• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Do you use your patio? Is it important for you to have one in your timeshare unit?

1st Class

TUG Member
Reaction score
We absolutely enjoy using a patio/balcony for meals and just generally relaxing. I consider it to be part of the vacation adventure -- just doing nothing as we don't always have to be on the go! A great view is definitely a plus but not a deal breaker.

Something that baffles me is why a villa that accommodates 8 almost always, in our experience, has balcony seating for 4! When our kids were young, we needed to supplement with dining chairs and it was a very tight fit.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
We absolutely enjoy using a patio/balcony for meals and just generally relaxing. I consider it to be part of the vacation adventure -- just doing nothing as we don't always have to be on the go! A great view is definitely a plus but not a deal breaker.

Something that baffles me is why a villa that accommodates 8 almost always, in our experience, has balcony seating for 4! When our kids were young, we needed to supplement with dining chairs and it was a very tight fit.[/QUOTE
Another thing that baffles me is when there is only table and chairs, no lounge chairs and the patio is tremendous.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Depends...
If there's an ocean view then I almost always use my patio and am glad to have it.

However, there are times when my kiddo was little that I was frustrated by patios because they presented yet another safety challenge and required extra supervision... it meant that I couldn't relax much on vacation.

Also, if there is no view then I tend to just think of patios as a security risk - another way someone could break in.

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I absolutely appreciate having a deck in our timeshare units. I do sit out with a drink and sometimes my laptop or a magazine. My husband does not care for it because he claims he gets bit by mosquitoes. But I think he just wants to watch TV because he is a TV addict.

We have lovely views from both and when our friends are up at Smuggs, we enjoy sitting outside for hours on the deck chatting and having wine and beer and snacks.

I even like sitting out there with a cup of tea in the quiet morning hours.

Funny at home, we rarely sit on our deck- in fact we got rid of all our deck furniture and just use camp chairs if we feel like sitting there. We also have a tiny screened in porch and rarely sit in there either. Usually it is hot/humid in the summer and we prefer the air conditioning, but at our timeshares in the mountains it tends to bit cooler outside.

One thing we both don't like at our timeshares or at home is eating outside. And we are also not big on barbecuing, especially at our timeshares since both are on the top floors and we would have to go down to the ground level onto the lawn areas.

moonstone

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
The Beach Club at St. Augustine Beach, FL (1 floating week, purchased in 1982)

77,000 RCI points (Sunrise Ridge Resort, TN)
380295_514908738533738_457669347_n.jpg

We use the patio/balcony nearly every day, often several times a day, depending on it's location. The photo above (excuse shirtless DH) is the best
timeshare balcony we have ever had. It is a 2 bedroom plus den unit at Palm Aire, in Pompano Beach Florida. The unit is in the middle of the outer
bend of the building and is huge with the balcony the running length of the unit. I was standing in the middle. The only problem was it didn't have much
of a view and faced north west. We love the balconies at our home resort in St Augustine Beach especially when we get an ocean front unit.

~Diane

Helaine

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Playa Grande
Fiesta Americana
I love balconies and I'm outside much of the time. Fresh air, a little shade, some food or a book hmmm perfect!

dougp26364

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grand Chateau
Marriott Shadow Ridge
Marriott Ocean Pointe
Marriott Destination Club Points
Hilton Grand Vacation Club Las Vegas Blvd
Grand Colorado on Peak 8
Spinnaker French Quarter Resort Branson
I always enjoy sitting on the patio at my timeshare. I find it relaxing and love watching the views. It is a daily ritual, weather permitting. If I am not out and about doing things I pop out on the patio, that is why view is important to me. Even when trading I avoid places with no patios.

This past week I am staying at a resort where I can see a high end hotel with about 150 rooms with patios with views across from me . It’s day 5 and only 3 times I saw someone sitting on those patios. Now granted, most times I am not looking, very random but it made me wonder do you use your patio and is it important that you have one in your unit?

We generally enjoy our timeshare patio and, if the table is large enough, sometimes eat a meal or two on the patio. I won’t say you’ll see me out on it unless you’re really watching. I enjoy it, but don’t spend long hours using it. Maybe a few morning moments or moments in the evening but overall not a lot of time.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
Yes and Yes -- We always try to reserve units with a balcony and frequently use it during our down times throughout our stays.

plpgma

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Wyndham Palm-Aire
380295_514908738533738_457669347_n.jpg

We use the patio/balcony nearly every day, often several times a day, depending on it's location. The photo above (excuse shirtless DH) is the best
timeshare balcony we have ever had. It is a 2 bedroom plus den unit at Palm Aire, in Pompano Beach Florida. The unit is in the middle of the outer
bend of the building and is huge with the balcony the running length of the unit. I was standing in the middle. The only problem was it didn't have much
of a view and faced north west. We love the balconies at our home resort in St Augustine Beach especially when we get an ocean front unit.

