Perfect with a delicious grilled steak.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The more i think about the owner's update, the more I realize that they were talking about the fusion between the Vistana and Marriott programs as if it were a fait accompli, more a when rather then an if. As a matter of fact they mentioned a probable timeline, in 12-18 months from now.

20181025_062029_014.jpg

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
we went today to the update. Basically, their message is that we are missing the boat but they have a hard time describing this boat. They told us how much the MVC owners would love to come to Mexico, one of the few places where Vistana is present but not Marriott. According to them, this is going to create such a demand that availability is going to be a problem for week owners. When asked to elaborate they quickly backed down and switched to lower availability on Staroptions. At that point i did not insist any more, it was really a waste of time to go on.

The big question of course is the rate of conversion SO to DP and of course they have no idea. We went through a couple of options to convert our resale weeks to Aventuras. Another proposal was to give them back SVV Bella to get Aventuras and they would also convert one Lagunamar (that would stay Lagunamar)
Cheeky me, I started to ask if after all the credits they would have to pay us for the conversion.

The last guy, the "closer" did not even try to sell anything, he just reassured us that what we have is great. In his words, he just laid some ground for future sales in case, by a miracle, we change our minds in the next years.

The day was saved by an epic dinner at the Argentinan restaurant, Gambalache, accross the street right next to the ferries wheel. Not only the food was delicious, my wife loved the Argentinian wine so much that we bought two bottles to bring home with us. They sold it for 50% of the menu price so it came to about 14 USD a bottle. The owner of the restaurant produces this wine at his "finca" in Argentina according to the waiter.
The Lagunamar guests get a 10% discount of the whole bill.
We love that restaurant and so convenient!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
DannyTS, I love your photos!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
70d0cec1647b0430774a7f3edfbe8a8f.jpg

The water is insanely calm today

Now that is what I imagine when I dream of traveling to the Caribbean. It looks like that every day over at Isla Mujeres North Beach and parts of Cozumel as well as by the Intercontinental hotel since it is protected by the way the land juts around. Lucky you to be there today. DannyTS will be bragging today!

carpie99

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now that is what I imagine when I dream of traveling to the Caribbean. It looks like that every day over at Isla Mujeres North Beach and parts of Cozumel as well as by the Intercontinental hotel since it is protected by the way the land juts around. Lucky you to be there today. DannyTS will be bragging today!

We talked to people who went to Isla Mujeres yesterday and they said there was a lot of seaweed. We were planning that today but got lazy again.

We haven’t left the resort all week with the exception of two trips to the grocery store and a couple trips across the street for dinner and football.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
i said i liked waves :)

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
The more i think about the owner's update, the more I realize that they were talking about the fusion between the Vistana and Marriott programs as if it were a fait accompli, more a when rather then an if. As a matter of fact they mentioned a probable timeline, in 12-18 months from now.

View attachment 8739
flashback memory from the same owners update. The package they were offering was Westin Aventuras. For 81000 SO the MF are $1088. I asked why they are $223 more than my 1 bedroom WLR ($865), same number of SO. I was told because they have more gold season in the trust which brings the average MF higher (since the gold 1 bd only has 44,000 SO)

if my estimate is correct and ignoring the other resorts in the trust, it means that the gold to platinum ratio in the trust is about 2 to 1 so probably the availability in the platinum season is not good.

Last edited:

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
flashback memory from the same owners update. The package they were offering was Westin Aventuras. For 81000 SO the MF are $1088. I asked why they are $223 more than my 1 bedroom WLR ($865), same number of SO. I was told because they have more gold season in the trust which brings the average MF higher (since the gold 1 bd only has 44,000 SO)

if my estimate is correct and ignoring the other resorts in the trust, it means that the gold to platinum ratio in the trust is about 2 to 1 so probably the availability in the platinum season is not good.
Trust based systems always seem to run higher, not just because of the mix of higher and lower MF weeks, but because of additional administrative costs associated with managing the trust. The trust needs to pay for all of the conveyances, recordings and management of administering the inventory. There is also a separate BOD that manages the trust. This is also why Marriott's DC trust points are so expensive.

As to the last point, even if the trust is low on Platinum Plus weeks, it should not impede any owners of Aventuras from booking them. It seems pretty easy to book in to Laguanamar except for perhaps the ultra peak weeks. Just checked and there is pretty good availability, even now, for February through April. Even for Easter week. Though if one is wanting to go to Lagunamar in Platinum Plus, it makes more sense just to buy a week there given the higher MFs of Aventuras and SVV. THough there could be an argument made to buy WKV to use the SOs at Lagunamar. Of course the upfront cost is MUCH higher than a voluntary Lagunamar Platinum week.

