• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Costco Employees Share 31 Things They'd Love to Tell Shoppers But Can't

MULTIZ321

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
BLUEWATER BY SPINNAKER HHI
ROYAL HOLIDAY CLUB RHC (POINTS)
Costco Employees Share 31 Things They'd Love to Tell shoppers But Can't
By Aine Cain/ Business Insider/ businessinsider.com

• "Costco membership can go to some people's heads, according to workers.
  • Business Insider reached out to 49 Costco employees to find out what they wish they could tell shoppers but can't.
  • Common requests were to control your kids, hang up your phone, and help unload the cart.
Costco membership comes with some obvious perks — namely, access to the retail chain and its food court.

But according to dozens of Costco workers who spoke with Business Insider, being a member doesn't entitle you to do whatever you want.

While Costco made Glassdoor's list of best places to work in 2017, employees still had several complaints about shoppers' rude and inconvenient behavior.

Business Insider spoke to 49 Costco employees about the things they want to tell members but can't. Some of their responses focused on obvious problems, like members being mean and inconsiderate. But some of the tips were more instructive.

Here's what they had to say....."

5ac50a667a74af24008b4654-750-563.jpg

Don't blame workers for things beyond their control.
Hallory Sindelar/Flickr

Richard

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Interesting read. We actually do not like it when the Costco Employee unloads or partially unloads our Cart. Many times we unload it in a certain manner because we want it packed in boxes and then in our vehicle in a certain manner. This is especially true when we want cold items packed in our cold/insulated bags. We have actually had folks pack cold items in boxes and then put our non-cold items in the insulated bags.

When I worked in a grocery store in high school I was given classes on how to pack groceries. I do not think that is a class at Costco or any grocery store today.

DaveNV

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Such a true account of how it really is. Every time my Refund Cashier spouse comes home from work with a cold, I ask how many times in previous days the soaking wet membership card had to be retrieved from the slobbering mouth of a snot-drooling child. "Way too many," is the usual reply. Yuck!

Dave

Beachclubmum

Reaction score
An Illinois-based Costco employee said they hated when a member would "pull their card out of their bra or mouth."

"It's gross," said a Costco employee in Minnesota, while an employee in Idaho added that this especially becomes a problem during flu season.

I put my card in my bra all the time, so I don't misplace it and be unable to find it when I need it. It's just skin, no different than holding it in my hand, so not sure why anyone would "hate it".

Long time Costco/price club customer here. Last summer I added Sam's Club on a membership special mainly for the gas access near my house. One thing that Sam's Club has that's a huge plus over Costco: the app that lets you scan your groceries as you put them in the cart and allows you to completely bypass the checkout stand. Long lines for checkout are the worst thing about Costco!

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
...I put my card in my bra all the time, so I don't misplace it and be unable to find it when I need it. It's just skin, no different than holding it in my hand, so not sure why anyone would "hate it"...

....um.....well.....uh....

WVBaker

TUG Member
Reaction score
An Illinois-based Costco employee said they hated when a member would "pull their card out of their bra or mouth."

"It's gross," said a Costco employee in Minnesota, while an employee in Idaho added that this especially becomes a problem during flu season.

I put my card in my bra all the time, so I don't misplace it and be unable to find it when I need it. It's just skin, no different than holding it in my hand, so not sure why anyone would "hate it".

Would be an interesting place to keep a drivers license and registration should you ever get pulled over.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I couldn’t even get through the ‘article’. A long list of complaints from workers? It’s basically just the same stuff for any store, not just Costco. Nothing new here, just the frustrations of workers working in any customer service job. Customers are rude, gross whatever. Not news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
Last summer I added Sam's Club on a membership special mainly for the gas access near my house. One thing that Sam's Club has that's a huge plus over Costco: the app that lets you scan your groceries as you put them in the cart and allows you to completely bypass the checkout stand. Long lines for checkout are the worst thing about Costco!

