• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Purchase at Marriott Grande Chateau

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas
Westin Kaanapali Ocean Resort Villas North
Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a unit to trade. It will be a 2 bdrm l/o at Grand Chateau. The unit has passed ROFR at $1500.00. Closing costs of $475.00. However, the Seller's agent informed me that the Seller deposited the 2019 week into Interval as a two bedroom unit. I wanted to lock off the unit and have two deposits. I understand that once it is deposited as a 2 bdrm it cannot be locked off.

The Seller's agent stated that he can transfer the week to my Interval account.

I have an Interval account through my ownership at Vistana WKORVN. Can the Marriott week be transferred to this account or do I need to open and pay for a new Interval account?

Can the Seller transfer a week to me?

Thanks for your help.

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
Had this issue before and it did not work for me. You can no longer lock it off but have to use it as a 2BR.

Yes, the seller can transfer the week to you by faxing II but ONLY as an accommodation certificate (not a week) which has a super low trading power.

You must open a new II account to use it as far as I know.

If it was me, I would ask the seller to pay the 2019 MF and use the week and I will start in 2020.

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yes, the best advice is to be compensated the 2019 Maintenance fees by the seller and begin your actual use in 2020. After all, the seller is the one who is benefiting from the 2019 week (not you).

This also gives you a great time frame (an entire year) in which to reserve the exact week which you really would like to have in 2020!

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Thanks for the advice. I believe if we were to change the transaction with the Seller paying 2019 MF, and use beginning in 2020, we would have to go through ROFR again.

vacationtime1

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKORV-OF (Maui)
WKV x2 (Scottsdale)
Thanks for the advice. I believe if we were to change the transaction with the Seller paying 2019 MF, and use beginning in 2020, we would have to go through ROFR again.

Perhaps, but you are not getting what you bargained for vis a vis the 2019 usage. You will be paying full MF's for the year and getting an AC with little value.

I suggest you let the seller pay for the additional ROFR waiver -- or walk away from the deal if they won't. The week is not going to sell easily without 2019 usage; the seller is in a very weak bargaining position due to his own action.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a resale Vistana week that I used in Interval. I was able to add my Grand Chateau week to that II membership ($39, or add a year to the II membership for $89, and then adding the resort is free.)

Are there 2 bedroom lockouts that are not allowed to be locked off in II? My 3 bedroom locks off into a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Hi All,

I am in the process of purchasing a unit to trade. It will be a 2 bdrm l/o at Grand Chateau. The unit has passed ROFR at $1500.00. Closing costs of $475.00. However, the Seller's agent informed me that the Seller deposited the 2019 week into Interval as a two bedroom unit. I wanted to lock off the unit and have two deposits. I understand that once it is deposited as a 2 bdrm it cannot be locked off.

The Seller's agent stated that he can transfer the week to my Interval account.
I have an Interval account through my ownership at Vistana WKORVN. Can the Marriott week be transferred to this account or do I need to open and pay for a new Interval account?
Can the Seller transfer a week to me?
Thanks for your help.

First of all, the good news------Congratulations, you've bought a very good trader in Grand Chateau,
and you'll receive a lot of value going forward.

Now the bad news.....your great value going forward might not begin until 2020
when it's totally under your control.

The biggest question is: what year was stipulated in the contract as the "first year of usage for buyer"? You didn't say here.

Sounds to me like it was 2019 and YOU are the "lucky"(?) new owner,
inheriting a deposited week via a closed sale, and likewise also responsible for the 2019 maintenance fee......

2019 might be a bust for you, unfortunately.

This should have been addressed by buyer (you) and seller long ago.

Last edited:

samara64

TUG Member
Reaction score
I had a resale Vistana week that I used in Interval. I was able to add my Grand Chateau week to that II membership ($39, or add a year to the II membership for $89, and then adding the resort is free.)

Are there 2 bedroom lockouts that are not allowed to be locked off in II? My 3 bedroom locks off into a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom.

Maybe I should have been more clear on the membership question.

