• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

"Upgrade and Unwrap 50,000 Bonus Points" Email

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
Anyone else get the below email? I am a current MR Chase cardholder and didn't take them up on any prior offers. (I was trying nights per $3k spent were more important to me than the extra point per $1, so I kept it to help get me to Platinum Premier Elite.)

I clicked to upgrade and everything seemed to work OK. I guess I just need to swipe the card 1x and make a purchase and then see if my 50k points show up. Don't really need the card since I got the signup bonus for the Luxury SPG AmEx, but 50k points for $10 would be pretty sweet if it works out. Will report back.

upload_2018-12-19_16-56-12.png

michael49

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club, Waiohai Beach Club, Desert Springs II, Manor Club (Original Section), DC points
I received a similar offer last month. I had not upgraded since all previous offers were for only 10,000 bonus points.
Since this was just after my annual renewal date on my Premier Card (for which I received my 15 nights credit), I accepted the offer and received the new card within one week. Also, since I use the Marriott Visa Card to pay my maintenance fees, my next monthly statement reflected the 50,000 point bonus (my offer required $3,000 in purchases). However, it did take a followup call to Chase in order to have the bonus points properly reflected in my Marriott Rewards account.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
For those who think a 50,000 point "gift" is a real coup, consider:

I've planned a Fall New England trip for 2019 and will stay at a Marriott hotel in Boston one night on the front end
of the trip, and one night on the back end.

EACH night in the Marriott hotel will be 50,000 Rewards Points, so 100,000 points total for two nights.

Two weeks ago we stayed one night at the brand new Residence Inn (Bella Grace) in Charleston SC,
also adding an extra night to our overall stay, and it was also 50,000 Rewards points.

Unbelievable how the value of these points has diminished.

davidvel

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Shadow Ridge (Villages)
Carlsbad Inn
For those who think a 50,000 point "gift" is a real coup, consider:

I've planned a Fall New England trip for 2019 and will stay at a Marriott hotel in Boston one night on the front end
of the trip, and one night on the back end.

EACH night in the Marriott hotel will be 50,000 Rewards Points, so 100,000 points total for two nights.

Two weeks ago we stayed one night at the brand new Residence Inn (Bella Grace) in Charleston SC,
also adding an extra night to our overall stay, and it was also 50,000 Rewards points.

Unbelievable how the value of these points has diminished.
What would those rooms have cost retail?

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I got the offer this past weekend. Updated this post today with the approval last night. I am in desperate need of the 50k points. I depleted all my points getting 2 - 5 night certificates before the change in cats. I now have 3 5 day certificates in my account with new cat 4, 4 and 5. Need points So I can upgrade if need be. Between the 50 k plus 4,000 in MF will get me to 74k plus a more valuable free night certicate for $10 additional.

Last edited:

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
What would those rooms have cost retail?

Boston $465, Charleston $250

BUT......a few short years ago a $675 per night hotel room in NYC/Times Sq
was getable for 30,000-35,000 Rewards points per night, because I did those two years in a row......

similar for Renaissance Hotel in New Orleans,
JW Marriott in Wash,DC, Frenchman's Reef, VI, to name a couple more we visited.

Last edited:

dfeetham

TUG Member
Reaction score
To earn the 50K points on the upgrade do you have to charge $3,000 in 3 months. Or is it you get the points once you charge the $3,000?

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
To earn the 50K points on the upgrade do you have to charge $3,000 in 3 months. Or is it you get the points once you charge the $3,000?
My wife's offer was any single purchase. No set amount. Just like the OP.

frankf3

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Wyndham points
I was irritated for a while at the poor (10k points offers I kept receiving). Happily, I got the 50k for 1 purchase by December 31 offer about 2 months ago. This reminds me that I need to confirm the points posted to my MR account!

Bernie8245

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
I responded to the 50,000 points offer to upgrade to the Marriott Rewards Premier Plus credit card. I received the card about 2 weeks ago and used it for 3 purchases and the 50,000 points have already shown up in my account. I was told it could take up to 2 billing cycles but it happened quicker than that.

m61376

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club 2 & 3BRs
Thought that was a good offer too. Haven't received new card yet, but have been approved. I know the card number remains the same- does the expir date and security code, so that any online purchase made now would count as the purchase needed for the 50K bonus? I hope so- hate to have to change all the auto payments...

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
I upgraded yesterday and was told that the expiration date and security code will be new ones, even though the card number stays the same. I was also told that once the upgrade is approved, even if you use the old card (before the new card comes and is activated), it is credited as if it was a purchase on the new card.

