• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

sinemia in place of moviepass - my experience

chemteach

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
I was a huge moviepass fan until moviepass changed the rules to make it impossible to use the plan. I was happy before then - I went to about 3 movies a month. In December, I started hearing about Sinemia. I decided to give it a try, and I'm really happy I did! It's much better for me than moviepass. I can go to any theater. No network... I'm loving getting to purchase seats at Arclight cinemas (I don't know if these are anywhere outside of Los Angeles). These aren't in the moviepass network. They are great theaters with reserved seats. It's $7.99 a month to go to any 3 movies a month if you pay a full year in advance. No blackout dates or times. Any movie, any theater, any time. I did the family pass. Still $7.99 per month per person. But I can take anyone with me. So I got a two member pass, and I sometimes go with my partner and sometimes with my son or daughter. Works in all cities, so when I visited my daughter at her college last week, we went to a movie using the membership. So far, so good. Just a few things about Sinemia... If you are deciding between Sinemia and Moviepass, it's best to pay an extra $15 per person (one time charge to get the physical Sinemia charge card. It makes it so there are no fees from Sinemia when you purchase tickets. (If you use Fandango, you do still have to pay the Fandango fees - same with any online ticket service, but you don't pay any fees to Sinemia. You just use the card from them. It was a little tricky the first time I used it to figure out the system... You have to find the movie you want to go to, then input the theater and time of the movie into Sinemia. Sinemia then activates your physical card for use as a charge card. Then you purchase the tickets with the card. You have to remember to "Check in" to the movie when you are at theater on the Sinemia app.

If you have any questions about Sinemia, I'm happy to answer! I think there is some way I can get people a $10 discount (I think I get a discount and you get a discount.). But I didn't post this to get the discount!! I'm just happy with the service and wanted to share. I got to see Into the Spiderverse at the ArcLight Cinerama dome in Los Angeles, (Tickets normally $17.50), Bohemian Rhapsody at the Sherman Oaks ArcLight (also normally $17.50 tickets) and The Kid Who Would Be King in San Luis Obispo ($13.50 tickets) the first month. We just started our second month of the membership, and I am looking forward to going out more often.

Before Moviepass and Sinemia, I went to movies about 4 times a year. It was just too expensive for a movie experience - and I enjoyed using Goldstar to see actual plays for about the same cost. Now I go to movies and plays. It's been a nice change.

A.Win

TUG Member
Reaction score
I loved Movie Pass in 2018. But for this year, I upgraded to the AMC A List Plan. It is $20/month and you can watch up to 3 movies per week. I think it is an excellent deal, especially when used for tickets that are nearly $20 each.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
I signed up for Sinema a few days ago before I saw your post. Now it says I have to wait 1-2 weeks before mine is setup in their system. I am not sure how exactly it works. I was one of the early on people with Moviepass. I dropped it a couple of months ago but when it was working was using it about 3/4 times per month also.

Will Sinema send me a debit/credit card? Not sure exactly how it works. I didn't like how for $10 the setup would happen automatically. I decided to wait the week.
Thanks
Chris

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Without the extra fee, it only took 1 day for us. Before a month or so ago, you had to book online, and, that cost you a convenience fee from the booking site, and, a $1.80 credit card fee. But they now issue cards again, and the card when used at the theater avoids any extra fees like MP was at the beginning. It should feel familiar. Currently, a good deal.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I signed up for Sinema a few days ago before I saw your post. Now it says I have to wait 1-2 weeks before mine is setup in their system. I am not sure how exactly it works. I was one of the early on people with Moviepass. I dropped it a couple of months ago but when it was working was using it about 3/4 times per month also.

Will Sinema send me a debit/credit card? Not sure exactly how it works. I didn't like how for $10 the setup would happen automatically. I decided to wait the week.
Thanks
Chris
You have to order the physical card. There is a place on the phone app to order it. It takes about 2 weeks to get the card so you want to order it soon. My Sinemia account took about 10 days to activate. I got the card a few days later.

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
You have to order the physical card. There is a place on the phone app to order it. It takes about 2 weeks to get the card so you want to order it soon. My Sinemia account took about 10 days to activate. I got the card a few days later.

It says its $24.99 to order a card. What about going cardless? This is really unclear how to use it...what happens after they activate the account?

thanks
Chris

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
It says its $24.99 to order a card. What about going cardless? This is really unclear how to use it...what happens after they activate the account?

thanks
Chris
When they first rolled it out it was $15. It is now $24.99 per ticket user. I have a 2 person plan and the cost is $49.98 With cardless the service fee is $1.80 per ticket. If you have to pay a convenience fee for booking online you have to pay that too. I have been going through facebook movies with waives the convenience fees for fandango and atom and amc.

No Fees for a Limited Time

In partnership with Fandango, Atom Tickets and AMC, Facebook will pay the convenience fees charged by these partners on movie tickets purchased through Facebook. This limited-time offer is available for tickets purchased in the US. This offer may be terminated at any time without prior notice at Facebook's discretion.

The discount will automatically be applied at checkout.

I believe if you book online you still pay the $1.80 processing fee with the physical card. It is only waived if you book at the movie theater by presenting the card.

chemteach

TUG Member
Reaction score
I paid $15 for the card, but $2 more a month for the membership. I guess they flipped the lower monthly rate for a higher price of the card...

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Now with free rollover of unused movies

cp73

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
DSV 1
When mine gets activated I will let you know how much it is. I think I signed up for the $8 per month for 3 movies. But I had to pay in advance for a year.