• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Marriott’s Insane Sales Offer

TXTortoise

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui OC Lahaina Fixed (3+)
Kauai Waiohai
Vail Streamside Birch
Immerse yourself on the Marriott-interest FB sites, most have a common administrator, and you get a good sense of the posters background. Mostly just lots of folks trying to figure it out...some posting stuff that’s not true, they just don’t know better. Others with good info. Like any other “interest” page due diligence is required. Somewhat like junior high and high school for Marriott timeshare users, while TUG is Harvard. :)

csalter2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Ko Olina
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Diamond Resorts Gold
Is it? Fakebook is well-known to have fake accounts and posts to influence behavior. It doesn't use moderators like TUG or FlyerTalk.

Yes, it is true. Plus, there are people here who have experienced the same. It was just news to me.

chapmane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
You have articulated beautifully why I am no longer Senior Sales Executive at Marriott Vacation Club. My ethical standards have been the cornerstone of my life, and one with those standards can no longer survive within this organization. Remember that when you opt to tour... A loss of great talent has left the building... and I'm not alone...
Hello - We have buyers remorse at having purchased 3,000 annual points from MVC in a moment of poor decision making about 18 months ago. Yes, we did use some points to go to Hawaii, but overall, compared to Hyatt, we don't care for the whole MVC system, customer non-service, etc. Probably a naive question, but are there any options to sell back our points without taking a tremendous loss?

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
Hello - We have buyers remorse at having purchased 3,000 annual points from MVC in a moment of poor decision making about 18 months ago. Yes, we did use some points to go to Hawaii, but overall, compared to Hyatt, we don't care for the whole MVC system, customer non-service, etc. Probably a naive question, but are there any options to sell back our points without taking a tremendous loss?
Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, you have ready access to 6000 points, any given year, as you can freely borrow from the year ahead. You could have some very nice, and lengthy vacations with those points, which would amount to a heck more value than your 1500 maintenance fees. I've even done some 14 day windstar cruises for 5000 points in a balcony suite for two. This program works.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

chapmane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Before you throw the baby out with the bathwater, you have ready access to 6000 points, any given year, as you can freely borrow from the year ahead. You could have some very nice, and lengthy vacations with those points, which would amount to a heck more value than your 1500 maintenance fees. I've even done some 14 day windstar cruises for 5000 points in a balcony suite for two. This program works.

Thanks for your reply. The maintenance fees are now up to $2000 a year and climbing. We will try and look for an Alaskan venue next year.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
I do find the best cruise prices 2 to 3 months prior to departure as many of the cruise lines discount points at that time. Also, you're including your club dues of approx. $200 plus the $1800 as the total maintenance - to be fair, $1800 is your maintenance, give or take, and $200 is the Club Dues... Just for 'fair and balanced' reporting... haha...

jeepie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the market value of your points may now be around $4 per point, or $12,000. That’s reality, no use in having buyer’s remorse (I know, I have done the same thing). So, would you sell them for this price? You still can rent out your points for a small profit any year you don’t use them. You could also rent more points to top off the required points for your vacation. Who knows, you may even buy some resale points or weeks if/when you see the value (I did). Best of luck!

Sandy VDH

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wynd VIP Plat GF, HGVC Elite, WM, HICV, +
It seems to be one of the themes of late. Don't focus on purchase price, just focus on the run rate of MF. And somehow really exaggerate that MFs if you stay with the "legacy thing" is going to increase 10 fold and if you buy this new thing, it will pay MF for itself. They washed over the part that the reason MF pay for themselves is you rent the units to cover your MFs.

So pay you 70K for something I already own and do something I'm already doing.

Yeah but that is NOT what the presentation is trying to say but that is what it amounts to but I'd like to see that presentation proposal hocus pocus details in writing. NOT.

chapmane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, the market value of your points may now be around $4 per point, or $12,000. That’s reality, no use in having buyer’s remorse (I know, I have done the same thing). So, would you sell them for this price? You still can rent out your points for a small profit any year you don’t use them. You could also rent more points to top off the required points for your vacation. Who knows, you may even buy some resale points or weeks if/when you see the value (I did). Best of luck!
Thanks for your comments!!

chapmane1

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do find the best cruise prices 2 to 3 months prior to departure as many of the cruise lines discount points at that time. Also, you're including your club dues of approx. $200 plus the $1800 as the total maintenance - to be fair, $1800 is your maintenance, give or take, and $200 is the Club Dues... Just for 'fair and balanced' reporting... haha...
I appreciate this advice as we are not “experienced cruisers”.

alohakevin

unconfirmed
Reaction score
Well, there is definitely a huge difference from when I bought my Ko Olina property pre-construction. There was not the hard sell which I used to experience with Diamond Resorts/Sunterra. It seems as soon as Marriott went to the points system, the salespeople became more aggressive and misleading about the product. That was what I am accustomed to when dealing with Diamond who only sells points.

I believe if you have a good product, it should sell itself. I think the push with Marriott is because those points are very expensive. I hope they change their ways.

It has been this way for years with (Starwood) Vistana. Sounds like culture creep.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

How have you gotten the 14 N Windstar cruises for 2 for 5000 DPs? That is a good deal!

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
How have you gotten the 14 N Windstar cruises for 2 for 5000 DPs? That is a good deal!
That is exactly what I was thinking too.
I meant to do a little research before asking more about the specifics, but a Windstar cruise for that number of points is definitely something I would want to book.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
Windstar is one of the few upper tier cruise lines that does discount 60-90 days prior to departure. It is a wonderful cruise company too!!! Hopefully, more of them will do the same. Nothing worse than an empty cruise ship... Hear that Viking, Crystal, et al???