• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach Place Tower - Unreasonable Housekeeping charges after checkout

Inhislove

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Catalina Beach Club
This may be somewhat unrelated, but the Residence Inn next Harbour Lake tried to charge me an extra night on the basis that “luggage was found” in our unit at 2pm. The thing is- we had all our bags and had gone straight to a theme park after leaving the property at 11am. I knew we didn’t leave anything, and the charge was taken off at my insistence.

dioxide45

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Grande Vista
Marriott Harbour Lake
Sheraton Vistana Villages
Club Wyndham CWA
You are missing the point of my reply.
The Hawaiian resorts used to offer rice cookers in the past to cater more to the Japanese clientele. Perhaps they have just changed those out for Instapots now that those are more mainstream. Though I think they are likely there still as a replacement for the rice cookers.

dgf15215

TUG Member
Reaction score
I think you might not have realized that there is nothing Asian about Instantpot. It is a combination of a slow cooker and a pressure cooker. It is a Canadian creation. We use it to make split pea soup and lentil soup. If you are referring to the electric kettle, it is a British thing and not Asian.

I didn't suggest they were created in Asia, I assumed the electric kettle was British and but the Instapot I had no clue about, just figured it was a logical solution to provide a rice cooker as well as a generally popular cooking utensil. This evening around the grill there were a number of comments about the Instapot (actually an imitation Instapot) and some people had never seen one before. I think that tomorrow I'm going to go out and buy some rice, cilantro and scallions to make rice for a couple of upcoming meals.

suzannesimon

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Marriott Frenchman's Cove, Hyatt Sunset Harbor, Harborside at Atlantis, Marriott Aruba Surf Club, Marriott Grande Ocean, Westin Kierland Villas, Westin Lagunamar
I think if there is a $250 charge for not cleaning properly, it should be on a notice somewhere on the wall, or at least mentioned in the resort information binder in the units.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
811BB28D-201A-454A-B710-FE18CDB96C97.jpeg

As promised earlier, just got to DSV, took about 30 seconds to find the info. It's rarely in the same place as other Marriotts, ymmv. The above picture shows at this resort what book it is in, the bottom shows what it says about checkout. At Surfwatch, it was in the activites handout, so, not in any resort booklet there.

74DF329B-1459-4E1A-A2C3-D5F2F7230BC6.jpeg

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
View attachment 10253

As promised earlier, just got to DSV, took about 30 seconds to find the info. It's rarely in the same place as other Marriotts, ymmv. The above picture shows at this resort what book it is in, the bottom shows what it says about checkout. At Surfwatch, it was in the activites handout, so, not in any resort booklet there.

View attachment 10252

They should disclose there is a check out fee if certain things are not done. The book does not say you MUST do this or get charged $250 (or any fee at all). When we last stayed at some MVCs, I do not recall being told I need to do anything special at checkout. Frankly, I assumed that with our housekeeping at check out, that the housekeeper would do what was needed to get the unit in shape for the next guests.

We were not charged at checkout so I assume we left the units in acceptable condition. I do recall last time I stayed at Newport Coast that I cleaned out the refrigerator and put all the dishes in the dishwasher but no one told me to do it or I would be charged.

I am not opposed to having a charge if things are not left in a certain condition though. I just think it needs to be clearly disclosed. I think posting the kitchen rules in the kitchen would make sense as I never think to read the room guides although they could tell you to be sure to read it, I guess.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
They should disclose there is a check out fee if certain things are not done. The book does not say you MUST do this or get charged $250 (or any fee at all). When we last stayed at some MVCs, I do not recall being told I need to do anything special at checkout. Frankly, I assumed that with our housekeeping at check out, that the housekeeper would do what was needed to get the unit in shape for the next guests.

We were not charged at checkout so I assume we left the units in acceptable condition. I do recall last time I stayed at Newport Coast that I cleaned out the refrigerator and put all the dishes in the dishwasher but no one told me to do it or I would be charged.

I am not opposed to having a charge if things are not left in a certain condition though. I just think it needs to be clearly disclosed. I think posting the kitchen rules in the kitchen would make sense as I never think to read the room guides although they could tell you to be sure to read it, I guess.