~Diane
I love this shot! We own at Palm Aire but have never been to it -- although I've been told that it is a very nice resort. Judging by this impressive balcony, I would have to agree!

jjking42

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
WKV and SVV, Wyndham Canterbury, Wyndham Flagstaff
Only if it has a great view like the ocean, Mountain, Lake, or City skyline then I will spend some time out there otherwise I prefer privacy and to eat all meals inside. I don't spend much time in a timeshare other than sleeping and eating breakfast

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do not like a patio because you are on the ground level and you lose some privacy. Maybe, when we visit Hawaii in 2020 we will ask for a villa with a patio.

Last edited:

AnnaS

TUG Member
Reaction score
Love having a patio or balcony. It was even more important/needed when the "kids" were young. Hubby and I could sit out there while they were sleeping.

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I do not like patios because you are on the ground level and you lose some privacy. Maybe, when we visit Hawaii in 2020 we will ask for a villa with a patio.
Even thou I said patio I meant to encompass terraces or any outdoor seating whether on the main floor or on higher floor.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Even thou I said patio I meant to encompass terraces or any outdoor seating whether on the main floor or on higher floor.
I think most of us took it that way. :)

There is at least one resort in Hawaii where the only dining seating is out on the lanai/balcony.

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
Last week we stayed at the Marriott's Barony on Hilton Head and did not use the balcony because the Restaurant/Bar in the courtyard was blaring out carribean music right under our balcony. The funny part was only the outdoor speaker closest to us seem to be working and all the others turned off.
I enjoy peaceful time at the ocean and can't understand why people bring their boomboxes to the beach and play it loud enough to "entertain all around". Guess I've reached the old foggy state.

foggy-golden-gate-bridge-chuck-kuhn.jpg

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess, I took have reach that old foggy state. After, I retired and went back to job,
some years later; wearing a suit and tie every day. The millennial group called me an old dinosaur.

The dress code was casual everyday.

I am proud to be an old dinosaur and my mind may be in a foggy state. LOL

Last edited:

mjm1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott: Resorts and Destination Club Points;
Westin Kierland Villas;
HGVC Flamingo & Blvd;
Hyatt Pinon Pointe
We absolutely love having a balcony (lanai) in our timeshare units. And we enjoy using it weather permitting. It's especially nice when we have a great view and it's not too hot from the sun shining on it. While we enjoy being outside, we don't like to bake in the sun. Been there and done that when we were younger.

Best regards.

Mike

bbodb1

TUG Member
Reaction score
High radiation belt of the Northern Hemisphere
Resorts Owned
RCI Weeks: LaCosta Beach Club, RCI Points: Oakmont Resort, Vacation Village at Parkway. Wyndham: CWA and La Belle Maison, and WorldMark.
I guess, I took have reach that old foggy state. After, I retired and went back to job,
some years later; wearing a suit and tie every day. The millennial group called me an old dinosaur.

The dress code was casual everyday.

I am proud to be an old dinosaur and my mind may be in a foggy state. LOL
This post made me think of Robert DeNiro in the Intern - a very enjoyable movie if you haven't seen it

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
Not really. Mainly I open the door when I've burned the popcorn or breakfast to clear out the smoke. :shrug: We aren't in our unit that much.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook

I am the same. I hate noise anywhere. When I go to the lake in NH I try to get there very early in the morning before the kids camps show up.

I am a good candidate for my own private pool- except I live in the Northeast

Eric B

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vacation Village, Wyndham, WorldMark, Vistana, Vidanta, Flora Farms, HGVC Max, and some independents
Love the patios at the resorts we frequent that have them for the most part. Some even have pools on them and are great for cooling off on a hot day in Mexico.

Luanne

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
There was only one lanai on the Big Island that we didn't use much. Problem was that the a/c unit vented out to the lanai and there was always hot air blowing onto it. Not pleasant to be out there, and not much of a view either. This was one of our least pleasant stays in Kona. I think it was a Worldmark.