The Scan & Go is a great benefit for Sam's Club over Costco. Even though I like Costco, Sam's Club also beats them in their "Plus" membership which is the higher paid membership somewhat equivalent to the Costco "Executive" membership. The Sam's Club Plus membership allows additional shopping hours on the weekday mornings which provides shopping with less people. Also, the Sam's Club Plus membership provides free shipping on mail order items. I was taken by surprise when I recently purchased a $1,000 laptop online at Costco to learn that I would need to pay $14.95 for shipping.

Icc5

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting read. We actually do not like it when the Costco Employee unloads or partially unloads our Cart. Many times we unload it in a certain manner because we want it packed in boxes and then in our vehicle in a certain manner. This is especially true when we want cold items packed in our cold/insulated bags. We have actually had folks pack cold items in boxes and then put our non-cold items in the insulated bags.

When I worked in a grocery store in high school I was given classes on how to pack groceries. I do not think that is a class at Costco or any grocery store today.

Was it Safeway you worked for? When I was hired as a ( bagger,then Courtesey Clerk) name changed but pay didn't. In 1970 I too had to spend time being taught how to bag. It was a good idea but then plastic bags came along. Best rule for bagging is use common sense.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents

Long time Costco/price club customer here. Last summer I added Sam's Club on a membership special mainly for the gas access near my house. One thing that Sam's Club has that's a huge plus over Costco: the app that lets you scan your groceries as you put them in the cart and allows you to completely bypass the checkout stand. Long lines for checkout are the worst thing about Costco!

Just a guess, but the skin there probably touches a lot less stuff that carries is dirty than your hands do.

I added Sams, too, because they have diesel near me but Costco doesn’t.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Was it Safeway you worked for? When I was hired as a ( bagger,then Courtesey Clerk) name changed but pay didn't. In 1970 I too had to spend time being taught how to bag. It was a good idea but then plastic bags came along. Best rule for bagging is use common sense.

It was not a Safeway. Started with an "M." Chain no longer in Oregon may be gone from every where.

Ironwood

TUG Member
Reaction score
My Costco pet peeve is inconsiderate shoppers blocking aisles with carts. Costco shopping carts and trollies are bigger than most store carts, and take a lot of space. When someone leaves their cart in the middle of an aisle and walks away to pick something up 25 feet away, I will gently move the cart to get by. But not when there is a child in the cart blocking the aisle which happened last Costco trip. I just wheeled around and went an aisle over, but a lot of shoppers just don't care....it's their space alone, while they there and you can wait!

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
I love Costco and don't see a lot of the behaviors listed in the article. Maybe people are just more polite at my store, or maybe I don't notice.

Some of the employees interviewed seemed rather judgmental of others.

I agree that people should not put items in the wrong place, and they should fold clothes back into place after looking at the size of something. I stand there a while and re-fold a few more than I unfolded in the kids' department.

I love the dairy, eggs, frozen foods, and I especially love the large quantities of items I need to buy regularly. But there are things I buy that I don't need. That is a problem for me. I especially need to stay away from the bakery.

Last edited:

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
A lot of Costco employees are run ragged by the end of their shift. As a shopper, you’re there a short time, and only see things as they are when you’re in the store. Imagine that level of chaos all day, every day, with no time when it won’t be so chaotic. I can see how some employees would say these kinds of things.
Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Just today I was at Costco to pick up a few items. I had 2 re-useable shopping bags - 1 large and 1 medium. The bagger put the 4 bottles of wine and yogurt in the large bag. Cheerios would not fit in medium bag. I had sent the Cheerios and large bag down first. So I repacked with Cheerios and other small items in large bag and the 4 bottles of wine in the medium bag.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
Just today I was at Costco to pick up a few items. I had 2 re-useable shopping bags - 1 large and 1 medium. The bagger put the 4 bottles of wine and yogurt in the large bag. Cheerios would not fit in medium bag. I had sent the Cheerios and large bag down first. So I repacked with Cheerios and other small items in large bag and the 4 bottles of wine in the medium bag.