I agree!

The booklet states "we ask you kindly help us conserve energy . . ." I would not interpret this as being mandatory and certainly not to the point of having an extra charge for not loading the dishwasher and starting it any more than having my blinds/drapes open at 1:00 p.m. which is also in that same section.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I agree!

The booklet states "we ask you kindly help us conserve energy . . ." I would not interpret this as being mandatory and certainly not to the point of having an extra charge for not loading the dishwasher and starting it any more than having my blinds/drapes open at 1:00 p.m. which is also in that same section.

The booklet says "Before checkout, load and start the dishwasher". Sounds like a requirement to me. The claim was DSV and many other places had no such notice. Yes, you have to actually read. No matter where they put it, you still have to read, no one can make you read (except via the technique noted below). Yes, every MVCI we have stayed in over 20 years we've seen the notice, though not in the same place. I was just posting to point out yet again, notice is there. For me, I don't want 10 different notices for things all over my villa. Takes away from the appeal. Like no pets, etc. The same claim can be made about any policy.

That being said, I do agree that a statement should be there about fee. I like what some resorts do, where you initial that you understand each policy during checkin. So, if it says please note if you don't do this you will get a fee, and you initial it, your problem. In that way, you have verified you have read it (and if you just initialed to make it faster without reading too bad). A notice does not make you read it. Keeps in room clutter away.

We should be good stewards. It takes very little time and effort.

Last edited:

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I do recall last time I stayed at Newport Coast that I cleaned out the refrigerator and put all the dishes in the dishwasher but no one told me to do it or I would be charged.

So, are you claiming it's not there in Newport Coast, or just the fee aspect. Shall I post that one? I can't believe people don't read the info (whereever it is), not cover to cover. It's like one minute of time. Where's the trash bins, whats the number for the concierge, etc. I guess I am alone, just seems useful to me. I guess that's why I always see it, just looking for info on things I might care about.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
The booklet says "Before checkout, load and start the dishwasher". Sounds like a requirement to me. The claim was DSV and many other places had no such notice. Yes, you have to actually read. No matter where they put it, you still have to read, no one can make you read (except via the technique noted below). Yes, every MVCI we have stayed in over 20 years we've seen the notice, though not in the same place. I was just posting to point out yet again, notice is there. For me, I don't want 10 different notices for things all over my villa. Takes away from the appeal. Like no pets, etc. The same claim can be made about any policy.

That being said, I do agree that a statement should be there about fee. I like what some resorts do, where you initial that you understand each policy during checkin. So, if it says please note if you don't do this you will get a fee, and you initial it, your problem. In that way, you have verified you have read it (and if you just initialed to make it faster without reading too bad). A notice does not make you read it. Keeps in room clutter away.

I don't agree. Putting it in a book that most don't look at with no notice or notification at checkin is not sufficient to make it a requirement IMO. For this exact situation there really are only 3 possible answers. Either they left it messy enough to be an outlier, the resort is being over the top or the resort made a mistake possibly cross-referencing villas.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
I don't agree. Putting it in a book that most don't look at with no notice or notification at checkin is not sufficient to make it a requirement IMO. For this exact situation there really are only 3 possible answers. Either they left it messy enough to be an outlier, the resort is being over the top or the resort made a mistake possibly cross-referencing villas.

People sure like to make excuses to try and get out of things. It's not there, it isn't worded the way I want, it's not in the exact spot I would put it in, what's the meaning of the word requirement, etc. etc. Geez. I do agree with your 3 explanations. I am not saying they deserved the charges, simply don't know and wasn't there. I doubt it was for merely not loading the dishwasher. We don't know if they left a weeks worth of dishes with dried stuff in them all over the villa, or, maybe they left it pretty much good shape.

As mentioned, initialing at checkin would make this clearer for those "reading challenged". For me, I will always follow good manners and do as asked.

Last edited:

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX
People sure like to make excuses to try and get out of things. It's not there, it isn't worded the way I want, it's not in the exact spot I would put it in, what's the meaning of the word requirement, etc. etc. Geez. I do agree with your 3 explanations. I am not saying they deserved the charges, simply don't know and wasn't there. I doubt it was for merely not loading the dishwasher. We don't know if they left a weeks worth of dishes with dried stuff in them all over the villa, or, maybe they left it pretty much good shape.

