• The TUGBBS forums are completely free and open to the public and exist as the absolute best place for owners to get help and advice about their timeshares for more than 30 years!

Join Tens of Thousands of other Owners just like you here to get any and all Timeshare questions answered 24 hours a day!
  • TUG started 30 years ago in October 1993 as a group of regular Timeshare owners just like you!

Read about our 30th anniversary: Happy 30th Birthday TUG!
  • TUG has a YouTube Channel to produce weekly short informative videos on popular Timeshare topics!

Free memberships for every 50 subscribers!

Visit TUG on Youtube!
  • TUG has now saved timeshare owners more than $21,000,000 dollars just by finding us in time to rescind a new Timeshare purchase! A truly incredible milestone!

Read more here: TUG saves owners more than $21 Million dollars

60,000+ subscribing owners! A weekly recap of the best Timeshare resort reviews and the most popular topics discussed by owners!
  • Our official "end my sales presentation early" T-shirts are available again! Also come with the option for a free membership extension with purchase to offset the cost!

All T-shirt options here!
  • A few of the most common links here on the forums for newbies and guests!

Beach Place Tower - Unreasonable Housekeeping charges after checkout

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
So, are you claiming it's not there in Newport Coast, or just the fee aspect. Shall I post that one? I can't believe people don't read the info (whereever it is), not cover to cover. It's like one minute of time. Where's the trash bins, whats the number for the concierge, etc. I guess I am alone, just seems useful to me. I guess that's why I always see it, just looking for info on things I might care about.

Just an FYI, at home I hire housekeepers so why would I want to clean a timeshare? Vacation is supposed to be an escape and offer something better than what you can get by staying home. While I have never been charged extra when I leave, I would be pretty upset if I were. It is ridiculous to go on vacation and be expected to go above and beyond what is expected in a hotel...or at home (if you have housekeepers). Also keep in mind that most of the Marriotts and Disneys also have hotel guests who are not expected to do anything and they stay in the same exact units timeshare owners stay in. I would think they would treat people who pay and visit annually as just slightly more special than hotel guests.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
All Resale: MVC DPs, Marriott Ko Olina, Marriott Marbella, WKOVR-N, Four Seasons Aviara
People sure like to make excuses to try and get out of things. It's not there, it isn't worded the way I want, it's not in the exact spot I would put it in, what's the meaning of the word requirement, etc. etc. Geez. I do agree with your 3 explanations. I am not saying they deserved the charges, simply don't know and wasn't there. I doubt it was for merely not loading the dishwasher. We don't know if they left a weeks worth of dishes with dried stuff in them all over the villa, or, maybe they left it pretty much good shape.

As mentioned, initialing at checkin would make this clearer for those "reading challenged". For me, I will always follow good manners and do as asked.

I do agree that if people are pigs and leave a timeshare or a hotel room in a terrible condition, they should be charged. I also agree with Dean that the notice needs to be clear and reasonable.

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Maui Ocean Club Napili building, Lawai Beach Resort
I do not remember if there was a warning or not. They gave me a paper and I read that. I did clean up before I left and I was not charged any extra fees. I have never been charged extra fees at checkout so I must be neat enough.
I've been timeshareing since 1975 and always clean up and run the dishwasher on the way out the door before check out. Never thought of not cleaning up after myself. Is this a new thing?

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
I've been timeshareing since 1975 and always clean up and run the dishwasher on the way out the door before check out. Never thought of not cleaning up after myself. Is this a new thing?

I do too, I just did not realize this was required or we would be charged $250. If I were charged $250 for not running a dishwasher, that would be my last visit ever to that location. That is pretty ridiculous in my opinion.

TravelTime

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
PS I have always cleaned up hotel rooms before I leave...not because of a fee...just because it seems like the right thing to do.

I just do not agree that we should be charged a huge fee for a minor infraction.

