• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Vent: When You Open Up a Wall...

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
The genius who built this house used two layers of brick on the exterior walls, so its not a simple score+crack.
Hey, at least you have an extra-strong house! Should make you feel better when the next hurricane comes along. :)

Kurt

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
Nothing is ever easy. One thing leads to another. Glad you got it done, though! It's worth it in the long run.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Oh, dang ... I have a brick building. Originally, built by Italian imminigants. The father had 4 sons who he directed in the building process. I bet dear old Dad was also an employee at the local oil refinery which was built with the exact same brick, steel rafters and steel studs (wink, wink). Heavy wire mess holds the concrete morter (also called plaster) to the brick and wire mess inside ... about 2+ inches thick everywheres.

So, if that dreaded siren starts blaring and everyone else is headed to church ... I will be in the basement of that building .. with my handiman, his mother, his wife plus my heating contractor.

Not a home for termites, either. No wood.

PS The living and front windows are the cathedral shaped upper sashes, too. Maybe, I should look at the older church windows in town, too ... for their close relations.

vacationhopeful

TUG Review Crew: Rookie
TUG Member
Reaction score
Don't live there inside the place. But have no issue in the area for my cell usage.

And believe this or not ... internet is not a real popular device there. And the cell phone is for text messaging (less usage costs).

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Our vent runs down into the crawl space and then 14' to go through the outside brick wall. It plugged up with lint and we had to use a plumbers snake to break up the clog. Made a HUGE difference in how well the dryer works.
That sounds like my setup. I do feel hot air coming out of the vent outdoors, and dryer seems to work fine. But I wonder if I should run the vent into the garage. The dryer is against that wall.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... I wonder if I should run the vent into the garage. The dryer is against that wall.

Apparently, it's done by some.
I read about people who did that while researching my own problem.
The garage itself needs to be well-ventilated, as the humidity is high.
... and not if it's gas (that's a dif'rent kettle of fish).

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
That sounds like my setup. I do feel hot air coming out of the vent outdoors, and dryer seems to work fine. But I wonder if I should run the vent into the garage. The dryer is against that wall.
Is the garage finished with drywall and painted or are the ceiling rafters visible? Also, how often do you run the dryer? With just DW and I, we probably only dry a couple of loads a week. If I vented into the garage, cracking the garage door a little would be no big deal and little humidity would build up. It's all about ventilation to deal with the hot, humid air from the dryer.

BJRSanDiego

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sands of Kahana, Desert Springs I, DSV2, Shadow Ridge Enclaves Dlx
Talent312, glad to hear that it eventually was resolved.

PigsDad

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Elite: SeaWorld, Surf Club, Charter Club, Valdoro
But I wonder if I should run the vent into the garage. The dryer is against that wall.
Check with your local building codes. I know for a fact that it is against code around here. The issue is that you would have an open vent from the garage into the house, and then you have the possibility of CO2 entering the house. And no, the little flap on the dryer vent isn't considered safe for backflow protection.

Kurt

joestein

TUG Member
Reaction score
You think the lint is bad, we are currently remodeling the first floor of our house. After opening walls, we multiple floods and a gas leak when a contract cut through a gas pipe. To top that off, we knew we had a drainage problem, it turned out to be a broken pipe under the slab of the kitchen floor. The service the contractor hired to find the break screwed up and marked a location that was not where the break was, then he doubled down and said the break was deeper. Ultimately we had to trench from the drain going into the floor until they found the break.

Not only is all of this work costing us an extra $12,000 (over $8,000 alone on on the pipe) on top of our job, it delayed the job almost a month and we had a mud pit for weeks in our kitchen. It is not just the money, but the aggravation and worry of people digging up our house and still not finding the broken pipe for weeks.

Luckily, we were able to file an insurance claim and recover some small portion money and we are going to go after the leak detection company as they cost us an extra $4,250 due to their errors.

We are just hoping to have everything job finished before Xmas.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Is the garage finished with drywall and painted or are the ceiling rafters visible? Also, how often do you run the dryer? With just DW and I, we probably only dry a couple of loads a week. If I vented into the garage, cracking the garage door a little would be no big deal and little humidity would build up. It's all about ventilation to deal with the hot, humid air from the dryer.
Yes, garage is finished, as is ceiling. I run the dryer once a week (and not in the summer. Have great outdoors solar power.) It is electric. And no problem with ventilation. I can see daylight from the rubber seal at the bottom of the garage doors. Will look up the building code.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
You think the lint is bad, we are currently remodeling the first floor of our house. After opening walls, we [had] multiple floods and a gas leak when a contractor cut through a gas pipe... We are just hoping to have everything job finished before Xmas.

Ouch!
My laundry problem didn't amount to a hill of beans compare to that.
We have renovating our kitchen and guest bath next on our agenda.
Note to self: Remember to keep fingers crossed.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
You think the lint is bad, we are currently remodeling the first floor of our house. After opening walls, we multiple floods and a gas leak when a contract cut through a gas pipe. To top that off, we knew we had a drainage problem, it turned out to be a broken pipe under the slab of the kitchen floor. The service the contractor hired to find the break screwed up and marked a location that was not where the break was, then he doubled down and said the break was deeper. Ultimately we had to trench from the drain going into the floor until they found the break.

Not only is all of this work costing us an extra $12,000 (over $8,000 alone on on the pipe) on top of our job, it delayed the job almost a month and we had a mud pit for weeks in our kitchen. It is not just the money, but the aggravation and worry of people digging up our house and still not finding the broken pipe for weeks.

Luckily, we were able to file an insurance claim and recover some small portion money and we are going to go after the leak detection company as they cost us an extra $4,250 due to their errors.

We are just hoping to have everything job finished before Xmas.

We have a non-permitted shower downstairs in my office where there is also a non-permitted kitchen (there when we bought the house). Bathroom had a permitted toilet and sink. Best thing we ever did was put that shower in because contractor went to plumb the shower drain and discovered that the toilet was draining to a broken pipe. And we'd thought the musty smell was because the room was not used by the previous owners and it opened on to the garage. I had to leave and not come back for a week when I saw the wood floors torn up and a 4 foot pile of stinky mud stacked in the room (we weren't moved in yet). That cost us $10K, the home warranty folks chipped in $900. The kitchen cabinets still smell like sewer if the room has been closed up while we are gone. I've gone through tons of charcoal filters, baking soda etc and nothing sucks the smell out of the wood.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
... Best thing we ever did was put that shower in because contractor went to plumb the shower drain and discovered that the toilet was draining to a broken pipe... The kitchen cabinets still smell like sewer if the room has been closed up while we are gone. I've gone through tons of charcoal filters, baking soda etc and nothing sucks the smell out of the wood.

Jeesh! ... Maybe it's time to remodel the kitchen?
This beats the story of the guy who lost his house to his ex-wife in a divorce and left shrimp inside the curtain rods.

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Jeesh! ... Maybe it's time to remodel the kitchen?
This beats the story of the guy who lost his house to his ex-wife in a divorce and left shrimp inside the curtain rods.

Nope. This is a second kitchen (house had 3 when we moved in because well-to-do Croatians want a fry kitchen, a summer kitchen and a show kitchen; this was the fry kitchen) in a huge 23'x23' room that is in the space I use for my office and drapery sample library. As soon as someone were to actually cook down here I'd hope that the cooking smells would permeate the cupboards. If not, their issue, not mine.