As mentioned, initialing at checkin would make this clearer for those "reading challenged". For me, I will always follow good manners and do as asked.

@Steve Fatula I believe this may be the first thing I've seen you post with which I disagree. As far as being "reading challenged", you have taken the information out of context.

The booklet states:

". . .We ask that you kindly help us conserve energy while in your villa:
  • Before checkout, load and start the dishwasher, . . ."

Having a bulleted list after the colon preceded by "We ask that you kindly help us . . ." is not quite the same as interpreting that it is mandatory. If the bulleted item was not after the information preceding the colon then yes it is mandatory, but preceding it with "kindly help us conserve energy" does not give the connotation of anything mandatory.

VacationForever

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

Steve, you have to show me this evening where to locate the dos and don'ts. We have not found it at either DSV I or II units.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score

We'll have to disagree, a listing in a booklet laying on the table or somewhere is simply not sufficient notification. We do those things as a matter of habit, it's not a question of looking for excuses. I've seen those listing many times at other timeshares and they're always a laminated notification or even a plastic placard.

bazzap

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
$250 is a very large fee for additional housekeeping charges required.
I would certainly have asked for documented details with photos and evidence to justify any such fees imposed.
It was interesting to read an MVC Owners Connection fb group post today referencing another fee for exactly $250 for cleaning when pets have been found in units.
“If the pet is found in a room, the registered occupant will be charged a $250 room cleaning fee and the pet will be evicted.”

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
I wish the OP would come back and explain what happen. When they question the additional housekeeping fees by the resort ?

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
I will just say I go visit someone at their home and I consider it filty where they think it is clean. Everyones standards are different. Some people think any mess they make housekeeping should clean which is wrong, because they paid to stay.

I would never leave dirty pots in my unit when I left. I can’t even comprehend how someone thinks that is ok.

Some of my timeshares have by laws on what is expected when you occupy the unit. You can say its not their responsibilty to remind you each time. It would lessen the misunderstanding on fees if you had to initial and sign at check in a paper that states the fees. All of my smaller timeshare have this form at check in.

jhac007

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Ko Olina BC, Waioha BC, Crystal Shores (2 Gold), Kierland (Gold Plus), Ocean Pointe, Eagle's Nest, Vistana BC, Villas at Doral, Mizner Place, Windward Pointe, Star Island
So, are you claiming it's not there in Newport Coast, or just the fee aspect. Shall I post that one? I can't believe people don't read the info (whereever it is), not cover to cover. It's like one minute of time. Where's the trash bins, whats the number for the concierge, etc. I guess I am alone, just seems useful to me. I guess that's why I always see it, just looking for info on things I might care about.

........and these folks are probably some of the same folks that wonder why they can't check in early, will dig thru everything to find the best restaurants, somehow they figure how to get on the internet, smoke on balconies where it is clearly stated no smoking in units/balconies and the list goes on. If an indiviual(s) has been around TS's any length they have more than likely heard/seen this expectation before and one has to wonder if they have done this before and gotten away with it! The OP's statement"I mean its a kitchen unit where food will likely be cooked/served and pots/pans used up" to me reflects an attitude, not a matter of "I didn't know".

pedro47

TUG Member
Reaction score
Panina, I can agree with your comments about visiting some people homes. They are filthy and dirty and their bathrooms needs to be sanitized with 100% pure Clorox.

Let me stop.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
@Steve Fatula I believe this may be the first thing I've seen you post with which I disagree. As far as being "reading challenged", you have taken the information out of context.

The booklet states:

". . .We ask that you kindly help us conserve energy while in your villa:
  • Before checkout, load and start the dishwasher, . . ."

Having a bulleted list after the colon preceded by "We ask that you kindly help us . . ." is not quite the same as interpreting that it is mandatory. If the bulleted item was not after the information preceding the colon then yes it is mandatory, but preceding it with "kindly help us conserve energy" does not give the connotation of anything mandatory.