Dean

TUG Review Crew
TUG Member
Reaction score
It's been interesting over the years to see variations in this area at different resorts. I've seen many different inventory sheets and approaches as well as a number of variations on how the requirements are posted. In some cases they seemed quite heavy handed, in others mere suggestions. We were at a small Wyndham resort in Dec that had probably the most strict and exact requirements I've seen. They were very detailed and specific and somewhat threatening if you didn't follow the instructions to the letter. For the most part they were things we would have done anyway but there were a couple of things we would not have automatically done exactly as listed including vacuuming. I've also seen resorts with inventory's where, as written, you were responsible for any missing items not listed as missing on the inventory and turned in by a given deadline. We approach timeshares as we do other things in life including philosophies of treat others as you'd want to be treated and many hands make light work.

pedro47

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
We always cleaned our timeshare villa before we checked out. Because, we want the next family to be able to enjoy the timeshare villa as much as we did.

Last edited:

klpca

TUG Review Crew: Veteran
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
SDO, Quarter House, Seapointe, Coronado Beach, Carlsbad Inn, Worldmark
A few years ago my sister and I were scouting timeshares on Kauai for a return visit. When we went to Hanalei Bay Resort, they said that we could tour a unit but that it had not been cleaned. No big deal we said, and off we went. When we got to the unit I could not believe my eyes. It was an absolute messy, dirty unit, with scraps of fabric and pieces of thread everywhere, like someone had been quilting and just threw their scraps on the floor. So weird. But it made me understand what housekeeping has to deal with, even if only on an occasional basis. That unit was going to take twice as long to clean, because those scraps of fabric would need to be picked up by hand before vacuuming, and probably some of the thread pieces too. The kitchen was also dirty, but more of a normal dirty (dishes, glasses in the sink).

I always look for cleaning instructions in the unit because they all seem to be slightly different. It is a force of habit after doing VRBO's before we started timesharing. Vacation rentals always have very specific checkout instructions.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
PS I have always cleaned up hotel rooms before I leave...not because of a fee...just because it seems like the right thing to do.
Me too, but it is because Housekeeping was my first job at 15 years old and anything I can do to make their job easier I do. My DH probably thinks I'm a little nuts.

controller1

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin KORVN OF
Westin Nanea OF
Westin FLEX

I just do not agree that we should be charged a huge fee for a minor infraction.

Me too, but it is because Housekeeping was my first job at 15 years old and anything I can do to make their job easier I do. My DH probably thinks I'm a little nuts.

I do the same but also probably because I worked for a hotel for four years while in college.

As to the timeshare cleaning issue, we never leave a mess but we don't ensure our dishes are in the dishwasher and we never vacuum the timeshare. We've only been timesharing since 2005 and I guess we are spoiled with Vistana timeshares. The warning/suggestion/pleading on cleaning the timeshare unit is not posted nor a requirement in the Vistana system. We've only spent time in Vistana units so this thread is eye-opening to me.

SandyPGravel

Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Westin St. John Plat+
2 BR-VGV
Westin St. John Plat
2 BR-BV
As to the timeshare cleaning issue, we never leave a mess but we don't ensure our dishes are in the dishwasher and we never vacuum the timeshare. We've only been timesharing since 2005 and I guess we are spoiled with Vistana timeshares. The warning/suggestion/pleading on cleaning the timeshare unit is not posted nor a requirement in the Vistana system. We've only spent time in Vistana units so this thread is eye-opening to me.

Same here, only have stayed in VSE properties. I need to branch out though, because I want to go to Key West. :banana:

Panina

TUG Review Crew: Elite
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Hgvc Anderson, Blue Ride Village Resort
Left at our door two days prior to checkout at HGVC’s affiliate South Seas Captiva. Might be good for all resorts to remind you what needs to be done.

5E977970-D00D-45ED-B1CE-C5F7D64E28EB.jpeg
This was

tschwa2

TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
A few in S and VA, a single resort in NC, MD, PA, and UT, plus Jamaica and the Bahamas
I still have a feeling for a $250 fee at a Marriott VC, the resort had some kind of evidence of a pet or smoking in the unit.

silentg

TUG Review Crew: Expert
TUG Member
Reaction score
Resorts Owned
Fitzpatrick's Castle Holiday Homes,
Enchanted Isle.
I always clean up when we leave DH is more of a stickler than me.But we both leave the place the way we found it.

bazzap

TUG Member
Reaction score