Is the current II account paid for by Vistana as part of your ownership, I think you have to open a new II membership. If it is your own and you pay the $89/year dues, I think you can add as many TS as you want.

I only own Marriott and Worldmark and they coexist in same account. Not very familiar with Vistana. Others will chime in.

And yes, believe me the AC is worthless but in my case, I got it for free so I could not complain.

With regard to the ROFR, I do not think you need to resubmit as it comes down to same value for timeshare (pay 2019MF and use 2019 or not) but the under laying week value is the same.

Also the $95 is paid one time when you send your external transfer paperwork to Marriott so they will not ask the broker for twice the fee. Same if you pass ROFR and do not proceed with sale, you pay nothing. You do not pay the fee when applying for ROFR but at the final step.

Last edited:

TheTimeTraveler

TUG Member
Reaction score

No, it is doubtful that you have to go thru ROFR again. You are taking possession now, with the stipulation that the seller will have 2019 use (which they have already deposited).

I always buy my timeshares like this. This allows strategy to plan usage a full year in advance and make my own use.

Marriott doesn't care about this type of arrangement as long as they are provided their maintenance fees.

The biggest issue I see is: "Is the buyer willing and able to pay you for the 2019 maintenance fees" ? If the answer is no then you need to walk and find another unit.

The good news is that the ROFR threshold is very low at Grande Chateau; reason being that Marriott is still trying to market their own weeks/points and really don't want to take on resales at Grande Chateau at this time.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
Thanks everyone for responding. The contract includes 2019 usage to the buyer. We entered contract about a month ago. Yesterday, the brokers agent told me that the Seller deposited 2019.

I am inclined to walk away. I hate when parties fail to adhere to a contract.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for responding. The contract includes 2019 usage to the buyer. We entered contract about a month ago. Yesterday, the brokers agent told me that the Seller deposited 2019.

I am inclined to walk away. I hate when parties fail to adhere to a contract.
Have them transfer the current account to you and ask them to cover part of the 2019 costs, if not, then let them keep the week and let them cover the fees. In the absence of some type of compensation for a 2 BR, I'd be inclined to walk away.

bogey21

TUG Member
Reaction score
Me, I'd walk away and avoid all the issues and uncertainties that can come up if you try to modify the deal...

George

vol_90

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Phuket Beach Club, Aruba Surf Club, Grand Chateau, Canyon Villas, Desert Springs Villas II, Abound & Asia Pacific Points
If you are just looking for a unit to trade you can get one for less than $1,500 (excluding closing costs). I purchased an EOY Canyon Villas for less than $100 on Redweek last month. You can check out all listed Marriott resort properties on their site by looking at TimeShare Resales and choosing Marriott Vacation Club (see all resorts). There are a couple of listings for $0 but likely not to pass ROFR but many others for under your current entry point. Challenge will always be ROFR but one will get through. Make sure to run the MF calculations and trade value into your total cost when looking for the best value for initial purchase price.

Agreed with bogey21 to walk away unless you are willing to potentially get $0 for the 2019 week. Life's too short.....

Last edited:

curbysplace

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau, Marriott Streamside-Birch, Marriott Custom House
Without knowing any of the facts or issues that were involved when negotiating your purchase price it looks like you purchased a good platinum-week trader for a very reasonable price. Now think about it a little esoterically: First take into consideration the total annual maintenance fee and break it down with the studio being worth about $550 and the Master suite about $800. Second, add the studio maintenance fee portion of $550 to your purchase price (in your head) then it just may be that you still end up with a better-than-average purchase price for your unit and still have a 2 bedroom unit to use in 2019. Just another way to look at it and hopefully not lose any sleep over this minor issue. You have years to lock off the unit and use it at your pleasure.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

II doesn't lock off units, Marriott does. You have to lock off your unit with owner services and get 2 reservation #s, then deposit these separately into II. Once you deposit a week (as studio, 1br, 2br, 3br...) into II it's a done deal, and belongs to II. No locking off at that point.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
II doesn't lock off units, Marriott does. You have to lock off your unit with owner services and get 2 reservation #s, then deposit these separately into II. Once you deposit a week (as studio, 1br, 2br, 3br...) into II it's a done deal, and belongs to II. No locking off at that point.