No, we actually agree that it is badly written. Obviously, loading and running a dishwasher is not conserving energy, it's using energy. It doesn't belong in that section and is a mistake for sure. Though it is not written that way, it's clear to me what it means as almost all timeshares request that. But I think we all know we are "encouraged" (maybe that word will work) to do so and it makes sense. If they get to your villa at 2:30pm and checkin is 4pm, and the dishes are dirty and not loaded, it won't even complete by 4pm. Sure, they can have more workers, wash by hand, etc., it just drives up cost. Most likely they play the averages and expect x% of folks to do so. That's why I agree with Deans 3 possibilities, though it seems he thinks I do not even though I also advocated better notice, i.e. improvement.

As far as I know, I have never said I agree they should be charged as I was not there. If I did that was a mistake. But saying they shouldn't is an assumption too. I am just surprised so many people are saying they don't know this, shocked really.

I know it's not exactly the same thing, but, I did not find a policy that says don't wreck the furniture, don't steal the TV, etc. Common sense however.....

But thanks for the kind words, nothing wrong with disagreeing. I think some are reading what I am saying in a manner I did not intend. I was mostly not responding to the OP, just at those who wanted to claim there is no notice or worse, have never ever heard of it. I just find it surprising. I must be the outlier!

Humorously, at the front desk this time, there was a big bold sign on the desk about no pets! I asked if it was really THAT bad, and she said worse. Fortunately, I still have not heard any. I suppose one could miss that sign.

Last edited:

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
That's why I agree with Deans 3 possibilities, though it seems he thinks I do not even though I also advocated better notice, i.e. improvement.
Steve, it's this that I disagree with in this context.
People sure like to make excuses to try and get out of things.
I agree that many shirk personal responsibility and tend to participate in situational ethics. So I agree that if it's a rule then people should follow it. Personally I think we should all do things to make it easy to clean and leave things are reasonable as possible and we do all of these things and more on a consistent basis just to be helpful. What I disagree with is the idea that having such info ONLY in a book that's sometimes present and sometimes not, is not sufficient notice no matter the wording and that's true even if it were present 100% of the time. Your inference, which I find offensive, is that holding that belief is making excuses. And that's where we'll have to agree to disagree if you meant it as you stated.

Steve Fatula

TUG Member
Reaction score
Steve, it's this that I disagree with in this context.
I agree that many shirk personal responsibility and tend to participate in situational ethics. So I agree that if it's a rule then people should follow it. Personally I think we should all do things to make it easy to clean and leave things are reasonable as possible and we do all of these things and more on a consistent basis just to be helpful. What I disagree with is the idea that having such info ONLY in a book that's sometimes present and sometimes not, is not sufficient notice no matter the wording and that's true even if it were present 100% of the time. Your inference, which I find offensive, is that holding that belief is making excuses. And that's where we'll have to agree to disagree if you meant it as you stated.

Dean,

Was not trying to offend anyone, and certainly not you! Some of the posts here have had that gist (excuses), to me. But also, to me, even if it were in no book anytime anywhere, one should not leave a unit in a mess. It still sounds to me like we agree. I think more people now realize it should be a little tidied up at least, so, maybe there is a good outcome. Your dispute is you don't call it a rule, and I do. Call it a suggestion and a goodwill gesture. I am sure you still agree it is higly unlikely, without an error, it was applied merely for a few dishes not loaded.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
Dean,

Was not trying to offend anyone, and certainly not you! Some of the posts here have had that gist (excuses), to me. But also, to me, even if it were in no book anytime anywhere, one should not leave a unit in a mess. It still sounds to me like we agree. I think more people now realize it should be a little tidied up at least, so, maybe there is a good outcome. Your dispute is you don't call it a rule, and I do. Call it a suggestion and a goodwill gesture. I am sure you still agree it is higly unlikely, without an error, it was applied merely for a few dishes not loaded.
Absolutely except I do think it’s unreasonable to hold that as a rule when it’s only listed as such in this manner.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara

I do not remember if there was a warning or not. They gave me a paper and I read that. I did clean up before I left and I was not charged any extra fees. I have never been charged extra fees at checkout so I must be neat enough.