• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Is anyone else doing KonMari?

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
After watching the Netflix series I read one of Marie Kondo's books and joined two facebook groups dedicated to her method. I have finished with clothing and books. Now I'm moving onto papers. Already I feel like it's making a big difference!

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
Marriott Frenchman’s Cove
I’m not doing it but I really need to! I have very little closet space and a tendency to hoard. I should really get started. What are the FB groups? I should join there. Maybe I’ll watch the show this weekend for inspiration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WinniWoman

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
I like to throw almost everything out. I am super organized and neat. My brain can't handle messes and chaos. Too OCD.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I like to throw almost everything out. I am super organized and neat. My brain can't handle messes and chaos. Too OCD.

I need you to come to my house!

SueDonJ

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Barony Beach and SurfWatch
This is going to sound like a shill post but believe me, I have nothing to do with this company except I'm a very satisfied customer!

The easiest way to remain organized is to first make sure that everything has a place. I've used a DIY company to install systems in 6 closets over the last few years and can't say enough good things about easyclosets.com - easy planning tool (or available designers if you want them,) good quality product, fairly easy installation and they back up their products with excellent customer service. Check it out.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
I'm pretty good at purging but Marie Kondo helped me with the hardest thing...finally letting go of expensive things. Her question, "do you want this in your life going forward?" has helped me let go of those final things.

I find her show quite inspiring.

VegasBella

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Carlsbad Inn
Avenue Plaza
Riviera Beach & Spa
Aquamarine Villas
I’m not doing it but I really need to! I have very little closet space and a tendency to hoard. I should really get started. What are the FB groups? I should join there. Maybe I’ll watch the show this weekend for inspiration.
The one I like most is the 26 week challenge group. But it's closed right now. They open it at the beginning of a new challenge which happens twice a year at January and June or July I think (not sure). Anyway, it's nice and detailed about what to do each week and lots of members who post before and after pictures to help motivate you. There are other groups too though, just search Marie Kondo or KonMari.

WinniWoman

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Innseason Pollard Brook
This is going to sound like a shill post but believe me, I have nothing to do with this company except I'm a very satisfied customer!

The easiest way to remain organized is to first make sure that everything has a place. I've used a DIY company to install systems in 6 closets over the last few years and can't say enough good things about easyclosets.com - easy planning tool (or available designers if you want them,) good quality product, fairly easy installation and they back up their products with excellent customer service. Check it out.

And instead of putting it down- put it away.

Passepartout

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish my DW would get this message. But, I'm not bringing it up. Sometimes you just have to choose your fights, and this one isn't worth fighting. I'm convinced that (most) people just don't see their own clutter.

Congratulations to those who've taken control. You're my heroes.

Jim

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
The one I like most is the 26 week challenge group. But it's closed right now. They open it at the beginning of a new challenge which happens twice a year at January and June or July I think (not sure). Anyway, it's nice and detailed about what to do each week and lots of members who post before and after pictures to help motivate you. There are other groups too though, just search Marie Kondo or KonMari.

I just looked and I’m in a challenge group called Bowl Full of Lemons or something! Maybe I won’t be far behind if I start now! What I need is hubs to participate...

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I'm convinced that (most) people just don't see their own clutter.
Jim
True story. Years ago I was having a bit of a meltdown over my messy house - due mostly to toys everywhere. My husband, who isn't bothered in the least by clutter or general messiness, asked me what was wrong. I told him that the mess was making me crazy. He stopped talking, looked slowly around the room, then sincerely asked "what mess"? That's when I understood why I was the only one cleaning. Since then he has discovered how to "see" the mess and is very helpful with tidying now. So you are right, they just don't see it. I can spot a piece of lint from 50 feet. It's probably best to live somewhere in the middle.

b2bailey

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
While visiting my granddaughter recently, I heard 'someone ' speaking Japanese. Wandered into the room to find her watching this lady on TV. Now that I understand the concept, I do hope said grandkid follows through. ( She and partner share a 400 sq ft granny unit, paying $1800 per month for the right to do so.) Thus the reason this granny retired in Palm Springs area rather than Santa Cruz CA. Plus I am enjoying weather being +20 degrees warmer today.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I've adopted the idea, but in a laissez-faire way. Rather than "I'm going to do the clothing now," as I come across things, I ask the question. I am getting rid of stuff. A lot of it is pantry items; things I bought that I thought I'd like/use, but never did.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've adopted the idea, but in a laissez-faire way. Rather than "I'm going to do the clothing now," as I come across things, I ask the question. I am getting rid of stuff. A lot of it is pantry items; things I bought that I thought I'd like/use, but never did.
That's my method too. Finally went through my freezer on Wednesday. I admitted that I bought things to try that we're not going to eat. I'm going to try to be more realistic when I go shopping.