Right - I was responding to:

Had this issue before and it did not work for me. You can no longer lock it off but have to use it as a 2BR.

I was surprised that a 2 BR Lockoff unit could no longer be locked off by Marriott.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn

Right - I was responding to:

I was surprised that a 2 BR Lockoff unit could no longer be locked off by Marriott.

We are talking in circles a bit, but the "issue" that this whole thread is about (and I presumed) samara64 was mentioning, is the in-ability to lock off a Marriott unit after depositing to II as a 2BR (or larger):
the Seller's agent informed me that the Seller deposited the 2019 week into Interval as a two bedroom unit. I wanted to lock off the unit and have two deposits. I understand that once it is deposited as a 2 bdrm it cannot be locked off.

To my knowledge you (or Marriott) could never lock off after depositing to II. This is still the case AFAIK.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
To my knowledge you (or Marriott) could never lock off after depositing to II. This is still the case AFAIK.
That's my understanding as well both on the thread question and the options with II. The only way out would be to convince Marriott and/or II that it was deposited by a mistake on their end which doesn't sound likely.

FamilyEsq

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
ESJ - Puerto Rico
I want to thank everyone for their help. I am walking away from the deal. A new Seller just accepted an offer I made last night. I will give you details once we go through ROFR.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I want to thank everyone for their help. I am walking away from the deal. A new Seller just accepted an offer I made last night. I will give you details once we go through ROFR.
Good luck!! Grand Chateau has been a great trader for me. (I don't have a studio portion in my lockoff - so don't know how that trades...)

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
Good luck!! Grand Chateau has been a great trader for me. (I don't have a studio portion in my lockoff - so don't know how that trades...)

I have a trader.....Manor Club Sequel, and there's a studio. My studio trades very well, and I usually end up paying a small fee because when searching for a trade week, there are usually several units available for upgrade. I've never traded it for another studio, but mostly a 1BR/full Kitchen or even a 2BR for a little more if one lists. I always do the EPlus (3 re-trades) and keep checking.

Your studio will perform well, better than you now realize.

Last edited:

hillsk

Reaction score
We're confused about whether or not to add a EOY Grand Chateau resale for personal use. Want to do lockoff so we can have 1 week in the studio and another in the 1-bedroom at a later date. Currently we're enrolled members with 3 Marriott weeks. We take points for one and put other 2 in Interval.

Here's the question: If we buy a 2-bedroom resale and select lockoff on the MVC site, can we then also choose/reserve those 2 weeks on the MVC site or must we add another II account to actually use/book them? We know we can't "enroll" a resale, nor can we take Marriott Reward Points for it, but don't know if a resale has to have it's own II account or if it can still display on the Marriott II account along with our 3 developer-purchased weeks. Don't know if II would somehow just flag the resale or what. Any help would be much appreciated.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
We're confused about whether or not to add a EOY Grand Chateau resale for personal use. Want to do lockoff so we can have 1 week in the studio and another in the 1-bedroom at a later date. Currently we're enrolled members with 3 Marriott weeks. We take points for one and put other 2 in Interval.

Here's the question: If we buy a 2-bedroom resale and select lockoff on the MVC site, can we then also choose/reserve those 2 weeks on the MVC site or must we add another II account to actually use/book them? We know we can't "enroll" a resale, nor can we take Marriott Reward Points for it, but don't know if a resale has to have it's own II account or if it can still display on the Marriott II account along with our 3 developer-purchased weeks. Don't know if II would somehow just flag the resale or what. Any help would be much appreciated.
Yes, if you want to use the resale week with Interval you will need a personal Interval account for it.
You will not be able to use your corporate Interval account for this.
If you don’t want to use it with Interval though, you have full access through the MVC owner website to lock off... etc, except as you say you can’t enrol it or trademit for MR points.