• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Does size matter?

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
I am considering buying either a 1 or 2BD unit at Lawai Beach Resort, hoping for some advice since I am brand new to timesharing. I plan on mostly going to LBR but, if I do exchange my week to vacation elsewhere through one of the exchange systems, say II or RCI, will I be exchanged into the same amount of bedrooms? We are empty nesters and the majority of time won’t be needing the extra bedroom but occasionally the option would be nice. Is it worth the extra upfront costs to own the week in the bigger unit?
I really appreciate all the help I have gained on this site. Thanks in advance.

Passepartout

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Generally- size matters. For the best of both worlds, a two bedroom LOCKOFF gives the most bang. Usually it is a one bedroom unit adjoining a studio. SO if your needs are modest, you can reserve the ONE bedroom one week and the studio side the next for twice the time- or you can invite family or friends and use the whole 2 bedroom space.

Jim

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
What's the difference in upfront costs?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Trading a 2 bedroom versus a 1 bedroom in RCI will give you more tpu’s thus more trading value. How many more depends on which week.

I would trade this in Interval as there are more quality choices.. It looks like a strong trader in Interval. Depending on which week, if it is a stronger trade week, based on my experience, a strong one bedroom can trade as well as a two bedroom. You will have an additional fee if you trade a one bedroom to a two bedroom.

If it costs significantly more to purchased a 2 bedroom and maintenance fees are much more I would get a one bedroom. If the difference is not that much get the 2 bedroom.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
Another thing to consider for Lawai is the building. Tuggers favor Alii, then Banyan, then Coral. (We stayed in a two bedroom Coral on the 4th floor and I thought it was fine, btw). I am not familiar with the other buildings, but if any of the bedrooms faced the water that would be something that I would consider as well.

And as far as exchanging, with respect to trading power, it depends on which exchange company you are using. RCI doesn't give you a lot more TPU's for a two bedroom (more but not enough to tip the scale, imo), but II definitely gives you more trading power for a two bedroom, and you don't have to pay for a size upgrade unless you are trading into a 3 bedroom (but you won't get anything back for downgrading into a 1 bedroom). You won't see a ton of 2 bedroom units on Interval any more. Inventory has definitely tightened up. Where are you thinking about exchanging? Some trades are easier than others.

I would put the most emphasis on how you will use the unit since you seem to indicate that trading will only be an occasional thing. Lawai is a nice property but the maintenance fees are on the high side to use it as a trader, imo.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
We always prefer 2 Bedroom Units even when we are by ourselves. It gives us a place to store stuff. Some where else to sleep if one of us becomes sick or has an out break of snoring. Also we have noticed that many times the daily living area of the Unit is slightly larger in most 2 Bedroom units.

Jan M.

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Presidential Reserve at Panama City Beach
Club Wyndham Access
Grandview Las Vegas and Discovery Beach Resort - Both in RCI Points
Woodstone and Summit at Massanutten - Both in RCI weeks used as Wyndham PICs
Going bigger gives you options you won't have with a smaller unit. However if the maintenance fees are much higher for the larger unit and realistically you know you aren't likely to need the second bedroom that often then it would be a waste of money most years. If you were wanting to rent your week or sell the timeshare there are more people who will want a two bedroom unit than a one bedroom unit. And that should work in your favor as a buyer in this instance. I would think you might be able to get a much better price on a one bedroom week than a two bedroom week.

Jim, Passepartout, mentioned lock off units. If this resort would be one that has two bedroom lock off units that would be worth having. You could use one side of the lock off unit for yourselves and deposit the other side for trade. I've also heard people say that they've found other owners who had lock off units either the week before or the week after their week. They made a deal with one of those people to use the other side of each others lock off unit so each couple got two week stays at no additional expense.

momofthreeplusone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Another thing to consider for Lawai is the building. Tuggers favor Alii, then Banyan, then Coral. (We stayed in a two bedroom Coral on the 4th floor and I thought it was fine, btw). I am not familiar with the other buildings, but if any of the bedrooms faced the water that would be something that I would consider as well.

And as far as exchanging, with respect to trading power, it depends on which exchange company you are using. RCI doesn't give you a lot more TPU's for a two bedroom (more but not enough to tip the scale, imo), but II definitely gives you more trading power for a two bedroom, and you don't have to pay for a size upgrade unless you are trading into a 3 bedroom (but you won't get anything back for downgrading into a 1 bedroom). You won't see a ton of 2 bedroom units on Interval any more. Inventory has definitely tightened up. Where are you thinking about exchanging? Some trades are easier than others.

I would put the most emphasis on how you will use the unit since you seem to indicate that trading will only be an occasional thing. Lawai is a nice property but the maintenance fees are on the high side to use it as a trader, imo.
The high maintenance fees are definitely a consideration. Where can I find a lower MF Resort that’s still a good trader?

dayooper

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC: The Flamingo, The Boulevard
Is Grandview in Las Vegas a good trader or is it just good for RCI points? The two bedroom lock off (two complete one bedroom suits) has great MF’s (around $800) and you can split the two suites into two different exchanges, but am not sure how that exchanges outside of the RCI points system.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We have often said that if you MUST go to a certain location or season, then that's what you should buy. But if it's a trader you want at the lowest price, then choose where someone else wants to go that isn't overbuilt. Hawaii is expensive. I wouldn't buy a TS in Hawaii unless I REALLY wanted to go to that island at least 2/3 of the time. And the other third maybe someplace like Europe that is difficult to catch. I like Hawaii, but don't have to go there all that often. If I wanted a trader, I'd choose a S. Cal. beach location, or someplace like Hilton Head Island. Lots of demand and not many resorts (comparatively) and not a big risk of damage from hurricanes etc.

That's my $.02 worth.