Patri

Tug Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
I'm convinced that (most) people just don't see their own clutter.
Jim
Yep, that's me. The house is tidy, but I have been in it two years, and there are some storage bins I have not opened. I walk right by two near the piano that have CDs, photos, etc. I know some items can be tossed, but since I am on my way somewhere else when I pass, that moment is not the one to deal with them.

bnoble

TUG Member
Reaction score
I bought things to try that we're not going to eat.
I've decided that's okay, as long as I at least *try* it. And, mostly, I have. But, those dried white peaches at Trader Joe's that looked good? I did not like them. Rather than force myself to eat them, or just let them take up space, in the trash they went.

klpca

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've decided that's okay, as long as I at least *try* it. And, mostly, I have. But, those dried white peaches at Trader Joe's that looked good? I did not like them. Rather than force myself to eat them, or just let them take up space, in the trash they went.
Funny, mine were things from Trader Joe's too. One was a mushroom risotto, but others in the house won't eat mushrooms - what was I thinking? And my daughter picked up some other frozen things that were just weird. No one really wanted to experiment so they stayed in the freezer. Eventually they were just too "old" in my brain, and again they were avoided but still sitting there. I finally conceded and threw them out this week.

Theiggy

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Aruba Surf Club
I’m guilty of buying “things” I don’t use. Like that Air Fryer XL I bought on Cyber Monday. What a deal I got on it (or so I thought). I haven’t tried it yet, and apparently the thought never crossed my mind that I literally have no place to put it. My dog chewed up the box so I can’t even return it!!

Snazzylass

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Sedona Pines
I’m guilty of buying “things” I don’t use. Like that Air Fryer XL I bought on Cyber Monday. What a deal I got on it (or so I thought). I haven’t tried it yet, and apparently the thought never crossed my mind that I literally have no place to put it. My dog chewed up the box so I can’t even return it!!

There's a great Weight Watchers recipe to make bagels from self-rising flour and soda or something and I think you have to "bake" them in an air flyer...but I digress!
Yes, the conversation I have with myself when I am out shopping, is: "Do I need it today?" "Do I need to store it in my house until I'm ready to use it?" "Will it be here the next time I'm here?" All those questions save me from putting any impulse purchases in my cart. Actually, it's a recent luxury. When my kids were small, I had the rule that if it wasn't on my list when I came into the store, it won't be in my cart when I leave.
So, yes, that's the real key - being more selective with our purchases :)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
Just last weekend I started the Netflix series. Four episodes of Japanese was enough for me, but I did immediately get up during the first episode and left it playing while I redid my pj and my scarf drawer so that everything is available at a glance because they are now folded and stood on end rather than on top of each other. Sock drawer told me I have way too many socks if they take up a whole drawer, (doesn't help that every time I get an epidural I come home with another pair of paw pad socks), I got rid of maybe four pair that I know were over 30 years old based on their color. I also noticed I somehow no longer own even a single pair of white athletic anklets. Have lots of pairs that almost disappear into the shoe, but those feel weird to me if I have long pants on. Going to try to force myself to use up some of my other socks before I replace any white anklets.

I am a great thrower awayer; just before we left on vacation I opened a cupboard door in my office and found about a dozen hand samples of window coverings I'd forgot we're in there (we retired at the end of Oct.). Cliff came in as I was humming happily as I put the boxes in the recycle can and the samples in the trash and commented that I was weird for enjoying trashing stuff.

Glynda

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Bluegreen Points Lodge Alley Inn.
Brewster Green (two weeks).
I am a great thrower awayer; just before we left on vacation I opened a cupboard door in my office and found about a dozen hand samples of window coverings I'd forgot we're in there (we retired at the end of Oct.). Cliff came in as I was humming happily as I put the boxes in the recycle can and the samples in the trash and commented that I was weird for enjoying trashing stuff.

I like throwing things away too. I especially love to clean out the refrigerator and pantry cabinets. My mother saves every tablespoon of food left over, even if she admits it wasn't good to begin with and/or has re-heated it several more times. When she travels to stay with others, the first thing I do after she's gone is gleefully toss all that stuff in the trash. I'm good at cleaning out my closet too. I make regular trips to Goodwill and give better things to a friend who takes them to consignment and keeps the money as I know she needs it. Yet there are a number of items that I think I'll wear someday. I really like them. I just don't have the right occasion to wear them or I don't reach for them when I do. Those are the hardest to get rid of. I've read the book and watched one episode on Netflix and well, someday...:)

clifffaith

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Worldmark
I like throwing things away too. I especially love to clean out the refrigerator and pantry cabinets. My mother saves every tablespoon of food left over, even if she admits it wasn't good to begin with and/or has re-heated it several more times. When she travels to stay with others, the first thing I do after she's gone is gleefully toss all that stuff in the trash. I'm good at cleaning out my closet too. I make regular trips to Goodwill and give better things to a friend who takes them to consignment and keeps the money as I know she needs it. Yet there are a number of items that I think I'll wear someday. I really like them. I just don't have the right occasion to wear them or I don't reach for them when I do. Those are the hardest to get rid of. I've read the book and watched one episode on Netflix and well, someday...:)

Cliff's mom's cooking skills declined rapidly after the age of 75, and his dad wouldn't eat much. When we'd arrive in Wichita Falls, first thing we'd do is take them out for dinner where his dad would chow down (and Mom would spend the meal saying "he won't eat all that" while he did). Second thing we'd do is as soon as they went to bed we'd empty all the mystery packets out of the refrigerator and toss them, then I'd temporarily empty the remaining stuff to wipe up the spills and mold, then wipe all the bottles, checking dates while I refilled the fridge. Before doing that I didn't even want a can of pop out of her fridge. We notice that although my mom has retained her skills, my dad doesn't eat much at home, but take him to a restaurant and we are taking home doggie bags while he is cleaning his plate and looking forward to dessert.