• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

WDW during Thanksgiving Week - Crazy?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Thinking about doing Orlando during Thanksgiving week 2018. We would want to visit DisneyWorld, of course. Is that totally crazy? Will it be packed and insane?

mj2vacation

Reaction score
It is not as busy as Christmas week, which is less busy than New Year’s week.

Touringplans.com has good insight into crowds. They offer some data for free, some paid for.

It will be busy, but there are really not many truly slow times left. Plan ahead, pack so,e extra patience, and have fun!

hhoope01

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've found the Undercover Tourist Crowd calendar to be as good (or better) than most others: Undercover Tourist November 2018 Calendar.

According to their estimation the parks will be at 8 or 9 out of 10 for crowd levels for that week. And yes, that is probably less than Christmas to New Years, but it will still be one of the most crowded weeks of the year. So if you actually want to ride anything, you better get your Fastpass' as early as you can. If you wait until the day before or the day you go to the park to get your Fastpass selections, you may find there are none left to get. And expect multiple hour waits for anything else.

bendadin

TUG Member
Reaction score
The week before Thanksgiving is absolutely fabulous and I would certainly choose that option instead of Thanksgiving. It is tucked between Jersey Week and Thanksgiving. Out of my 10 WDW trips in the past two years, that week was the absolute best for crowds and weather.

Touring Plans for November 13-19: 5, 4, 5, 3, 4, 6, 7.
November 20-26: 9, 9, 10, 8, 9, 8, 6.

The week after Thanksgiving looks even better. So is hopping in before Thanksgiving and doing a mid-week to mid-week an option? Getting a dining reservation will be a different matter, though.

Talent312

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
As someone who's been many times before (live 2hrs away), I can say:

Insane? Yes... TG week is notoriously bad.
But you'll be in good company with hordes of equally insane peep (a/k/a unwashed masses).
IMHO, a better plan would be to visit the week after, on weekdays.

See: http://www.dadsguidetowdw.com/disney-world-crowd-calendars-2018.html

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
We went last year during what schedules said was the least crowded week of the year - first week of December. But I’d really rather not pull our son out of school much so that’s why I was considering Thanksgiving. I can’t handle Summer heat so that’s out. Winter break is out now too for other reasons.

I’m really good with the fast pass thing so that’s no problem - I’ll plan and schedule

We are thinking we’d visit the Kennedy Space Center again as well. And actually enjoy the resort for a day too, which we didn’t do last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Luanne

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Lea at Maui Hill
San Diego Country Estates
Worst crowds I ever saw, this was at Disneyland, were the day after Thanksgiving.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Well I went ahead and booked it. Hoping we can do it. We booked a room at Hilton Grand Vacations Club At Tuscany Village for Thanksgiving 2018.
I think my plan is to do Disney on Mon-Wed and do other local stuff the other days. And this time enjoy the resort for one day too, which we didn't do last time at Bluegreen Fountains.
Anyone know, will the pools be heated then?

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
The week before Thanksgiving is absolutely fabulous and I would certainly choose that option instead of Thanksgiving. It is tucked between Jersey Week and Thanksgiving. Out of my 10 WDW trips in the past two years, that week was the absolute best for crowds and weather.

Touring Plans for November 13-19: 5, 4, 5, 3, 4, 6, 7.
November 20-26: 9, 9, 10, 8, 9, 8, 6.

The week after Thanksgiving looks even better. So is hopping in before Thanksgiving and doing a mid-week to mid-week an option? Getting a dining reservation will be a different matter, though.
Go to MyDisney.com, you can make reservations now for fast passes and dining.Good Luck.

Sea Six

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Club Regency - Marco Island
Lagunamar - Cancun
Vistana Villages Key West (2) - Orlando
Go to MyDisney.com, you can make reservations now for fast passes and dining.Good Luck.
Not for 2018. Dining starts at 6 months out, FastPass at 30 days unless you are at a Disney Resort, which they are not.

Talent312

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HGVC & GTS
I have FP's for next week: Wed at Epcot... Thur at MK... Fri at AK.
Today, DW says let's do AK another time (we have annual passes).
What? And give up those FP's? Too bad I can't sell them. :doh:

Last edited:

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
Yes, we want to go 2018. I don't want to travel soon. We have an elderly cat who has been hanging onto life since the Summer, exceeding expectations. But we can't leave him now, nor can I euthanize him just to travel.

Saintsfanfl

TUG Member
Reaction score
Florida schools are all out Thanksgiving week and there are no blackout days during that time for the cheap Florida resident annual passes. This makes for quite a few Florida locals at the parks that week. Still not horrible though.