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Trust based systems always seem to run higher, not just because of the mix of higher and lower MF weeks, but because of additional administrative costs associated with managing the trust. The trust needs to pay for all of the conveyances, recordings and management of administering the inventory. There is also a separate BOD that manages the trust. This is also why Marriott's DC trust points are so expensive.

As to the last point, even if the trust is low on Platinum Plus weeks, it should not impede any owners of Aventuras from booking them. It seems pretty easy to book in to Laguanamar except for perhaps the ultra peak weeks. Just checked and there is pretty good availability, even now, for February through April. Even for Easter week. Though if one is wanting to go to Lagunamar in Platinum Plus, it makes more sense just to buy a week there given the higher MFs of Aventuras and SVV. THough there could be an argument made to buy WKV to use the SOs at Lagunamar. Of course the upfront cost is MUCH higher than a voluntary Lagunamar Platinum week.

The availability at Lagunamar is decent with SO. However, I understand that the inventory for the Westin Aventura is kept separate so it might be much worse than what you and I experience when checking (i assume you do not own Aventuras either). If they do not have enough platinum weeks in the trust, the Aventura owners would just have a hard time getting what they want in the peak season. This is what i was referring to .

dioxide45

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Club Wyndham CWA
The availability at Lagunamar is decent with SO. However, I understand that the inventory for the Westin Aventura is kept separate so it might be much worse than what you and I experience when checking (i assume you do not own Aventuras either). If they do not have enough platinum weeks in the trust, the Aventura owners would just have a hard time getting what they want in the peak season. This is what i was referring to .
True, but an Aventuras owners has access to all of the SO inventory at eight months. So if what they want isn't there in Aventuras, it may still be easy to book at eight months.

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
True, but an Aventuras owner has access to all of the SO inventory at eight months. So if what they want isn't there in Aventuras, it may still be easy to book at eight months.
so the Staroptions inventory is shared. I did nor realized that but it makes sense of course.

This is why the sales people where telling me at the owners update that once the Vistana and Marriott systems merge (in 12-18 months) I will have a hard time to booking at WLR with my SVVBella SO. We intend to add few days with SO to every week reservation. Their point is that Cancun is one of the few places where there is no overlap so MVC owners will dry up availability.They showed me maps of both MVC and Vistana to prove it (like i did not know lol). This is why i need Westin Aventuras (according to them again), to be able to have home based priority in those truly scary times!

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I thought Aventuras was not selling well. Is that correct?

Tucsonadventurer

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hyatt Pinon Pointe, Hyatt Beach House, Westin Kierland
There has been availability in interval and getaways for Lagunamar which is already available to Marriott owners. I use my Hyatt to trade in interval for Lagunamar rather than my Vistana SOs so I dont see it making a huge difference with overlapping the programs. It may make some but salesmen love to instill fear. If we listened to them all we would have bought new programs from Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
There has been availability in interval and getaways for Lagunamar which is already available to Marriott owners. I use my Hyatt to trade in interval for Lagunamar rather than my Vistana SOs so I dont see it making a huge difference with overlapping the programs. It may make some but salesmen love to instill fear. If we listened to them all we would have bought new programs from Hyatt, Vistana and Marriott
they claim that most Marriot owners use the internal trade exclusively and that they do not bother with Interval. Besides, last time i checked on II there was nothing at Wlr for December, Jan, Feb until late March and those available April-June were studios, absolutely not enough for a family of 4 like ours

Last edited:

DannyTS

TUG Member
Reaction score
I thought Aventuras was not selling well. Is that correct?
As a week owner only, there is something about these programs like Aventuras and Flex that makes me uncomfortable. I like the idea of owning something, as illusory as it may be, than owning a bit of the common pot. With that being said when i was at the owner's update, they had cubicles and offices full of prospects, and based on what i could glance , based on the body language of both sales people and potential buyers, businesses seemed to take place so who knows?

Last edited:

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I own weeks and points. Whenever possible, I prefer points program because I like the flexibility and benefits of points programs to be able to visit many destinations any week I want. I have enrolled my Marriott weeks. All my timeshares right now have exchange privileges of some sort, even though they are almost all purchased resale. This is just my personal preference. I am glad there is an active resale market for both weeks and points so we can get out of our contracts when we are done.