• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Electric Car Battery Charging Stations at resorts

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I was just at Surfwatch a couple weeks ago, did not see the EV stations?

classiclincoln

TUG Member
Reaction score
You can add these two (2) resorts that have added charges at their timeshare resorts. Marriott's Surfwatch, HHI,SC & Marriott's OceanWatch, Myrtle beach,SC.

The last time we were at Ocean Watch, their "charger" was a dedicated parking spot with a 110 outlet. There are 2 chargers across the street at the hotel.

geist1223

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark 97,000 Credits
DRI Cabo Azul 50,500
Royal Solaris San Jose del Cabo
Who pays for the Electricity?

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
The HOA, out of the MFs.
Well, yeah. But it isn't much. Our car has a 17 kWh battery. If it was down 10 kWh and the electricity rate is $.15 (at home, it's $.08), it would take a buck and a half of power. Some of the pay chargers say that their average bill is $0.75. We have found no discernable difference in our power bill since having the plug-in car.

Last edited:

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Well, yeah. But it isn't much. Our car has a 17 KwH battery. If it was down 10 KwH and the electricity rate is $.15 (at home, it's $.08), it would take a buck and a half of power. Some of the pay chargers say that their average bill is $0.75. We have found no discernable difference in our power bill since having the plug-in car.
Interesting.
Here in the UK the cost is 35p per kWh, so approx $.45 per kWh or some 3x the US cost!
https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/electric/how-much-ev-charging-and-running-cost/
Let’s consider a 100kWh Tesla Model S. A typical public rapid charging point in the UK currently charges around 35p per kWh, so the cost is 100 x 35p = £35 if you were to theoretically charge from completely empty to full. Switch to a cheaper home supply, which could cost 12p per kWh on a good-value overnight tariff, and the maths works out at a more palatable 100 x 12p = £12.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting.
Here in the UK the cost is 35p per kWh, so approx $.45 per kWh or some 3x the US cost!
Let’s consider a 100kWh Tesla Model S. A typical public rapid charging point in the UK currently charges around 35p per kWh, so the cost is 100 x 35p = £35 if you were to theoretically charge from completely empty to full. Switch to a cheaper home supply, which could cost 12p per kWh on a good-value overnight tariff, and the maths works out at a more palatable 100 x 12p = £12.
Great article in the carmagazine link though is understandably Brit centric. It clearly defined the differences between available EVs, PHEVs, and has 'real world' comparisons of cost of operation. Oh, and some 'wishbook' stuff for Christmas morning- no pony from Santa? How about a 198 mph, 7,000 horsepower electric car? WOW!

Jim

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

I guess you are comparing day rates, wouldn't most people charge at night? We use $0 chargers where we can. For example, when I fly out of DFW airport, parking has EV chargers and you pay nothing to leave them in an EV spot on your trip. When we go to Branson, we use the EV chargers there and pay $0 the whole time we are there. Etc.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I guess you are comparing day rates, wouldn't most people charge at night? We use $0 chargers where we can. For example, when I fly out of DFW airport, parking has EV chargers and you pay nothing to leave them in an EV spot on your trip. When we go to Branson, we use the EV chargers there and pay $0 the whole time we are there. Etc.
Mostly yes, you would try to charge at night.
I haven’t switched to EV yet, so I am still learning.
We live in the countryside and although we mostly do short trips, we will need to do some much longer trips too which will require several daytime stops/charges.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Mostly yes, you would try to charge at night.
I haven’t switched to EV yet, so I am still learning.
We live in the countryside and although we mostly do short trips, we will need to do some much longer trips too which will require several daytime stops/charges.

Yeah, here in the US, that's not always practical or easy. So, that's why I got the Chevy Volt, when battery runs dry, it simply uses it's second engine, gas. We have at most 2 trips a month that require any gas at all. A tank typically lasts 4 months.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Yeah, here in the US, that's not always practical or easy. So, that's why I got the Chevy Volt, when battery runs dry, it simply uses it's second engine, gas. We have at most 2 trips a month that require any gas at all. A tank typically lasts 4 months.
Understood and that may be the way I need to go too.

Last edited:

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the current state of EV development, we simply need more range than they are capable of. The PHEV Honda gives us the range, and qualified for the $7500 tax credit lightening the sticker price. Win-win for us.

Jim

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
2 Marriott Newport Coasts-PLAT;
1 Marriott Desert Springs I-RED;
1 Marriott Timber Lodge - Summer-PLAT;
3 StarElite Vistana: 2 Westin Lagunamar-PLAT
I'm quite happy with my Tesla S and 3, that both give me 300 mile ranges on a full charge; no different than my ICE Jeep Cherokee 4x4...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
At the current state of EV development, we simply need more range than they are capable of. The PHEV Honda gives us the range, and qualified for the $7500 tax credit lightening the sticker price. Win-win for us.