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanksgiving for us was the best time to visit WDW; crowds counts were lower and that Florida humidity was lower.
Please just enjoy your vacation at WDW.

Inhislove

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
We did the resort day on Thanksgiving itself in 2014 and had a great day after at the Magic Kingdom, compared with friends who basically missed their Thanksgiving dinner due to crowds! We have eaten holiday meals several times at Port Orleans- around $15 for a plate of traditional goodies including dessert and without the crowds at lunch time.

Mon-Weds is also probably a good plan for parks!

bankr63

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Vistana Resort Orlando (2BR, Deeded Wk10) , Silver Lake Resort Orlando (3BRLO)
Well I went ahead and booked it. Hoping we can do it. We booked a room at Hilton Grand Vacations Club At Tuscany Village for Thanksgiving 2018.
I think my plan is to do Disney on Mon-Wed and do other local stuff the other days. And this time enjoy the resort for one day too, which we didn't do last time at Bluegreen Fountains.
Anyone know, will the pools be heated then?
You might want to flip your plans around a bit, by watching the crowd calendars carefully. EVERYBODY tends to do Disney in the same order, starting Sunday or Monday at MK and working their way through the parks. Pick the lowest crowd days at each park you want to visit, and then work in the other attractions around that.
We tour regularly during March Break and I cannot stress enough how important watching the crowd calendars can be! I can come home having been on all the rides I wanted to hit, with reasonable waits and low stress, and then hear about the horror stories from others who were there that same week, but in parks on the wrong days, following the huddled masses. Disney, Universal, and Orlando in general take some thought and a plan of attack to be enjoyable.

ETA: Check out this year's calendar on UndercoverTourist to get an idea of what next year will likely look like. Their best days for MK that week this year are Wednesday and Turkeyday.

Last edited:

puppymommo

TUG Member
Reaction score
Worst crowds I ever saw, this was at Disneyland, were the day after Thanksgiving.

Worst crowds I ever saw, also at Disneyland, was 4th of July! Incredible. Not just lines, just so many people walking around. That day we mostly just went to the shows. It was OK because we were annual passholders and went about once a month. But a bad time to go for your only trip.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
You might want to flip your plans around a bit, by watching the crowd calendars carefully.
Thanks, yeah I will keep watching. I think we only want to do Epcot and MK. We didn't really like Hollywood Studios much and we're not interested in Animal Kingdom or the waterpark.
There's a lot of other stuff we want to do in the Olando area too so we might be forced to do WDW on the holiday since that other stuff will probably be closed.

My plan is basically to use the fastpass system like we did last time but essentially ONLY do fastpasses this time.

silentg

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
Since you are staying at a timeshare, you can order your Thanksgiving dinner from Publix. Or if you enjoy making Thanks giving dinner buy a turkey and cook it in your kitchen. No crowds except for your family. We went to Disney MK on Thanksgiving once, long ago. It was very crowded so we don’t do that anymore. I agree with others go the day before or day after Thanksgiving.
Check the MyDisney.com website later as your vacation gets closer. Then you can make dining and fast pass reservations.
Have Fun!
Silentg

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I canceled that trip. So I still don't know what the crowds are like.

DrQ

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
HICV, Westgate (second cousin, twice removed)
We went about 18 years ago during TG. The crowds were not bad during the early part of the week. At Wednesday afternoon the crowds picked up significantly.

As clueless tourist, we were able to get a seat for four on Thanksgiving Day at the Coral Reef Restaurant right by the aquarium glass without reservations! I would not recommend this, but we lucked out with a generous hostess!

Firepath

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DVC
We went TG week in 2014. Agree that the crowds built as the week progressed. We arrived before park opening each day and stayed only until mid day or so. After that the parks were very crowded. If you go, just make sure you are there plenty early. I'm sure it's even busier now than a few years ago, and more so with Star Wars Land scheduled to open about that time in 2019.

Colt Seavers

Reaction score
If Thanksgiving at Disney World is crazy then call me crazy because we were there this year. While it was crowded it was slightly less than I expected and significantly lighter than the busiest times we have seen at either of the Disney locations.

The best plan I found was to focus on earlier times for the FastPass+ reservations that you make online since you cannot add any other ones until all three are used. Even if you have to pass on one ride that you really want with a later time it is better to free up the ability to get more passes at the expense of waiting in the line for the desired ride. I also was able to improve our FastPass+ choices and even add dining reservations by checking frequently during the days leading up to our times at the parks

What surprised me most was that I kept tracking the wait times on the Disney app during the weeks after we were there and the times for the popular rides only went down a little if at all. Another consideration is that we were told some rides would be closed the week after Thanksgiving for scheduled maintenance to avoid closing them during the busier periods.