AlmostRetired

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Grande Ocean Platinum, 3 x Grand Chateau 3 Bedroom (annual, EOY Odd, EOY Even).,
I upgraded yesterday and was told that the expiration date and security code will be new ones, even though the card number stays the same. I was also told that once the upgrade is approved, even if you use the old card (before the new card comes and is activated), it is credited as if it was a purchase on the new card.

I just got off the phone and was told the same thing. One additional fact that I assume is true. Since it is an upgrade and not a new application, you get the points in two to three billing cycles from first use no matter what the $ value is. It does not require a 3000 spend.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
For those that got approved, how long did it take and did you get notified that you were approved via email? Want to make sure I use the old card for 1 transaction once approved. Thanks.

Fasttr

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Ocean (Enrolled)
MVC Trust Points
For those that got approved, how long did it take and did you get notified that you were approved via email? Want to make sure I use the old card for 1 transaction once approved. Thanks.
You can go online and the little picture of your card will show Premier Plus on it...and you can also click on "See Details" under the Marriott Rewards section of your card, and it will show 6 points for Marriott purchases and 2 points for other purchases....that will tell you its been upgraded. I think it only took a day or two for that to show up. It took about a week to get the letter. My bonus points posted after the first billing cycle cut off that I posted a transaction to after the upgrade. Posted as 2 transactions....a 10K transaction and a 40K transaction.

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can go online and the little picture of your card will show Premier Plus on it...and you can also click on "See Details" under the Marriott Rewards section of your card, and it will show 6 points for Marriott purchases and 2 points for other purchases....that will tell you its been upgraded. I think it only took a day or two for that to show up. It took about a week to get the letter. My bonus points posted after the first billing cycle cut off that I posted a transaction to after the upgrade. Posted as 2 transactions....a 10K transaction and a 40K transaction.

Thanks. I've been upgraded. They refunded 1/2 of my annual fee and dated it JUL 1 2018. Assume they will charge either 1/2 of the new annual fee amount ($47.50) or just charge full amount $95 and have the cycle run JUL 1 2018 to JUN 30 2018.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
Anyone else get the below email? I was trying nights per $3k spent were more important to me than the extra point per $1, so I kept it to help get me to Platinum Premier Elite.)
View attachment 9505

We still have the old MR Plat card, haven't upgraded. All our prior requests to upgrade were a mere 10k MR Pts bonus (not worth it). We got the 50k MR Pts bonus this week. Small print says just 1 purchase by end of year.

Question I still struggle with...is it worth moving from the old card and losing the extra night for every $3k spent....and gaining the extra 1 MR Pt per $1 (6 vs 5).

Thanks to our MVC Presidential status, I am MR Plat Premiere irregardless. But only Lifetime Gold Elite, with 465 nights and 7 yrs of Plat Elite. Given the continual decline in value of MR Pts, I almost think keeping the nights to get help eventually get me to lifetime Plat is better. Although, only relevant if I were to sell MVC weeks thus dropping my Presidential status.

Any others in a similar boat?

ljmiii

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Question I still struggle with...is it worth moving from the old card and losing the extra night for every $3k spent....and gaining the extra 1 MR Pt per $1 (6 vs 5).Thanks to our MVC Presidential status, I am MR Plat Premiere irregardless....
Any others in a similar boat?
I wish I was in your boat...I would gladly have my old card back if I knew then what I know now.

I get MR Platinum Premiere from MVC status as well. What I didn't know is that suite upgrades would be dependent on nights not MR elite level.

With the recent MRP devaluation the change from 1pt to 2pts/$ is meaningless to me since I have other cards that give me more. I'd much rather have 5 MRPs/$ and a night/$3K than 6 MRPs/$ for all my Marriott spending. Obviously, YMMV.

jeff76543

TUG Member
Reaction score
It took no more than 24 hours for the upgrade to appear in my online Chase account. It might have taken much less than that, but I only checked after 24 hours. I still haven't received notification via e-mail.

hangloose

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's Grande Vista (x2)
Marriott's Maui Ocean Club
Marriott's Ko Olina Beach Club
Marriott's Ocean Pointe
I wish I was in your boat...I would gladly have my old card back if I knew then what I know now.

I get MR Platinum Premiere from MVC status as well. What I didn't know is that suite upgrades would be dependent on nights not MR elite level.

With the recent MRP devaluation the change from 1pt to 2pts/$ is meaningless to me since I have other cards that give me more. I'd much rather have 5 MRPs/$ and a night/$3K than 6 MRPs/$ for all my Marriott spending. Obviously, YMMV.

