• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

2020 Vacation Plan... Can it work?

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott's - Ko Olina, Shadow Ridge Villages & Imperial Palms Villas
In 2020 I will have 2 weeks to use, a week at Imperial Palms in Orlando and a week at Ko Olina resort in Oahu.

Both of my kids are in College (different colleges) so now we vacation either the first or second week of January and sometime in early or late summer. We have discussed our options and we would like to go to Orlando in January and try to go to the Big Island in May.

So here is my plan...

January
- Book Orlando
- Convert Ko Olina to Points
- Book Orlando with Points
- Place an ongoing request first search in II for Big Island in May and August

Scenario A) If we match Big Island...
- Use remaining points to add on to Big Island and/or Orlando
- Use remaining points to book another trip

Scenario B) If we do not match Big Island...
- Book Big Island with points
- Cancel II request first

A question that I think I know the answer to that will probably kill this plan is... Will any Big Island Marriott ever show up in II? I assume they will not sell deeded weeks into this new resort and only points. If that is the case we probably will do Scenario B.

Am I missing anything here?

JIMinNC

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Marvin, NC (Charlotte) & Hilton Head Island, SC
Resorts Owned
Marriott:
Maui Ocean Club
Waiohai Beach Club
Barony Beach Club
Abound ClubPoints
HGVC:
HGVC at Sea World
The Marriott Waikoloa on the Big Island is points only, but that doesn't mean there won't be any weeks in II. Marriott does deposit some weeks they control into II, and I do recall some scattered reports on TUG of Marriott Waikoloa weeks showing up in II. But having said that, I would expect that it would be much more likely to be able to get the Big Island with points rather than II. In your planning, I would think you should plan to book Big Island with points.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
In 2020 I will have 2 weeks to use, a week at Imperial Palms in Orlando and a week at Ko Olina resort in Oahu.

Both of my kids are in College (different colleges) so now we vacation either the first or second week of January and sometime in early or late summer. We have discussed our options and we would like to go to Orlando in January and try to go to the Big Island in May.

So here is my plan...

January
- Book Orlando
- Convert Ko Olina to Points
- Book Orlando with Points
- Place an ongoing request first search in II for Big Island in May and August

Scenario A) If we match Big Island...
- Use remaining points to add on to Big Island and/or Orlando
- Use remaining points to book another trip

Scenario B) If we do not match Big Island...
- Book Big Island with points
- Cancel II request first

A question that I think I know the answer to that will probably kill this plan is... Will any Big Island Marriott ever show up in II? I assume they will not sell deeded weeks into this new resort and only points. If that is the case we probably will do Scenario B.

Am I missing anything here?
Assuming you need a single 2 BR and are set on these locations, I'd use Orlando for Orlando and points from Ko Olina for the BI. If you have any deposits or 2019 weeks, you might try for a 2 BR in Orlando using a studio of some type (? 2019 Ko Olina week) and pay the upgrade fee to a 2 BR. If you're set on exchanging to HI, I would not just list the BI alone.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
So I booked Imperial Palms today and attempted to do a request first in Interval International for the Waikoloa on the Big Island. I immediately hit a snag with my plan because request first only allows a trade through the date of my booking so it looks like we will just cash in Ko Olina and book Waikoloa using points.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
So I booked Imperial Palms today and attempted to do a request first in Interval International for the Waikoloa on the Big Island. I immediately hit a snag with my plan because request first only allows a trade through the date of my booking so it looks like we will just cash in Ko Olina and book Waikoloa using points.
For MVC to MVC Interval exchanges, you can do a “Marriott Special Request First” which does allow you to request a trade beyond the check in date of the week you have booked.

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
For MVC to MVC Interval exchanges, you can do a “Marriott Special Request First” which does allow you to request a trade beyond the check in date of the week you have booked.
I have never heard of that! How do you do that?

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
I have never heard of that! How do you do that?
Our Interval contacts know all about this, as we use it regularly.
From the Interval Members Guide
“The applicable Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member must select from the Deposit First, Request First, or Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option exchange methods at the time of initiating a Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange request under this section. The Special Marriott Vacation Club Internal Exchange Option may be used where a Club Program Exchange Member or Individual Member places an exchange request at least 75 days prior to the commencement date of his or her Week, and requests travel dates that fall after his or her assigned Week”

jpc763

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Thanks Barry, I will need to call in as I cannot seem to find that option on the website.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score
Thanks Barry, I will need to call in as I cannot seem to find that option on the website.
Correct, it is only available by phone currently.