• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Luxury Resort Bans Smartphones From Poolside So Guests Can 'Truly Relax'

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
I would agree also. I would prefer not to hear a loud boom box going with music I may not be fond of, listening to where the dog threw up last night, or who some one went home with last night. On holiday I like to enjoy my peaceful surroundings and enjoy another blessed moment away from the "noise". Each resort should decide what is best for their clients, who came there to "get away from it all".

The article mentions nothing about people using their phones to call people. I'm in agreement that other people shouldn't be subjected to other people's conversations if they are disproportionately louder than anyone else's conversation. Is the couple sat near me having a conversation any different to someone having a conversation on their phone? No, this resort is banning people from using their smartphones to access their social media, taking photos, reading, listening to music (via earphones, there is nothing more irritating than listening to music from a tiny phone speaker) all of which have zero impact on anyone else around them. Why does the management think they are the arbiter of what someone should do to relax?

All the people on here writing about people talking loudly on their phones are completely missing the point, this isn't about people making calls. Anyone reading on their phone is no less disruptive than someone reading a book and less disruptive than someone reading a newspaper. When I'm listening to music via my earphones no-one (unless you're sat right beside me) will hear anything. If I'm browsing the internet no-one will be any the wiser, the sound of someone jumping into the pool is going to be much more disruptive.

If one truly wants to get away from it all then staying at a resort with a bunch of strangers is not the best way to go.

Deb & Bill

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC - OKW, Sold BRV; Used to own Charter Club Marco Island
Perhaps the management is tired of monitoring the children of the guests. If you are busy playing a game, reading the news, etc on your phone, you aren't paying attention to your family. Maybe they just need two pools, one for guests without any children or family members and one for guests with others along for the vacation.

Larry M

TUG Member
Reaction score
It bothers me when people are on the phone in the stall of the ladies room. Also when they are in a restaurant with their kids or spouse or date and talking away on the phone instead of interacting with the people with them.
We had a rule when our kids were small, no TV, and no toys at the table during meals. They seem to follow this even now. But SIL always brings his phone to the table. I consider this a distraction, but we have had dinner with his Dad and he does the same thing.
Silentg
I was moderating a conference call with about 40 people on it last week, coordinating volunteers for North Carolina recovery from Hurricane Florence. We have a not-infrequent problem with participants setting their phones on speakerphone on their desks while doing other things. Someone else stops by their desk to chat, they forget the phone is active, and we are all treated (subjected?) to their chit-chat.

But last week set a new low. We heard various rustling noises, then a loud FLUSH!:(

Larry

jehb2

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don’t care if people bring their phones to the pool as long as they don’t talk loudly.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
One place a cell-phone is better left in the car (or silenced):

My DW was sitting front+center at church one Sunday when her phone rings.
At first, she doesn't realize it's hers. The minister stops the sermon + glares.
She digs in her suitcase (purse) looking for it. Then has trouble turning it off.
Finally off, she announces that it was an Amber Alert.

The minister, now off his game, asks the congregation to pray for the child.
Thankfully, I had elected not to attend that Sunday, but heard all about it.

Last edited:

PamMo

TUG Member
Reaction score

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
I remember 25 years ago when almost no one had a Mobile Telephone. Some of the first one were shaped like a Brick. Some how we all survived. Now many people can not shop in a store without being on the Fone the whole time. It is so "thrilling" to hear all about there lives. Who is fighting with whom, who is cheating on whom, whose kid just got arrested by the juvenile authorities, etc. And of course these people only have outside voices.

1Kflyerguy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC Kings Land, Elara, and Marriott Destination Club Points
Personally i find it more relaxing to old school physical books, magazines etc than on a phone or tablet. Maybe because with phone i keep getting distracted by other stories, etc.

I am fine with others quietly browsing or reading their phone. But i dislike people that that have their volume up to play music, videos, games etc. To me this seems like a basic courtesy, and really should not need to regulate that, but experience shows otherwise.