This is my thought process as well, thus why I am still holding on to the old card. Nights towards lifetime and suite awards may be more valuable than 1 extra MR Pt per $.

jme

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriotts:
Grande Ocean x 6
Barony x 2
OceanWatch x 1
Manor Club x 1
Waterside by Spin x 2
Sheraton Bdw Pln x2
ChurchSt/Charleston x2
I kept the old card "for fear of losing something I maybe didn't know about"----glad I did.

I chose 5 Suite Night upgrades for reaching 50 nights, and 5 more Suite Night upgrades for reaching 75.....
(we actually are at 145 as of today).

(you get 5 nights for reaching each of those levels, and I got both).

Too bad they stop at 75 because right now I'd be swimming in upgrades.

I've used 2 upgrades already and most likely won't reach 10 in a year, even when trying.
We have no need of the other reward choices.
We'll easily do the required 75 nights in a year to continue receiving the 10 Suite Night upgrades award per year,
which I do deem VERY VALUABLE!!!

We'll definitely book a few EXTRA nights next year just because of the upgrades.

Last edited:

jpa2825

TUG Member
Reaction score
It took no more than 24 hours for the upgrade to appear in my online Chase account. It might have taken much less than that, but I only checked after 24 hours. I still haven't received notification via e-mail.

Confirmed via website. Used the old card. New cards arrived. Chase statement cut on 12.26 and shows 50k bonus points earned. Points haven't showed up at Marriott.com yet. Maybe I need to pay that bill before they will?

hpy2go

Reaction score
I kept the old card "for fear of losing something I maybe didn't know about"----glad I did.

I chose 5 Suite Night upgrades for reaching 50 nights, and 5 more Suite Night upgrades for reaching 75.....
(we actually are at 145 as of today).

(you get 5 nights for reaching each of those levels, and I got both).

Too bad they stop at 75 because right now I'd be swimming in upgrades.

I've used 2 upgrades already and most likely won't reach 10 in a year, even when trying.
We have no need of the other reward choices.
We'll easily do the required 75 nights in a year to continue receiving the 10 Suite Night upgrades award per year,
which I do deem VERY VALUABLE!!!

We'll definitely book a few EXTRA nights next year just because of the upgrades.

I'm grateful to see this topic remaining alive. Even though I have different goals, I am interested in a related topic.

I was able to get the points to achieve the LTPP status (which I expect to hear about sometime after the first of the year). A key thing to get over the points hurdle was the 100K SPG AmEx offer. I used my "old" MR cc to get a lot of nights through normal spending and travel.

When I got to the 50 and 75 milestones this year (I'm around 120 right now for the year) I selected 5 SNU's for 50 (not sure how that will be used, but...) and then a free night at 75 (I *know* how that will be used!). Like jme, I have no use for the other reward choices.

I also haven't "upgraded" to the new card (with the 50K offer), because I wasn't sure the value of what I'd be giving up. Sure the 50K points is another free night, but what would I be giving up with that decision?

Now that I have achieved that LTPP, the issue for me is which card to use? It seems that the key decision point is how much do I need "nights"? Through just travel I get around 50 a year.

So, I'll ask this: Isn't the tradeoff between SPG AmEx and the "old" MR simply 6x points vs. 5x points and a "night-credit" for every $3k spent? Which quickly translates to 20% more MR points vs. 5 SNUs (which I don't know how I can use) plus the possibility of another free night.

Thoughts? (I think I'm going to build a spreadsheet....)

BobG7734

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Custom House; St. Kitts; Waiohai(Poipu); Maui
I upgraded today by phone and the 50K points already posted without making purchase. The CSR said the CC# would stay the same but the exp date and security code may change...she wasn't sure. She said to keep using the old card until the new arrives and the benefits of the new card program would apply. Also, the new annual fee would be prorated with a credit for the unexpired portion of the old fee; the anniversary date would also change.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
Anyone else get the below email? I am a current MR Chase cardholder and didn't take them up on any prior offers. (I was trying nights per $3k spent were more important to me than the extra point per $1, so I kept it to help get me to Platinum Premier Elite.)

I clicked to upgrade and everything seemed to work OK. I guess I just need to swipe the card 1x and make a purchase and then see if my 50k points show up. Don't really need the card since I got the signup bonus for the Luxury SPG AmEx, but 50k points for $10 would be pretty sweet if it works out. Will report back.

View attachment 9505

Did they mail this to your house? We have not received this promotion. We have 2 Marriott Rewards cards with Chase. I am surprised they have not asked us to upgrade.