The people who bag your items are used to putting things in carts, and the cashier may not scan things in the order they were placed on the belt. It isn’t surprising the Assistant didn’t bag things the way you wanted them. I usually tell them just to load it back into my cart, without a box, and I take it from there. :)

Dave

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
The people who bag your items are used to putting things in carts, and the cashier may not scan things in the order they were placed on the belt. It isn’t surprising the Assistant didn’t bag things the way you wanted them. I usually tell them just to load it back into my cart, without a box, and I take it from there. :)

Dave

Then they need training or learn to use common sense.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent

That's easier said than done. A lot of the Front End Assistants this time of year are seasonal trainee workers, and by the time they figure out what they're doing, the season is over, and their job has ended. Chances are, by the time the Assistant figured out the bags wouldn't fit, you probably had already intervened, since you knew what you wanted. As the old saying goes, "Common sense these days isn't that common." :)

Dave

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

Dave

I feel that if someone wants full-service such as proper bagging of purchases, one should shop at a full-service store and pay those prices. Costco is a wholesale warehouse, not Whole Foods.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
One other thing I would like Costco to change is to have more non-organic fruits and vegetables. I can get 4 or 5 varieties of apples at WINCO for under $1 per pound. While Costco's organic apples run $1.50 to $1.60 & up per pound.

DaveNV

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Free Agent
One other thing I would like Costco to change is to have more non-organic fruits and vegetables. I can get 4 or 5 varieties of apples at WINCO for under $1 per pound. While Costco's organic apples run $1.50 to $1.60 & up per pound.

Have you made this suggestion in writing at your warehouse? They have a suggestion box (usually in the Member Services area) that is read daily by Management.

Dave

rickandcindy23

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Founder; Disney OKW & SSR; Marriott's Willow Ridge and Shadow Ridge,Grand Chateau; Val Chatelle; Hono Koa OF (3); SBR(LOTS), SDO a few; Grand Palms(selling); WKORV-OF ,Westin Desert Willow.
The Costco near us never has Granny Smith apples. I love those for my pie recipe. I have to buy those at other stores.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Have you made this suggestion in writing at your warehouse? They have a suggestion box (usually in the Member Services area) that is read daily by Management.

Dave

Several times.

zinger1457

Reaction score
My Costco pet peeve is inconsiderate shoppers blocking aisles with carts. Costco shopping carts and trollies are bigger than most store carts, and take a lot of space. When someone leaves their cart in the middle of an aisle and walks away to pick something up 25 feet away, I will gently move the cart to get by. But not when there is a child in the cart blocking the aisle which happened last Costco trip. I just wheeled around and went an aisle over, but a lot of shoppers just don't care....it's their space alone, while they there and you can wait!

Just recently signed up for a Costco membership after 10 years without one. That was the one thing that really stuck out during my first few visits, especially in the clothing area. The aisle between the racks are narrow but still plenty of room for two carts but still people find a way to block the aisle. The same issue with all the sample displays blocking and stopping movement. At first I figured that people were just oblivious to what's going on around them but it seems some do it intentionally. One lady had her cart in the middle of the aisle at a 45 degree angle blocking anyone else coming through, I said excuse me and she moved her cart to let me through, after I passed she moved her cart back to where it was. Saw the same issue at two different Costco's I visited. Don't remember it being that way before.

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Just recently signed up for a Costco membership after 10 years without one. That was the one thing that really stuck out during my first few visits, especially in the clothing area. The aisle between the racks are narrow but still plenty of room for two carts but still people find a way to block the aisle. The same issue with all the sample displays blocking and stopping movement. At first I figured that people were just oblivious to what's going on around them but it seems some do it intentionally. One lady had her cart in the middle of the aisle at a 45 degree angle blocking anyone else coming through, I said excuse me and she moved her cart to let me through, after I passed she moved her cart back to where it was. Saw the same issue at two different Costco's I visited. Don't remember it being that way before.

I've noticed that the customer behavior seems to be related to which Costco I go to. There are a few near where I live; at the ones that are in larger, more metropolitan areas the customers do stuff like that and the parking area is atrocious. At the ones in more traditionally rural areas the behavior is better, though there are still some that seem oblivious.