Space Coast Laurie

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Capistrano Surfside Inn (Capistrano Bch, CA), The Resort on Cocoa Beach (Cocoa Bch, FL)
What a lovely policy, and certainly not too much of a burden for guests if there are other pools for those addicted to technology. "No cell phones" is actually a much simpler policy than saying that people can use their phones as long as they don't play music out loud, don't play videos out loud, don't have their ringers on, don't talk on the phone, etc.

We have friends who have a restaurant with a "no cell phones use inside" policy and it is greatly appreciated by their regular customers. They do have some "unawares" who show up and get totally ticked off when they're asked to put their phones away, but most people understand and deal with it just fine.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
We were in a movie theater yesterday. A person got out of their seat and went out the exit door, leaving it opened a crack to make or answer a call, rather than going out to the lobby, not only disturbed everyone, but the light shown in the screen as it was close to the front.
This was after various notices to silence phones during the show. How important are you?
Silentg

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Son Antem, Playa Andaluza, Harbour Lake
How important are you?
Silentg

That depends. When I'm on call I have to have my phone with me at all times. If I receive a call it's usually because there's been a murder so it isn't an option to ignore it. However, I agree, go into the lobby!

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
That depends. When I'm on call I have to have my phone with me at all times. If I receive a call it's usually because there's been a murder so it isn't an option to ignore it. However, I agree, go into the lobby!

Understandable. Just put the phone on vibrate before you enter the theater and, as you said, go to the lobby to answer it.

I am guilty of putting my phone on the table at a restaurant. Usually, I do so because my almost 97 year old mother is at home alone. But if I get an important call that I must answer, I'll leave the area to talk. I too hate to listen to others' conversations or their music in public places. I get very annoyed at parents who are not supervising their children around pools and in other public places.

At least the resort in the article has a pool where such devices are not allowed and others where they are. Something for everyone! In a one pool situation, perhaps the resort should just dictate that devices remain silent and to leave the area to answer a call. I don't mind a person reading on a device or playing music as long as they are using earplugs. I would want mine to listen to an audiobook.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not see the need to ban everything associated with cell phone use to have a quiet area. Put cell phones on mute and no pictures allowed. Seems like that solves the problem along with allowing those that want to use them to do so. The problem is it is not the cell phone that is rude it is the user. We had rude people before cell phones and will have rude people long after cell phones are on the dust heap of technology.

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
I do not see the need to ban everything associated with cell phone use to have a quiet area. Put cell phones on mute and no pictures allowed. Seems like that solves the problem along with allowing those that want to use them to do so. The problem is it is not the cell phone that is rude it is the user. We had rude people before cell phones and will have rude people long after cell phones are on the dust heap of technology.

That would be great if people abided by rules, but we all know the rude people wont. The temptation is too much when the phone is there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
That would be great if people abided by rules, but we all know the rude people wont. The temptation is too much when the phone is there.

Well aren't we talking about a rule :shrug:

SmithOp

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC King's Land 2BR Premier 23.040K Points.
Well aren't we talking about a rule :shrug:

Well to me a ban means check your cell phone at the gate, like a gangster meeting where they put them all in a box. A rule that its on mute with no photos allowed is useless AFAIC.

bluehende

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well to me a ban means check your cell phone at the gate, like a gangster meeting where they put them all in a box. A rule that its on mute with no photos allowed is useless AFAIC.

Ok I get it

Your rule that means a person would just put their phone in their pocket to break would be followed

Mine that would be pretty obvious when the phone rings or you take it out to take a photo would not be.

Since no box would exist to put them in (no one would place their 1000 dollar phone into some box) I have no idea how you can argue that one rule would be followed any more than another rule. I can argue that a reasonable rule is followed much more than a ridiculous ban. As I said in my first post. There are rude people. Rude people break the rules whatever they are.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
Well to me a ban means check your cell phone at the gate, like a gangster meeting where they put them all in a box.
... and you know this, how?...