Jim

Yep, got that too, the tax credit. Made the car no more expensive than any decent non PHEV car. Love the Volt, however, it was recently discontinued as Chevy seems to think no one wants cars any more. I think it was the second best selling PHEV. I guess I am in the minority, I still like cars, and despise SUVs.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm quite happy with my Tesla S and 3, that both give me 300 mile ranges on a full charge; no different than my ICE Jeep Cherokee 4x4...

In the current state of things, what do you do if you have a 1,000 mile drive, just curious how that works with the Tesla. Or, do you simply not do that?

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:

That is what is so cool about these cars - Tesla has a world-wide Tesla SuperCharging network (www.tesla.com/supercharger), world-wide, where I can stop and charge-up along major routes throughout the United States. Because I'm an early adopter, I have free super-charging, so my fuel costs are zero, and I'm getting OTA software updates every month or so, which keeps the cars up-to-date... NO FUNCTIONAL OBSOLESCENCE, which is a common theme among auto manufacturers, forcing you to buy another car every 3 years or so... NOT with Tesla... Best car ever driven, and I've been a car geek my entire life (along with TimeShare - haha)

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
That is what is so cool about these cars - Tesla has a world-wide Tesla SuperCharging network (www.tesla.com/supercharger), world-wide, where I can stop and charge-up along major routes throughout the United States. Because I'm an early adopter, I have free super-charging, so my fuel costs are zero, and I'm getting OTA software updates every month or so, which keeps the cars up-to-date... NO FUNCTIONAL OBSOLESCENCE, which is a common theme among auto manufacturers, forcing you to buy another car every 3 years or so... NOT with Tesla... Best car ever driven, and I've been a car geek my entire life (along with TimeShare - haha)

Yes, I understand early adopters got that, which is great of course. But how long does that take if you have to stop?

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
Yes, I understand early adopters got that, which is great of course. But how long does that take if you have to stop?

Average charge time is 25-45 minutes depending on next SuperCharging station and current battery level - Navigation is integrally staged to get you from SuperCharger to the next one on your route. Usually there is a Starbucks next to these station stops, so I've become a Gold member at Starbucks...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Average charge time is 25-45 minutes depending on next SuperCharging station and current battery level - Navigation is integrally staged to get you from SuperCharger to the next one on your route. Usually there is a Starbucks next to these station stops, so I've become a Gold member at Starbucks...

That would be doable then. At least for more cross country driving and more populated states. In states like mine, there are only 2 supercharging stations and it would be impossible to even make the drive to certain places we go. As an example, unless my map is wrong, from Oklahoma City supercharger to Kenton OK is 350 or so miles one way. I could divert to Amarillo TX but it's still over 150 miles one way from there and that means no local driving. Hopefully, over time, this will continue to improve. I suspect the push to electric vehicles will only grow.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
We would get more miles on electric if we'd just stay home, but we have a second home 125 miles away, and no handy, free public charger there, so we simply run on hybrid mode on the highway. The Honda still gives 40 to 50 mpg on gas.

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
That would be doable then. At least for more cross country driving and more populated states. In states like mine, there are only 2 supercharging stations and it would be impossible to even make the drive to certain places we go. As an example, unless my map is wrong, from Oklahoma City supercharger to Kenton OK is 350 or so miles one way. I could divert to Amarillo TX but it's still over 150 miles one way from there and that means no local driving. Hopefully, over time, this will continue to improve. I suspect the push to electric vehicles will only grow.

It'll continue to get better as time goes on. If you ever have the chance to drive one, give it a whirl... It's really fun...

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
It'll continue to get better as time goes on. If you ever have the chance to drive one, give it a whirl... It's really fun...
There is a SuperCharger in Twin Falls, but none (that I am aware of) in any direction for over 200 miles. We drove to Las Vegas, 430 miles on Sunday with no delays which would have been necessary with any full EV. Out here in the sparsely populated West, the PHEV is the only practical alternative. Perhaps over time that will change, but we didn't want to wait.

Incidentally, on your Teslas, how much does cold weather effect range? We bought the Honda in August (hot) and it charged to over 50 miles range. Now we barely get 40 miles electric on a good charge - and the first miles go pretty quickly with the climate control & heated seats, & just greater rolling resistance of cold weather.

Jim

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:
I find that warm weather enhances range, but cold weather does lessen it to a degree. Tesla thought of that also, as it has automatic heating elements that keep the batteries at a decent temperature, so as not to adversely affect range too much in cold weather. Lots of SuperChargers are being planned in Eye-Duh-Hoe:

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bounds=46.856766182528695,-106.83188454999998,41.14179801223694,-122.65219704999998&zoom=7&filters=store,service,supercharger,destination charger&search=Idaho, USA

SeaDoc

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Chairman's Club:

Lots of SuperChargers for Oklahoma are being planned...

https://www.tesla.com/findus?v=2&bo...m=7&filters=supercharger&search=Oklahoma, USA